Op Ed: Effects of Executive Level Resignations on Europeia

Opinion: Effects of Executive Level Resignations on Europeia
An Analysis of Our Regions Executive Government Turnover Rate Over the Past Year
Written by Vac

Continuity. We as Europeians pride ourselves on this. The continuance of government, something that every government strives for. You see it to the extreme in the United States government with the hundreds of millions, or even billions of dollars spent on squirreling away redundancies of files, hiding a secretary during the State of the Union address, and the millions spent on bunkers for government officials to hide during times of war on the homefront. Admittedly we don’t see this level of preparedness anywhere on NationStates due to the lack of necessity. Most governments on NationStates miss this mark, and sink into the rough waves of nothingness, a footnote in history. Europeia, however, obviously has not experienced these misfortunes with over a decade of continuous governance, never being infected by the virus of inactivity that infects to many regions. Part of what has ensured this has been having a lower than usual turnover rate in our executive, and that is a huge part of a region’s success. The stability of knowing that a government in place won’t fall apart or undergo significant change in staffing, and without undergoing radical changes in direction of policy without warning. Here in Europeia we are seeing the first of the two start to take shape.

Over the course of recent Europeian history, we have seen a significant lack of stability in our executive branch. Since July of 2016 we have had seven Presidents, three of which have resigned, Trinnien, Calvin, and our most recent one, Cat. Our government has been rocked by significant scandal, with both Cat and Trinnien showing a lack of discrepancy in who shares classified information with whom. Below the President are nine members of his or her cabinet. That brings us to a theoretical total of sixty three members of cabinet if we are to assume everyone were to serve their full seventy day term. However, an investigation done by Aexnideral Seymour revealed that there have been a total fifteen cabinet resignations since July of two thousand and sixteen, a 24% turnover rate! With several cabinet ministers being especially susceptible to resignation, World Assembly(WA) Ministers, Attorney General’s, and our Radio Ministers, with three of each resigning over the course of our sample. Do note that I am not counting the current Writing Legend Presidency due to the fact that it is still going on.

Now what does all of that mean? What am I driving at? Yet another investigation by Aex has revealed that since the Presidential election in April of this year, we have seen what is frankly a severe downtick in voter turnout. In April there were ninety votes cast, in July there were eighty five votes cast, and finally in September there was an abysmal fifty nine votes cast.

What this shows, in my opinion, is that our lack of stability in the government of our region over the last seven governments, has started to promote an atmosphere of apathy among voters. While we are admittedly in the beginning stages of this unfortunate development, we are no doubt beginning the process, as noted by Aexnideral Seymour during his most recent appearance on EBC Radio. This is a trend that has to be halted, and fast before the strangleholds of voter apathy begin to start having severe negative effects on the region. While sudden changes in a government members real life are out of any of our control, recently there have been situations resulting in government instability, no matter how temporary, that are well within the realm of NationStates. With both Cat and Trinnien showing a lack of discrepancy in who gets what information, particularly outside of the borders of Europeia and with people who either did, or possibly meant ill intent for the region. I however believe in the people of Europeia to right the course before it gets past the point of no return.

OnderKelkia said:
There has never been a more serious threat to this republic than Falconias. Let us not mince words. He crippled Europeia before our eyes.

When someone betrays a region like that, they should never be received warmly again. They chose to be an Enemy - not an opponent, a straightforward, unequivocal capital-E Enemy in gameplay terms - and they should be treated like an Enemy. The effect of tolerating such people again would be to reduce the deterrent against similar behaviour in the future. We can be friendly with such people outside of the game, but gameplay ought to be kept off limits.
Very well said, Onder.

Calvin Coolidge said:
JayDee said:
If it was a court ban or administrative ban, that I would understand. This, as you have pointed out, is a self imposed ban. Trinnien is not a criminal, he has simply chosen to go through a sort of rehabilitation process before coming back to Europeia. If that is wrong, I do apologize, but comparing Trinnien to Falconias is a terrible insult to the person who served this region in good faith for nearly 2 years.
Let's be clear about something, though. Trinn's actions very likely could have led to a ban as a punishment, had things been escalated further. This isn't some ban he took to take some time off just for the fun of it, and in my mind this ban should be treated as a punishment imposed by the community, even if he technically left of his own accord.

EDIT: Changed what ban he could be subject to.
Except that all we have is people saying that, not it actually happening.

