Voters Lukewarm as President Seeks Full Term

Voters Lukewarm as President Seeks Full Term
EBC Exclusive: Darcness to seek full term amid tough electorate
Written by McEntire

(Europeia - June 7, 2017) - With standing for the next Presidential election to open shortly, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) polled the region and found that many voters are disillusioned and may be open to change. Much like our previous pre-standing poll, for the May Senate elections, the sample was slightly skewed towards younger members, with 57.1 percent indicating that they arrived in the region in 2015 or more recently. First, we will examine voter's opinions of the current term, then their preferences regarding the upcoming elections.

On the verge of a new election, a plurality of Europeians feel that we are headed in the right direction. Among those who responded to the poll, 48.6 percent say we're headed in the right direction, 28.6 percent think we're off on the wrong track, and 22.9 percent aren't sure. We cannot do an apples-to-apples comparison from the previous poll, though, because this time we allowed respondents to indicate that they're undecided. Compared to our previous poll, less respondents said both right direction and wrong track.

Current Term

Multiple sources have confirmed to the EBC that President Darcness intends to launch his own campaign for the presidency when the standing period opens. This poll contains mixed news for President Darcness, who has a 47.1 percent approval rating, with 29.4 percent disapproving. In the comments, many gave him good marks for taking over in a bad situation and doing a serviceable job. While a solid plurality approve of his job performance, less-than-majority approval is not necessarily the place you want to be in heading into what could be a bruising election campaign.

Half of the President's Cabinet has majority approval from the citizens. Minister of Communications Deepest House received the highest approval rating at 88.6 percent, and his term has been widely praised. "We've worked hard to achieve the record results we have this term," Deepest House said when informed of the results of the EBC poll. "The success of the ministry this term is due to the hard work of my deputies, Kuramia and McEntire, and the entire staff of talented writers who have produced an unprecedented amount of content. I am extremely proud that their hard work is recognized by the citizens."

Minister of Radio Cat came in second in approval ratings at 82.9 percent. Voters consistently brought up Communications and Radio as bright spots in the term, and it shows in these ministers' ratings. Following not far behind is Foreign Affairs Minister Writinglegend at 77.1 percent, who is trailed by Grand Admiral Common-Sense Politics at 57.1 percent. Culture Minister XIV also registers majority approval, despite coming in mid-term.

The other half of the President's Cabinet received approval from a minority of voters, although FA Minister Rach and Attorney General Drecq received better marks than the President. Rach, Drecq, and Interior Minister Leo all post respectable ratings, with higher approval than disapproval. Vice President Malashaan receives an extremely low 14.3 percent approval rating, although a majority of voters were either undecided or made other comments, mostly that they hadn't seen enough of his work to judge. Rounding out the Cabinet is Chief Advisor Kraketopia, a holdover from President Calvin who has not been very visible this term. Still, 48.6 percent of voters disapprove of his job performance, with only 5.7 percent approving.

In terms of highlights of the President's time in office, the most respondents (6) gave him some measure of credit for stepping up when needed and rolling with the punches. Voters also give him some credit for the Treaty of Westminster (4) and the Honored Citizens referendum (3). Other citizens seemed to think that there wasn't much of a highlight, or thought that he perhaps needed more time. Voters faulted Darcness for not having done much of anything (6), the Honored Citizens vote (6), and the Europeian Standard (2).

Treaty of Westminster (2)

Radio and Comms have both been excellent so far, whether that is Darc or the ministers, good job.

Nothing to speak of yet

Considering that he's only served for half a term it's hard to find a real highlight; the treaty of westminster was good, but I feel like Darcness' presidency thus far has just been a caretaker role. I would like to see him have his own term under his own direction before I really judge him.

Taking over midterm, but moreso as a newcomer to the Goldenblock, just maintaining the Ship of State is hard enough work and he's done a commendable job at that.

Highlight?

Him getting the job

Nothing sticks out

Treaty?

