The Shadow Cabinet

Oliver

Please note that the following is an opinion piece, and the sole responsibility for its content rest with the author.

The Shadow Cabinet

"Step into my parlour, said the spider to the fly..."

It is believed that the phrase "Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition", and the philosophy it implies, are an English invention. It is a rather grand and ambitious thing to say that Government should be opposed, and that that opposition is in its own way a form of service, rather than a hindrance. In the United States, the President "shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient." Anybody who knows me well knows that I think this article has its heart in the right place, but is fundamentally flawed.

The State of the Union is an address. An important one, but nonetheless, it is an address. It is (usually) listened to politely, and the Congressmen are not permitted to question the President as he delivers it. It is important, but it is rather dry and lifeless. It is but a shell when compared to the Question Period a Prime Minister in a Westminster government faces two or three times a week. The Prime Minister and his entire government must face the House, while the critics in the Opposition benches hurl questions at them, which the Ministers must answer on the spot. There is nothing which manages to be simultaneously quite so ugly and so glorious.

Europeia has no Parliament, and its Government is elected by the People and appointed by its President, and has largely relied on the Fourth Estate (newsmedia), individual concerns, and the ballot box to drive criticism. Anybody who's read one of PhDre's Aftermath articles where Anumia had a chance to comment can see how effective this has been for Europeia. The Government does not have a formally recognized body which is to hold it to account.

Well it does, but they don't hold the Government to account, not really. Instead of seeing the Government consistently questioned by a body which is charged to do so for the good of the region, we get a mess of private concerns and snarky news articles. This is not going to help anything. Repeat with me, folks: Critique of Government is part of Government. If it were me, and if I had the power to introduce any change I liked into the Europeian system, I would give up the Senatorial Confirmation of Ministers (shocking!). I would emphasize the Senate's power to bring down the Government and force elections, and I would specifically charge the Senate to be the critical engine of government.

In effect, I would make the Senate into a shadow cabinet.

The concept of a shadow cabinet may not be known to all Europeians, but it works like this. Certain elite members of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition are charged by their Party Leader to be critical of their opposite number, the Minister on the Government bench. At Question Period, it is usually the Critic (member of the shadow cabinet) who poses questions to the Minister Opposite. It is the critic's job to be a nuisance, which forces the Minister to do such a good job that the critic has nothing to be a nuisance about.

Now, imagine that Ministers, rather than being invited to speak in the Europeian Senate, were summoned to answer for their activity. The Senate Critic for Foreign Affairs would ask his questions, and the Minister would answer them, and the people would be better informed. Ministers would do their jobs in the knowledge that they would be held to account for their own work, and Senators would have a chance to truly be the check that they are intended to be. Criticism of the Government would be formalized, expected, and understood to be a form of public service; and the weight of such a responsibility would be ponderous indeed in the hands of the Senators who wield it.

Again. Repeat. Critique of Government is part of Government. To do otherwise is simply to encourage criticism which is informal, unchecked, and often too strong.

Hear hear!

I couldn't find anything I didn't like or would disagree with.

If I weren't already going to vote for you, this would have swayed me.

Moving slightly towards a more Westminster-style approach.

Me love this.

I like the expected result, that much I know. We don't lose anything and we certainly have a lot to gain from it. Of course it may lead to a Minister not knowing who to please, the president he serves or the Senator who publicly grills him. This might give the legislature too much influence over the executive as they would then not only have the power to remove them (which they already have) but to manipulate policy in contradiction with our legitimately elected leader. Ollie go ahead and sweep away my fear now, please.

I like the expected result, that much I know. We don't lose anything and we certainly have a lot to gain from it. Of course it may lead to a Minister not knowing who to please, the president he serves or the Senator who publicly grills him. This might give the legislature too much influence over the executive as they would then not only have the power to remove them (which they already have) but to manipulate policy in contradiction with our legitimately elected leader. Ollie go ahead and sweep away my fear now, please.
Well, couple things.

First of all, we are referring to The People's Loyal Opposition here. Critique and criticism in good faith generally does not involve policy manipulation of the sort you describe. It does mean that there are serious, and more importantly active, controls in oversight.

I should also point out that while it is the Senator's job to critique and criticize, it is not the Minister's job to please the Opposition. It is the Opposition's job to find fault, but it is the Minister's job to best serve Europeia. Imagine a courtroom rather than two squabbling parents. The Minister doesn't have to choose between pleasing his boss and pleasing the Senate, the Minister does what's best for Europeia, the Senate challenges that, and the Europeian People ultimately decide who's right.

