Senate Forces Withdrawal Of Capable Nominee Because ?????

Aex has now withdrawn his name as CoWAA. For those unaware.

Yes, for those unaware after I posted the screenshot to clarify why I said what I said (which apparently had been a miscommunication between Prim and I due to some unfortunate lack of clarity) and why I was confused, he pinged me in Discord implyint he wouldn't talk to me in DMs anymore. A Chief of State needs to be able to trust their Councilors and work with them, especially privately as they discuss their positions and strategize on WA issues. And just to clarify, I don't have any hard feelings for Prim at all, I understand his frustration with what I posted, and I'm sorry I broke that trust, but it's better to have a nominee who does, and that clearly isn't me.

Thank you for your apology. I am unsure how I plan to handle the CoWAA position at this point. I will likely wait for the new Senate, have some more discussions with people and go from there.

I generally I agree this has been blown out of proportion. There was fault on both sides here, and it's a story we've seen play out before. Hopefully we can do better in future.

On the Senate side, it was proper for the Senators to be skeptical and be extra diligent in the circumstances. I'll take them at their word that that was their intent, but the way they framed their questions gave rise to the reasonable interference that they were opposed to the nomination in principle, rather than diligent.

On the Executive side, I think pulling the nomination was premature. Prim had concluded Maowi was the best person for the job, and there was still a good chance they would be confirmed. Another round of questioning and/or private discussion would not have caused any more delay than submitting a new nominee (and, in light of current developments, significantly less delay).

With regard to the original article, I don't think the characterization of Rand's questions is fair. His set of questions get to the heart if the issue of people holding multiple roles. I.e., why choose this person who has other commitments over other people who don't? If the executive has a good answer to that (which in this case they did) the nomination is not a problem, but if they don't, then that is indicative of a problem that deserves further consideration. He probably could have gotten there with fewer questions, but I don't think we should be over critical of confirmation hearings being too detailed when our historical norm has been senators not asking enough.

Last edited:
I too got the sense that Rand was being sincere and that his questioning was appropriate. I feel that saying that he was "firing off a battery of half-a-dozen questions" as a way of attacking me is unfair.

I think it’s very odd to ask an executive to list out alternative candidates and why they weren’t suitable. Maybe Rand’s questioning came from an investigatory place, but they were not all reasonable questions.

Honestly, including the context of Aex's withdrawal, this whole fiasco could have been resolved by better communication from all sides and multiple players. Had the possibility of a joint nomination been discussed or even noted to the Senate prior to the nomination it would have been less of a shock and probably would have gone smoother. Had the nomination been presented more in line with Maowi's later comments instead of the initial light that it was definitively going to play second fiddle. Personally, I could have been clearer with my initial comments and approached things in a better manner. Prim could have been clearer with his statements to Aex and on and on. It's honestly just a massive clusterfuck now.

Honestly, including the context of Aex's withdrawal, this whole fiasco could have been resolved by better communication from all sides and multiple players. Had the possibility of a joint nomination been discussed or even noted to the Senate prior to the nomination it would have been less of a shock and probably would have gone smoother. Had the nomination been presented more in line with Maowi's later comments instead of the initial light that it was definitively going to play second fiddle. Personally, I could have been clearer with my initial comments and approached things in a better manner. Prim could have been clearer with his statements to Aex and on and on. It's honestly just a massive clusterfuck now.
Let’s just all hypnotize each other and start over.

Let’s just all hypnotize each other and start over.

all glory to the hypnotoad

I go out for cigarettes and miss the good stuff.

On the whole, I'm of the mind that dual executive appointments are undesirable and would have shown similar skepticism about Maowi's appointment here.

Back