Pre-Standing Senate Election Poll Results

Europeia Releases Senate Term Poll and Analysis

(Europeia, March 31st, 2015) - The Europeia Ministry of Communications has released a Senate term poll. The poll results reflects citizens’ opinions regarding the past Senate term.

The poll asked a total of 14 questions, including an individual evaluation of each Senator. Additional questions addressed the quality of Senate leadership, the future size of the Senate, and potential legislative topics, among others.

The poll questions and results are below.

How would you rate the overall performance of the Senate this past term?

Mean: 5.9
Mode: 7

This score is similar to the overall Senate performance score of last term, which had a handful of low scores. Could this mean voters are just as displeased with this term as they were the last? With the election panel looking to lower the number of seats, and all current Senators running for reelection, look for some big losses on Friday.

How would you rate the performance of Speaker Malashaan?

Mean: 8.5 (highest)
Mode: 9

Speaker Malashaan has the highest approval score of any Senator. Malashaan won praise for his “to-do list” and other activity generating actions throughout the term, on top of being the most active Senator.

How would you rate the performance of Deputy Speaker Kraketopia?

Mean: 6.2
Mode: 8

Earning the second highest score, second-in-command Kraketopia seems to have the approval of most voters, and has frequently been on top of his duties as Deputy, filling in for Malashaan during his absences.

How would you rate the performance of Senator Anumia?

Mean: 6.1
Mode: 6 & 7

Being one of the most wordy in his additions to the debates, including a complete rewrite of one proposal puts Anumia in the middle of the pack, just .1 behind Kraketopia in approval. Anumia has caught some criticism for his inconsistent activity, resulting in a lower average.

How would you rate the performance of Senator HEM?

Mean: 5
Mode: 6

HEM’s not at the bottom, but he’s pretty close. Seeing as the main source of HEM’s activity this term came from defending the controversial (and ultimately failed) Vice-Delegate Act, and critiquing his other Senators on the Senate floor, this score should not be too surprising to the Supreme Chancellor.

How would you rate the performance of Senator Raging Zen Master?

Mean: 4.9 (lowest of active Senators)
Mode: 2 & 6

Coming in at the bottom of the current Senators is Raging Zen Master, who came into this term under heavy criticism for his low activity, and much of that criticism has not gone away. Many would say his main contribution to the Senate this term was his appointment of Cerian Quilor to be his substitute during his absence.

How would you rate the performance of former Senator Brunhilde?

Mean: 4.7 (lowest, but no longer a Senator)
Mode: 5

Former Senator Brunhilde got the lowest score out of all the Senators this term, despite being very active up until her resignation due to health concerns. Perhaps this is due to her proposal of the unpopular Vice-Delegate Act, or perhaps voters only remember her low activity immediately preceding her resignation.

Would you like to see Malashaan serve another term as Speaker of the Senate?

Looking at Malashaan’s approval score, this graph makes a lot of sense. Voters want an active Speaker, and Malashaan was the most active Senator, who performed admirably in his return to the Speaker role.

Out of all of the current Senators, whom would you reelect?

HEM and Raging Zen Master come in at the very bottom, with HEM getting the short end of the stick. If we use this chart to reflect the will of the voters, it seems HEM will be the odd Senator out after Election Day, if the electoral panel decides to lower the seat number to seven, as it looks like they will.

How many seats should the next Senate have?

The voters seem to agree with the Electoral Panel’s decision to lower the number of seats, but just barely. A majority of voters would prefer the number to stay the same, or increase. However, the public is clearly split on this issue and is likely willing to accept a slight decrease.

What do you think will be the hot topic(s) of the Senate Election?

Answers said:
Activity, experience, and attitude.
Non-citizens' rights, Line of Sucession
Intellectual Property legislation and the Vice-delegate position should still make for good discussion.
DEIA, Senate Activity, Vice-Delegate
Vice Delegate and possibly Diplomatic Immunity

What legislative topics do you hope the next Senate will address?

