Opinion: My Choice for President

Opinion: My Choice for President
Written by McEntire

(Europeia - June 15, 2017) - Frequently, in contentious elections people say that there are truly multiple good choices, but one candidate ended up winning out. Usually, they're lying. In the current race for President, they would be telling the truth. Writinglegend, Darcness, and Rand are all fine candidates, and have shown themselves well in this campaign. In truth, I have been undecided. While I have expressed my excitement that the Writinglegend/Deepest House ticket entered the campaign, I have also worked well with President Darcness throughout my time as Speaker, and have admired the way that Darcness picked up at a difficult time for the region and carried himself with dignity. I have admired Rand's campaign and was frankly pleasantly surprised by his performance at the debate last night. I have been the underdog candidate for President before, hoping for a debate win that could launch the momentum of a campaign. In fact, the last time I was in such a position was against Writinglegend himself, and there's a reason that I lost that race.

Writinglegend proved himself again last night, and for that reason, the Writinglegend/Deepest House ticket is my choice for President.

As I've said, while there are three fine candidates, I believe that there is only one who is well positioned to be a part of the movement going on in Europeia right now. We are refocusing on community, on education, and on building together. We see it in many of the actions we've taken in the Senate, striving towards people-centric governance. We see it in Erica's successful bid for CA chair, which focused on education. We need a partner in a President that understands how to build community, and there is no finer choice than Writinglegend. His deep ties in the community, forged by years of service, have helped him work with anyone and everyone. That's the brand of inclusive leadership we need right now, at this particular moment in Europeian history.

Not only that, but communication will be the key to our ability to build community within Europeia and with other regions. Without a doubt, the finest communicator in this region is Deepest House, and this ticket's commitment to a unified communications strategy will help us sell ourselves and understand each other better. I have had the pleasure of working with Deepest House in several capacities, and have immense trust and respect for the professional that he is. With DH ably communicating the community-centric vision of Writinglegend, we will grow together and build our reputation abroad. In the past, the Ministry of Communications has been seen as the overseer of the EBC, nothing more. There's a true opportunity there, to use the MinComm to build a communications strategy for the Executive and the region. While DH has purposefully eschewed political ambition, so much so that I was surprised to see him take this appointment, I know as his deputy this term that he has the kind of steady, purposeful leadership that will serve the region well at a higher level.

As a Texan outside of this game, I appreciate the personal touch of politics. The grip and grin, if you will. I have many stories of WL building a personal relationship with me, even when we were running against each other several years ago. And I suspect that many of you do as well. If Europeia is to continue to grow, we have to lean into our strengths, and to do that we need a leader that has a personal sense of his duty to the region, and love and affection for the people in it. In my opinion, this term we need Writinglegend and Deepest House for President and Vice President. I will be voting for them, and I hope you'll join me.

Maybe I'm a bit conservative or off with my views here -- that shall be for others to judge -- but I don't think the EBC should be used for election endorsements, especially not literally the last few hours before the election starts.

Other than that, a well-reasoned and good article.

Neat article, McEntire. I know EBC has been used for Op Eds before so this isn't exactly new-- but I think in the future it would be interesting to see voters submit Op Eds for or against issues, and their reasoning on why their supporting candidates.

I find this really inappropriate when the person in charge of the EBC is on the ticket being endorsed. I'm not claiming that there's any foul play here on DH's part of course, only that perhaps this would have been better suited for a private paper. Or if an op-ed for each of the Presidential candidates had been posted, the state media wouldn't seem skewed towards one candidate.

Personally, I don't see the issue. It's pretty clear this is just Mac's opinion from the very title. Of course, I wouldn't complain to have seen this article published by a private paper.

