Op Ed: What's in a Name

Op Ed: What’s in a Name
The detriments of “cocooning”
Written by JayDee

Before I get to the article, I would like everyone to listen to this two minute clip from the “Ranking our Government” broadcast last week.

Europeia prides itself as a place that welcomes people from all walks of life. No matter your race, your sexual orientation, or your religion, you will almost surely be accepted here. Europeia has managed to build a culture where people of all ages can thrive and succeed as long as they have the ability and work ethic to achieve their goals. There is absolutely no doubt that Europeia is a region open to all walks of life, and that is one of its selling points.

However, Europeians have fallen into a singular inevitable trap; a trap that many people throughout the world are guilty of falling into. We have set people into their own separate categories based on our past relation with that person. This is not to say that Europeians are guilty of prejudice or a slavish devotion to stereotypes; perhaps there isn't even a term to describe it. We view people based on what we expect them to be rather than what they’ve grown into. It is a cocoon that we fit different people into. Aditya Republic is the “spammer,” Boomer is the “Okayest Senator,” Writinglegend is the “President for life.” As you can see, it’s not always bad for the individual, but many times it can be detrimental. While some people can break out of this cocoon as a beautiful butterfly, many emerge as a moth; an ugly creation condemned to a life of chasing the light only to be consumed by the flames when they finally get there.

People such as Writinglegend are a good example of people who managed to break out of this “cocoon” and have a very successful career. Writinglegend started out as a spammer who posted a bunch of spam posts on Skype and the forum. In short, no one really took him seriously. That all changed with his first term as Minister of Culture under Kraketopia, where he quickly showed himself to be a dedicated worker and talented Minister. Writinglegend managed to use his personality as a trickster to his strengths; promoting a greater feeling of community as a member of Cabinet and later President. However, individuals such as Writinglegend are not the norm. For every Writinglegend, you have a multitude of individuals who are trying to break free to create a successful career.

People such as Vlaska have shown clear growth since joining the region, yet struggle to break through the cocoon we have placed them into. Vlaska for his part has been a positive contributor to the Law Clerk program and was a positive influence on the Saxonian Parliament as Speaker when the States Program was still alive. Despite his tremendous growth as an individual, many of us still see Vlaska as the same person who first joined many months ago. We review him based on who he used to be rather than who he’s become. The same goes for Comrade Snowball, whose platform has gone from a promise to “bring Europeia into the 21st century” into a nuanced platform detailing his opinion on legislation currently being debated.

Many people in the beginning struggle to understand how Europeia works, because of this they may come across as trolls or helpless noobs who will never amount to anything. The temptation to ignore these people is a strong one; after all, there are plenty of other newcomers who show promise right now. We cannot afford to be concerned about right now though, we have to worry about our future too. Like it or not, these people are our future.

”A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members”-Pope John Paul II​

To me, the premise behind this article is flawed, and the case presented doesn't do much to convince me to change my mind. All the examples used to support your point are reputations that I think are well earned. Aditya is a spammer, that is a fact. He has contributed very little to the region outside of that, and that's the reputation he has earned. Kaboom is, all things considered, a very average Senator. His terms frequently earn middling reviews, and there's not much legislative achievements that can be pointed to during his legislative career. Writinglegend is the most elected President in Europeian history, and for good reason. He is a highly capable leader who has proven himself over the course of several years of service.

The transformations you cite in this article are equally not impressive. Writinglegend will often say that his reputation as a new citizen was that of a spammer, and that nobody took him seriously, and I may have said that in a speech or two, but that was more for dramatic effect than an actual analysis of WL's character. Anyone who was around when WL was starting out knew he was more than a spammer. He took the time to improve himself in the Citizens' Assembly, his newspaper, and the Ministry of Culture. In fact, he proved himself so well, he was appointed to be Minister during the first Presidential term he was around for.

