Senate Poll Results

The EBC released a poll November 1st, and closed it November 3rd. The poll got eleven responses, and we will now break down the results for you.

Did you vote in the last Senate election?
This establishes that most of our respondents are familiar with the most recent Senate election, and are therefore reasonably educated on Europeia's Senate and Senators.

Have you run for the Senate before?

Have you served as a Senator before?
These results, although not intended to be used for this purpose, show an interesting trend that all of our respondents that ran for Senate eventually became Senators. That is a pretty positive message to anyone considering a run in the future.

What rating would you give the Senate this term?
Avg: 7.36
Mode: 9

What comments do you have about our Senate this term? (A sampling of the responses)
  • Kind of lackluster and inactive. When all the Senators are Ministers, it's unsurprising that they choose to focus their attention on the job they see as "primary."
  • They made progress on the Criminal Code, which is good, and they did work on some good legislation at the start of the term. However, as of late, I feel like there hasn't been much activity on behalf of most of the Senators, which is disappointing. The CA has also been somewhat inactive as of late, and while I know the Senate doesn't control that, I would have hoped that they could have mentored some of the Senate Aides and helped them propose new legislation or something.
  • Focused on the Criminal Code. Activity could've been a been better, but generated discussion was great.
  • The activity definitely dropped off as the term went on. I think that the Criminal Code was the main priority, and it showed, but that's not a bad thing, really.

The general consensus from these ratings, and the comments show that this wasn't a bad term for the Senate, just that it began to lose activity, and was for better or worse, focused on the Criminal Code.

What rating would you give them on the Criminal Code?
Avg: 8.1
Mode: 8 and 9

Do you have any comments on the work that's been done on the Criminal Code thus far?
  • It's almost done!
  • I think this legislation really defined the term, and I am glad it is finally getting done.

Our respondents give the Criminal Code work a higher rating than the Senate overall, so it would appear that this work was not only the main focus of the term, but also a popular focus.

What rating would you give Anumia?
Avg: 7.45
Mode: 9
Adjusted Avg: 7.89

After a very active term, including a reply to Criminal Code almost as long as the bill itself, it is no surprise Anumia has such high approval.

What rating would you give Calvin Coolidge?
Avg: 7.73
Mode: 8
Adj Avg: 7.22

A newcomer to the Senate, it seems his activity and discussion have earned him a solid approval rating at the end of his first term.

What rating would you give Drecq?
Avg: 8 (Highest)
Mode: 8, 9, and 10 (Highest)
Adj Avg: 8.14 (Highest)

You don't get to be Speaker of the Senate, let alone as many times as Drecq has, without doing the job right, and Drecq has done it again. He's earned the highest approval rating of any Senator, and his activity and dedication to the Senate lend no suspicion as to why.

What rating would you give PhDre?
Avg: 6.72
Mode: 7
Adj Avg: 7

After being one of the highest rated Senators last term, it appears PhDre has lost some favor with the voters. He has been a little inactive, and missed a vote, so this may factor into his relatively low rating here.

What rating would you give Rach?
Avg: 6.27 (Lowest)
Mode: 6 (Lowest)
Adj Avg: 6.44 (Lowest)

Getting elected after many dismissed her candidacy as a joke may not have put Rach on a path many respondents approve of, as her ratings are all over the board, resulting in the lowest approval of any Senator. She has also been inactive at times, and has missed a vote.

What rating would you give Writinglegend?
Avg: 8 (Highest)
Mode: 7 and 8
Adj Avg: 7.55

The other new Senator this term, Writinglegend, has performed well enough to tie with Drecq in the unadjusted average, but after removing some of the more extreme responses, goes to the middle of the pack, a solid rating for a solid first term

Do you have any comments on the performance of the individual Senators?
  • No one stood out, but everyone did well.
As this was the only response we got to this question, there is not much to read into here.

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Anumia?

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Calvin Coolidge?

