Special Comment #3 - In Defense of Drecq

Waaaaaaay back in April last year, I wrote two op-eds I called Special Comments, in homage to Keith Olbermann. Well, I feel like writing another Special Comment, so that is what I'm going to do.

Special Comments I do write during my tenure as MoFA will not deal with FA issues.

When I withdrew from the most recent Senatorial Elections (not the by-election), I included a point that I was no longer going to see higher office in Europeia, and that I would no take higher positions, etc. That my political career in Europeia, such as it was, was over. I changed my profile title to "Jettisoning His Political Career' and that was that. I didn't leave Euro, and continued to make my opinions known, still worked in the areas I had lesser jobs in, and otherwise was active.

I meant what I said, that I was done with a political career in Europeia. When I said it, I meant it. I fully intended to not run for Senate again (something I still hold to) and I fully intended to not pursue higher appointed office.

But then, the fact that I accepted Swak's offer of MoFA proves that I didn't hold to that latter part.

In my defense, as I said, I meant what I had said about withdrawing - when I said it. But when Swak came to me over Skype and asked me if I wanted to be his MoFA...its very hard to say no to your dream job. I mean, literally. Minister of Foreign Affairs is the job in Europeia I have wanted more than any other ever since about a week after I first joined. When someone offers you something you've wanted for over a year...its very, very hard to say no. And so...well, my resolve on my latter vow cracked, and I said yes. I wanted this job, and I thought and do think that I can do very well in it.

But I also knew that I would be a...contraversial choice, to put it mildly. Swak (at least in conversation) appeared to be more optimistic about my reception by the Senate than I did, but I'll admit, I was preparing myself for the possibility of being rejected by the Senate, should Swak get elected and indeed nominate me. I already knew what I would do If I was rejected - write an Op-Ed and then get back to what I was already doing - sailor in the navy, writing the Foreign News Wire, and hanging around, making my political views known.

I was also, however, thinking about what I would do if I was indeed approved. What I would do to enact Swak's FA platform. Things like considering wich regions I would include in the five focus and five emerging focus regions he outlined. Which regions I thought were better as 'consul' regions, as opposed to Ambassador regions. You know, just getting the wheels turning.

Then came the day of nomination...and the expected conrtaversy. I was humbled, and remain humbled, by the support I got from some of the giants of this region - and of course, by Swak actually nominating me in the first place. I wish that I had better ways to thank you for your words of support apart from 'thank you', but I don't. so Thank you. I guess the best way I can repay you is to be an incredibly good MoFA, and thus not force you to eat your words. I certainly intend to be the best MoFA I can be.

But I did get opposition. Not at all surprising. I'll admit, I was a little surprised by CSP's oppotision. I expected some serious questions raised from CSP - he seems to do that with mst nominees, something I support - but the Aye votes of CSP and Apollo were the ones I felt I was most likely t get, at the time of my initial nomination. Drecq and Alexander, I really had no idea about. I certainly hoped that the prevailing trend in Europeia of approving the Presidents Nominees with little issue would dominate here, but I wasn't counting on it. Jahka, I'll admit, I was expecting a solid no. For reasons that seemed logical to me - our ideological opposition is very real. Now, I am incredibly grateful to Jahka for his Aye vote. Never before have I been so happy I've been wrong in NationStates.

CSP's nay vote, while I don't like it (no one likes Rejection), is a vote I understand, even if I didn't expect it. He stated his concerns quite clearly (I respect that a lot. Always be upfront with me about your issues with me. Not only is it more honest, but its more likely to get results. I am completely, or almost completely, blind to the vast majority of social cues, both IRL and Online, unless they're from people I know extremely well, like my family or close friends) and while I felt that I had mollified them enough with my response (clearly I didn't), CSP's nay vote comes with its own logic and reasoning. Good logic, and good reasoning. Obviously, I don't agree with his opinion about my capacity to be a MoFA in all aspects. such as the public face one, or I would not have accepteted the nomination in the first place. But I understand and Respect CSP's choice.

And this is what brings us around to Drecq's abstention. His comment that he didn't feel he knew enough to cast an Aye or a Nay. I actuallu support this. I think he did the right thing. Yes, it is the job of a Senator to be educated and to educate themselves, if need be, but speaking from experiencing, understanding the intricacies of FA is not easy. It took me a long time to get them down, and I'm still learing more all the time. Drecq could have held off on voting until he had taken the time to get educated, but Drecq, who strikes me as a diligent, do the whole job kind of guy, would likely have been quite through in his attempt to educated himself about the matter. Which would have taken days, at least, likely. Resonably, he didn't want to tie things up for that long. I think, overall, Drecq did the right thing. Now, if he does it again, then he's clearly not fulfilling his duties to educate himself, which is another matter entirely. But I do think Drecq made the right decision for the circumstances.

