Public Pressure Forces Statement from Secretive Europeian Intelligence Agency

Public Pressure Forces Statement from Secretive Europeian Intelligence Agency
By Deepest House

(Europeia, May 11, 2017) – North East Somerset, the director of the Europeian Intelligence Agency (EIA), issued a rare statement today after public pressure regarding former World Assembly Delegate Trinnien’s resignation continued to build. The EIA presented former President Aexnidaral Seymour and current President Calvin Coolidge with evidence that Trinnien distributed classified information from the region’s External Affairs Advisory Committee (EAAC).

“During the course of normal activities of the Europeian Intelligence Agency, we became aware of undoubtable evidence that Trinnien had leaked classified information from the EAAC,” North East Somerset said in the statement. As a result of the report made to the respective presidents, Trinnien resigned all offices and retired from the region.

“There will always be some question if I should have access to some knowledge, or participate in a conversation. There is no way I can do my job from such a position,” Trinnien said on April 9. “I hereby announce my immediate resignation from all posts and offices - and relinquish all powers invested in me.”

Trinnien went on to question the power structure in Europeia. “[T]o be told that I couldn't be in Cabinet, my EAAC membership was under review, and not be given any information but a ‘I'm not allowed to discuss it’ from the President speaks to a poorly done process … and makes me question who has the power here: the Director or the President.”

Trinnien’s public resignation, and revelation of intelligence activities conducted by the EIA that ultimately resulted in his downfall, prompted several within the region to question the public nature of the events.

“This absolutely shouldn't be being discussed here,” said Common-Sense Politics, the region’s grand admiral. Kraketopia concurred, “[T]his conversation should not be happening in the public.” Others cited the fact that public discussion could potentially jeopardize intelligence methods and sources, or otherwise be diplomatically damaging.

Nearly a month after his resignation, Trinnien returned to the Grand Hall to announce the renunciation of his citizenship. “I am extremely bitter on how this was handled by the Administration,” he said on May 7. “I do not, nor have I ever, claimed myself to be above approach or the law ... It's entirely possible that President Calvin Coolidge or DEIA North East Somerset may suddenly decide to press charges tomorrow since I have had the audacity to come back and revive this discussion which I am sure they were happy to let slide into the background.”

Trinnien’s brief return rekindled the debate about the issue and both the public’s and Trinnien’s right to know exactly what happened and the influence of the secretive EIA. “I don't care for making it public, but the fact that Trinnien hasn't been informed is evidence of the situation being mishandled,” said Senator Jaydee.

“[North East Somerset] holds an excessive amount of influence in a way that makes it unquestionable,” said Notolecta, referring to how mere secretive allegations made by the director of the EIA was sufficient to encourage a well-established member of the region to effectively retire. “Let's be honest the only reason any of the evidence is classified is to protect [North East Somerset’s] secret sharing rings and the identities of those he gets information from in exchange for our information and the information of other region's he has high level access to,” he later added.

With public opinion turning against the EIA and the administration regarding the outcome of the episode, North East Somerset published his statement pushing back against the notion that he pushed Trinnien out of his positions and the region.

“Trinnien decided, for himself, to resign his position of World Assembly Delegate, his EAAC membership, and take an extended [Leave of Absence],” the director said. “This was his personal decision that was never incited by any element of the Europeian Intelligence Agency.” North East Somerset added that it was the duty of the EIA to inform presidents of potential security concerns, and that it was their responsibility to determine the appropriate course of action going forward.

Indeed, in his elected position as World Assembly Delegate, Trinnien was not compelled to resign. “He still controlled one of the highest positions in the region (higher than a cabinet position) and had recently been elected to the Senate,” said Rach. “Even if he wanted to call people out because he felt he was innocent, why resign as Delegate … That is the part that really does not make sense to me.”

Others backed the action of both the director of the EIA and President Calvin Coolidge for their actions. “If the EIA believes that Trinnien may have leaked information, it would be irrational for them to assume that he would not also leak the evidence against him to others,” said OnderKelkia, a current justice of the court. “No one has the right to see secret intelligence which may implicate them in wrongdoing, unless they are actually being prosecuted.”