Seven Deaths said:
I find this really inappropriate when the person in charge of the EBC is on the ticket being endorsed. I'm not claiming that there's any foul play here on DH's part of course, only that perhaps this would have been better suited for a private paper. Or if an op-ed for each of the Presidential candidates had been posted, the state media wouldn't seem skewed towards one candidate.
I can understand why it would bother some, but I think the reason why it doesn't bother me is because I view it the same way I view issues on Radio: anyone is free to show up to make their voice heard. For example on Radio there have been numerous times during specific issue debates or broadcasts where one side hasn't been adequately or objectively fairly proportionally represented. I think it would be a bigger issue if DH was actively blocking other candidates' supporters' opinions from being heard, but I don't think that's the case here. I'm assuming that any candidate's supporters (or detractors?) could issue Op Eds through the EBC that would be accepted and published, too, so long as they didn't contain some egregious profanity. If that's the case I would encourage that to happen, especially from Citizens or elected officials like Senators, it'd be neat to see why people support candidates when it's well reasoned.

Jahka said:
Personally, I don't see the issue. It's pretty clear this is just Mac's opinion from the very title. Of course, I wouldn't complain to have seen this article published by a private paper.
For me personally the issue doesn't even lie with the endorsement itself -- As SD said, and I agree with that a 100%, had other tickets done the same, I think that would have been fine. Pretty great even, to have such a series and different views on the election. But the EBC hasn't been used for endorsements in years, and this OP-ed was released only few hours before the election,so I don't think many people will still have time to reply in favour of their candidate, even if they wanted to. Nor that it would matter by the time they get to reply. Maybe DH asked others to comment or argue in favour of their candidates, if not I think this wasn't handled too well. Opinion or not, if there isn't anything to counter it (either facts or in this case even better countering views), the balance is simply wrong.

Edit: Again, simply my views on it though.

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Seven Deaths said:
I can understand why it would bother some, but I think the reason why it doesn't bother me is because I view it the same way I view issues on Radio: anyone is free to show up to make their voice heard. For example on Radio there have been numerous times during specific issue debates or broadcasts where one side hasn't been adequately or objectively fairly proportionally represented. I think it would be a bigger issue if DH was actively blocking other candidates' supporters' opinions from being heard, but I don't think that's the case here. I'm assuming that any candidate's supporters (or detractors?) could issue Op Eds through the EBC that would be accepted and published, too, so long as they didn't contain some egregious profanity. If that's the case I would encourage that to happen, especially from Citizens or elected officials like Senators, it'd be neat to see why people support candidates when it's well reasoned.
You make a fair point, and maybe my understanding of how the EBC operates is flawed, but I was under the assumption that any pieces with the official EBC logo at the top went through the Minister's approval. And it would absolutely be great if we could see op-eds on other candidates, but on the night before the election I'm not sure there'd be enough time to adequately write one, edit it and get the approval before the polls open to provide enough balance.

Would Deepest House like to make a statement on this?
BTW good article McEntire

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Seven Deaths said:
While I don't have a problem with this article, I think there's a pretty big difference between radio and comms when it comes to representing all sides. Often times on radio, who is on is only who is available, and that will leave it more open to only one sides views being portrayed. For articles like this, it would be pretty easy to reach out to people with different viewpoints a few days in advance to have them write an article. That being said, anyone is free to write an article like this and post it in a private news outlet or maybe get it published in here, so I don't see any reason to criticize this being published.

Hmmmm... fair enough, I didn't mean that the situations were the exact same-- there's differences for sure, but the root of the comparison is what I was trying to convey.

I'll just say this: I posted the article of my own volition, and not as a deputy in the Ministry. DH has consistently welcomed a wide variety of people to post their opinions in the EBC, and I'm sure that he would have welcomed opposing points of view. In hindsight, I could have avoided any controversy by releasing this opinion in private media, but the EBC has become the outlet that I've contributed to most and am most comfortable with. Regardless, I stand by the substance of the article.

I haven't written for the EBC in a long time, but when I did, I wrote opinion pieces all the time, including a presidential election endorsement (when I was the sitting President, no less). Assuming no one who asked to write an endorsement for another candidate was turned away, think this is much ado about nothing; the DH connection didn't even occur to me until someone brought it up. Honestly, I'm just glad to see quality content -- good article, Mac.

Back