Structure Proposal

Trinnien

New member
Dear fellow Media Managers and Editors,

It is my firm belief that Europeia's independent media outlets would be best served by being 1.) completely separated from the auspices of the Ministry of Communication and 2.) Having a more structured and collaborative format.

As such, I propose the following for your input and consideration:


1.) A Director of the OIM that will oversee the approval of new media outlets, maintain the LethnoMonarchy Media Center by ensuring that media outlets are active and in use, and help coordinate between the media outlets in providing quality content to our viewers.

2.) The OIM membership will be opt-in, but only members of the OIM can stand for or vote on the position of Director.

3.) The Director can not be the current President, Vice President, or Minister of Communications as to maintain a focus on the independence of the Media and entrust that it is not beholden to the whims of any current Administration.

4.) That OIM members will endeavor to cooperate and work together where it is practical to provide superior quality content vs. multiple uncoordinated presentations, such as polling.

5.) The OIM and its membership will actively promote interest in journalism and provide a fostering atmosphere for such.

6.) The OIM will have a discussion channel, such as is possible on Discord, to easily facilitate discussion and creativity among its membership and so the Director can notify OIM members of important news.


If the Media Outlets and Editors are agreeable to such actions, once we are in agreement, we can petition the Government and Forum Administration to coordinate the new dynamic.
 

Cat

Banned
Well, it's a decent idea but umm..
help coordinate between the media outlets in providing quality content to our viewers.
You can overview the outlets and you can moderate them. But if you try to control what these outlets put out, we have an issue. Especially if you're trying to fit your own ideals of what "quality content" in euro is. Arguably, everything has good content. Who are you to say what is good and what isn't?

But besides that, I like what you are offering. Just don't turn the outlets into your own little finger puppets :p
 

Anumia

New member
I liked the idea of co-ordinating polls. Maybe we will only have fifty polls each election season, instead of four hundred?
 

Trinnien

New member
Cat said:
Well, it's a decent idea but umm..
help coordinate between the media outlets in providing quality content to our viewers.
You can overview the outlets and you can moderate them. But if you try to control what these outlets put out, we have an issue. Especially if you're trying to fit your own ideals of what "quality content" in euro is. Arguably, everything has good content. Who are you to say what is good and what isn't?

But besides that, I like what you are offering. Just don't turn the outlets into your own little finger puppets :p
I don't feel that was the implication there at all, that the OIM would dictate what can and what cannot be posted. Only that it would be better to work together as media outlets "where practical" to provide what is hopefully a better and more successful product. I would be staunchly opposed to any kind of hard rules on what the OIM would consider acceptable content. To me, that is the readers' choice, quite simply, if the content sucks, they won't read it.


At Anumia, the Director would be mostly a custodial position of actions currently handled by the Minister of Communications. Still, it's helpful to have a position of some minor authority to occasionally help steer discussion without membership feeling obligated or beholden to take such actions.
 

Anumia

New member
I don't mind the idea of having a Director really; I'm just unsure about putting them in charge of newspaper acceptance/archival, when we have never really had an issue with MinComm/MinCult/whoever in Government handling it.
 

Trinnien

New member
Because its independent media. Under the Ministry of Communications, we are at the whims of the Government. Sure, no one has ever mishandled the responsibility but it also isn't one that Comm Ministers give almost any focus too. Also, by having it under government control we have run into complaints of bias when a paper has been archived even though it may have well been a while since it was posted in. A OIM Director that is answerable to the editors and media outlets and that is, more importantly, consistent in warnings about inactivity and archival is superior to the current status quo.
 

Anumia

New member
I do not really think we are "at the whims of the Government" as you say. To my memory, there has never been a time we have seen abuse by any government figure in terms of the media, meanwhile the OIM has done almost nothing/been almost entirely inactive for most of its lifetime. Moving a function that was handled perfectly well by MinComm to such an organisation before it has proven itself active or effective seems like it might not be the best idea, and not all private media outlets will necessarily join the OIM anyway.
 

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Associate Justice
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Anumia said:
I don't mind the idea of having a Director really; I'm just unsure about putting them in charge of newspaper acceptance/archival, when we have never really had an issue with MinComm/MinCult/whoever in Government handling it.
This is my feeling as well. The rest is fine, for reasons stated by others, and me, in the GH thread on the subject.
 

Trinnien

New member
Nor have we seen an Administration or Communications Ministry that has truly served the need of private media. Most importantly though to me, is that it should be private media and not an arm, even if it's benign, of the government.

Maybe, just maybe, if we held the Comms Minister or a responsible deputy to task on maintaining the LMMC, I would find it mildly acceptable. Not ideal and I strongly believe it leaves private media as disparate units and weaker because of it. But, at least we cold potentially maintain a standard set of operations.

Also the OIM hasn't thrived as an institution because it was not set up to be one. It was at best a loose confederation of media outlets with no established agenda, goal, or hierarchy. I'm saying that we can all work together to change that. But, if you're fine with the status quo.... well, in any case I will continue doing what I can for private media.
 

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Associate Justice
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Rylian said:
But, if you're fine with the status quo.... well, in any case I will continue doing what I can for private media.
Um, okay? No need to be all dismissive when the general response to this idea has been positive, and it's only a very narrow critique on the program that most of the people in this thread have had. As the related Grand Hall thread has also shown, there are a fair amount of news outlets behind this general idea.

To further expand on the reason I am against the OIM being in charge of archival and application because that would be a pretty big conflict of interest. Private media mostly competes with private media, if anyone truly competes in the media space. It is far more likely for the OIM to abuse this power than a mostly neutral Minister.
 