Erica, a newcomer to Europeia, also vouched for the president’s decision making. “[W]hile it certainly is an unfortunate situation for Trin to be in, the President has, ostensibly, reacted in a sound manner,” she said. “Ministers hold positions in the Cabinet at the President's leisure, and a reason for removal, or in this case denial, is not always necessary or desirable, and in cases such as this the President may wish to withhold such information.”

McEntire, currently running for the Senate, noted that the region’s senior legislative body has a role to play in these kinds of situations. “Incidents like this reinforce the need for some kind of a Senate committee on intelligence,” the candidate said. “If we could have a select number of Senators privately briefed on the matter, we could reassure the rest of the region. There has to be some sort of check. Right now, all we've got is assurance that it must be important because it isn't being divulged. That's not sufficient for the Republic.”

Comrade Snowball, who recently stood for and then withdrew from the Senate race, concurred with McEntire. “We need a senate committee for these matters,” he stated.

Some argued that the president should’ve simply informed Trinnien that he would no longer be nominated as Minister of Foreign Affairs without disclosing the allegations of leaking classified information from the EAAC.

“It might have been better if, in explaining his decision to Trinnien, the President had never mentioned the allegation that he leaked information or referenced the advice received from the EIA,” said OnderKelkia. The president was put into a position of either dismissing Trinnien without explanation, based on what was presented as credible evidence of security leaks, or providing minimal information regarding reason for his dismissal from the prospective cabinet position.

“I think the misstep here was in giving Trinn a little information, but not enough for him to understand or respond,” noted Malashaan. “I understand the desire to try and explain the decision, it is natural to want to do so, but in this case, it would have been better to say nothing.”

Vice President Darcness noted that while that may have been a desirable outcome, Trinnien’s position as World Assembly Delegate with access to the EAAC complicated matters as the EIA accused him of leaking from the EAAC itself. “Trinnien was the standing [World Assembly Delegate], and I daresay there would be just as many neigh-sayers as there are today clamoring about underhanded politics when the standing [World Assembly Delegate] is denied access to the EAAC,” the vice president added.

With the recent statement by North East Somerset, the debate continues in the region regarding the previous and current administration’s course of action in the situation. Arguments have been made on both sides, and for additional oversight of the EIA through the Senate. While Trinnien has renounced his citizenship, he made no declarative statement that he would never return, leaving the door open for additional intrigue down the road.

“I do not deny that I may have made a mistake, though without knowing what claims are against me, or proof, I am unable to defend or concede to such actions,” Trinnien said as he departed.

President Calvin Coolidge, Assistant Director of the EIA and founder of Europeia HEM, former President Aexnidaral Seymour, Minister of Foreign Affairs Writinglegend, and former Attorney General Malashaan jointly signed the statement with North East Somerset.

If there was legitimate concern that he was leaking classified information, Calvin should never have said anything about it. Furthermore, Trinnien should have been brought up on charges if evidence was strong enough to deny him a nomination as Minister of Foreign Affairs. Either see it through the whole way or let it be, but don't drag him through the mud with no explanation.

Aex asked Trinn at a dinner is he would be trustworthy and Trinn said he'd be honest. It was the beginning of the end...

Rach said:
Aex asked Trinn at a dinner is he would be trustworthy and Trinn said he'd be honest. It was the beginning of the end...
I got two scoops of ice cream and everyone else got one.

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Rach said:
It was the best ice cream.

Rach said:
Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Rach said:
Was it Mint Chocolate Chip? What color?

Ugh, mint in food is gross. Mint is in toothpaste and you are taught as a kid not to eat toothpaste. Hence, mint is something we are conditioned not to eat.

This might be the Jameson talking, because I normally couldn't care less, but maybe we should actually try and stick to the matter at hand instead of making stupid jokes?

JayDee said:
Rach said:
Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Rach said:
Was it Mint Chocolate Chip? What color?
Green, the only kind of Mint. :wub:

Seven Deaths said:
This might be the Jameson talking, because I normally couldn't care less, but maybe we should actually try and stick to the matter at hand instead of making stupid jokes?
Notice who is derailing it. Identify their role in this. All is obvious.

hyanygo said:
Seven Deaths said:
Notice who is derailing it. Identify their role in this. All is obvious.
It's been noted.

