Notice of Administrative Ban from Discord

HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
Effective immediately, Cokeland D. S. S. S. is indefinitely banned from Europeia's Discord server and all Europeian-affiliated servers and off-site communications platforms that are registered under the purview of me, in my capacity as Chief Administrator.

This ban has no possibility of being reviewed, except for a self-initiated review by the administrative team ourselves at such a time we believe prudent.

We all strive to make Europeia a safe place for everyone. This means accommodating and understanding our friends who have emotional and mental illnesses that impact their ability. Sometimes this means extending a little extra understanding when someone acts out—particularly in the fast-paced atmosphere of Discord and other instant chat services.

However, this patience immediately runs out when one's actions impact the safety of a place for others. When a pattern of behavior emerges that is predatory and harassing to one of our members, there is no excuse, and there is no tolerance.

Cokeland's actions toward another player, including: rape threats, abusive language, and revealing personal information are intolerable, which is why his privilege of using our off-site communications platforms is now revoked.

/s/

HEM
Lethen

Excuse me, if I may, and I understand if this cannot be answered.

Will situations like these be, in the future, subject to the possibility of RL authorities getting involved? Of course, I am not asking in regards of this case, but if something like this happened to me, would I be able to pursue RL charges?

The AG should look into prosecuting for Threatening Conduct.

Drecq said:
I agree. I'm surprised that the admin ban did not go farther, but I'm glad action was taken in the right direction.

Constie said:
Excuse me, if I may, and I understand if this cannot be answered.

Will situations like these be, in the future, subject to the possibility of RL authorities getting involved? Of course, I am not asking in regards of this case, but if something like this happened to me, would I be able to pursue RL charges?

Without speaking to any specific case, this is always on our mind. It's important to remember though that RL law standards of legal "harassment" are different than our ToS or community standards.

Calvin Coolidge said:
Drecq said:
I agree. I'm surprised that the admin ban did not go farther, but I'm glad action was taken in the right direction.

Admin action at one time does necessarily limit possible future action at another time.

Given the circumstances of his disgusting actions, I applaud for the actions in the right direction taken by the administrative team.

I thought he was banned from here too already. But I've since realized he isn't and that this ban doesn't go far enough. I hope the President and AG do go through with legal action as indicated above though I'm of the opinion that an outright ban wouldn't be the worst thing.

Seven Deaths said:
I thought he was banned from here too already. But I've since realized he isn't and that this ban doesn't go far enough. I hope the President and AG do go through with legal action as indicated above though I'm of the opinion that an outright ban wouldn't be the worst thing.
I kind of agree with this. It seems odd that with most other similar cases there have been forum bans and no trial. It seems slightly inconsistent and I'm not sure a trial with public logs of such nature are the best idea.

Either way, it doesn't seem like Cokeland should still be allowed to hang around the forums, given the lines he's crossed...

Seven Deaths said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure an RP trial is in the best interests of all concerned. I would ask that the administration to rethink its decision to allow Cokeland to remain on these forums, and for the President and AG to defer any action until after that reconsideration is complete.

Skizzy Grey said:
Seven Deaths said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure an RP trial is in the best interests of all concerned. I would ask that the administration to rethink its decision to allow Cokeland to remain on these forums, and for the President and AG to defer any action until after that reconsideration is complete.
I think Skizzy makes a good point here. Given that this matter involves issues that go outside our jurisdiction such as harassment and doxxing, this should be handled by the admins and not the court in my opinion.

Followup:

While Cokeland today has announced his intentions to resign citizenship, he will not be immediately allowed back on his own volition. Due to his actions described in the initial post of this thread, Cokeland will be subject to an administrative ban from our forums for 6 months. This is not a revision to our original announcement, which was an administrative ban from Discord—and still stands in full. Due to the nature of the actions, there was a sense of urgency to make clear the Discord portion of the ruling before considering the question of a forum ban, which required a bit more discussion.

To be clear, this was not the ideal procedure. In an ideal situation, a full "verdict" (I put this in quotes, because the administrative team is not a court) would be announced in full, at one time, for ease of communication. We do not seek to generate speculation of possible addenda to rulings, or worse still, create opportunities for the "lobbying" of certain sanctions to be imposed. This situation was fairly unordinary for the administrative team as there was a more pressing time component than in previous situations. We are looking to refine our process and improve going forward.

As always, this case remains open to the extent that there may be additional, relevant information out there. Please feel free to come forward with any such information that you have.

/s/

HEM
Lethen
r3naissanc3r

Back