Presidential Race: Who's Who?

HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
The E-News Network -- Who's Who This Presidential Race?
Written by HEM
Editor-in-Chief

Election Season! Here again, albeit in a more executive fashion! ENN is going through the list of potential candidates and looking at their strengths/weaknesses. How likely are they to run?

Moderately Likely
The citizens below are considered reasonably likely to toss their hat into the ring this election

Frm. Speaker McEntire

The solid Speaker of the last Senate showed activity and leadership in his post. He has held many roles in the executive in the past and has the aura of a commander.

Pluses (+) -- Seen as a competent leader, lots of experience.
Minuses (-) -- Has not be as active through the holidays. Can be polarizing on issues.

Vice President Seven Deaths

Seven Deaths has racked a fair amount of exposure to Europeian politics. He hasn't been the most possible Vice President in history, but he will certainly benefit from the strong polling numbers of his boss.

Pluses (+) -- Deputy in popular administration. Very active throughout the term.
Minuses (-) -- Hasn't forged a high profile role as Vice President.

Former President Admiral Common-Sense Politics

CSP has one of the strongest executive portfolios of any Europeian. His work in the navy has crafted new policy that is starting to resemble broader foreign policy thinking. He has been an effective and active Admiral.

Pluses (+) -- Former President, Cabinet heavyweight. Strong term with ERN.
Minuses (-) -- Can be polarizing, has been criticized for activity in past terms

Somewhat Likely
These citizens are seen as less likely to see the Goldenblock, but still have made moves that resemble a Presidency run

Senator Apollo

An incredibly active Senator in a dreary Senate, Apollo has been a dynamic figure in Europeian politics. Unlike others, though, he has always returned home to his region and has undoubtably served in well.

Pluses (+) -- Broad range of executive and legislative experience, much out of region.
Minuses (i) -- Has some past controversy, may have activity commitments elsewhere.

Minister Elias Greyjoy

A controversial Europeian, but has gotten the eyes of many for being outspoken and passionate about what he believes in. His term in the Foreign Ministry hasn't been breathtaking, but he has held down an unyielding office with competency.

Pluses (+) -- Assertive, strong, and growing experience in the region. Has external experience in other regions.
Minuses (-) -- Polarizing to some Europeians, does not have wide breadth of experience in region.

Chief Justice Swakistek

Only demoted from the "likely" category by his long LOA in January, the Goldenblock has alluded Swakistek for years. He has a degree of judicial and legislative experience that could be matched by perhaps only Anumia, and he has matured into a veteran Europeian leader.

Pluses (+) -- High amount of experience and dedication to Europeia.
Minuses (-) -- Perennial candidate.

Longshots/Darkhorse Candidates
The citizens below are seen as longshot candidates, only slightly likely to run, but very fun to speculate about

Former President PASD

Serving for a month as President this year was PASD's last political role in Europeia. After a short hiatus though, PASD has been very active on the forum. Would he look for a term of his own?

Pluses (+) -- Presidential experience and activity in region.
Minuses (-) -- Not politically active since term.

Former President NES

NES has been dipping into the foray of Europeian life more and more recently. Is he regaining the activity to seize the day and deliver the dream Presidential term he once hoped for? Only time will tell...

Pluses (+) -- Strong executive experience in Europeia and without.
Minuses (-) -- Activity concerns, can be polarizing.

Former President Anumia

Anumia has built up a level of activity in Europeia that hasn't been seen in a long time. He has suggested many times off record that he would be interested in serving another term, is now the time?

Pluses (+) -- Presidential experience, broad legislative, judicial and executive experience across NS.
Minuses (-) -- Has been criticized for handling criticism.

Former Justice R3nissancer

A Europeian with strong foreign policy experience and an ancient resume to present the region. R3n has been a candidate for many offices since his arrival in Europeia, but has spent most of the time behind the scenes. Is it his time to stop advising and take the reigns of state?

Pluses (+) -- Amazing external experience, foreign policy information.
Minuses (-) -- Activity concerns

Is there anyone we missed? Think of other darkhorses? Post and join the discussion!

Ha! Noto' made a joke :p

Looking over it if Swak' chooses to run then one would wonder if it would be with CSP, and possibly weakening the Navy, or if he's pick out someone like SD to be his Vice President. My concern as well would be too many ideas and not enough umpf, something that I've found incredibly hard to manage.

With McEntire I'm wondering who he'd pull out to be his Vice Presidential candidate as, no offence to McEntire, but I'm not sure he has connected with enough people for that close Pres-VP bond - I would assume he'd approach CSP over it which would give an interesting dynamic but [again] might weaken the Navy.

I'd suspect Seven Deaths will put it off for another term and, hopefully, his time wouldn't have passed! Same with Elias, perhaps not this coming term but the one after.... depending on what role he takes on.

Someone else I would of nodded towards, if this term was better for him, would have been Gus. While winning the election might have been unlikely, it would of been his first serious run.

