The Future of the Senate

Future of the Senate

An opinion piece by Rachel "Kate" Anumia.

Current State

Firstly, I believe that this Senate has been a productive one as it tackles the law index and has been working to streamline the legal mass we have created. However, that being said, this Senate was not a leader. The activity it created, was often due to other people having to seek it out with the exception of Constitution V. In other incidences, this Senate was very much a closed one and with very little proactive engagement with the citizenry. Speaker Swakistek crack down on who can speak in the Senate, very much represented that. This is not the direction I wish to the Senate go into, because it diminishes it’s value for Europeia.

More Seats

We need more seats in the Senate. Even before the election has begun, members of the Electoral Panel, without even waiting for the field to emerge are limiting both the excitement and the number of people who may run. If we are to increase the Senate’s role and increase it’s presence in Europeia, it will require it to be more exciting and to show more leadership. Why not start high and see what emerges? In my experience, the best way to improve an institution is by getting the best minds and hungriest politicians into it. Sell the sizzle.

Members of the region would much rather be Ministers, than Senators which they feel is a lower position by a large margin. People often don’t run when they are guaranteed a position in the executive, a position they feel they can do more for the region. That is not a trend that should continue. The Senate should be a stronger draw than it currently is.

Providing More Leadership

So the question is, how can we make the Senate more important? How can it show more leadership? I have never been a fan of the idea that the Senate should be a conflicting force with the executive. So instead, I believe that it can provide more leadership in three ways:

1.Engagement
2.Leadership on home Issues
3.Leadership on foreign issues

Engagement - The Senate should make more of an effort to make sure that people understand and are up to date on what’s happening, particularity legally. Personally, I can’t always keep up with the Senate along with my other duties. Especially when it seems like a fight to be able to interact with it. Bills should be posted more often in the Grand Hall and ideas should be tested both in the Senate and in the Grand Hall. That way, you increase accountability, you increase citizen awareness and you generate more activity.

Leadership at Home – This requires the Senate to be aware of what’s occurring in the region. I believe and have always supported the idea of a Senate that works with the Presidency in order to accomplish its goals. The Senate has as much of a stake in the wellbeing of this region as the Executive. When it comes to population, culture and Citizen Integration, I feel that this is an area where both institutions can have greater dialogue. Senators should be discussing the issues we face at home and how we can deal with them.

Leadership Abroad – Similar story with Foreign Affairs and the Military, particularity since the Senate is responsible for the maintenance of treaties. This is another area where the Senate should be playing more of a role in.

In conclusion, rather than continue to hold the Senate back I feel that we should work to set it free. Why not encourage more people to run and stroke those fires? If the field doesn’t appear to be able to support a larger Senate, then we pull it back. Why settle for less from the start?

With a greater population and a ton of new citizens, why not use the Senate to create more meaningful opportunities? And not only create those opportunities but also develop them further so that they do even more for our region, increasing the health of our political system. This doesn’t mean that we would take away from the current plans but rather we do it by being more engaging and showing greater leadership by taking up a bigger mantle.

Lethen should run for the Senate to bring his idea's there :)
I'm old, retired, and not on regularly enough.

Did I mention I'm old, retired, and not online regularly enough?

Lethen should run for the Senate to bring his idea's there :)
Oh for the love of-

IDEAS

*Anumia throws a dictionary at Rachel

Also, very much approve of the Senate putting a greater stake in foreign affairs - was one of the first to promote such, in fact; very much disapprove of the RP and meta-RP. Let's leave RL stuff to the Debate Hall...and remember what happened last time RP decorum was being enforced in the Senate. Bad times.

Up with the foreign affairs thing, though.

I see two sides to the citizen involvement/engagement issue. I certainly agree that there should be more communication between the citizenry and the senate, and that we can and should do more. At the same time, there's only so much that the senate can do. Throughout this term I've sought the opinions of citizens, both individually and with general public appeals, and for the most part have received no response at all or some vague "I don't really know" type responses.

There are certainly exceptions to that, and I am very grateful to everyone who's shared thoughts and opinions with me this term. I'd like the next senate, whether I am a member or not, to consider ways we can formally seek opinions of the wider citizenry in a way that encourages active responses. One idea I think is worth considering, and have proposed for individual issues this term, is for the senate to conduct informal opinion polls to establish regional feelings. For example, there is a clear divide at present regarding whether the individual ministries should be legislated in the statutes; but despite requesting public opinion, I still do not have a good feel for what the level of support is for each position in the citizenry at large.

In summary, the senate should lead on this issues, but it/we can only lead if the citizenry is willing to engage. The challenge for the senate is to find ways of interacting with the citizenry in which they will engage.

An Idea I touched on once (though I wasn't the first to do so, almost certainly) during my Run for the Senate back in late April was the idea that the Senate might be able to express its opinion, as a body, about certain foreign policy questions that technically they don't have legal authority on. These 'directives' wouldn't have any binding legal authority, but at the same time, the Senate IS the Senate. If the Senate can agree on a 'directive', then their opinion must be at least somewhat taken into account.

That's the only think I can think of that would lead to more Senatorial influence in foreign affairs directly speaking.

I'm sure their are others, but none come to mind.

Back