Senate End-Of-Term and Election Poll Analysis

Senate End-Of-Term and Election Poll Analysis
Subtitle

Written by Maowi; Edited by Gem

Starting on September 18, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation ran a 48-hour poll regarding the outgoing 90th Senate as well as the General Election to be held on Friday. The poll was advertised in the Grand Hall and on Discord and garnered 24 responses. It may be relevant to note that candidates Ellenburg and Calvin Coolidge only stood after the poll had been opened, the latter within its last hour, and that Monkey, Lloenflys, and Fillet minion also had not released their platforms by the time the poll began.

Section 1: Outgoing Senate satisfaction

Overall Senate - 100% satisfaction

They have done a good job I would say but some of the Senators haven’t been that active and that has affected my overall view of the senate but still had overal good performance.

In a huge surge from the 58.6% received by their predecessors 70 days ago, the outgoing seven-seat Senate achieve a remarkable perfect approval rating. The incumbents represent a diverse mix of experience in Europeian legislature; the resulting dynamic seems to have been productive, with ten bills being presented to the Pope Lexus X Oval Office for the president’s signature, and has certainly gone down well with the citizenry.

Senate Speaker Lloenflys - 87.5% satisfaction

absolutely goated with the sauce
Birb man did the best he can
Hard to not be satisfied with Lloen
I like Senator Lloenflys more than Speaker Lloenflys :(
I'm generally happy with Lloen's performance, though I always hope to see a speaker engage closely with the rest of the Senate, and that's just not Lloen's style.

One of this Senate’s legal eagles, Lloenflys bags the poll’s joint highest approval rating, with an impressive 0% dissatisfaction. Comments reveal mixed feelings about his style as a speaker – he has frequently and openly stated that he views the position as primarily an administrative one, requiring the holder to maintain neutrality and to be a champion of the Senate in the region. However, this result should leave him with no qualms as to his reelection campaign, particularly as he has stated that he wishes to focus on legislative drafting over seeking another speakership.

Senator Gem - 87.5% satisfaction

bussing it down
Gem always made his opinion and stance very known and that is what I love about gem and it is one of his many good qualities!
I don't agree with Gem on everything, but they've introduced a lot of good bills this term, and haven't shied away from compromise.

Senator Gem matches his colleague Lloenflys’ outstanding satisfaction rating, although his support may be slightly softer, with fewer “Very Satisfied” responses and one stray “Dissatisfied” response. Gem has been a prolific author of legislation this term, so it is possible that occasional disagreement with his stances may have led to less enthusiastic support, but either way, his strong work ethic and activity are clearly appreciated by respondents.

Senator Prim - 62.5% satisfaction

Haven’t seen Prim that active but active enough that I am neutral and what have made my approval go up is the activity.
Will be missed
Prim's always a great voice of reason, though I wish that voice would have been just an itty bit louder as the term came to an end.

Prim serves out his sixth consecutive term as senator (and final, for the time being) with a solid satisfaction rating, receiving a similar overall approval as last term. He notably authored two of the term’s major pieces of legislation: the Senate Oversight Process Amendment (2023) and the Region Proscription Amendment (2023). The comments do not give much of a hint as to the reasoning of those dissatisfied with his performance, though perhaps a perceived drop in activity played into this.

Senator Elio - 87.5% satisfaction

Elio despite being new to europeia has done an amazing job and proposed a few bills/acts and had made an overall good impact In the political arena of europeia.
Glad to see so much energy and enthusiasm from a new senator on their first term! I wish they would have spent a little more time on refinement before posting.

One of the group’s two first-time senators, Elio’s satisfaction responses exactly match those of Speaker Lloenflys. In a result that is extremely promising for his reelection campaign, commenters praise his level of activity throughout this term. Despite facing a slightly bumpy start to the term with the Attorney General Restrictions Amendment that began the drafting process in the People’s Assembly, Elio’s transparency, directness, and high energy have earned them plenty of supporters and a widely positively perceived first term in the Senate.

Senator ICH - 41.6% satisfaction

Senator ICH is someone I respect very much, Is always straightforward and is one of the best senators to ever been elected within europeia!
I expected so much more from ICH, but it seems like they've been a bit of an empty seat this term.

ICH fares significantly worse than his fellow first-time senator, Elio, in large part due to a 45.8% plurality of poll respondents indicating a neutral stance on his performance. If the comment section is indicative of wider opinion, the main issue with the current Minister of Outreach’s performance in the Senate is inactivity. ICH noted in the #grand-hall Discord channel that his decision not to run for reelection was motivated by his desire to focus more on his ministry.

Senator Ellenburg - 50% satisfaction

Ellenburg is a fine senator if anyone asks me and has always done an amazing job.
Ellenburg was a pleasant surprise for me. They weren't afraid to go against the grain, and make their thoughts heard.

Like his colleague Senator ICH, Ellenburg is plagued by a fairly high neutral rating. It is difficult to tell whether this comes from low visibility, disagreement with his stances, or some other factor. While 50% approval is a solid start for his reelection bid, the large swathe of neutrals could also present an opportunity for him to grab onto some crucial extra votes with a persuasive campaign.

