Rand

The Ven.
Security Council
Senator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Bar Secretary
Discord Moderator
Currently, the area for the public to comment on Senate proposals is under the Citizens' Assembly, as the Discussion Forum on Senate Matters... which sort of makes sense, because the CA is involved in legislation, but in my opinion, it really doesn't. I think it'd be more convenient and make more sense to put this forum under Senatia, similar to the High Court's Skizzy Grey Public Gallery. It also allows for the Senate discussions to be more isolated, rather than lost in the sea of activity in the CA, and provides easier access when perusing through Senate debates. Seriously though, discussion about the Court goes in the Court, discussion about the CA goes in the CA, so shouldn't discussion about the Senate go in the Senate?

Before the CA subforum existed, we discussed Senate issues in the Grand Hall, and we sometimes still do. I think that's fine...

Well, we can still improve what we have.

This is a discussion that should first be had between the Senate and CA. The CA Senate Discussion forum exists because the CA asked for it. As I've started to intimate in the Senate, if the long term decision is for the CA to take over the old function of the Grand Hall (which may or may not be the case), then it makes sense to have a dedicated area there for Senate discussion - the CA forum will become the roleplay political debate area for the public. However, if the CA is not going to take on that role, moving that functionality to the Senate would make sense.

Doesn't the Senate already have a subforum for that?

Rand said:
Lethen said:
Doesn't the Senate already have a subforum for that?
That's for Presidential proposals? :huh:
Then you should update the description "Named in honor of former multi-term Senator and Speaker Swakistek, this hall is established for any extended public discussions or questions to the Executive."

It implies that it is for public discussion from what I see.

Then you should update the description "Named in honor of former multi-term Senator and Speaker Swakistek, this hall is established for any extended public discussions or questions to the Executive."

It implies that it is for public discussion from what I see.
you should
Eh, I don't have admin powers to do that. I'll go admin task thread it just for you though! ^_^

I am willing to guess that it wasn't always for solely Presidential purposes, but unfortunately there is no way to tell as the contents from before 2014 have been (poorly) archived.

Well, that's what it's been the last few years, at least.

Malashaan said:
This is a discussion that should first be had between the Senate and CA. The CA Senate Discussion forum exists because the CA asked for it. As I've started to intimate in the Senate, if the long term decision is for the CA to take over the old function of the Grand Hall (which may or may not be the case), then it makes sense to have a dedicated area there for Senate discussion - the CA forum will become the roleplay political debate area for the public. However, if the CA is not going to take on that role, moving that functionality to the Senate would make sense.
This is true. If memory serves, I had it created when I was CA Chair - many moons ago - in coordination with Speaker Drecq, as I wanted to try to get more people involved in legislative discussions, and keeping tabs on what was going on in the Senate seemed to be a good way to do that.

I think that it's better where it is. While I understand Rand's point, a number of newer players are not as ... fluent in searching for subforums they want to read, but they check out the CA. They'll see the discussion forum there ... but may not notice it nested within the Senate itself.

Mousebumples said:
Malashaan said:
This is true. If memory serves, I had it created when I was CA Chair - many moons ago - in coordination with Speaker Drecq, as I wanted to try to get more people involved in legislative discussions, and keeping tabs on what was going on in the Senate seemed to be a good way to do that.

I think that it's better where it is. While I understand Rand's point, a number of newer players are not as ... fluent in searching for subforums they want to read, but they check out the CA. They'll see the discussion forum there ... but may not notice it nested within the Senate itself.
I think it's silly to suggest that new citizens don't look inside the Senate.

Rand said:
Mousebumples said:
Malashaan said:

I think it's silly to suggest that new citizens don't look inside the Senate.
I know that when I was first a citizen, I didn't look inside the Senate. I checked out the City Council and the WA area and that was it. I don't even think I voted back then.

Well, to understand what the Senate discussions were about, you'd have to go to the Senate forum anyway.

Rand said:
Well, to understand what the Senate discussions were about, you'd have to go to the Senate forum anyway.
Yes. And if people viewing the CA see the "Senate Discussions Forum" they might then go look at the Senate forum when they wouldn't have otherwise since they figured it wasn't something for them.

I don't think we're giving newbies enough credit.

Maybe the current crop is being sold short, but if you look at the responses we get from feedback surveys and other polling, the average newcomer has major issues getting used to the main page of the forums. I can't imagine it gets easier once they delve into those forum themselves.

Lethen said:
Maybe the current crop is being sold short, but if you look at the responses we get from feedback surveys and other polling, the average newcomer has major issues getting used to the main page of the forums. I can't imagine it gets easier once they delve into those forum themselves.
Whereas I would believe we shouldn't place things in illogical areas to make an easier to understand forum (If newcomers really do have difficulty navigating on our- I admit- confusing forums...there's a reason for the existence of the Mo), I am rather indecise on the matter and thus will put it under discussion of the CA members who are contenders of this part of the CA .

Back