The Story Of The Little Red President

The Story Of The Little Red President
By HEM

A Little Red President lived on a Farm called "Europeia". He spent almost all of his time going around the Farm in a picketty fashion, trying to improve life for everyone. Sometimes he planted seeds for crops, sometimes he pulled weeds out of the dirt, sometimes he made sure everyone had enough food.

He dearly loved the Farm and his fellow barn animals. He enjoyed the magic of seeing a group of people come together and build an active, social, fun farm. Nothing made him prouder than seeing all of his fellow citizens together having a good time.

A Horse usually napped lazily in the Spam Zone, not even bothering herself to scare the rat who ran here and there as he pleased. And as for the Pig who lived in #eurochat—he did not care what happened so long as he could eat and remain idle.

One day the Little Red President realized that so much more could be accomplished if he had some help. After mulling around the farm and thinking about it, he decided that he would appoint some assistants. A Cabinet, he would call them.

So he thought of the Pig—upon whom time must hang heavily and of the Horse who had nothing to do, and of the great fat Rat with his idle hours, and he called loudly:

“I need some assistants! Who wants to help me build this farm??”

Initially nobody stirred.

“Come on friends, we need to keep this farm together for people to enjoy!” The Little Red President yelled again.

Slowly, a few bodies came shuffling forward.

“Excellent!” The Little Red President said.

He pointed at the Horse, “You will be Minister of Fun!”

The Horse nodded, proud of his new title.

“You will be Minister of Responsibilities!” The Little Red President said to the Pig.

The Pig looked proud, and began walking around with a distinct strut.

“You will be Minister of Excitement,” The Little Red President told the Rat.

And the Little Red President sent them on their way, with a promise that they would help him build a farm that everyone could enjoy.

The Little Red President resumed his current tasks, and while he got occasionally distracted by more important matters, he mostly remained focused on the farm.

Then one day not long after, the Horse came to the President.

“I’m afraid I stubbed my toe when trotting around the barnyard today!” the Horse told the Little Red President.

“I’m sorry to hear that!” The Little Red President exclaimed.

“Yes, yes,” The Horse said contemplatively. “I’m afraid I will have to resign my position.”

“Resign?” The Little Red President said. “Surely you might consider continuing after taking a few days to nurse your toe!”

“No, No,” The Horse responded deliberatively. “I’m afraid I cannot.”

“Very well then,” The Little Red President responded. “I wish you the best.”

A few hours went by, and the Little Red President resumed his review of the grounds. He walked past a field where he saw some animals playing. He smiled, he loved the sight of his friends having a good time.

Then in the distance, he saw the Horse. The Horse was galloping down the Spam Zone fields, seemingly without a care in the world. He was making joyful noises as he played with his fellow animals.

I thought he had a toe that was hurt beyond repair, the Little Red President thought to himself.

Before he could think another thought, however, the Little Red President was interrupted by none other than the Pig.

“I’m afraid my voice has gone hoarse while yelling during the games today,” the Pig told the Little Red President.

“Yes, yes.” The Pig said contemplatively. “I’m afraid I will have to resign my position.”

“Resign?” The Little Red President said. “Surely you might consider continuing after taking a few days to nurse your voice!”

“No, no,” The Pig responded deliberatively. “I’m afraid I cannot.”

A few hours went by and the Little Red President was inspecting the facilities in the #eurochat barn. He was making sure that the foundations were secure and that there was a fresh coat of paint on the south side when he heard a noise.

Peering into the barn he saw The Pig, shouting excitedly with his friends. He was engaged in a heated debate, where the Pig’s crystal clear voice pierced the air at a frequency above everyone else’s.

I thought he had a voice that was hurt beyond repair, The Little Red President thought to himself.

Before he could think another thought, however, the Little Red President was interrupted by none other than the Rat.

“I’m afraid my tail was injured while hanging out in the Republic Square chicken coop,” the Rat told the Little Red President.

“Yes, yes,” the Rat said contemplatively. “I’m afraid I’ll have to resign my position.”

“Resign?” The Little Red President said. “Surely you might consider continuing after taking a few days to nurse your tail.”

“No, no,” the Rat responded deliberatively. “I’m afraid I cannot.”

A few hours went by and the Little Red President was finally heading to bed when he found himself surrounded by a crowd of his friends.

“Why has the farm been so quiet?” a crowd of horses, rats, cows, and pigs demanded. “Why hasn’t the barn been painted? Why are the fences in desperate need of repair? Why aren’t the other farms showing us the respect we deserve?”

“I’m sorry,” The Little Red President said. “I’ll try to take care of it tomorrow!”

“You better!” The crowd said. And off in the distance, the Little Red President saw the Rat, the Horse, and the Pig playing scrambling off to the #eurochat barn where they would play games that involved yelling, running, and hanging from one’s tail.

I'm not a fan of this piece. We shouldn't make people feel ashamed for participating casually in Europeia after resigning a role which is much more stressful and demanding. From the discussions on it on discord; HEM was unwilling to single Ministers out for this behaviour critiquing instead a general culture. If you can't give examples of this, then it has no basis in reality and is based on feelings rather than facts.

Rach said:
I'm not a fan of this piece. We shouldn't make people feel ashamed for participating casually in Europeia after resigning a role which is much more stressful and demanding. From the discussions on it on discord; HEM was unwilling to single Ministers out for this behaviour critiquing instead a general culture. If you can't give examples of this, then it has no basis in reality and is based on feelings rather than facts.
(1) This is a satire piece. It doesn't have a thesis, it doesn't name people by names, and it only fleshes things out so far. My hope is that it opens this topic up for mature, reasoned debate. My hope isn't that people try to directly apply the piece to specific people or situations.

