Opinion: CA Chair Publicly Humiliates Constituent in Reprehensible Character Assassination

Opinion: CA Chair Publicly Humiliates Constituent in Reprehensible Character Assassination
By Deepest House

(Europeia – September 25, 2017) - The Citizens’ Assembly (CA) is Europeia’s lower legislature, the lawmaking body closest to the citizens. By law, every Europeian is a member of the CA. It is often where new citizens get their first start in lawmaking and serving in elected office. The body as a whole is highly regarded among the population, serves an integral role in our noble republic, and serving as its Chair is a moderately prestigious position within the region. Current CA Chair GraVandius recently publicly humiliated Aditya Republic and cast aside his opinion as unworthy of being considered. For an elected official charged with representing and considering the opinions of all citizens, this is unacceptable behavior.

Aditya Republic participated in the recent debate encompassing the split of the EBC into forum and sub-forum, stating his agreement that the creation of a sub-forum was not necessary. GraVandius, in an attempt to minimize the support for the opinions stated in the EBC piece, immediately disregarded Aditya Republic as unable to grasp the issue at hand.

“First of all you counted Adyita (sic), which I think can fairly be chalked up with the same amount of understanding and involvement as every other one of his "nice" comments,” the CA Chair snarked incredulously. This unprovoked attack on Aditya Republic’s intellectual capabilities began a string of attacks on the CA Chair’s constituent.

When challenged that he simply cast aside the valid opinion of a citizen, GraVandius doubled down on his public embarrassment of Aditya in a manner unbecoming the position he holds.

“Your (sic) telling me that you honestly believe that Adytia (sic) has a complete understanding of the issue and formed his own comprehensive opinion on the topic?”

The egregious grammar and spelling mistakes aside, the second quote is absolutely horrible and offensive to Aditya Republic. Together, these two assaults on Aditya Republic illustrate GraVandius’ willingness and ability to publicly marginalize and embarrass his constituents, and displays a hubris unfit for the office of CA Chair. The CA Chair should be the elected official most willing to legitimately entertain the opinions of the electorate, and the CA Chair certainly shouldn’t publicly discount his constituents as unworthy of even having an opinion. In another post in another thread, GraVandius chalked up Aditya’s behavior in the region to “stupidity.”

Aditya Republic is as deserving of having the CA Chair listen to and respect his opinions as is every other member of our region. He certainly does not deserve the public humiliation and shaming for merely holding an opinion. Extrapolating from this incident, it is clear that any opinion stated by Aditya Republic within the CA will likely be summarily dismissed without consideration by the current chair. GraVandius made clear he does not believe Aditya Republic has the intellectual capabilities to form his own opinion about current events. Moving beyond Aditya Republic, the CA Chair has also demonstrated an ability to disregard an opinion simply based on whose it is, rather than its merits. That is not behavior that we should expect, nor accept, from our CA Chair.

It is the responsibility of the CA Chair to faithfully represent the electorate that put him in office. A significant part of that is an honest ear to listen to, and consider, their opinions. Aditya Republic is only one person, but how many other citizens does GraVandius think is unworthy of having an opinion? How many citizens won’t have their interests even heard, let alone represented, by the CA Chair if he is willing to completely marginalize and humiliate them in a very public manner for stating them?

The bottom line is that GraVandius should not have publicly embarassed Aditya Republic in an attempt to advance his argument. It was not necessary, and a low blow that is demonstrative of the depths to which GraVandius will go to advance his agenda. Given his position as an elected official, GraVandius must conduct himself in a more appropriate manner and treat all citizens with the respect they deserve. We as citizens should evaluate whether GraVandius represents the values we desire in an elected official. Finally, he owes Aditya Republic an apology for the unprovoked character assassination.

This article brings up some intresting points, but it is important the others have done the same thing.

There's a difference between making comments on what Grav says and writing a whole Op-Ed about how Grav is engaging in 'reprehensible' behavior.

Kylia Quilor said:
There's a difference between making comments on what Grav says and writing a whole Op-Ed about how Grav is engaging in 'reprehensible' behavior.
This.

While I think GraV's first comment was okay and his second comment was out-of-line, I think that this op-ed is much more worse - and puts the author in a worse light - than GraV's comments about Aditya.

Lethen said:
Kylia Quilor said:
This.

While I think GraV's first comment was okay and his second comment was out-of-line, I think that this op-ed is much more worse - and puts the author in a worse light - than GraV's comments about Aditya.
I agree. This article, in effect does the exact same thing, if not worse, that GraVandias did.

Hi DH. If you felt so strongly about this why didn't you motion for a vote of no-confidence instead of running to the EBC to deride me?

I would additionally like to state that I apologize if Adytia read my comments and assumed that I was attacking his intellectual abilities. Contrary to what you suggest, I am sure he is fully capable of forming his own opinions and thinking critically it is just very rare that we see him apply himself to address an issue or legislation in this region. That is what I was getting at with my comments.

