Presidential Candidate Interviews

Presidential Candidate Interviews
By Marnip

With the polls opening up soon, I have decided to release the interview answers I have received thus far. These questions were sent on the 18th, with a reminder on the 20th.

Interviews:
1. Tell us a little about how you got started with NationStates and Europeia.

I saw an ad for NS in a magazine in my school library, of all places. This was back in Fall 2006. I was recruited to Norwood should after creating my first nation, "Kazaman," and began a career in the LKE and its colonies. I first encountered HEM in the LKE, and so I joined Europeia shortly after he founded it.

2. What Ministry are you wanting to see the most development in?

Trinnien's administration saw substantial growth in the Interior Ministry and modest gains elsewhere. I would like to push the Navy and Foreign Affairs further, since these are my particular areas of expertise.

My changes there focus on modest changes to boost efficiency; even my new Naturalisation Ministry is mostly a shift to make integration more efficient. The bulk of the work of my presidency would be spent on improving the Navy and using it as a tool to spread the influence of the Independent sphere into the struggling raider community.

The ERN has performed better in the last while than it has ever in this region's history, thanks to its use as a diplomatic tool. However, there are some gaps in the training materials. Sailors do not currently have excellent times, and they are not trained in rudimentary defence (e.g. spotting). And, most importantly, training one-on-one or in small groups does not happen often. Focused practice on improving or learning skills like in this manner will make the ERN more well-rounded and more effective. A well-rounded and effective military force is a more attractive partner for other regions, and is better able to serve Europeia's foreign policy needs.

I have a broad picture of what a stronger Navy could do, but let me point out a more tangible and likely gain (I'll talk about the broad picture in a later question). Normally, Europeia does not lead or plan operations against coups in the feeders or other large occupations, although it participates. The reason we don't lead is not that we lack the expertise at the administrative level. It's that the level of skill and activity in the rank and file is better suited to adding numbers than forming the core team of an operation. An increase in standards of training, especially in covering the basics more thoroughly with newcomers, is guaranteed to qualify us to lead. A bold administration is then all that's needed to realise that potential.

3. Integration has been discussed in the region recently. What plans do you have, if any, for the integration of new members?

I've written about this extensively, of course. I plan to have a dedicated staff working on this, with no other obligations besides a minimal amount of recruitment, in the Ministry of Naturalisation. Having people on this full-time is essential to doing the highest quality work. With more time to spend, Naturalisation staff will be able to maintain and improve the Newcomers Handbook and other written guides continually. Besides their initial writing or the rare complete revamping, these documents have never before gotten much attention from the Europeian government. They deserve attention. And newcomers need people to contact them about specific items of interest, rather than letting them wade into the pond and try to soak the whole thing up.

Other policies from my platform which people seem to miss include adding a three question "exam" to the citizenship application to get citizens reading beginner material actively, investing small amounts of time in the RMB to retain the nation count, and making cultural events more attractive and visible by making them a part of the forum body rather than shoving them into a corner. Each of these changes will boost forum activity.

4. How do you feel about the usage of Executive Orders and when would you use them during your Presidency?

I've always felt that Executive Orders are best reserved for emergencies, especially when the Senate is cooperative. I would use them sparingly.

5. What is your FA policy and what will you do to expand Europeian interests abroad?

There are some FA tasks which any candidate would need to perform. Maintaining relations with the GCRs and relieving tensions with TNP, for instance, is important. Neglecting that would constitute a failed term, and rolling back those partnerships would be an unmitigated disaster. Europeia also needs to attend to its other Independent allies such as the LKE.

Besides those tasks, I would like to rekindle our relationship with Baldur. I would also like to move toward a treaty with TWP. It would be a bumpy road navigating the other feeders' feelings on TWP's new government, but we may be received warmly following our part in the liberation from DEN. It's an opportunity we should explore.

Raider regions such as Auralia, The Knights of Ren, and HYDRA Command are in an awkward position now that DEN has collapsed. The raiding community has drastically shrunk and much of its talent is banned from the game for some time. They have demonstrated their ability to perform in their recent occupation of The United Reddit Nations. After improvements to the Navy get underway, I would like to enter talks with these regions and participate in joint operations of Europeia's choosing. My hope is that their wild spirit as raider organisations can be honed to perform precise diplomatic tasks. Update operations which Europeia and its allies struggle to find the numbers for could be supplemented by as many as 20 new update raiders.

Such a move not only undermines the future return of TBR's DEN leadership and thereby promotes ethical raiding. It also, by growing the Independent sphere and strengthening Europeia's interregional clout, undermines the Defender bloc that opposes Europeian interests.

6. What parts of your platform are you most excited about and how will they change Europeia?

My platform is an overview of Europeia's infrastructure and how it could operate better, and I have tried to deliver a series of ideas that will nourish it as a whole organism. The changes to Interior, such as citizenship reform and Naturalisation, as well as those to Culture, such as the increased use of the RMB and the forum-wide approach to festivals, will make the forum and region more lively and spur growth. This growth in activity can then be harnessed to enrich our culture and strength the arms of government with which we spread Europeian values globally. In short, I wouldn't split my platform into atomistic policies. It excites me in its entirety.

7. Any final words for voters and why they should vote for you?

Foreign affairs has suffered lately from lack of vision. I have vision in spades and the experience to realise my goals. We've been stuck following others militarily and engaging in stare downs with our feeder allies. Even if only part of what I plan is enacted, this will change. We will have a stronger Navy leading prestigious operations, and we will have moved our relationship with the GCRs beyond the stage of sibling rivalry. At best, we will have significantly grown the Independent sphere and made decisive moves against opposing factions.
1. Tell us a little about how you got started with NationStates and Europeia.

