The Future of the Senate

Future of the Senate

An opinion piece by Rachel "Kate" Anumia.

Current State

Firstly, I believe that this Senate has been a productive one as it tackles the law index and has been working to streamline the legal mass we have created. However, that being said, this Senate was not a leader. The activity it created, was often due to other people having to seek it out with the exception of Constitution V. In other incidences, this Senate was very much a closed one and with very little proactive engagement with the citizenry. Speaker Swakistek crack down on who can speak in the Senate, very much represented that. This is not the direction I wish to the Senate go into, because it diminishes it’s value for Europeia.

More Seats

We need more seats in the Senate. Even before the election has begun, members of the Electoral Panel, without even waiting for the field to emerge are limiting both the excitement and the number of people who may run. If we are to increase the Senate’s role and increase it’s presence in Europeia, it will require it to be more exciting and to show more leadership. Why not start high and see what emerges? In my experience, the best way to improve an institution is by getting the best minds and hungriest politicians into it. Sell the sizzle.

Members of the region would much rather be Ministers, than Senators which they feel is a lower position by a large margin. People often don’t run when they are guaranteed a position in the executive, a position they feel they can do more for the region. That is not a trend that should continue. The Senate should be a stronger draw than it currently is.

Providing More Leadership

So the question is, how can we make the Senate more important? How can it show more leadership? I have never been a fan of the idea that the Senate should be a conflicting force with the executive. So instead, I believe that it can provide more leadership in three ways:

1.Engagement
2.Leadership on home Issues
3.Leadership on foreign issues

Engagement - The Senate should make more of an effort to make sure that people understand and are up to date on what’s happening, particularity legally. Personally, I can’t always keep up with the Senate along with my other duties. Especially when it seems like a fight to be able to interact with it. Bills should be posted more often in the Grand Hall and ideas should be tested both in the Senate and in the Grand Hall. That way, you increase accountability, you increase citizen awareness and you generate more activity.

Leadership at Home – This requires the Senate to be aware of what’s occurring in the region. I believe and have always supported the idea of a Senate that works with the Presidency in order to accomplish its goals. The Senate has as much of a stake in the wellbeing of this region as the Executive. When it comes to population, culture and Citizen Integration, I feel that this is an area where both institutions can have greater dialogue. Senators should be discussing the issues we face at home and how we can deal with them.

Leadership Abroad – Similar story with Foreign Affairs and the Military, particularity since the Senate is responsible for the maintenance of treaties. This is another area where the Senate should be playing more of a role in.

In conclusion, rather than continue to hold the Senate back I feel that we should work to set it free. Why not encourage more people to run and stroke those fires? If the field doesn’t appear to be able to support a larger Senate, then we pull it back. Why settle for less from the start?

With a greater population and a ton of new citizens, why not use the Senate to create more meaningful opportunities? And not only create those opportunities but also develop them further so that they do even more for our region, increasing the health of our political system. This doesn’t mean that we would take away from the current plans but rather we do it by being more engaging and showing greater leadership by taking up a bigger mantle.

apart from treaties, the Senate really lacks any power to get involved in foreign affairs as a body though.

apart from treaties, the Senate really lacks any power to get involved in foreign affairs as a body though.
The Senate has tremendous power (it can remove the MoFA!) and I believe that it also can have a great deal of authority derived from it's elected position.

Just one specific question. Regarding Engagement, I understand your point, but have you read any of the Addresses that I delivered this term? Those were directed specifically towards helping our engagement with the citizenry, and I would like to know if you've been reading these, or otherwise, what your thoughts are with regards to the perspective of this article.

Thank you.

Removing the MoFA seems a little too much of a sledgehammer to be used to influence foreign policy on the micro, or even most macro levels. It only seems like it could be used on the really big picture

Just one specific question. Regarding Engagement, I understand your point, but have you read any of the Addresses that I delivered this term? Those were directed specifically towards helping our engagement with the citizenry, and I would like to know if you've been reading these, or otherwise, what your thoughts are with regards to the perspective of this article.

Thank you.
Well, I felt that the addresses were good in terms of overall vision but that it needs to be combined with that engaging people through the GH. I felt that addresses were more informative rather than engaging, which is a good thing!

Thank you.

Well, I felt that the addresses were good in terms of overall vision but that it needs to be combined with that engaging people through the GH. I felt that addresses were more informative rather than engaging, which is a good thing!

I would suggest that we've been consistently attempting to reach out to the Citizenry with the opening of question threads, Constituency Outreach offices and my continued invitation for people to raise with me any comments or concerns that they have had, but thank you for your views. If I am reelected to the Senate next term, I will give some thought to incorporating your vision into our work.

If I am reelected to the Senate next term, I will give some thought to incorporating your vision into our work.
Not beforehand? :eek:
It's a little late for us to do all that much differently, Rachel.
I meant during your campaign silly :p
That is...possible, although I'd say it should be a given in my campaign that if elected, pride will not prevent me from seriously considering all suggestions and ideas out there.

The thing about the Senate becoming more involved in foreign and domestic affairs, and I'm aware that I'll have slippery-slope arguments countering this shortly, is that there is nothing saying that the Senate *can't* become more involved in these things. For that matter, there's nothing saying the Senate can't even throw a bit of roleplay in there. Why not have the Senate discuss and take positions on official issues in both NS and RL? It'd be interesting, and the Senate debate would surely encourage debate amongst the citizens as well (and hey, someone might read those debates and stumble upon actual laws being discussed and read those too).

As for the foreign affairs, it'd be more long-term and I'm not completely 100% on how to get involved Senate-wise in the foreign agenda, but it's been an oft-discussed issue in the past (Oliver, myself, others). It's a matter of finding those threads wherever they've wandered off to.

Just because the Senate traditionally hasn't done something doesn't mean that it cannot do something.

Well, its true! I'd love to see the Senate do things along the lines of Orders of the House such as "This Senate, after x debate, finds that raiding is the best form of x,y, and z" or "This Senate, after x days of debate, finds that abortion should be legal but does not encourage its use" or something like that.

It'd be cool, yo.

Well, its true! I'd love to see the Senate do things along the lines of Orders of the House such as "This Senate, after x debate, finds that raiding is the best form of x,y, and z" or "This Senate, after x days of debate, finds that abortion should be legal but does not encourage its use" or something like that.

It'd be cool, yo.
BAN GAY MARRIAGE. :axe:

That actually....could be a good one, considering NS is riddled with marriages.

Back