Yes, it's all part of my evil plan with Rach and JayDee-- hide the thread by bumping it!

Frankly, I don't give a damn about the matter over mint ice cream.

I do, however, am concerned about how this was handled. A miscommunication over an extremely serious matter drove one of the region's hardest workers into leaving. That's sad to see.

A well written article.

This was an unfortunate situation and it was handled poorly, by myself, and by Presidents Aexnidaral and Calvin Coolidge. However, I think in time (perhaps a long time) there will be a chance of reconciliation and it's something I may pursue at a future date. Again, for now, my focus is on RL matters and continuing to improve my physical well-being.

However, the situation did bring to the forefront again of operational issues with the EIA. Officially, the EIA is answerable to the President but in actuality, the Agency has tremendous amounts of self-governance and an outstanding lack of oversight. The Agency files no reports or summaries each term, classified or otherwise. It has no listing of its staff or rules of conduct. While there is justification in some level of secrecy, there still needs to be accountability. Whether that needs to be a regular briefing with the President, the Supreme Chancellor, or HEM as Founder and Root Admin is something for others to debate and decide if legislation is warranted. There is also the issue that due to the way the EIA and its operations are structured, there is no way of knowing if it is, or has, ever engaged in espionage or other compromising activities. In addition, it would be almost impossible to nominate or appoint almost anyone else as Director due to its organizational structure and history. This should be concerning to the public at large.

I do not deny the need for such an agency. I do not deny my own possible missteps, though I will not admit wrong doing without knowing what I allegedly did. Most importantly, I emphatically state no ill will toward Director North East Somerset or Presidents Aexnidaral or Calvin Coolidge. I do however strongly believe we can at least be a more accountable region, even if we must keep things shrouded for the sake of security.

Like Lethen said, which was also pointed out by Onder:

Without knowing the intelligence involved here, isn't it entirely possible that the sources and methods have already been jeopardized by the more public nature of this resignation? Particularly if Trinn decided to reach out to potential parties involved while he was searching through DMs, logs, etc. to figure out what he may have leaked.
The fact that you were accused of leaking information at all, Trin, could be perceived as a leak of information in and of itself.

I stick by my statement that the President has every right to decide who does and doesn't serve in Cabinet; that is our law. I also think that, as it is the duty of the EIA to inform the President of security concerns, that it is the duty of the President to react accordingly.

However, I have my own personal concerns that the situation has been handled unprofessionally by the authorities involved. Mistakes have been made and all it has done is promote hysteria, conflict, and conspiracy theories. I don't feel that the statement issued by NES has done anything to alleviate this.

Erica said:
Like Lethen said, which was also pointed out by Onder:

Without knowing the intelligence involved here, isn't it entirely possible that the sources and methods have already been jeopardized by the more public nature of this resignation? Particularly if Trinn decided to reach out to potential parties involved while he was searching through DMs, logs, etc. to figure out what he may have leaked.
The fact that you were accused of leaking information at all, Trin, could be perceived as a leak of information in and of itself.
To be clear, I have discussed the point raised by Lethen, but I've emphasised that the answer to Lethen's question depends on the nature of the information concerned. I have also reflected on the implications if we assume, for the sake of argument, that the question Lethen posed should be answered affirmatively. We don't (and probably cannot) know enough to draw conclusions about the level of risk posed by informing Trinnien that he was suspected of leaking information without divulging specific details. My full thoughts on Lethen's point are set out here and here.

OnderKelkia said:
To be clear, I have discussed the point raised by Lethen, but I've emphasised that the answer to Lethen's question depends on the nature of the information concerned. I have also reflected on the implications if we assume, for the sake of argument, that the question Lethen posed should be answered affirmatively. We don't (and probably cannot) know enough to draw conclusions about the level of risk posed by informing Trinnien that he was suspected of leaking information without divulging specific details. My full thoughts on Lethen's point are set out here and here.
Granted, Onder, I had no intention to misrepresent your views. I agree that no conclusion can be drawn from what is currently public knowledge. Nevertheless, that won't stop people having their own misconceptions, and that is something which the statement issued by NES had a chance of reducing, yet I personally feel that it missed the mark.

Back