former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - "President Addresses the Region"
Written by HEM Tiberius

President Anumia's second major address didn't mince words when it came to the likely future of Europeia's forum population: things aren't peachy keen.

Europeia's population slide has been a dramatic one. In just under four months the region has lost the coveted 1000 + status and continued a slide down to 700 which -- according to NShistory -- is the lowest level the region has been at since September 2011.

That being said, it isn't as if the grass is any greener elsewhere.

"Populations are plummeting everywhere," Princeton Professor Paul Krugman says, "The new rules of the game have broken up the population hegemonies of many regions. Nobody is winning. The only new regions in the "top 15" are puppet dumps."

Anumia, however, never resorts to pessimism in his speech saying that: "We enjoy a notable position on the world stage, our domestic situation - while dynamic - is stable and has enjoyed a significant period without personal divisions, and we embark upon our journey through the Industrial Age with united cause."

The President focuses on the "Grand Architecture Project" -- rather than population -- as the new test of our time. He argues that the outreach and benefits from this project will replace immigration and recruitment systems as the primary means for the region's growth.

"What's very interesting," Former UK Prime Minister John Major says, "Is that using regional assistance programs similar to the GAP have been out there for ages. Anumia didn't introduce a new idea, but because of the immigration situation this is the first time it has been truly viable."

At the end of his address President Anumia awarded numerous recipients the Order of Equity, The Order of Influence, and the Order of Scholarship.

Citizen reaction has been almost unanimously positive toward the speech, one might wonder if any political dissent exists at all?

"Citizens' Assembly sees new life under Chairwoman Mousebumples"

The Citizens' Assembly has seen new life under the new star Chair -- Mousebumples:

"Generally speaking, I've tried to increase activity this term by working on a review of all the existing CA Ordinances. We also just passed some pre-legislation, although, it looks like the Senate is likely to table that matter. I created a Senate-specific subforum for discussing Senate legislation, and we've had some activity in there as of late. I've also tried to be more engaged with regards to the Senate and hope to exercise my speaking rights in the Senate to better represent the thoughts and interests of the CA going forward."

These measures seem to have worked. The Citizen's Assembly, which is oftentimes borderline comatose has seen an explosion of activity and involvement. After only two weeks as Chairwoman, the CA seems to be reclaiming its title of legitimacy and activity.

The Citizens' Assembly is the successor organization to the longstanding Europeian City Council which was one of Europeia's most ancient -- and contested -- institutions. The City Council was originally formed in the fall of 2007, but was later disbanded after citizens attempted to use the institution to start a quasi-rebellion. Under a cloud of debate the institution was reformed in spring of 2009 and was partially credited with the Europeian Citizenship Boom of 2009.

The City Council was reassembled as the Citizen's Assembly under the leadership of Swakistek, and has enjoyed many ups and downs since.

"The problem with the leadership of the lay-legislature; be it in the City Council or the Citizens' Assembly, is that oftentimes the respective Chairmen aren't the most motivated individuals. Many politicians would seek the job after an election loss, particularly from the Senate, meaning they were oftentimes burnt out and not motivated," Former Tonight Show Host Jay Leno says, "This isn't Mousebumples at all. She is the very model of a Chairperson."

Chairwoman Mousebumples has tried to emphasize the institution's underpinnings as a learning environment: "I'm also trying to determine, with the help of my Assemblymen, what the best approach is to help prepare newcomers to Europeia (and the Citizens' Assembly) for running for higher office. I've tried to make the CA more of an active community, where there are plenty of things to engage in and get involved with. I've tried to foster a learning environment as well, as everyone - newcomers especially - will make mistakes."

Thoughts about the Citizens' Assembly or their Chairwoman? Send them to Editor-in-Chief, HEM.

Thanks for the CA shoutout, HEM! And I'd guess you could probably pass my thanks on to Jay Leno for the kind words he had for me, right? ;)

Well-written article, and a great read. *gives two thumbs up*

:cheers:

Mousebumples said:
Thanks for the CA shoutout, HEM! And I'd guess you could probably pass my thanks on to Jay Leno for the kind words he had for me, right? ;)

Well-written article, and a great read. *gives two thumbs up*

:cheers:
Always glad to give the CA some much needed love! :D

UCR populations being down is just UCRs getting what's been coming to them for their shameless exploitation of GCR resources. Karma hurts.

But seriously, Anumia has been doing a fantastic. Almost as good as Mousebumbles. But not quite :p

Rach said:
UCR populations being down is just UCRs getting what's been coming to them for their shameless exploitation of GCR resources. Karma hurts.

But seriously, Anumia has been doing a fantastic. Almost as good as Mousebumbles. But not quite :p
Rach, go home your drunk. :cheers:

HEM said:
Rach said:

*you're

and I still spell better than you ;)

Rach said:
HEM said:
Rach said:

*you're

and I still spell better than you ;)
I've still made more of a real contribution to the game than you. :ph43r:

Rach said:
But seriously, Anumia has been doing a fantastic.
Who is this fantastic that Anumia's been doing? :creepy:

Seriously, thanks, Rach. But I couldn't resist noticing the missing word there ...

Mousebumples said:
Rach said:

Seriously, thanks, Rach. But I couldn't resist noticing the missing word there ...
Darn. Kay, maybe I was drinking :p

Rach said:
:wub:

Mouse said:
Rach said:

:ph43r: :gentleman: :creepy:

Glad to hear we are doing what we can about the population decline.

Now that recruitment is no longer a function of effort, I expect that regional population will be a less reliable measure of regional health than it has been in the past.

Skizzy Grey said:
Glad to hear we are doing what we can about the population decline.

Now that recruitment is no longer a function of effort, I expect that regional population will be a less reliable measure of regional health than it has been in the past.
There are a few tricks still up our sleeve that we're testing, and we're working on more themed Telegrams too for the few that do slip through...but yeah. Our ability to directly recruit nations has dropped to the lowest level in the history of the Republic.

Back