Senator Common-Sense Politics - 45.9% satisfaction

Honestly CSP is one of my favorite senators to elect when he runs and at times he can be inactive and I have been seeing that a lot more lately but it still able to post his opinions on the bills and such but if he was a bit more active,. He would have had a higher approval from me 😛
CSP has taken a bit of a backseat in the legislative process this term, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Common-Sense Politics (CSP) places between ICH and Ellenburg in his overall approval, separated by one vote from each. Those not approving skew slightly more towards dissatisfaction than neutrality, however, as he nets the highest number of “Very Dissatisfied” responses in this poll. In a radio show alongside President JayDee and Gem, who ran a poll including Senate midterm approval among other topics, Lloenflys suggested that as an extremely experienced voice, CSP’s style of only commenting on the issues he particularly cares about to avoid “throwing his weight around” on matters less pressing to him may lead to a perception of inactivity from some. CSP has also commented that he is considering taking a step back, hence his decision not to run in the upcoming election.

Section 2: Current Senate matters

Declaration of war on Lone Wolves United - 66.7% in favour

A majority of sitting senators have expressed their intention to support a declaration of war on Lone Wolves United, reflecting the two thirds of poll respondents also in support. The remainder are evenly split between opposing a war declaration and being unsure. The main reservations that have currently been expressed in the Grand Hall discussion involve a desire for greater clarity on what the measurable objectives would be, to avoid the war dragging out indefinitely without an obvious resolution.

Executive Order Recalibration Amendment - 70.8% in favour

In the aftermath of President JayDee issuing Executive Order 101, this bill ended up removing the president’s ability to create, amend, or repeal Europeian law via Executive Order. It has now passed in the Senate, and with such strong support from the public, it remains to be seen whether JayDee will choose to withhold the people’s assent, send the bill to referendum, or allow the removal of a presidential power that has regularly been the subject of controversy over the years.

Remand Amendment II - 50% in favour

A third of poll respondents are unsure whether they would support this bill, which has now passed in the Senate and received the president’s signature, though he expressed some reservations. Indeed, it received fairly little discussion outside of the Senate; perhaps this lack of attention has contributed to so many people having no strong opinion on it.

Election Standing Requirements Act - 29.2% in favour

Since this poll began taking responses, this bill – which would have required honoured citizens to have a nation in Europeia in order to stand for office – has been unanimously rejected by the Senate. Despite it originating in the People’s Assembly, the Senate’s opposition to the bill appears to track with public opinion, as a strong majority would not have supported it.

Terms of Office Amendment - 16.7% in favour

Although this bill is currently in its second reading in the Senate, it seems unlikely to go to vote without significant changes, as many of the candidates in the upcoming election have expressed an eagerness to discuss the topic of term length reform in their platforms. In its current form, which would extend Presidential term lengths to 90 days and reduce Senate and People's Assembly Chair term lengths to 45 days, support is scant from poll respondents. It is difficult to say how much appetite there is for variations on this current proposal, which was initially put forward by Senator CSP.

Overall comments

Can we abolish the senate and just reinstate the Monarchy
Did we forget about the whole DEIA post editing thing? Just feels like we moved on without a conclusion.

One commenter questions whether any resolution will be sought on the matter of the Director of the Europeian Intelligence Agency's authority to remove classified information from public posts, in light of the court case ruling that Kazaman's request for the admins to edit McEntire's post about a radio show was unlawful. After the closure of the poll, their question was answered by Senators Gem, Prim, and Elio presenting a bill to create a protocol for handling public posting of sensitive information.

Section 3: General election

Current field - 37.5% satisfaction
McEntire
upc
ICH
Rand, HEM, Kazaman, UPC, Pland Adanna
Pland, Maowi, Kura, Rand, Kaz
Rand & Gem
Gem and Prim, but afaik they’ve decided not to run.
Wish Prim and Gem would run again, but I don't think they want to. Maybe we could convince Rand to run?
Calvin but they just stooooood yayy! I also wish we had more senators running for re-election, but I don't get a say in that.
Why aren't more people running?
It’ll be an awesome race
Honestly surprised by the low turnout, but the Senate wasn't doing anything as exciting this term

In the duration of this poll, the field for Friday’s election has grown from seven to nine and gained five platforms, so it is advised not to take these results at face value. However, the prevalent feeling does seem to be dissatisfaction with the field, specifically the number of candidates as indicated by the comments. Respondents’ most desired candidates are Rand (four mentions), Gem (three mentions), Kazaman, Prim, and upc (two mentions each).

Voting intentions
Activity and energy
Security, World Assembly endorsements, FA
Anything that gives me a reason to vote for them

While the entry of incumbent Ellenburg and multi-term former Senator Calvin Coolidge into the race is likely to have shaken up the standings, candidates Lloenflys, Elio, and PhDre should feel very confident in their election prospects. Their reelection is backed by 87.5% of respondents, matching the two incumbents’ approval ratings. Monkey and Josi are also poised to be competitive for seats; their outcome will probably depend on the strength of support for Ellenburg and Calvin Coolidge, as well as the number of seats chosen for the next term. Fillet minion and Provian Bee round out the batch of candidates with four and three votes in this poll respectively – anything could happen on election day, but these results indicate they would need some proactive campaigning to secure places in the 91st Senate.

Great write-up! Most of these numbers make sense to me, but I am surprised to see the EO recalibration with such high support. I know the EO itself was unpopular, but why's that gotta ruin the fun for the rest of us??? 😔

Great write-up! Most of these numbers make sense to me, but I am surprised to see the EO recalibration with such high support. I know the EO itself was unpopular, but why's that gotta ruin the fun for the rest of us??? 😔

The days of Calvin Coolidge running roughshod over the region with a flourish of the pen may be coming to an end :oops:

I supported the recalibration amendment obviously, but the poll was only 24 responses. When we tend to have 50-70 votes in elections, it's tough to extrapolate too much from this. I was surprised by that result as well.

Reactions: Gem
Thank you for getting this article out, Maowi and handling the polling :)

Thanks for the writeup!

Back