Nothing New Under The Sun

Oliver

The following is an opinion/editorial piece.

As I peruse (a commonly misunderstood, actually meaning "examine in great depth") the two campaign messages sitting before me, I am rather forcefully reminded that there is nothing new under the sun. Much in the way that the ancient Greeks invented everything first (except when the ancient Chinese did), the Presidential campaign messages smack of "lather, rinse, repeat" more than they smack of "eureka!"

Perhaps this is a strength. Ogastein and McEntire seem to think so. "Europeia does not need a revolution, we need a rejuvenation"; Ogastein's closing comments include. In Foreign Affairs, he offers fluidity, which is perhaps a kind of strength. He offers more for Ambassadors to do in their host regions, like weekly updates (an idea I know I've seen before, if not suggested), and more entertaining updates (an idea carried out to great effect by the great Skizzy Grey).

There is little in the campaign of note, apart from the assertion (constantly repeated) that the status quo will not be acceptable. It says we must surge into greatness, but gives no indication of what greatness means; another all-too-common Europeian vice.

Swakistek and Abbey Anumia, on the other hand, ask "Why?" Why do we do what we do? Beyond this, the campaign is safe, and it's all things I've heard before. When I hear that, "We're going to work out exactly what we want from our foreign policy, and then we're going to use all available channels to achieve that," I find myself much more interested in exactly what Swakistek and Abbey want from their foreign policy, and then we can use that decide whether we want them; or not.

The rest of the campaign remains eerily familiar. I've seen similar suggestions about the World Assembly in the past. I've given similar suggestions for Interior. The suggestions for Welfare are little more than common sense, and the suggestions for Culture are as mind-bogglingly varied as I'm sure working in the ministry itself is. In fairness, though, this campaign does inspire me to ask why.

Why is it that in the past two years of Presidential elections, and I count myself among them, I am not innocent, why is it that there is nothing new under the sun?

It says we must surge into greatness, but gives no indication of what greatness means; another all-too-common Europeian vice.
The surge to greatness was mentioned in my platform albeit not explicitly stated. "It has been proven time and time again that anything is possible in this region; everyone can shine with a bit of nurturing. I want to see the region back on its feet so everyone in Europeia can shine and become the best citizens they can be." Basically, when our citizens succeed individually, the region as a whole succeeds. Additionally, I don't think Europeia needs something necessarily new, we need to do the basics successfully first. As someone who has proven that they can turn a ministry around using the basics, I think I'm the best candidate, but I digress. If I believed our region needed new ideas right now I would have presented new ideas. Our region needs to rid the foundation of cracks first before we can move towards presenting new ideas.

It says we must surge into greatness, but gives no indication of what greatness means; another all-too-common Europeian vice.
The surge to greatness was mentioned in my platform albeit not explicitly stated. "It has been proven time and time again that anything is possible in this region; everyone can shine with a bit of nurturing. I want to see the region back on its feet so everyone in Europeia can shine and become the best citizens they can be." Basically, when our citizens succeed individually, the region as a whole succeeds. Additionally, I don't think Europeia needs something necessarily new, we need to do the basics successfully first. As someone who has proven that they can turn a ministry around using the basics, I think I'm the best candidate, but I digress. If I believed our region needed new ideas right now I would have presented new ideas. Our region needs to rid the foundation of cracks first before we can move towards presenting new ideas.
It's interesting that you'd quote that, and then entirely miss the point about not giving any indication of what greatness means. At least Swak and Abbey are asking why, even if they're failing to answer the question.

Our campaign was intended to take a fresh look at how we work in the region by looking at exactly why we do all of this work, and then look at whether there's a better way to do the work or a better way to achieve what we actually want to achieve. We tried to go into that and suggest what we could do differently to that end in our platform, but if you still have any questions, or indeed, anyone has any questions for us, Ollie, we'd more than welcome your input. :)

Our campaign was intended to take a fresh look at how we work in the region by looking at exactly why we do all of this work, and then look at whether there's a better way to do the work or a better way to achieve what we actually want to achieve. We tried to go into that and suggest what we could do differently to that end in our platform, but if you still have any questions, or indeed, anyone has any questions for us, Ollie, we'd more than welcome your input. :)
I feel like this is just saying, "We will study what we are doing now, and decide if anything needs to be changed via a set of 23 day plans."

Where's the vision?

Perhaps we are seeing the same old rehashed ideas because many of them *never* came to fruition, and there is no solid indicator that they would *not* be savior programs.

Unless the candidates are suggesting economies. Oh, fuck them, knowing full-well how much that idea would fail.

Perhaps we are seeing the same old rehashed ideas because many of them *never* came to fruition, and there is no solid indicator that they would *not* be savior programs.
Not a bad point, Leth. If candidates want to shout words like change and hope and new, though, they're going to be called on it I would expect.

Back