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Drecq?

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect PhDre?

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Rach?

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Writinglegend?

These numbers pretty much just reflect the ratings of each Senator. Anumia and Drecq have a very good chance of getting reelected, Calvin Coolidge and Writinglegend have a decent chance, and PhDre and Rach would have a bit of a tougher campaign if they decide to run. At the time of this article's posting, only three of the six sitting Senators have stood for reelection.

Are you planning on running for Senate in this upcoming election?
Given that we only had eleven respondents in this poll, these numbers seem to suggest that a good number of Europeians are at least considering a run for Senate, meaning this election will likely see an increase in (hopefully legitimate) candidates from last term. At the time of this article's posting, seven candidates have stood, which is a decrease in the number from last term, even before the protest.

What do you consider when deciding which Senatorial candidates to vote for? (A sampling)
  • Experience, activity, and ability.
  • Activity, quality, drive.
  • Policy and suitability. If anybody considers anything else they are stupid.
  • Lots of things. We need a good balance of skills and ability in the Senate since it's not just one Senator, but a group of Senators working together. The ability to work with others to get things done is important. And understanding of law is also important, but I also like mixing in some relative novices with more experienced legislators.
  • How active the candidates will be, what plans they have for legislation, and past experience.
The thing that most of the comments have in common is activity and experience. Other factors are obviously in play, but those seem to be the main things being considered when it comes time to vote.

What new faces (i.e. not currently on the Senate) would you like to see run for Senate this term?
The responses to this question were varied, with a lot of names being dropped ... and a few responses that were much more general in nature. "Many members of the Citizens' Assembly should absolutely run," was shared by one respondent. Another said, "Anyone, really. Let's get some new people in there."

Of course, if anyone is wondering if they were name dropped, here's the list of people (in alphabetical order) that were mentioned by the respondents: Angelus, Belshaft, Carrot, Cordova, CSP, Grenmark, Kraketopia, modernsin, Moronist Decisions, Ninja Kittens, Notolecta, Shin, and Sopo.

How could the Senate be improved?
We got mixed responses here. We had four or so respondents say that they didn't want to make any changes and that the Senate is pretty good as is. Others seemed to indicate that they believe the Senate suffers from being such an exclusive body without enough input from outside sources. Four specifically mentioned bringing back Committees, and another mentioned the need to listen to outside voices in some way or another. An additional respondent mentioned wanting to improve the Senate Aide program going forward.

Would you like to see the return of Senate Committees?
Our respondents seem to be split on this issue, with those in favor of the committees return having a slight edge. Taken together with the comments calling, in equal numbers on both sides, for the destruction and revival of committees, it would seem that is the hot button issue this election, as was reflected in the responses to the last question as well.

Do you have any final comments on this Senate term or the upcoming election?
We didn't get as many responses on this question, but again, the results were mixed about celebrating the lack of committees this term and calling for the return of committees for the upcoming term. There was one more response that didn't touch on committees at all but instead called for "a highly competitive race."

Conclusion
A highly competitive race is something that we all hope to see, and we at the EBC hope to see more people standing for their shot at a Senate seat in the coming days. The standing has since kicked off with seven candidates, and, always, the hope is that by the end of the process we'll have a fine group of candidates to select from.The EBC would like to thank all respondents for giving their input, and we hope that this Senate Election is nothing but active and competitive.

Written by Calvin Coolidge, Mousebumples, Writinglegend, and Notolecta

Raw Data

Only 11 respondents does not bode well for turnout this election. That is the most surprising thing about this poll to me.

Sopo said:
Only 11 respondents does not bode well for turnout this election. That is the most surprising thing about this poll to me.
Probably poll fatigue to be honest. Each of the recent polls has steadily decreased in respondents.

Sopo said:
Never mind the bulk of respondents are probably subjects of the poll. :p

It was a google poll and I CBA to change my gmail account from work to NS to take part in a poll.

Back