(2) Europeia as an entity has probably more participating members than we ever have had. However, more and more work is being centralized on the backs of fewer and fewer people. This is a long term trend. People are less willing to commit to responsibilities in Europeia because the region, largely, is already provided for. This is a long term trend, probably starting with the introduction of legal script recruitment and stamps.

For the record: I have fervently argued the other side of this topic (i.e. enough people aren't given chances early on, and the burdens of being Ministers are often overstated) and believe those things too. I think we are up against a lot of unique challenges in the region, and they deserve open and honest discussion. There is no one problem, or one solution.

(3) I'm not going to "single out" people. People resign. Individual situations vary. If it helps make my point though, I've certainly resigned from situations without necessarily needing to (in instances where the region might be better off with me staying, and no real RL implications for me doing so).

If this piece had singled anyone out, it would not have been published.

JayDee said:
If this piece had singled anyone out, it would not have been published.
Is this a new policy in light of DH's hyper personal attack that was published in the EBC yesterday?

The point of this article seems to be "people who resign are lazy and don't want to work", which I don't think is what HEM was aiming for, so this article seems to be a swing and a miss.

Alternatively the point of this article could be, and if it is it isn't made very well, that when people resign the President is forced to pick up the slack and extend themselves further and further, which means they are able to accomplish fewer and fewer of the things they set out to accomplish, and people aren't very understanding of that.

HEM said:
For the record: I have fervently argued the other side of this topic (i.e. enough people aren't given chances early on, and the burdens of being Ministers are often overstated) and believe those things too. I think we are up against a lot of unique challenges in the region, and they deserve open and honest discussion. There is no one problem, or one solution.
I would think the other side is our casual culture which you have maligned in pieces such as Discord is Hell rather than on the political culture. It is fairly clear from the article that the apple in the Garden of Eden is not the difficulty of being a Minister but rather the lure of our casual casual culture.

It's actually more rooted in the fact that satires, at least in my opinion, tend to be a bit harsher. Satires can go beyond criticism into complete ridicule of many people. While we should be a bit more careful about being overly critical, the EBC has had its fair share of singling people out in the past. I personally prefer to draw the line at satire.

JayDee said:
It's actually more rooted in the fact that satires, at least in my opinion, tend to be a bit harsher. Satires can go beyond criticism into complete ridicule of many people. While we should be a bit more careful about me overly critical, the EBC has had its fair share of singling people out in the past. I personally prefer to draw the line at satire.
I think any reasonable person who looked at yesterday's ebc article and today's ebc article would know immediately which is more toxic inflammatory and personally attacks individuals in this region.

And I agree that there were flaws in how the previous article was handled and that not enough care was taken.

Rach said:
HEM said:
I would think the other side is our casual culture which you have maligned in pieces such as Discord is Hell rather than on the political culture. It is fairly clear from the article that the apple in the Garden of Eden is not the difficulty of being a Minister but rather the lure of our casual casual culture.
That article was intentionally a hot take, and my actual views are more nuanced.

I don't think it's contradictory to see long-term problems with a "casual casual community", and also see tons of other problems that I've pointed out over the years.

PhDre said:
JayDee said:
It's actually more rooted in the fact that satires, at least in my opinion, tend to be a bit harsher. Satires can go beyond criticism into complete ridicule of many people. While we should be a bit more careful about me overly critical, the EBC has had its fair share of singling people out in the past. I personally prefer to draw the line at satire.
I think any reasonable person who looked at yesterday's ebc article and today's ebc article would know immediately which is more toxic inflammatory and personally attacks individuals in this region.

And I agree that there were flaws in how the previous article was handled and that not enough care was taken.
It is quite obvious considering this article doesn't bring up any particular person by name.

JayDee said:
PhDre said:
JayDee said:

It is quite obvious considering this article doesn't bring up any particular person by name.
Even if it did, the message of this article is many times less personal and offensive to Europeian values than yesterdays. This isn't about making names it's about how yesterday's article went for the throat from two comments and created a straw man out of them.

If you cannot see the difference between them, then I really hope someone in addition to you is going to be screening articles before they're published here.

Well the good news for you as that I'm a terrible editor so we always have extra eyes on it anyways. That means it could be about how rainbows are the best and we would still have extra eyes in it.

I'll let the rest speak for itself. One article does not define the nature of the EBC.

JayDee said:
Well the good news for you as that I'm a terrible editor so we always have extra eyes on it anyways. That means it could be about how rainbows are the best and we would still have extra eyes in it.

I'll let the rest speak for itself. One article does not define the nature of the EBC.
So more than one pair of eyes saw that article and felt it was appropriate?

XIV said:
The point of this article seems to be "people who resign are lazy and don't want to work", which I don't think is what HEM was aiming for, so this article seems to be a swing and a miss.

Alternatively the point of this article could be, and if it is it isn't made very well, that when people resign the President is forced to pick up the slack and extend themselves further and further, which means they are able to accomplish fewer and fewer of the things they set out to accomplish, and people aren't very understanding of that.
I think the idea is...sometimes people make excuses for why they need to resign when they really just don't want to do the job anymore. Or whatever their reason is is something that could be fixed by a brief vacation. But the crux of it is that when things get difficult, even for a moment, the solution is to quit. Of course, we give people the benefit of the doubt, but I think we all know that this happens in some cases.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't done this myself.

Do I think we should accuse people of lying and giving up anytime they resign? No. Because we have no way of knowing what each person is actually going though. We should take them at face value. Real life, our health, our families, etc always come first, and we shouldn't make people feel bad for making tough decisions.

But it's important for us to realize that sometimes we should try to tough it out rather than quit at the first sign of trouble.

Back