Similarly, the transformations of Vlaska and Snowball are simply not as grand as you make them out to be. Has Snowball come a long way from his WAD campaign? Absolutely. Has Snowball proven himself as somebody who understands legislation enough and has taken the time to improve his knowledge through work in the CA? No. Vlaska is a slightly different case. He is a better candidate than he was when he first ran for Chair, but has not taken much time to improve his skills through public practice or debate as far as I can tell. The evidence you cite is mostly blocked from public view, so it not entirely clear what progress has been made. However, the fact that he came so close to getting elected to the Senate this time means that he is on a upward trajectory, and has a very good shot of getting elected next time around if he keeps improving and showing what he's been working towards in the CA.

And though this wasn't mentioned in the article, I feel it's also important to address your case, JayDee, since you will likely bring it up as a rebuttal. You went through an image overhaul, then got a bunch of positions. However, that is correlation without causation. Before you made that post in the Grand Hall, you had already made a bunch of steps to improve yourself and your skills, to the point where you definitely were ready for more responsibility, as evidenced by hyanygo vouching for you so publicly and frequently. Did he do that because you changed your avatar? No, he did that because you were a great student of his who put in the work. Thus, as soon as possible, you were nominated for the Minister position and the Justice position

Good things come to those who work for it in Europeia, and this belief that we pigeonhole people forever into a reputation that they do not deserve is baseless and harmful to our citizenry. You get what you give in this region, I truly believe that.

I think Vlaska is ready for prime time — either the Senate or the High Court.

I concur with Calvin’s assessments of the others.

I would like to thank Jay Dee and Skizzy for their kind words.

It's kind of hard, for me, to see Vlaska in a different light after having seen his WA proposal that wanted to ban same-sex couples from adopting children because they would turn the children gay. Perhaps he has changed since then, it's just difficult for me to see that.

Calvin-
By defining those people, we are limiting their oppurtunity to be beneficial.

Snowball said:
Calvin-
But that's the thing: we don't define them. People define themselves, by their actions.

I largely agree with Calvin. If you have a reputation you don't like, accept it and overcome it.

Brunhilde said:
It's kind of hard, for me, to see Vlaska in a different light after having seen his WA proposal that wanted to ban same-sex couples from adopting children because they would turn the children gay. Perhaps he has changed since then, it's just difficult for me to see that.
I apologized for my unfounded beliefs back then and i will appologize again. I think i have grown since then and am truly sorry for any insulting behaviour and statements i made back then. As for Calvin's remarks i agree that my activity in the CA was on and off lately and intend to fix that.

Calvin Coolidge said:
Snowball said:
Calvin-
But that's the thing: we don't define them. People define themselves, by their actions.
when I define myself as hopeless and incompetent, no one believes me flail.gif

actions are worth a thousand words and all that, a reputation is formed by actions; you don't get a reputation as a legislator by thinking about it, you get it by legislating, you aren't a great culture member just by being in culture, you become one because you push and shove and drive culture, the same goes for most roles in the region. I know it's far easier said that done, but find your niche and hammer yourself in firmly. if people think you're a spammer, check your post tendency, obviously we're all human ('cept maybe r3n) and may not see a persons contributions elsewhere, but if your presence is significantly involved in spam or such people will see you as that kind of player, admittedly some members can be overly harsh at times or less willing to accept growth or change has happened, but if you're putting in the time and effort it will affect how people see your contributions.

Cpt.Carrot said:
Calvin Coolidge said:
Snowball said:
Calvin-
when I define myself as hopeless and incompetent, no one believes me flail.gif .
I believe you :wub:

Malashaan said:
Cpt.Carrot said:
Calvin Coolidge said:
Snowball said:
Calvin-
when I define myself as hopeless and incompetent, no one believes me flail.gif .
I believe you :wub:
:wub: :wub: :wub: finally faith in my inabilities! hyper.gif

i agree with what Calvin said BUT....
I have improved. it has been at least 3 weeks in a row since i stopped spamming. also, i have joined some ministries to contribute to europeia

You have improved a bit, yes. But not enough to overcome the reputation.

Back