The Newcomer's First Steps.

The Newcomer's First Steps.

When entering a new region, the first thing most of us feel is disorientation. Whether you are new to the game or just new to the region, finding things on these complicated messes we call forums is immensely difficult for the first few days. Europeia handles this better than most regions with its helpful handbook.

However, the overriding feeling is then 'what now?' Most members join and want to jump right in, and that's what makes the established member's roles so important. Recruitment is the lifeblood of a UCR, and even more important is encouraging new recruits to stay active. Established members are vital in making the region welcoming, helping new members find things to do and places to express themselves.

Again, for the most part the region excels at this. Examples of how to do it right lie with Mousebumples, and the casual comedy with which I was greeted with a baked potato, Lethen who asked insightful questions. Or Malashaan, PhDre, CassyStyles or Kraketopia, all of whom managed to make Europeia feel like a welcoming and comfortable environment where I could see myself staying and becoming highly active.

But amongst these tales of success lies a discordant note. A stark example of how it shouldn't be done. In every region that I have been in I have been an interested and active participant in the Judicial system. It has long been one of the drivers of my activity on NationStates and is something by which I cannot help but judge a region. So my experiences thus far surprised me, in that Europeia ranks the absolute worst region I have ever seen for this aspect of gameplay. I noticed that the launch pad for judicial involvement seemed to be the Bar Association, a seemingly good organisation for accrediting lawyers. After applying, my experience took a rapid turn for the worse. Ignored repeatedly by Common Sense Politics, for no good reason that I can discern, I was today denied my application. Why? For complaining that every applicant bar myself was admitted within a few hours. Not only was I denied, but I was called rude and obnoxious. I invite you all to read through the thread ( beginning in page 4) and make your own judgements.

But what is perhaps absolutely unforgivable in the whole affair, is the attitude of revulsion and holier-than-thou treatment which I, as a relative newcomer to the region, was treated by one of its top politicians. From a brief encounter my whole view of the region immediately became tainted, and I considered whether Europeia was worth the effort to which I had previously been willing to devote. The way in which a newcomer, one who was actively trying to get involved, was treated, was utterly repugnant for a region of such calibre. It shall take me some time before I consider Europeia as a good region again, and I pray that no other newcomer ever have to relive the experience.

The way a region handles those not properly acclimatised to is peculiarities is indicative of the well being of the whole community, and one sour grape can spoil the entire barrel. In every other respect I have found Europeia to be one of the warmest and most welcoming regions I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of, but I was sickened by my treatment at the hands of CSP, and it has tainted the feel of the region for me.

Bit of an overreaction and the intentional comparison of Europeia's 'perfection' and CSP's supposed horribleness was laughable.

Apollo said:
Bit of an overreaction and the intentional comparison of Europeia's 'perfection' and CSP's supposed horribleness was laughable.
When did you show up? :p

WTF I havent finished it yet and I loved Starbuck.

Honestly I thought this was just a general EBC article and that's why I put off reading it. But seeing what's here, and having checked the Bar thread I'm somewhat disgusted. Imperium was a little spammy, but most of it was justified (especially for being a new member). I'll bring this up with CSP.

modernsin said:
At least he didn't reappear as Fat Apollo.

My god, I hated fat Apollo. It was great character development though. That's what I loved most about what happened when they settled down, BSG had great character development.

My favorite episode was the flashback/boxing fight episode "Unfinished Business."

Having obtained that this was not posted with the Minister's permission and is therefore not official EBC content I will be closing this thread.

Back