Kylia Quilor said:
Calvin Coolidge said:
JayDee said:
If it was a court ban or administrative ban, that I would understand. This, as you have pointed out, is a self imposed ban. Trinnien is not a criminal, he has simply chosen to go through a sort of rehabilitation process before coming back to Europeia. If that is wrong, I do apologize, but comparing Trinnien to Falconias is a terrible insult to the person who served this region in good faith for nearly 2 years.
Let's be clear about something, though. Trinn's actions very likely could have led to a ban as a punishment, had things been escalated further. This isn't some ban he took to take some time off just for the fun of it, and in my mind this ban should be treated as a punishment imposed by the community, even if he technically left of his own accord.

EDIT: Changed what ban he could be subject to.
Except that all we have is people saying that, not it actually happening.
^This. I understand the reasons for *not* taking Trinnien to court, but he was charged in the court of public opinion. In the absence of evidence, his prosecutors left him dangling in the wind while taking no initiative themselves to address the concerns of the public or stop accusations from making that slippery-slope transition into facts, in the minds of many.

Trinnien screwed up inadvertently and accidentally, from my understanding of the details. Rather than address it even in veiled terms (since we couldn't release the evidence for security reasons), those in the know from that Administration instead said nothing while ill-informed public opinion destroyed Trinn's credibility and career here.

Do I think he made mistakes? Yes. Should he have been punished? Yes. Do I think he did things with malicious and treasonous intent? Of course not. Do I think his self-imposed ban was a poor decision on his part? Considering the situation his actions and the inaction of others put him in, no. I understand why he did it.

^This. I understand the reasons for *not* taking Trinnien to court, but he was charged in the court of public opinion.

In fairness, while that may be true it's not entirely accurate. Trinnien, himself, made the public post about it (thus "bringing it to the court of public opinion"). Understandably, I suppose, especially since that was the specific catalyst that lost him what he thought was a Cabinet position, so feeling additionally slighted probably didn't help diffuse the situation or allow clearer minds to prevail.

In the absence of evidence, his prosecutors left him dangling in the wind while taking no initiative themselves to address the concerns of the public or stop accusations from making that slippery-slope transition into facts, in the minds of many. ... Rather than address it even in veiled terms (since we couldn't release the evidence for security reasons), those in the know from that Administration instead said nothing while ill-informed public opinion destroyed Trinn's credibility and career here.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, I don't think that is entirely accurate. The EIA released a statement signed by numerous public officials, including HEM and Malashaan detailing information and reasoning inasmuch as they could. In addition, two Sessions ago, the then-Speaker appointed a temporary Committee to investigate some of the details during NES' reconfirmation hearing, specifically, I assume, to ascertain any wrongdoing. Drexlore published his findings.

Otherwise, I don't think it was an accident, but I don't think Trinn is a bad person, either. He's definitely not comparable to Falconias. Though, one of my concerns with the self-imposed punishment was that, essentially, it made the issue into a cloud of nothing almost overnight and likely by the time he comes back, the statute of limitations for anything that happened will have rolled by.

Why would the statute of limitations even matter? My understanding is that he couldn't be taken to court anyway due to the nature of the information.

My biggest problem with the whole situation is that it's impossible to resolve. "Innocent until proven guilty" except enough people say he's guilty that we just go with it. I understand why it's the way it is, but I'm still not happy about it.

*shrug*

Why would the statute of limitations even matter? My understanding is that he couldn't be taken to court anyway due to the nature of the information.

That's definitely not inaccurate-- the Court can waive them, but that depends on a number of circumstances, obviously.

Read the rest of your post, no reason to rebut. You made some good points that I overlooked.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, I don't think that is entirely accurate. The EIA released a statement signed by numerous public officials, including HEM and Malashaan detailing information and reasoning inasmuch as they could.
The EIA did release a statement, but there was a notable silence from both yourself and Calvin as outgoing and incoming Presidents during this all happening. If I recall correctly, at the time many saw the EIA statement as a statement specifically from that organization and not one released by either Administration, and there were many people stating as much (and asking for you two to weigh in though more people wanted to hear from Calvin than you). I'd have to trawl through the threads. We shouldn't be rehashing this all though; I'll drop it.

I'm largely in the same camp as Sopo. Many people are saying "This is how it is" and there's no way to really put that to the test in the High Court.

I'm willing to accept he did something wrong, but its hard to know how wrong or why without more details. I don't think it was fair for the region to be so hostile to him when he returned from his original LoA when people didn't have any real evidence to support the notions.

I mean, I'm probably biased because I like Trinn, so I'm partial to giving him the benefit of the doubt in an information vaccuum.

But without a trial, we have no way of knowing what sort of sentence he may or may not have gotten.

And he had no real opportunity to defend his actions.

Ultimately, I want closure, which I can't have, so I'll life uncomfortably with the way it went because I know that's the best it will get.

I don't have anything meaningful to add, only that I love the dedication and writing of this post; I too have a personable bias towards Trinnien though.

Back