Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
History of April Fools Day in Europeia
Written by HEM
Editor-in-Chief

Europeia has had an interesting time with April Fools day jokes. The most widescale ones are posted below. Read over them (or remember) and vote on the one you think is the best!

2009: Europeian Empire

In 2009, HEM overthrew the elected government and established himself as Emperor. He replaced the Senate with a Council of Moffs and made his son Lexus the Lord High Chancellor of Moffs.

President Neohabighorst formed a resistance as citizens pledged themselves to the new Emperor or the President. Falconias criticized the prank through it, while inquisitions where initiated by the new Emperor to handle "dissent".

The 2009 prank was fairly tame, and was made incredibly obvious from the get-go.

2010: Anumia takes over

The Admin team didn't really prepare for a prank this year but the region went along with Anumia's planned takeover of SRATO regions.

Falconias also created a fake account mimicking "Onderkelkia" and pretended to be him across the forum. This was met with a fair amount of outrage from HEM and actually became a political issue, with some of Falconias' opponents using it against him.

2011: The Europeian Ascendancy*

Planned extensively between President Earth22 and HEM, the plan was to "gently" overthrow the region in a convincing trick.

HEM announced a new constitution that was just reasonable enough to be believable. The government had HEM's power "swelled" in a position called the "Premier" which allowed him significantly more day-to-day power.

With Earth taking the lead behind the scenes a great deal of the population was convinced the prank was real. To make matters worse, those who would have known in an instant it was fake, were not on during the affair. Lethen, Anumia, and Common-Sense Politics would chide those later who got worked up.

The outrage to the prank was fairly high, with many people threatening to leave the region because of it.

2012: Europeia Under Investigation

Due to the intensity of the 2011 prank, HEM tried to spearhead a more obvious and humorous prank. Playing off the theme of websites being shut down for piracy, the region went "under investigation" for harboring illegal content. This was announced by Allied Alliances who said that it was his connections in the government that allowed Europeia to be investigated rather than shut down forthright.

The region seemed split on validity of the prank, especially with AA's background experience and authority. Despite the obviously absurd banner and having "agents" posting around the forum, many people believed the joke.

The prank ended after only a few hours due to a fear that the board might be reported to real law enforcement for impersonating federal agents.

2013: The Great Purge

In a final effort to create an obvious prank, HEM and the admin team orchestrated a charade in which r3n was exposed as a defender spy and the entire region was suspect to treason.

The absurdity of the prank made this year obvious.

*The word "Ascendancy" was stolen from the form of government held by the fictional Star Wars civilization of the Chiss. HEM stated during the prank that the Ascendancy would be greater than the Republic. This term was used before the formation of the Ascendancy region in NS that gained great notoriety before imploding.

I thought this was going to be the NS April Fools.

No offence, but 2011 and 2012.... the ones I remember besides this one ended TERRIBLY with people angry with each-other and wanting to quit :p

so 2013 wins it for me, it was pretty fun imo.

I voted for 2013, because it's the only one I was here for. :p

EDIT: Also, I suspect 2011 will pick up a few votes due to CSP's famous quote which you display in your (HEM) sig.

I actually was going to join a April 1, 2011 but the board scared me away because of the skin. That's why I joined the 2nd. :p

Also, I have read some reactions to the Ascendancy, especially Gus's rant about it. Sounds like it was fun! :D

Cerian Quilor said:
Gus had a rant on it? Linky?

:p

Also, I voted 2012 for Noto's reaction.
There are links in the article. The 2011 one comes with an 8 page thread, plus a dozen others :p

Matthew Vinage said:
I voted for 2013, because it's the only one I was here for. :p

EDIT: Also, I suspect 2011 will pick up a few votes due to CSP's famous quote which you display in your (HEM) sig.
Yes it was. I was so fucking mad that day.

Matthew Vinage said:
Could I have a link to Noto's reaction to the 2012 prank? :p
All the links are in the article! flail.gif

2012 April Fools was a good year. Reading back on it, I was a jackass to those "Federal Agents"

Do we like the FBI joke because it was funny, or because of Noto's freak-out? flail.gif

Lethen said:
Do we like the FBI joke because it was funny, or because of Noto's freak-out? flail.gif
Both?

Back