Race Tighter Than [Insert Crude Joke Here]

Oliver

[size0]The following data is based on 24 respondents, or approximately 1/3 of the eligible voters list, and may be corrupted by persons who cannot vote in the election voting in the poll.[/size]

The Reality

In the reality section of the poll, things could hardly be closer. Sopo/Jusduckria and Crist Seymour/Ogastein both took 50% of the question "If the election were held today, which candidate would you vote for?," and 50% of the question "Which candidate do you feel has the best platform?". Sopo manages to edge out Crist Seymour with 54.2% (13 votes) on the question "Which candidate do you feel would make the best President?", but we're back to a split 50% of the vote on whether or Jusduckria or Ogastein would make the best VP.

If anything, there's a very, very slight edge for Sopo here, but nothing I would really read into.

The Hypothetical

In this section, I paired the two actual candidates with one extra hypothetical candidate three times, and then put all five (two actual, three hypothetical) candidates into a single question.

In the hypothetical involving Klatonia, Crist Seymour brings in the most votes, but it's important to note the percentages here. Crist Seymour brings in 45.8% (11 votes), Klatonia 25% (6 votes), and Sopo 29.2% (7 votes). While Seymour gets 11 votes, it wouldn't be enough to win on a first ballot, and it's actually the most he garners in any of the hypotheticals.

Seymour also "wins" the hypothetical ballot with Earth22 as well, but it's another pyrrhic victory. He manages 41.7% (10 votes), but Earth22 is nipping at his heels with 37.5% (9 votes), while Sopo draws up the rear with 20.8% (5 votes). Again, with the vote split three ways, Seymour appears to win the ballot, but if we keep our eyes on the consistency of his numbers, he's having a really hard time cracking the 50% barrier.

When NES is involved, the data takes an odd turn. In this hypothetical, Sopo "wins" the ballot on the split vote, with 45.8% (11 votes), while Seymour takes in 37.5% (9 votes), and NES pulls in 16.7% (4 votes). What's interesting is that Seymour's support levels have been fairly constant around 10 or 11 votes, and NES manages to drop him to 9, while Sopo picks up 11, his highest in the hypothetical section. This suggests to me that while probable Sopo voters might prefer Klatonia or Earth22 (explaining the splits in the first two), probable Seymour votes might prefer NES.

The last hypothetical question, with all options on the table, provides the most interesting split of all. Seymour dominates in raw numbers, with 37.5% (9 votes), second is Earth22, with 25% (6 votes), then Sopo with 16.7% (4 votes), Klatonia with 12.5% (3 votes), and NES bringing up the rear with 8.6% (2 votes). What's really interesting, though, is that if we follow my hypothetical belief that Klatonia, Earth22, and Sopo voters are likely to ally, and NES and Seymour voters are likely to ally, if we add them all together, Seymour + NES = 13 votes, which is more than 50% on this poll.

It's only a single vote over the top, which means that likely all this data suggests is that the race is going to be very close, but it does speak to the strength of Seymour's base. While Sopo's votes have been split very effectively by Earth22 and Klatonia, Seymour's have not dropped behind 9, which suggests that Seymour can be more sure of his base than Sopo if a surprise candidate enters the race (I'm not, though, don't even think about it). Seymour's major question, though, is "are those votes going to be enough"? Even with NES' votes mixed in, when NES wasn't a hypothetical candidate, the hypothetical Seymour vote never quite cleared 50%.

Comparative and Issues

In the comparative question to the previous term, there is largely a sense of optimism in the Europeian public. Klatonia, Earth22, and Seymour show a preponderance of votes in the end of the spectrum which says that a term with them would be "better" or "much better" than the previous term.

To fling some numbers at you, 5 votes (20.8%) said a term with Klatonia would be "much better" than this term, and 5 votes (20.8%) said a term with Klatonia would be "better" than this term, which compares favourably to 7 votes (29.2%) which said it would be "about the same", and a total of 7 votes (29.2%) on the side of "worse" (6 votes) or "much worse" (1 vote).

Earth22 had similar numbers to Klatonia, with a little more in the positive column (7 better, 5 much better, 8 about the same), and a little less in the negative (4 worse, 0 much worse). NES had the most "normal" distribution in the mathematical sense (3 much worse, 5 worse, 8 about the same, 6 better, 2 much better).

The two most interesting distributions are, of course, our two actual candidates. Seymour's is a tale of two extremes. His positive distributions matched Earth22's; 7 votes for better, and 5 votes for much better (a total of 12 being the best positive distribution). Where Seymour differs, however, is that while tied for the best positive distribution, he's also got the worst negative distribution. 4 votes for much worse, and 5 votes for worse, leaving only 3 votes for about the same. Seymour certainly appears to be a polarizing figure.

On the other end of the spectrum, Sopo seems to be almost comforting. While he garners only 2 votes for much better, he manages to pull in 8 votes for better, and 11 votes for about the same. He also had the lowest total negative distribution, with only 1 vote for worse and 2 votes for much worse.

On the issues question, it seemed that all issues would affect voting somewhat, but the attitude towards separation of powers was the least important (12 votes total between "not at all important" and "a little important"), and the Cabinet Selections, or the refusal to disclose them, was also not considered hugely important, with ten votes total for "not at all" and "a little" important. The candidate's platforms are likely the most important, with a total of 14 votes between "a great deal" and "my vote hinges on this issue", but candidates should not ignore any of these, as most of the categories had a preponderance of votes in the "a moderate amount" column.