Trinnien

New member
If there's a strict set of rules (archival only after X amount of time) and the Director would be elected by members of the OIM. If there was abuse of power, we DO have courts you know. ...

Also, "approval" only in that the Director is the one that would post the request in the Admin Task Thread (like the MinComm does currently) most definitely not a debate on the worthiness of the outlet. As I said earlier, the readers will take care of that on their own by just not viewing or responding.
 

Fortunado

New member
Rylian said:
Nor have we seen an Administration or Communications Ministry that has truly served the need of private media. Most importantly though to me, is that it should be private media and not an arm, even if it's benign, of the government.

Maybe, just maybe, if we held the Comms Minister or a responsible deputy to task on maintaining the LMMC, I would find it mildly acceptable. Not ideal and I strongly believe it leaves private media as disparate units and weaker because of it. But, at least we cold potentially maintain a standard set of operations.

Also the OIM hasn't thrived as an institution because it was not set up to be one. It was at best a loose confederation of media outlets with no established agenda, goal, or hierarchy. I'm saying that we can all work together to change that. But, if you're fine with the status quo.... well, in any case I will continue doing what I can for private media.
no... Comms is vital to the private sphere. Comms has, for example, published vital polling data and asked private media to interpolate and extrapolate it; interpret it. There is also media using mixlr, which is entirely under the purview of comms. I think you are deeply misunderstanding private media not being the -focus- of Comms, more or less not being involved in any vital manner, as somehow being counterproductive to Comms. It should also be noted that Comms is not "mediating" any private content to see if it favors the administration, which would be one of the few definitely detrimental powers Comms could do.

Comms and the OIM Director should have a role together, not as one and the same, but it is easy for them to coordinate events together, create a general agenda, and expand outward.

If you think Comms "corrupts" private media now, than that is silly. Comms does not mediate media, at least not newspapers, as they are more vested in three things: dispatches, mixlr, and EBC articles. Mixlr is the closest to affecting content, and even then Comms has been very willing to allow any content.
 

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Associate Justice
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Rylian said:
If there's a strict set of rules (archival only after X amount of time) and the Director would be elected by members of the OIM. If there was abuse of power, we DO have courts you know. ...

Also, "approval" only in that the Director is the one that would post the request in the Admin Task Thread (like the MinComm does currently) most definitely not a debate on the worthiness of the outlet. As I said earlier, the readers will take care of that on their own by just not viewing or responding.
That's exactly the same case you could make for having a Minister do the job, other than the elected by OIM members bit, but that's not really much a counter point, since the Minister would have the power of the government behind them to approve and deny applications that might be more questionable, while the OIM Director would just be another person in media, which again, is more shady than I think you are giving them credit for, because of the conflict of interest, which the Minister would not inherently have.
 

Trinnien

New member
I think there is a place where private media and MinComm can work together, debates being one example that springs to mind. Still, I prefer greater separation between them.

Also, it's important to note that I don't think nor did I say that MinComm is a corrupting influence.

Mainly though, I think there are many things we (private media outlets) can do that is not tied to the timetable of a term or the immediate focus of an Administration. On that part, there does seem to be a fair share of consensus from many that have spoken here and in the GH. So, putting aside my personal opinion that I prefer a wholly separate media entity... what kind of action can, or should, we take to promote greater cooperation among media outlets? What kind of first steps do we think would need to be taken as a group?
 

Trinnien

New member
Calvin Coolidge said:
Rylian said:
If there's a strict set of rules (archival only after X amount of time) and the Director would be elected by members of the OIM. If there was abuse of power, we DO have courts you know. ...

Also, "approval" only in that the Director is the one that would post the request in the Admin Task Thread (like the MinComm does currently) most definitely not a debate on the worthiness of the outlet. As I said earlier, the readers will take care of that on their own by just not viewing or responding.
That's exactly the same case you could make for having a Minister do the job, other than the elected by OIM members bit, but that's not really much a counter point, since the Minister would have the power of the government behind them to approve and deny applications that might be more questionable, while the OIM Director would just be another person in media, which again, is more shady than I think you are giving them credit for, because of the conflict of interest, which the Minister would not inherently have.
If we decide, and so far I'm alone on my view, to stick with MinComm handling the applications and archival, that's fine as long as my fellow media partners and any potential Government understands that I will be holding them to task for doing a very basic, and not particularly difficult, aspect of their job.
 

Anumia

New member
Academic Centre of Media Excellence

The Academic Centre of Media Excellence (ACME) stands to provide independent media outlets with resources to help improve the quality of their productions, co-ordination to better organise coverage of events, and advocacy to expand opportunities for private media within Europeia.

Goals

* Fostering an encouraging growth environment for private media
* Educating aspiring journalists to improve the overall quality of media in Europeia
* Developing guidelines for private media to better serve the public in news coverage
* Working with the Government to discover methods of better promoting and expanding media productions

Advocacy

* Representing private media as a collection to the Government
* Organising relations between the Government and independent media sources
* Providing recommendations to the Government for improving the situation for private media within Europeia
* Granting independent outlets a greater voice in affairs relating to the media

Functions

* Provide useful materials and teach classes on effective and engaging journalism
* Research and collect historic articles for archive spotlight viewing
* Run regular award ceremonies to highlight excellent journalism
* Co-ordinate members to avoid redundant coverage

Framework

* A Director elected internally every season, to lead discussions and run events within ACME.
* May appoint deputies as needed to cover various areas of discussion and education.
* Sub-forums for internal planning and discussion, and others for writing classes and award areas

Education

* Team up with Government efforts in this area
* Writing classes
* Radio classes
* Capturing audiences
* Diversity of content
* Uniqueness of content
 
Top