Good Night, and Good Luck.

Senators know they will be required to approve of Presidential nominations. That's part of their job description, I don't like seeing Senators abstain because they don't understand the subject, particularly when this had to be a deficit that Drecq knew he had since the Midterm Elections, when he ran for and won the Senate seat. His duty to educate himself doesn't begin now, it began when Senators had a responsibility to approve FA nominations and comment and vote on Treaties as well as declare war! So I'm not buying the 'good abstain' bit.

Even 35 days isn't enough to get it all down, PhDre. And he was busy with other things.

That said, you are certainly entitled to that view. I disagree, but its not an invalid approach to take. I'm still happier he was honest about rhe fact that he didn't know and thus took the principled 'Abstain' route, rather than voting Aye/Nay without really knowing what he was doing.

Again, he's responsible for declaring war on other regions. That's not a responsibility I'd willingly hand to someone who has no FA background or didn't attempt to educate himself for over a month while in that position. I'm glad he voted abstain instead of making a random vote, but I'd prefer he knew what he was doing this entire time, and that's not an unreasonable expectation.

But Dre's point was more that he could have (and should have) started to educate himself a while ago. I don't think it would be expected that he (or anyone) would go from essentially no knowledge to FA wunderkind in a little over a month.

But to know that you don't have knowledge on something and then essentially punt is troublesome. If he felt he didn't have enough knowledge to approve a Presidential nominee, what about when a Treaty comes before the Senate (like the one being reviewed between TNI and Europeia right now). Shouldn't he abstain on this as well? And on every treaty? Or what about a law dealing with foreign affairs matters, like the Diplomatic Immunity Act Amendment?

So the expectation for Senators is to now be extremely well versed in all areas they may have to confirm a nominee for or take in part in? That's ludicrous. One doesn't have to know a lick about the military side of gameplay to know CSP is a good choice for Grand Admiral and - oh, I don't know - AA is a bad one. We can't expect Senators to be published in Interior, FA, CI, the Navy/military gameplay, etc. to simply vote on nominees. Is it something everyone should be versed in? Yes. Is the fact that we have Senators with little experience outside Europeia possibly a chink in the armor? Yes. Were these same Senators also elected by a public election wherein many more well-informed people cast a vote and very well could have elected a different nominee? Also yes. I'll refer to my musings on why Europeia seems to shun foreign dignitaries with more experience in these areas in favor of those who work solely in Europeia.

I don't have a problem with any of the abstain votes that were lodged, though I must say I am rather surprised Drecq isn't at least familiar enough with Cerian, his mannerisms, work ethics, etc. to place a well-informed vote even without a complete grasp of the subject matter.

Perhaps Senator Drecq would benefit from spending this term working with the Foreign Minister, building some foreign credentials and experience.

The expectation, for me at least, is that Senators will try to get informed on an issue they know may be a weak spot, rather than just go "I don't know" and leave it at that. I don't expect them to be "extremely well versed" in everything, because, as you pointed out, it would be ludicrous. I would argue that being knowledgeable in an area is least important when it comes to the initial Cabinet nominations.

And it goes beyond Cabinet nominations, as I pointed out. However, it is a fact that the Senate will have to vote aye or nay on a Cabinet minister, and that any weak areas should be shored up.

So the expectation for Senators is to now be extremely well versed in all areas they may have to confirm a nominee for or take in part in? That's ludicrous. One doesn't have to know a lick about the military side of gameplay to know CSP is a good choice for Grand Admiral and - oh, I don't know - AA is a bad one.
This reminds me of Yes, Minister. "I am a Cabinet Minister. I was chosen specifically because I know nothing."

So the expectation for Senators is to now be extremely well versed in all areas they may have to confirm a nominee for or take in part in? That's ludicrous. One doesn't have to know a lick about the military side of gameplay to know CSP is a good choice for Grand Admiral and - oh, I don't know - AA is a bad one.
This reminds me of Yes, Minister. "I am a Cabinet Minister. I was chosen specifically because I know nothing."
Oh, Yes, Minister. One of my all-time favorite shows. :D

Were these same Senators also elected by a public election wherein many more well-informed people cast a vote and very well could have elected a different nominee?