Final Analysis

Will Seymour be able to convert enough of those who are concerned about his possible performance to overcome Sopo's less-exciting-but-familiar talents? It's an important question. As earlier hypothetical votes have suggested, while Seymour's base is very strong, it may not be enough all on its own, and it seems as though Seymour will have overcome this polarizing viewpoint to really get a strong win. Sopo will need to overcome public perceptions of his previous term to really knock this one out of the park, but both candidates are in easy striking distance of victory, and the polling leaves this election far, far too close to call.

This is a most exciting race indeed, and I look forwards to the Debates on this matter because there is still everything to win.

I would say of the analysis related to myself though, perhaps Ollie is reading a bit too far into it. Yes we start from a 12-12 position, so it's very easy to make comparisons on the hypotheticals from that position. But I only ever poll a maximum of 4, because I think everyone knows I am not a Presidential contendor, would not even dream of it. But of those 4, on the extrapolative basis, 3 come from Seymour and 1 comes from Sopo. I mean, how much can you read into those numbers? If one more of those had come from Sopo and one less from Seymour, then it would have been equal. To then go on and make correlations such as "NES and Seymour voters are likely to ally" is a bit much.

I think though the Final Analysis is spot on. Sopo needs to be more exciting. Seymour needs to be less exciting. Whoever finds the middle ground first, wins?

I would say of the analysis related to myself though, perhaps Ollie is reading a bit too far into it. Yes we start from a 12-12 position, so it's very easy to make comparisons on the hypotheticals from that position. But I only ever poll a maximum of 4, because I think everyone knows I am not a Presidential contendor, would not even dream of it. But of those 4, on the extrapolative basis, 3 come from Seymour and 1 comes from Sopo. I mean, how much can you read into those numbers? If one more of those had come from Sopo and one less from Seymour, then it would have been equal. To then go on and make correlations such as "NES and Seymour voters are likely to ally" is a bit much.
Maybe a little bit, but I did sort of come back off that speculation towards the end of that section:

It's only a single vote over the top, which means that likely all this data suggests is that the race is going to be very close, but it does speak to the strength of Seymour's base.

Yes, well all we know from the final hypothetical is that 8 of Sopo's voters are mobile (quite a lot) and only 3 of Seymour's are. I think though it is very plausible that Seymour's 3 mobile voters are spread 1 each in NES, Earth22 and Klat. Rather than the 2 being in NES. 1 of those NES voters might be me after all? Anyway, you get my point...

I wouldn't want this rare breed of NES voter to be misrepresented as analogous with Seymour is all...personally, I think they should be a protected species under International Conservation Law...like Swak voters... :p

Superb analysis, Ollie.

My two cents: at least a dozen citizens who didn't participate in this poll will vote. As a group, this block is probably less politically engaged than the poll participants. Their lack of engagement may make them vote on reputation (good for Sopo), or may make them vote based on contribution to the social forums (good for Seymour).

The region could use an epic election to spark interest. Looks like we might get one.

This suggests to me that while probable Sopo voters might prefer Klatonia or Earth22 (explaining the splits in the first two), probable Seymour votes might prefer NES.
I haven't used survey monkey myself, so I am wondering: does it provide only aggregate data, only separate ballots, or both? If it's either of the last two, then you actually have sufficient data to validate whether your hypothesis is true, by examining individual ballots.

Really interesting results!

Lets bring this excitement into the forums and suck those new people in!

:euro:

This suggests to me that while probable Sopo voters might prefer Klatonia or Earth22 (explaining the splits in the first two), probable Seymour votes might prefer NES.
I haven't used survey monkey myself, so I am wondering: does it provide only aggregate data, only separate ballots, or both? If it's either of the last two, then you actually have sufficient data to validate whether your hypothesis is true, by examining individual ballots.
I do have that capability, but I'm a bit lazy. I might do it tomorrow.

I admit I haven't been around for awhile but when and where did Seymour get this solid base of supporters?

Are we seeing less older members and more new members engage in the political process?

Are we seeing less older members and more new members engage in the political process?
This is my guess. It's about time, too.
I would think it's equally beneficial and detrimental. Some of us have longer memories and clearer perspective than others. Of course we need the youngins to kick us in the nuts once in awhile.

I would think it's equally beneficial and detrimental. Some of us have longer memories and clearer perspective than others. Of course we need the youngins to kick us in the nuts once in awhile.
Of course, but a community where the youngins aren't there to step up is a community that's dying. Like, say, the Anglican Church.

Of course, but a community where the youngins aren't there to step up is a community that's dying. Like, say, the Anglican Church.
Do not ever suggest that the Anglican Church needs change; they're already becoming far too liberal for my liking.

Yeah!!!! I demand moar public Roman Catholic burnings! :evil:

There haven't been a good burning at the stake's for a long damn time. I blame the liberals and their pesky moral values. Burn them I say! *throws fuel on fire :violentgun:

Do not ever suggest that the Anglican Church needs change; they're already becoming far too liberal for my liking.
It was founded on such strong principles though, what could possibly have gone wrong?

It was founded on such strong principles though, what could possibly have gone wrong?
What, 'I'm king of England and I fuck and kill whoever I damn well like'?

CAKE OR DEATH!

Back