Answers said:
  • Intellectual Property
  • DEIA, Non-Citizens' Rights
  • New legislation on the use of Classified Information in the courts and continued discussion on Intellectual Property
  • Line of Succession, so we can finally get that done. Same with non-citizens' rights, that needs to be addressed. Also, the Extortion Bill in the CA. I'd like to move up to the Senate.
  • Further overhauls of existing laws to improve language.
  • The remainder of the current "to-do" list

What new faces that are currently not in the Senate do you hope to see stand?

PASD, Rose Peak, Rach, Peace Republic, Starstream Tribe or Fortunado, Vinage, Sigma, Cerian, hyanygo, Deepest House, Ninja Kittens (if she is well enough)

Do you have any comments on the past Senate or the election?

Answers said:
  • Possibly the worst Senate ever
  • Way too many seats for the activity we had. I'd cut it down to six next time.
  • It was a definite improvement in activity, I hope to see the next Seante step it up again
  • Overall a good Senate.
  • Holy Resignations In And Out Of The Senate
  • I feel the term started out very good, but the activity from HEM and RZM was very poor, and Anumia was very inconsistent throughout the term. Not only that, but RL wrecked the Senate again, and everything seemed to spiral down after resignations. I hoped the Senate would accomplish more this term. However, I think if we have a lower number of seats next time, more active Senators will go into the Senate.

Produced by the Ministry of the Communications.​

Written by Deepest House, Calvin Coolidge, and Writinglegend
Polling by Writinglegend

There's been a lot of turnover, but I don't think this Senate has been particularly bad.

If only the polls agreed with that? Unless below 6 is now considered a good score

People don't approve of the Senate, but they do approve of the Speaker. They don't approve of the level of activity, but don't know if we should have less or more seats next term. This poll has a lot of interesting facets. They want the Senate to go back to many of the issues that we looked at this term. I think my biggest takeaway from this poll is that we should try to find a way to make the Vice Delegate and Intellectual Property work. We should try to get that done next term. People's problem is the activity. Not that the Senate wasn't productive enough, but maybe that it wasn't visible enough?

Vinage Vinage said:
If only the polls agreed with that? Unless below 6 is now considered a good score
I'm not saying the polls reflect that opinion, but I personally don't think it's been as bad as the numbers indicate.

Sopo said:
Vinage Vinage said:
I'm not saying the polls reflect that opinion, but I personally don't think it's been as bad as the numbers indicate.
But the numbers do indicate that

McEntire said:
People don't approve of the Senate, but they do approve of the Speaker. They don't approve of the level of activity, but don't know if we should have less or more seats next term. This poll has a lot of interesting facets. They want the Senate to go back to many of the issues that we looked at this term. I think my biggest takeaway from this poll is that we should try to find a way to make the Vice Delegate and Intellectual Property work. We should try to get that done next term. People's problem is the activity. Not that the Senate wasn't productive enough, but maybe that it wasn't visible enough?
The Senate should drop the Vice Delegate measure immediately and repent for wasting everybody's time.

Common-Sense Politics said:
McEntire said:
The Senate should drop the Vice Delegate measure immediately and repent for wasting everybody's time.
That's probably why not a single Senator voted in favor of it when it came up for a vote, but I don't think genuflection is an item on any of our platforms. There's clearly still some public interest, so maybe it's worth re-examining.

Where do you get from that the people want us to look at the VD amendment again? The only time it is mentioned in this poll is when people are asked what they think the hot topics of this election shall be. But when asked what they would like the next Senate to address the VD amendment is suspiciously absent. So if anyone brings it up again I will do the same thing I did last time around and vote against it, but I wont argue against it. I did that once already and I see no reason to do so again. It will fail anyways. The problems with the amendment arent something that the Senate can fix since one of the problems is the existence of the amendment itself.

If the presence of public interest was the standard by which we seek to effect policy, we'd have bitten the dust a long time ago.

True. It makes it easier though when the people are as thoroughly uninterested in a piece of legislation as me.

The VD Legislation was pulled apart in the Citizens' Assembly as being a waste of time, shouldn't have lasted as long as it did in the Senate.

Back