The fact that it's almost over.

the referendum

Providing stability/rolling with the punches after taking office

Sending the the HC Speaking Rights to Referendum. A highlight doesn't mean it's good.

Referendum shitstorm

Stepping up when needed.

Inaugration?

Communications

That he isn't Calvin
Interior really hasn't done anything, like all term

Honored Citizens Vote

Not much has happened in the second half of the term, which isn't great, because not much happened the first half of the term either.

I wish we could see a bit more assertiveness from him, but I think he's still trying to find how he wants to run his own administration which is harder when the team and agenda wasnt his to begin with.

The Referendum

Not doing anything different. This is still Calvin just with a new face plastered on.

Nothing sticks out

The lack of him doing anything.

the referendum

Where's the Standard

I understand that he also inherited Kraken, but where's the accountability there? Where's the Standard?

Again, speaking rights.

He seemed to lose a lot of energy after the referendum

HC referendum

Handling of CAIN

Boring
Not exclusive to this administration, but we need a stronger stance from the Executive on how the government and its various institutions work for the people. I think a lot of newer citizens feel excluded, even though it's fairly easy to actually become active. I believe there's either a disconnect in communication or understanding newer members concerns.

Coasting to the end, it seems

Comms was excellent. Radio was good too

Two of the Cabinet picks had great potential but ended up being very weak due to low activity in their ministry.

Nothing has been done this term. It's very disappointing.

Disaster with Calvin at the helm, solid under Darc, setting himself up well for Prez run

For being so new, Darc is doing very well.

Given what Darc inherited when he got the job, he's been fair so far.

Darcness arguably found himself in a difficult situation. While I couldn't name any highlights, or great disappointments for that matter, I think he has done relatively well.

Upcoming Election

And now, the bad news for President Darcness. only 22.9 percent would vote to re-elect the President, compared to 31.4 percent that would vote for another candidate. There was also a large group of undecided voters, and also several who chose "Other" and said that it would depend on who the other candidate was. So while the President has many voters to convince, the good news is that there are many voters who are willing to be convinced, or at least not against the President at this point. Voters are more optimistic than pessimistic about this election, by a margin of 48.6 percent to 34.3 percent, with 17.1 percent saying that they're neither.

"These results show that our region is looking for someone who can get things done, who can lead our region, old members and newcomers alike, into the future," Darcness said after the EBC briefed him on the results. The President confirmed the information the EBC received from its sources regarding a run for the presidency in the next election. "I'll be looking forward to that opportunity when I run for President in the upcoming election."

The Europeian that most respondents mentioned as a potential candidate was Common-Sense Politics, the current Grand Admiral who lost to former President Calvin Coolidge last term in a bruising and hard-fought campaign. In second place is the former long-serving President Writinglegend, followed by the incumbent, Darcness. Following that top tier is Malashaan, Cat, and McEntire tied with three votes each. No other candidate was mentioned more than twice.

Overall, the president is facing a potentially tough re-election, which he intends to seek. While voters may be lukewarm on the president, they are not necessarily cold. There are many persuadable voters, and many who will give Darcness a chance, given that he stepped up when Calvin Coolidge resigned the office. If Grand Admiral Common-Sense Politics were to take a pass on running this time, it would significantly clear the path for Darcness. As standing opens, the region is ready for leadership.

Stay tuned, in the coming days the EBC will release the second half of the poll results, including the region's views on our Chancellors!

Great stuff, Mac.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what Darcness' approvals are if a credible candidate doesn't come forward to challenge him. :p

Interesting! Nice graphics and choice of colours, too.

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Great stuff, Mac.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what Darcness' approvals are if a credible candidate doesn't come forward to challenge him. :p
+1

I hope we get at least a somewhat competitive campaign here, but I have my doubts.

You guys really want me to run again, eh? Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results. :ph43r:

Great analysis, interesting article. Also: Kraken still has a job how...?

Back