You're funny HEM :lol:

But really, I considered running for Prez. Don't think I will.

Oh, I didn't say I wouldn't be a Veep if anyone needed me. :creepy:

SD or Elias would probably be my preferred picks. No offense or impunation of CSP's Skills or abilities, more a preference to see someone who hasn't been president a number of times be president. ( :p ).

I honestly don't think Swak will run this time, though who the frak knows. If he does, I'd need to see his platform. Well, I'll need to see everyone's, for that matter, to be sure. Back in the JGlenn/Skizzy election, I thought, before platforms, I'd be leaning towards the Glennster, but ended up being swayed by Skizzy (well, tbh, it was more that Glenn's platform turned me off more than Skizzy's...)

I honestly don't think Swak will run this time, though who the frak knows. If he does, I'd need to see his platform. Well, I'll need to see everyone's, for that matter, to be sure. Back in the JGlenn/Skizzy election, I thought, before platforms, I'd be leaning towards the Glennster, but ended up being swayed by Skizzy (well, tbh, it was more that Glenn's platform turned me off more than Skizzy's...)

I couldn't believe my luck when JGlenn, who at that time was a blank slate in terms of foreign/military policy, chose to run to my left. (Perceptions of me may have changed, but there wasn't much room to my left in those days.) It ended up working well for the region, though, as I was able to pull together a unity government -- JGlenn's allies on the left were already my friends, and the right definitely saw me as the lesser of two evils.

------------

Back on topic, one of Vinage's greatest successes has been giving a new generation of Europeian leaders a chance to succeed. Problem is, none of them have seized that opportunity the way Vinage himself did during the two terms preceding his election. (Perhaps one or more of them will make the case they have done so in low-profile fashion.) As a consequence, we have an emerging generation of leaders who are still seen as unknown quantities, or have rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. Neither of those is a disqualifying flaw -- our best Presidents often aren't the ones who arrive in Goldenblock with the best resumes, and many have had to temper their stubbornness for the sake of the region. It does, however, mean that instead of a President-in-waiting (Vinage, me, NES, and many others) or a clash of the titans (Sopo/Apollo, Anumia/Oliver), we have a wide-open race -- probably the most open one we've had in my 2 1/2 years here.

Grab the popcorn. This is going to be good.

You're funny HEM :lol:

But really, I considered running for Prez. Don't think I will.
I honestly think your administration was one of the better ones in 2012, albeit short.

Is anyone else surprised that despite the domestic successes of Vinage's administration, none of his domestic-focused Cabinet ministers (Drexlore, Alexander, Gus) have been mentioned as presidential contenders??

Is anyone else surprised that despite the domestic successes of Vinage's administration, none of his domestic-focused Cabinet ministers (Drexlore, Alexander, Gus) have been mentioned as presidential contenders??
For me not too much, Drex & Alex' are still young [both in NS and RL terms] and could do with some more experience before moving on to the big job. Gus, like I said earlier, I would of thought might take a stab at running but this term hasn't been a good one for him so that'll rule him out.

For me not too much, Drex & Alex' are still young [both in NS and RL terms] and could do with some more experience before moving on to the big job. Gus, like I said earlier, I would of thought might take a stab at running but this term hasn't been a good one for him so that'll rule him out.
From what little I can tell, (I really have no idea) I don't think Gus wants to be pres, and Alex/Shadow & Drex have been highly accomplished in the Interior/CI areas, I'm not sure the public would see those alone as enough for Presidency.

I couldn't believe my luck when JGlenn, who at that time was a blank slate in terms of foreign/military policy, chose to run to my left. (Perceptions of me may have changed, but there wasn't much room to my left in those days.) It ended up working well for the region, though, as I was able to pull together a unity government -- JGlenn's allies on the left were already my friends, and the right definitely saw me as the lesser of two evils.
I don't think perceptions have changed. I think we simply have way more people that are farther left than you than we use to and fewer far rights(If I'm correctly assuming what groups of people you are considering left and right).

I actually share this sentiment, especially pertaining to Gus. I see Vinage's point about Drex and Alexander, but Gus has been a solid participant for a long time, though, admittedly, maybe not in the "right" areas.

I would prefer to see candidates such as Drecq, Gus, Shadow, Drexlore and Elias to wait a term or two more and gain more experience in a more wide array of areas - it would both improve their chances of being elected and improve their chances of being effective Presidents. When I ran I look back and know that I wouldn't have been ready to be the best Pres I could be. Though if this does turn out to be an open election, it could be just the right time for any of the above.

An NES v. CSP v. Swak election would be very interesting if that happened - and I can see Swak running, and I think it may a time for CSP to decide to run again - then there's NES who does a lot behind the scenes and may want to take the helm once again.

To quell any thoughts that may be going around on the matter, I will not be running for President in the upcoming term. :gentleman:

Back