Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network

Political Chaos Ensues
Written By Wolfe Blitzer
ENN Chief Editor

The political scene in Europeia has imploded within the last 72 hours.

Vice President Lethen issued a stunning statement, admitting that he had frequently viewed political party private forums, using his admin abilities to secure the password and read information for his own personal interest. This revelation comes off the heels of a controversial and public scandal of Kazaman breaking into the EFP and stealing information for the ECCP at the height of the last election. Wounds take time to heal, and the lack of time between these two events have left many Europeians angry and bitter.

One of the consensuses among newer members is that the elite protect themselves using numbers, and were appalled at the apathetic, or even supportive comments Lethen got in response to his confession.

"Absolutely deplorable," and an unnamed staff member to Deputy Mayor Dementaria, "The elite manage to shelter Lethen, while he commits crimes. This is a shame."

However, this argument has gotten much farther than just a debate. Internal Goldenblock informants claim that members of the Executive staff have expressed a reluctance to countinue to work for HEM after his so-so declaration of support for Lethen, and his subsequent outbursts. Many speculate that this lead to him to decide to resign as Chief of Staff in order to allow him to not have a negative effect on the administration. However sources inside the Goldenblock say that former Vice President Anumia and President Lexus convinced the Chancellor to stay on, citing the need for continuing compromise and healing on this issue.

The Chancellor has been cited to be especially stressed over this issue, and mumblings of a total resignation and total leave were floating around until squashed by the Palatium staff a few hours before.

"Nope, not going to happen." Rid Chuckles stated, who is a chief aid to the Chancellor on domestic policy.

Meanwhile, as the Grand Hall catches on fire, and the new Chief Justice faced his first real test, we are all reduced to wondering...Is anybody right?

Well, of course neither side is exactly right...Its like this (and this won't be fair nor pretty).

Like the United States of America, Europeia legislates for horizontal individualism (that is, the individual is valued and equal to everyone else) yet is in reality vertical individualism (individual is value, but inequal to everyone else; for America's class sytem, we offer up the old/young player age gap). So to argue that there isn't an elite vs. young clash going on in the region is pointless.

Often I've joked about how we're an oligarchy, but think about it: Who has been in control of Europeia the longest besides myself and HEM? Right now, its Lex, Asianatic, and possibly Anumia. Before that, it was Danoboy63 and Pineapleboy. Before that, Lord Alphanesia's name would be thrown into that mix. The list goes on. For every generation, we have the elite. Its unspoken, but its a reality.

Then of course you have to take my side of the argument as compared to Dem's side (I say Dem since he is the main spearhead of this movement against me...which is good lol. Rather him than some clod like Cary), since the key to any interpersonal conversation is recognizing that both sides have different stories.

My side of the argument is that, while what I did was illegal, its been allowed to happen by the elite and others for so *long* that I've come to think of it as a right...which sounds odd. For example, on two occasions I've handed over evidence to people to have me taken to court for it, but...well...thats never happened (and I did so not out of self-pity but to create controversy and breed activity for the region --> When you don't have somewhere to focus your energy, I give you someone to focus it on, etc.).

In no way am I right legally, but its a reality that I, at least, still think with the old mentality of the region. There were times in the past when we'd tweak minor changes in bills and laws without even consulting the Senate, to adjust things such as length of readings and so forth. We never tampered with the Constitution, btw, before anyone asks. And by we I mean me, myself, and I usually with tacit approval from one or two people (Pine, Dano, HEM, etc.). Back then, we couldn't afford to legislate over such trivial matters when the problem had to be fixed *then and now.*

So my past of pushing the envelope, being unhampered when reading private forums, and my intense curiosity have both combined to let me think that what I was doing was right. There were many instances where I wouldn't be allowed, such as entering a Foreign Affairs conference eventhough I was Grand Admiral, but I did anyway and was not fettered (which is correct considering I do have/should have basic access to most executive and legislative areas as Vice Chancellor, and as should HEM).

On to Dem's side...