I back the ideas behind this concept. This a theme that I was trying to get at in my manifesto, and as such I am broadly in agreement with it, and really think we need to develop and emphasise the principle of the Senate holding the government to account constructively. A huge opportunity for Europeia to improve its political make up.

Well it does, but they don't hold the Government to account, not really. Instead of seeing the Government consistently questioned by a body which is charged to do so for the good of the region, we get a mess of private concerns and snarky news articles. This is not going to help anything.

This is exactly the problem. It causes an overdose of Personality based politics and a complete dearth of Policy based politics.

I would give up the Senatorial Confirmation of Ministers (shocking!)

Point 3 in the ideas section of my manifesto, but better explained here.

I would emphasize the Senate's power to bring down the Government and force elections, and I would specifically charge the Senate to be the critical engine of government.

Point 2 in my opinions and views section was trying to get at this.

Now, imagine that Ministers, rather than being invited to speak in the Europeian Senate, were summoned to answer for their activity. The Senate Critic for Foreign Affairs would ask his questions, and the Minister would answer them, and the people would be better informed. Ministers would do their jobs in the knowledge that they would be held to account for their own work, and Senators would have a chance to truly be the check that they are intended to be. Criticism of the Government would be formalized, expected, and understood to be a form of public service; and the weight of such a responsibility would be ponderous indeed in the hands of the Senators who wield it.

This is an excellent plan.

I can't emphasise enough how I think putting in practise the ideas and principles behind this article will improve Europeia, and I'm committed to seeing that happen. It's a worthwhile investment of time from two points of view:

1) The direct result of more active and policy based politics, which will make the region more attractive.
2) The indirect result of increased accountability and transparency in Government, which I am sure will improve how the Government operates in areas which are usually neglected.

Anybody who's read one of PhDre's Aftermath articles where Anumia had a chance to comment can see how effective this has been for Europeia.
Yes, effective. One can barely count all of the wonderful changes brought about by Aftermath, all of the new Government initiatives, all of the exposés leading to the shutdown of evil, smoke-filled backroom Government programs...

Or not. Seeing as the last Government program that was not in public view was in fact not exposed despite prior knowledge by our glorious leader of accountability, and the general tone and manner of most Three Eyes' presentations often led Government officials (certainly I can speak for myself in the past) to deliberately move in the opposite direction.

Basically, let the Opposition honourably oppose, instead of being douchey. However "fun" the Falconian-era was, it also f**ked a lot of things up. There are better ways to go about it.

Anybody who's read one of PhDre's Aftermath articles where Anumia had a chance to comment can see how effective this has been for Europeia.
Yes, effective. One can barely count all of the wonderful changes brought about by Aftermath, all of the new Government initiatives, all of the exposés leading to the shutdown of evil, smoke-filled backroom Government programs...
I love that your hatred for PhDre blinds you to the fact that I essentially agreed with you that Aftermath was ineffective as an opposition tool. :rolleyes:

Glad to see you've settled down in your retirement. :p

I love that your hatred for PhDre blinds you to the fact that I essentially agreed with you that Aftermath was ineffective as an opposition tool. :rolleyes:
I saw it. Just had to reinforce properly. :p

I liked the article, though. Probably should've said so, but it was only meant to be a "chip in". :p Though this is effectively happening in my absence, I have a stake in it too, as the poor attitude of feigned "opposition" thus far is a big contributor to my lack of desire to hang around. If you can transform the situation into an honourable opposition that respects and does not seek to obstruct the Government, but hammers home every mistake and wrong decision made via better channels (like the Senate, etc) in efforts to improve governance rather than just enjoy putting people down, you'll also be cleaning up the mud involved in current methods of "accountability". Thus, we'd hopefully see less burnout from Government officials, and newcomers less afraid to voice their opinions in the open, instead of from behind a cloak and mask. Everybody wins!

@PhDre - I don't really call what you do, and my responses to it, flaming or flame-baiting, for the vast majority of it. One doesn't write a whole article just to flame-bait, nor does one point out the factual or motivational flaws in it to flame. :p

Glad to see you've settled down in your retirement.  :p
Glad to see you haven't lost your flamebait skills at your age.
I think that both Anumia and myself are veterans of the 'flamebait' at this point.
And you should both know better. Consider the newspaper firmly applied to both your noses.
I...don't understand the reference. I can't blow my nose. :p
Rolled up newspaper. Whapped in the nose. Bad dog.

Ah, of course. See, I'm a cat at times, not a dog...and I was imagining the newspaper as open, thus applied like tissue paper. :p

Back