The Little Senate that Could... have

My aversion to the recent referendum to recall the Senate is well-known to those who kept up with the debate- or lack there of. My concerns now are the far-reaching consequences of this successful recall: the complacency of a region, the lack of any real dedication by the everyman, and those at the top all-too-susceptible to the notorious burnout.

Take a second and look around. Who is recruiting? 4 or 5 citizens. Writing the update? These faces look familiar. Raiding? I see a pattern. It's the same story across the region. The same few citizens are responsible for the upkeep of each aspect of our Republic. Europeia cannot go on like this. Those Senators who were active and dedicated have been alienated. The referendum is a huge "f*** you" to the Senators who have truly given their all to the position, but were denied the opportunity to turn things around. At the time the recall was voted on, only one Senator could be labeled inactive, yet that was the justification for the recall of the entire group. If you were an active Senator, would you run again after the entire region gave you the finger? I certainly wouldn't, nor do I blame those who choose not to. Those who proposed and supported the recall aught to be stepping up to fill those seats, otherwise, the weight of yet another inactive and incompetent Senate is on their heads.

This recall signals a frightening trend in the rest of Europeia, that the majority of citizens who enjoy this region and call it home no longer feel obligated to do any significant work on its behalf. I had great hopes for this term. We were on the climb upward, and doing well. Yet, even with all this success as a tail wind, I am hitting a brick wall each way I turn. Not enough sailors to raid. Not enough recruiters to recruit. Not enough reporters writing articles for the EBC. Not enough ambassadors to support the foreign service. Partially, I blame myself for overemphasizing how great things were during the election. It seems that without fear as a motivator, few want to step up. Where are all the Europeians? What has happened to the dedication of the everyday citizen? Frustration is running rampant in this administration. Running a region as large as Europeia is not a one, two, or even three-man job. It takes a village. Step up and do your duty.

While fear is sadly a good motivator, shame is never. Just a word of advice. There's a negative atmosphere in Europeia that has certainly made it difficult for me to get involved, and I think the tone of this article reflects some of that alienation that I've felt.

While fear is sadly a good motivator, shame is never. Just a word of advice. There's a negative atmosphere in Europeia that has certainly made it difficult for me to get involved, and I think the tone of this article reflects some of that alienation that I've felt.
Until this article, I have never once been negative. Neither have you ever asked to be involved. I'm sorry if you feel alienated, but it certainly has not been purposeful.

Great article, Mr. President! I definitely agree with you -- and notice the same things. The Culture Ministry has essentially been propped up by the same three active people for the last two terms: myself, Seven Deaths, and Drexlore. I can't seem to get anyone else to stay around, be proactive, and actually work.

I didn't agree with the referendum, but what's done is done. Hopefully the next Senate will be able to kick things back into gear and won't be cut off at the knees when one person is inactive and another is on Leave of Absence.

As for this talk of a negative atmosphere keeping people from getting involved, I think that is more of a perception than an actuality now. In the past, there may have been more negativity, but I think there's less now (I can only think of one case of concrete negativity that is recent). People need to get involved; standing behind excuses caused by out-dated perceptions is not helping anyone, and if you want to be involved in a place, then don't let a little perceived negativity stop you.

BUT it is also the summer, when there's always a lull in activity across all of NationStates. We shall see, we shall see.

As for this talk of a negative atmosphere keeping people from getting involved, I think that is more of a perception than an actuality now. In the past, there may have been more negativity, but I think there's less now (I can only think of one case of concrete negativity that is recent). People need to get involved; standing behind excuses caused by out-dated perceptions is not helping anyone, and if you want to be involved in a place, then don't let a little perceived negativity stop you.
It's not specific negativity, it's just being afraid to post in a media outlet or run for Senate for fear of awkward rejection. And if playing an internet game is going to make you feel awkward, then what's really the point of staying? I mean, I know everyone hasn't done their part, but we do have to ask why. That's all I'm saying.

It's not specific negativity, it's just being afraid to post in a media outlet or run for Senate for fear of awkward rejection. And if playing an internet game is going to make you feel awkward, then what's really the point of staying? I mean, I know everyone hasn't done their part, but we do have to ask why. That's all I'm saying.
What is wrong with feeling awkward? :p

But seriously, if you fear the electorate at the moment there are still many other ways to get involved. Could your awkwardness be based on your leaving previously without saying anything?

Great article, Mr. President. As I've said elsewhere, I was thoroughly unimpressed that nobody came to me to discuss the issues with inactivity in the Senate or even give me a heads-up before the referendum was petitioned for. Right now, I'm honestly undecided what I want to do moving forward. I'm certainly not going to stop being involved in the region, but it is hard to get enthusiastic about the Senate after this.

One thing I think might help with recruiting etc. would be more personal approaches/organization by the cabinet. Back before the recruiting script ban kicked in I volunteered to recruit and asked to be PMed with instructions regarding when to start, which recruiting message to use, where to go etc. etc. etc., but I never heard anything. I had intended to pursue it again and start recruiting, but I was pretty busy (yes, really) with the discussions going on in the Senate (particularly the preliminary discussion chamber which most of you can't see) and then the referendum business kicked in so I didn't get to it. I will certainly be recruiting in future once the current situation is resolved and I've decided what direction I want to take moving forward.

But seriously, if you fear the electorate at the moment there are still many other ways to get involved. Could your awkwardness be based on your leaving previously without saying anything?
Probably. :p

But I know that, I own up to that. No shame.

Probably. :p

But I know that, I own up to that. No shame.
Well... I'm looking for new ambassadors and would gladly accept you on to the team if you wish. We are also currently looking at making changes to the structure of the Ministry, so there should be even more opportunities shortly ^_^

Great article, Mr. President! I definitely agree with you -- and notice the same things. The Culture Ministry has essentially been propped up by the same three active people for the last two terms: myself, Seven Deaths, and Drexlore. I can't seem to get anyone else to stay around, be proactive, and actually work.
After I get back, I'll help out in culture anytime you need, just pm me. That same thing applies to any minister. On another note, I agree with sopo's article.

Well argued points.

Also, to be fair... not having many ambassadors in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is partly due to the disappearance of the application thread :p

Awkward? In what sense? :huh: I've never heard of awkward rejection, just rejection. :p And if someone is afraid of running for the Senate or posting in a media outlet because people might disagree, then they shouldn't playing a political simulation game in the first place ( :ph43r: ).

Awkward? In what sense? :huh: I've never heard of awkward rejection, just rejection. :p And if someone is afraid of running for the Senate or posting in a media outlet because people might disagree, then they shouldn't playing a political simulation game in the first place ( :ph43r: ).
Agreed.

Back