In the future, I'll ask each Senate candidate explicitly - "do you feel comfortable making an educated decision regarding legislation and confirmation in the areas expected of you as a Senator." I won't vote for anyone who says no. I'd echo Anumia that Dreqc should strive to at least get a better understanding of FA moving forward, whether that's through working with the FA Minister or reading the GH comments on nominations.

I have no idea what that is or how to respond to it. Sorry. :lol:

Were these same Senators also elected by a public election wherein many more well-informed people cast a vote and very well could have elected a different nominee?

In the future, I'll ask each Senate candidate explicitly - "do you feel comfortable making an educated decision regarding legislation and confirmation in the areas expected of you as a Senator." I won't vote for anyone who says no.
Glad we can pull something positive and progressive out of this, then.

I'm not by any means arguing that a bit knowledge on the subject is silly to presume, but we did elect the man.

In the future, I'll ask each Senate candidate explicitly - "do you feel comfortable making an educated decision regarding legislation and confirmation in the areas expected of you as a Senator." I won't vote for anyone who says no.
Glad we can pull something positive and progressive out of this, then.

I'm not by any means arguing that a lack of knowledge on the subject is silly to presume, but we did elect the man.
And the people have elected terrible and poorly informed Senators, I don't think that changes the responsibility that a Senator has to get somewhat educated on a subject that's always of relevance to the Senate at large.

I wish that I had better ways to thank you for your words of support apart from 'thank you', but I don't. so Thank you. I guess the best way I can repay you is to be an incredibly good MoFA, and thus not force you to eat your words. I certainly intend to be the best MoFA I can be.
You've got it absolutely right there, Cerian.

Interesting piece. I too am grateful to those Senators who confirmed Cerian (don't worry, I'm grateful to CSP for plenty of other things), for allowing him the chance to show you the good that I think he can do.

On the subject of abstain...I would prefer a well reasoned abstention rather than just one out of the blue. I do think that Senators should ordinarily just take a side and stick to it, but there are reasons why one might abstain, and I understand that. I admire Drecq for being able to stand up and say it when he didn't know, instead of fumbling around and making a mess of things.

Perhaps that should be included explicitly somewhere in the "Things to Know Now That You're a Senator" pamphlet. Many of these types of things don't exactly come to the forefront of my mind either when thinking of Senate campaigns, and I think it's safe to assume many potential candidates don't realize that some type of knowledge base on multiple subjects is needed.

EDIT: Dammit, Swak. The above is in direct response to PhDre's latest post.

What happened here was Dreqc didn't expect he needed to get versed in FA because nominations are generally a shoe in. Cerian was a controversial pick (more so than Elias), and therefore Dreqc was put in a position where he was expected to make an informed decision. I admire Dreqc for admitting he doesn't know what's going on, but that's not something I admire or want from in a Senator.

Elias, I think we've just had some uncompetitive Senate races. Ultimately, if there aren't enough amazing Senators we're going to face some tough choices as an electorate, and you can't really put the blame on the region as a whole when you look at some of the alternatives in Senate races.

Edit: Also, there's only so much the electorate can say or do - at a certain point it's up to the individual Senators to 'grow' into their roles, and become educated on the issues that they'll face throughout the term.

What happened here was Dreqc didn't expect he needed to get versed in FA because nominations are generally a shoe in. Cerian was a controversial pick (more so than Elias), and therefore Dreqc was put in a position where he was expected to make an informed decision. I admire Dreqc for admitting he doesn't know what's going on, but that's not something I admire or want from in a Senator.
I agree completely here. It shouldn't have happened, but I don't think the blame can be entirely placed on Drecq. Not everyone has experience with foreign relations - this is a game, after all, not something like the MCAT you need to study to have fun(?) at or participate in.

Elias, I think we've just had some uncompetitive Senate races. Ultimately, if there aren't enough amazing Senators we're going to face some tough choices as an electorate, and you can't really put the blame on the region as a whole when you look at some of the alternatives in Senate races.
Again, I agree to an extent, though there was adequate time to question on issues such as this and it could be easily assumed from Drecq's relative lack of activity prior to his growth in CI during Vinage's first term that he didn't have a lot of experience here or elsewhere. I saw it as fairly obvious, anyway. And it's not like there was a lack of candidates. Christopher Bishop, for example, ran against Drecq and has much more inter-regional experience but was not elected.

Back