Notice of Administrative Ban

HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
All members who join our community are entitled to privacy. This principle is encoded not only in our regional culture, but also in the Zetaboards Terms of Use & Service.

Following examination of evidence submitted to us by players from other regions, the Europeian Administrative Team has issued an indefinite administrative ban from the Europeian forum and Discord server onto Morwenna, for privacy-related concerns. This follows other administrative bans on the same player, due to similar reasons, on other NS forums.

Signed,

HEM
Lethen
Malashaan
r3naissanc3r
Mousebumples

I won't lie, this is quite shock, is there a minimum to this indefinite ban?

JayDee said:
I won't lie, this is quite shock, is there a minimum to this indefinite ban?
We have no plans to re-examine the ban in the short or medium term.

Wow. I never heard anything, but then again I'm not that plugged in. Good work on the Admin team for protecting our privacy.

This must be serious. I'm thankful we have an Admin team that acts quickly and decisively on issues of these magnitudes.

Holy crap. This is totally unexpected and the last person, outside of maybe Pyn, that I'd expect to see this levied upon.

Hopefully she's doing fine. Thanks to the admin team for handling this quickly and professionally.

Cerian Quilor said:
What did she even do?
Speaking generically as a person for a minute:

Above all else, I want people on this forum to be safe. If I feel that that safety is threatened, decisive action will be taken.

Beyond that, we have no plans to expand on the statement that has been very deliberately made.

HEM said:
Following examination of evidence submitted to us by players from other regions
Hold on. Did this individual behave inappropriately in Europeia?

Rand said:
HEM said:
He's not going to say. I must say I don't like the secrecy behind administrative bans, it could easily be abused in cases that are not justified without anyone ever knowing. I make to claims that this occurred in this case, as I know no details of it, but by allowing bans to occur in this manner we as a community open ourselves up to potential admin abuse that we would be none the wiser to.

Notolecta said:
Rand said:
HEM said:
He's not going to say. I must say I don't like the secrecy behind administrative bans, it could easily be abused in cases that are not justified without anyone ever knowing. I make to claims that this occurred in this case, as I know no details of it, but by allowing bans to occur in this manner we as a community open ourselves up to potential admin abuse that we would be none the wiser to.
I actually agree with Noto here

Notolecta said:
Rand said:
HEM said:
There have been two major administrative bans in the last year. The first ban, that of Anumia, was presented with a rather lengthy explanation that omitted exact detail but made clear the extent of the investigation's findings. In the case of every investigation, we release the amount of information we believe is appropriate. There is no "one size fits all" answer, however, the implication that there has been a succession of bans with no explanation is false.

HEM said:
Notolecta said:
Rand said:
HEM said:
There have been two major administrative bans in the last year. The first ban, that of Anumia, was presented with a rather lengthy explanation that omitted exact detail but made clear the extent of the investigation's findings. In the case of every investigation, we release the amount of information we believe is appropriate. There is no "one size fits all" answer, however, the implication that there has been a succession of bans with no explanation is false.
More bans in the last year than all time. It's starting to set a strange precedent. I certainly trust you, HEM, but I am generally wary of shadow dealings.

I'm also curious as to why this member is apparently being banned when s/he didn't actually do anything within our community (and therefore the concerns of our admin team); that seems more political than in the interest of board security. Of course, I have absolutely no information, so I could be wrong, and I intend no disrespect.

Rand said:
HEM said:
Notolecta said:
Rand said:
HEM said:
More bans in the last year than all time. It's starting to set a strange precedent. I certainly trust you, HEM, but I am generally wary of shadow dealings.

I'm also curious as to why this member is apparently being banned when s/he didn't actually do anything within our community (and therefore the concerns of our admin team); that seems more political than in the interest of board security. Of course, I have absolutely no information, so I could be wrong, and I intend no disrespect.
Speaking specifically to this case, people in our community were absolutely affected.

Speaking generally, I have spent much of the last few months trying to disempower the administrative team in many areas to make it absolutely clear what our role is — last stop community enforcers. People come to me often to make complaints, and I try to kindly redirect them to other resources. I would rather our RP courts be used a thousand times for every time we must take unilateral action. I want us to all be playing a game with clear rules and transparency.

Unfortunately, when it comes to matters of extreme harassment and the safety of our members — which has sadly been relevant in the last year — there is no time for roleplay courts, defense attorneys, and chatter from the open court gallery. In these most extreme situations, decisive action is needed. And sometimes the circumstances of those situations mean that the safest, best way forward (especially regarding matters of privacy) is less information being readily posted. I understand this is frustrating, but that's the role of the administrator.

Hem, the problem is we are expected to trust blindly the decisions of a largely insular group of admins. This year is not the first time we've had administrative bans and almost all of them have occurred without much transparency. I personally don't trust that there is proper accountability for the admin team to the community, and that means the admin team could potentially conduct abuses of their power without question. I'm not saying that has happened, but the way admin decsions are made has nearly zero transparency and no unbiased accountability.

I'm not sure about this "other regions" thing.

I went through all the forums of the GCRs, specifically their Admin Office. The only other one where any announcement was made regarding Kemi was in September 2016, where she was banned from Osiris.

Given that regions (in my experiences) tend to announce these things, it strikes me as odd.

Notolecta said:
Hem, the problem is we are expected to trust blindly the decisions of a largely insular group of admins. This year is not the first time we've had administrative bans and almost all of them have occurred without much transparency. I personally don't trust that there is proper accountability for the admin team to the community, and that means the admin team could potentially conduct abuses of their power without question. I'm not saying that has happened, but the way admin decsions are made has nearly zero transparency and no unbiased accountability.
I would like to think that you of all people would appreciate the need for discretion when it comes to administrators and handling privacy matters considering how I've worked with you personally on this sort of thing in the past here (though I don't recall if that was ever a ban or if a ban would have been necessary).

I appreciate that you guys all have a zeal for transparency, but sometimes transparency does more harm than good. Particularly in the case of RL privacy matters and protecting our community.

Besides, the administrative team isn't as insular and close-knit as some of you may think; additionally, if we really wanted to abuse our powers to ban someone, wouldn't we choose someone that none of us can stand? :emb:

EDIT: I had a comment in here that has since been removed because it was woefully inaccurate upon further review. I would expand upon that more, but I'll defer to the admin that caught my error instead.

Lethen said:
Besides, the administrative team isn't as insular and close-knit as some of you may think; additionally, if we really wanted to abuse our powers to ban someone, wouldn't we choose someone that none of us can stand? :emb:
NOTO. DO NOT GIVE THEM IDEAS. PLS.

Back