Political Parties Act (2012)

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Ever since elementary school, I've always had an attachment to math. I'm not going to come out and say I was great at it, but there were certain aspects that appealed to me. First and foremost, division. Yes, there was nothing I liked more than taking a perfectly normal number and cutting it up and mangling it to pieces. Some people have even said that's why I like politics. Who has said that? Well, I just have.

Along the same vein of division, let's talk about political parties, the less popular cousins of the birthday parties. Do you like taking a unified group of people and splitting them up into smaller groups? If so, don't get too ahead of yourself. You should probably read the Political Parties Act (2012) before going any further. There's also some discussion going on in the Senate and Citizens' Assembly that will be talked about.

First, the act tells us that it is an "Act to regulate the formation, maintenance and activity of Europeian Political Parties." So, if you've ever wanted to do any of those things, you're reading the right article. If you are here for the bar mitzvah, you'll want to try the room across the hall. The first section that we should display is the "Definitions" section, which says,
(2) A "Political Party" is defined as an organisation consisting of members who are united for a common political purpose.

Whereas, if you have an organization of members united for a common religious purpose, again, the bar mitzvah is across the hall. This definition is still a little vague, though. Is there a specific number that has to be reached before a group becomes a political party? Also, how long could a party be maintained? These questions, and more, will be answered in the section "Recognition of Political Parties".
3) In order to maintain a registered Political Party, the following conditions must be satisfied:

1. a minimum of three citizens shall be required as members; and

2. a reasonable level of political activity must be maintained.

(4) The registration of Political Parties is subject to evidence that the criteria in s3 would be satisfied upon its formation, and the discretion of the Office of the Supreme Chancellor.

(5) Failure to uphold the criteria of s3, or other activity requiring such intervention as deemed by the Office of the Supreme Chancellor, shall result in the de-registration of the Political Party in question, and the consequent reversal of any benefits granted under s7 of this Act.

(6) Upon petition, such a de-registration may be reversed by a Supreme Chancellor at his discretion, provided that there is reasonable evidence that the criteria of s3 would be satisfied upon its renewed registration.

There's your answer, Europeia. You need at least three citizens, and you have to be "reasonably" active. Whether that means hot naked yoga, or simply a few toe touches every now and then, I'll never know. If either one of those criteria are not met, the Supreme Chancellor has the power to break up your party. If you finally get your act together, though, you can petition to get it back, if the Supreme Chancellor deems you worthy of his favor.

Once you've gone through all the trouble of getting a political party, what sort of perks do you get? The section "Rights of registered Political Parties" explains,
(7) Registered Political Parties shall be entitled to maintain a Europeian subforum, and shall be entitled to restrict access to an internal headquarters through either mask-based access or password protection.

Essentially, you get a bunch of secret stuff that nobody will ever see outside of your party. If that sounds like your idea of fun, then please, the bar mitzvah is across the hall.

That is it for this act, but, as I said, there is also discussion in the Palace of the People, with amendments being proposed in both the Senate and the Citizens' Assembly. Let's start with the Senate one, because it's shorter. The amendment, proposed by Senator, and Democratic Action Front party Chairwoman, Zenny Anumia, adds the line "(8) Justices of the High Court may not be members of any political party during their tenure." This amendment has not really seen much discussion, as it has been pointed out a better amendment is currently being proposed in the Citizens' Assembly, and that this amendment would be better off amending the Judicature Act instead.

With that in mind, let's move on to the Citizens' Assembly where Assemblyman McEntire has proposed an alternative to Assemblyman Apollo's tabled amendment. This proposal includes the Senate's, but clarifies that it includes both Associate and Chief Justices. Also, it adds the line, "The Attorney General shall have access to all Political Party subforums at all times, including internal headquarters." This line has created a lot of controversy, as this would essentially infringe on the party's right to be secret, with a government official in the formerly secret subforum. So far, there have been threats to move headquarters of a political party off-site if this proposal passes, to avoid government overreach. Currently, the discussion is ongoing.

To conclude, this article has explained how a political party is formed, operated, and the perks it is granted. With amendments in both the Senate and Citizens' Assembly, it would not be a stretch to call this act the hottest topic in the region. And, if it is not, then I probably generated the heat anyway (not that I generated the heat in the first place with a poll or anything... :innocent: ) Either way, I hope you are more informed about this important issue as a result of this article. As always, I encourage anyone who wishes to find out more to check out the Law Index, or to look at the Senate proposal "(Z.A.) Amendment to the Political Parties Act (2012)" or the Citizens' Assembly proposal "First Amendment to the Political Parties Act (2014)". Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, humming "Hava Nagila".

Back