Hi Grav.

I didn't really think a vote like that was necessary. I really just wanted to call attention to your words, as I felt Aditya was unjustly characterized in the posts. I'll admit the tone of the piece was over the top, and unnecessary. For that I'll apologize, there was no need. I do feel like you were unfair and inappropriate towards him, though. I like Aditya a lot. For all of his idiosyncrasies, he makes Euro a better place in my opinion.

To answer your question, it was pulled from here: http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/10022133/4/#post10095187

Sometimes when I get worked up and writing, I don't hold back and just go for broke. It's how I'm used to writing. That's what happened here.

Why are we singling out GraV for doing the same thing that practically everyone else has done? I found this to be over the top considering the actual comments made... a bit of a hit piece.

But maybe we also could try not being dicks to Aditya all the time? I mean it would be better to ignore him.

Sopo said:
Why are we singling out GraV for doing the same thing that practically everyone else has done? I found this to be over the top considering the actual comments made... a bit of a hit piece.

But maybe we also could try not being dicks to Aditya all the time? I mean it would be better to ignore him.
I will agree with things said by others in this thread - DH saying he has a soft spot for Aditya, and Sopo's comments here. I'm not saying that I know Aditya well (or at all, really) or that I think he is a great candidate to be our next elected [fill in the blank].

It makes me sad when I see people trolling Aditya with election threads or whatever, making him (probably?) feel like he's got support and a shot at whatever he was running for. Yes, I get that we all can have our own immature moments (and I know I've said and posted things that I've later regretted), but we're Europeia. We should be better than ridiculing a citizen of our region for daring to aim for higher office. We should be better than ridiculing a player for whom English is their second language.

I would echo what Sopo said and encourage people that don't care for Aditya to consider ignoring him, rather than trolling the hell out of him because you can. (Not sure how to ignore someone? Go to their profile page, and under Profile Options (upper-left) click "Ignore [Username].")

Sopo said:

This is so true. We need to really work on how we treat new members that don't conform to our standards and expectations.

Lethen said:
Sopo said:

This is so true. We need to really work on how we treat new members that don't conform to our standards and expectations.
Aditya is a bad example of this. He spams. He says sexist things. He argues in favor of torture. And he gives every indication that he's smart enough to know better.

Politely chiding him for his behavior didn't change it. Not even a little. Proposing to criminalize that behavior, however, appears to be having a salutary effect.

Skizzy Grey said:
Lethen said:
Sopo said:

Aditya is a bad example of this. He spams. He says sexist things. He argues in favor of torture. And he gives every indication that he's smart enough to know better.

Politely chiding him for his behavior didn't change it. Not even a little. Proposing to criminalize that behavior, however, appears to be having a salutary effect.
I admit that I advocate torture. But when did I say sexist things? Any proof?

Aditya Republic said:
Skizzy Grey said:
Lethen said:
Sopo said:

I called you out very specifically in one thread for it. Which I probably wouldn't have done if I thought it was out of character, but I don't have time to go digging for examples.

I'm sure it was partly that your pro-torture diatribes reflect a patronizing attitude towards women; men who go overboard in demonstrations of chivalry invariably have low regard for women as actual human beings, as opposed to objects placed on pedestals.

Just overall, if you care about this community, please try to be a better citizen.

Skizzy Grey said:
Aditya Republic said:
Skizzy Grey said:
Lethen said:
Sopo said:

I called you out very specifically in one thread for it. Which I probably wouldn't have done if I thought it was out of character, but I don't have time to go digging for examples.

I'm sure it was partly that your pro-torture diatribes reflect a patronizing attitude towards women; men who go overboard in demonstrations of chivalry invariably have low regard for women as actual human beings, as opposed to objects placed on pedestals.

Just overall, if you care about this community, please try to be a better citizen.
What thread?

Skizzy Grey said:

He is a bad example now. But when he first joined, we treated him like a joke for our amusement. We did the same thing to Snowball. Hell, we probably did it to Cokeland. Regardless of what we find out about a player down the road, when we first meet them and begin those early stages of "getting to know you," we can be mean. We can be rude. And we can be cruel.

Snowball said:
Skizzy Grey said:
Aditya Republic said:
Skizzy Grey said:
Lethen said:
Sopo said:

Err...
This was a mischaracterization due to the fact that "English is first language only in school. At home, I pretty much use hindi". I, same as you, assumed what you assumed about his comment

He is a bad example now. But when he first joined, we treated him like a joke for our amusement. We did the same thing to Snowball. Hell, we probably did it to Cokeland. Regardless of what we find out about a player down the road, when we first meet them and begin those early stages of "getting to know you," we can be mean. We can be rude. And we can be cruel.
Yeah. Though only fifty percent of people did that to me. Man, I was dumb back then

Skizzy has most likely seen that reply, and doesn't buy into it.

Back