Now of course I can't possibly claim to know everything that drives Dem's motives or shapes his perception of the situation. I can infer (not assume lol) that he believes that we should be as equal as we claim to be, and perhaps that is finally a viable option; we'll have to see. There must also be his general annoyance with my laissez faire attitude towards all this, considering he dislikes Allied Alliances' crap and he was not happy when Aramor insulted Cary in the Republica Square the other day. Its his views, after all, and for every one of us jerks there have to be the nice guys who tell us to...f*** off ( :p ). Besides those two factors, Dem must also resent the idea of there being an elite side of the region, where the elite can be sheltered from danger...he was raised in the environment of the City Council, which by its design wants to be reactionary against the Senate (but, thankfully, is not) and is told its inferior. The CC has been an amazing medium for giving the younger members a voice, and perhaps this voice has been hidden for so long but now it is finally brewing. And finally, there's the change of attitude towards this sort of thing. As I would characterize it based off of my example of our minor tweakings of the law, this is like the Old American West (Me) vs. the Modern Society. While Dem believes in law and order and upholding whats right through the legal system...I would rather settle things with the gun (not sure what that would translate into in NS terms).

I can't possibly have gotten Dem's reasons right, and I apologize to him if any of my paragraph about his motives/intentions/perceptions seemed too...mean? but I tried not to make it that way. If I'm taking communications classes, I may as well apply them, you know? Hell, I can't even get *my* full intentions right. I just tried to be as reflective as possible.

I miss Danoboy63 and Pineapleboy and all of the other EA fokes.

IM LONELY BEING THE LAST EA VETERAN!

I'd say there are a couple of...exaggerations perhaps...in the story:

Vice President Lethen issued a stunning statement

I wouldn't call it a -statement-. :p

This revelation comes off the heels of a controversial and public scandal of Kazaman breaking into the EFP and stealing information for the ECCP at the height of the last election.

Two things:

-It wasn't "breaking into", it was as if he still had a copy of the key to get in the door and they didn't change the locks; and
-While he did -give- the information to the ECCP I wouldn't phrase it as he "stole it -for-" them, because that plus the breaking in bit makes it sound like he was sent on a deliberate mission to infiltrate the place to get information for them, when the reality is he still had access and did not restrain himself, and presented some information from the EFP to the ECCP.

I'd say there are a couple of...exaggerations perhaps...in the story:

Vice President Lethen issued a stunning statement

I wouldn't call it a -statement-. :p

This revelation comes off the heels of a controversial and public scandal of Kazaman breaking into the EFP and stealing information for the ECCP at the height of the last election.

Two things:

-It wasn't "breaking into", it was as if he still had a copy of the key to get in the door and they didn't change the locks; and
-While he did -give- the information to the ECCP I wouldn't phrase it as he "stole it -for-" them, because that plus the breaking in bit makes it sound like he was sent on a deliberate mission to infiltrate the place to get information for them, when the reality is he still had access and did not restrain himself, and presented some information from the EFP to the ECCP.
I wasn't going to say anything about it...but yea, Anumia hit the nail on the head there.

He was on a deliberate mission to wreck the EFP, whether the ECCP asked him to or not only helps in their defense as an organization.

He was on a deliberate mission to wreck the EFP, whether the ECCP asked him to or not only helps in their defense as an organization.
He was on a deliberate mission...? Wow, thats just stupid. I think he was on a deliberate mission to piss them off, but not to destroy them.

He was on a deliberate mission...? Wow, thats just stupid. I think he was on a deliberate mission to piss them off, but not to destroy them.
Yeah, I'd have to suggest you ought to be careful to avoid falling into the post hoc ergo propter hoc argument there...

Just because the EFP fell apart shortly after the whole thing went down doesn't mean that Kaz's actions caused the downfall of the EFP or that he intended to cause the downfall with his actions.

I'm not arguing that he caused the EFP's downfall, I am arguing that he was doing it with the intention of screwing the EFP over.

I'm not arguing that he caused the EFP's downfall, I am arguing that he was doing it with the intention of screwing the EFP over.
The intention of screwing them over in an election and the intention of wrecking their party are two very distinct intentions on very different scales.

Either way, it's kind of a dick move. :p
One's significantly less of a dick move than the other, that's my point. It's like the difference between trying to stop a particular episode of a show from coming to air and trying to get the whole damn show cancelled.

Either way, it's kind of a dick move. :p
One's significantly less of a dick move than the other, that's my point. It's like the difference between trying to stop a particular episode of a show from coming to air and trying to get the whole damn show cancelled.
Yet both methods can usually lead to a lack of support from the network, which then ensures the downfall of the show.

I don't care if any argument other than "That was wrong" is wrong. "That was wrong" is right.

Regards,

I don't agree with the statement that it was wrong. If HEM had said just that, I wouldn't have had cause to disagree.

So you disagree that you disagreed?

Regards,

Kazaman was trying to hurt the EFP. That much is clear and obvious. Yes, we wanted to wreck the party. He clearly showed he hated everything it was after he left.

I stand firmly by my statements.

Back