I got started with NationStates in October 2013, with my nation Calvin Coolidge. I was content just answering issues gameside and occasionally posting on the RMB until late June 2014, when I applied for citizenship and quickly got involved in the region through my newspaper “The Panda’s Pen”, and drafting (usually poor) bills in the Citizens’ Assembly. After about a month, I ran in a Senate by-election and got a close second, then just a few weeks after that I was nominated to be Minister of Communications by President Kraketopia, and that’s when my political career in Europeia really took off.

2. What Ministry are you wanting to see the most development in?

I would love to see a lot of development in the Ministry of Communications. My plan for the Ministry involves a complete overhaul of its internal structure to focus on writer education, as well as the promotion and creation of dispatches that can be used to raise the profile of all that we do in the region (EBC/private media articles, ERN victory announcements, etc), and our glorious Upvote Squad. In addition, our use of mixlr has been very disappointing (though we have seen some good progress from Europeia Today), and I know that through our use of the mixlr guide by hy, combined with the early promotion of shows and recruitment of guests, can raise the quality of our content exponentially. While all Ministries have room for improvement, Communications has the most potential for development, and we could really take off here next term.

3. Integration has been discussed in the region recently. What plans do you have, if any, for the integration of new members?

One plan I have for recruitment is the use of the Newcomers’ Hall, an underused part of our forum that can provide a great deal of benefits to the region its citizens. Newcomers enter this forum wanting to get involved, and while we offer some great opportunities, we can always offer more with the resources that we have. Let’s provide some lessons on the region through mixlr, and have newcomers sign up for weekly features to get acquainted with our people and our tools, in ways that encourage them to stick around and be contributing members, right out of the gate. We have the potential to do so much, and I feel that this would be a wonderful start for our citizens.

Another form of integration would be through the use of social media to broaden our scope in the online world, to give Europeia a presence beyond NationStates, to really build a community, not just a region. A first step as president should be to survey existing Europeians about what types of content they would like to see, and what types of content (particularly newcomers) think would have attracted them to the region, if we had something in place to do so. Maintaining an "embassy" on Reddit and similar sites might be a good option. YouTube has been asked for and used previously, and has the advantage of being able to host mixlr comment with subtitles, as we have done in the past. Twitter, as mentioned above, can be useful as well, but to get value it would need to be actively managed and engage with non-euro entities, and ideally non-NS entities. If we have the resources, participating in other online games where people with common interests will be is also a good option.

4. How do you feel about the usage of Executive Orders and when would you use them during your Presidency?

Executive Orders are usually pretty rare for our modern Presidents, and even Trinnein only used one (I’m not saying that I approve of the usage of the EO, I’m just clarifying how many he actually put out). I think there’s a good reason for that rarity, because unless there is a pressing need for legislation, the President shouldn’t have to create the law, that’s up to the President. In this specific scenario for EO 94, one could say there was a pressing need, due to the nature of the Senate, but that’s not the question, I suppose. During my Presidency, I wouldn’t release any EO without consulting with my Attorney General, and only when I feel that this legislation would not be passed by the Senate (either in an appropriate time, or at all).

5. What is your FA policy and what will you do to expand Europeian interests abroad?

We cannot afford to lose what we’ve gained in this area, which is why we will be continuing the successes we saw last term, but also let’s turn our expertise into real gains and strengthen our relationship with our allies, and look towards other friends in the Independent sphere, both within the independent sphere, such as the Kingdom of Alexandria, and beyond, such as Equilism, to make Europeia the premier friend in NS for those that want to improve our world. We will also be expanding our sphere through our cultural events, such as Symposiums and Weekend Games with our friends, as well as consistent usage of mixlr to interview foreign players of note, as a sort of global extension of the “Who’s Who?” program from a few terms ago. Lastly, we will be compiling our recent activities (Executive updates, ERN operations, media articles) into a dispatch that will be distributed at least twice a term. This method puts less strain on FA workers to create new content, and instead puts the emphasis on bringing attention to what our region has already done, and highlighting that.

6. What parts of your platform are you most excited about and how will they change Europeia?

Well, I already talked about my excitement for Communication next term, as well as social media integration so I’ll talk about something else I’m excited about: the ERN. Due to the recent coup in Osiris, this area is now more important than ever in recent history. We need to build up our numbers, stay active, and train our new recruits quickly. That’s why the ERN will be adding a Recruitment Deputy to reach out to new nations in the region on the RMB and by TG to ensure that those interested in the ERN find the ERN and get involved right away. To expand our training, we will have internal war games to train triggering against other sailors to compete for badges and recognition. Speaking of badges, the ERN will be introducing badges for missions next term that show how many operations each sailor attended per term, to be updated after every operation. There will be different levels of badges, each of which will only be awarded once a threshold is reached (i.e. five missions, ten missions, etc.)

7. Any final words for voters and why they should vote for you?

When you’re wondering who to vote for on the 22nd, remember that I’ve been intimately involved in on-going FA, and all matters of administration as a multi-term VP for quite some time now. I’m in a great position to know what needs doing and what is possible, and I have the most detailed plan. I know where there are opportunities and where there are problems. Malashaan is consistently regarded as one of the hardest working Europeians in our region, and our combined experience and work ethic will make this region run smoothly and reliably, to its highest potential. This ticket is ready to work, and you know what our plan will be, so I really hope we get a chance to put our plan in action. For a better Europeia, speak now and vote Calvin/Malashaan.

Back