My Thoughts on the Kodiak "Republic"

As many of you know, I was part of the deposed government that was overthrown in Kodiak. Today, i'm going to say what my thoughts on the whole situation is.

I came to Kodiak in August of 2008, two weeks after it was founded. I was just 4 days shy of being thirteen when I came. Previously, I had been in TLK, right at it's peak, but it was beginning to decline shortly after I arrived. After I was in Europe for 2 weeks, lacking net access, everyone seemed to be going to Kodiak, and after being bullied in TLK, I went there.

Kodiak has been dominated by a group of 3 for the time since it's founding until very recently. These people are, or were Nedinud, the RL girlfriend of Rykkland, Rykkland, the founder, and the Graz. These three were career politicians, one of them always occupying the top office, or a government position. This made the entire region incredibly reliant on them, and Seymour and myself would frequently criticize this oligarchy. Whoever they backed for office would win, so it was an uphill battle.

This year, Nedinud and Rykk got very inactive, for RL reasons(Nedinud left the game, I believe), and the Graz left, for RL reasons. I became Chancellor after this, but left as I saw the region was falling into inactivity. That's why I'm here today.

These 3 had written all the constitutions, except the last one that Rykk decided to throw out, because as Sey and myself can tell you, Rykk i'm sure was itching to get back into power. However, unlike previous situations, the tables had turned toward Sey and I, politically. More so Sey.

In recent weeks, we made a new constitution, and were trying to make a recruitment system, or acquire one. Sey had legally became President, after Gideon Carter resigned. He brought in Onder, JGlenn, NES, and a few other people for the cabinet. I was appointed Minister of Interior of this new government, and was confirmed by The Senate, as is required by law in Kodiak.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, Rykkland asked for emergency powers, using the justification he cared more about the region, etc. We told him to make a referendum, since after all it's a democracy, and supposedly Rykk is for democracy.

Then, earlier this week, Sey messaged me via Facebook, telling me about Rykk conducting a coup in Kodiak. He removed our masks, as Minister, and President respectively. He then threw out the constitution that was passed by a 3-1 margin in The Senate, since we didn't even have a full Senate, and a 7-3 margin in the General Assembly.

So me and Sey left. In reality we left when we saw the region was dead, but we gave it our best shot in recent weeks. What does this say about Rykk? It finally reveals his true nature, which is he's a hypocrite. He fought for democracy, and founded Kodiak under the auspices of "democracy", but he assumed that democracy would always be in favor of this "Old Guard" oligarchy, which he was part of, as well as Graz, and Nedi, with several other members who were less important. But it didn't, and so he became what he fought. It's a sad day, but one I saw coming. I applaud the decision to cut off relations with Kodiak, because it is necessary. It was my home region, and i'm sad to see it go, but nothing lasts forever.

Please start your own private media outlet for this kind of thing. The EBC isn't the place for it.

Vinage asked me to publish my thoughts about the matter in the EBC, since I handle journalism. Talk to him, not me, I was just following orders. I said our names, mainly because we were a political bloc, who was in charge at the time, if that makes sense.

Ok, I'd like to set the record straight, at least in my eyes.

1. It sucks what happened, I don't disagree with the new government, but just the way it came about sucks. I've been saying from the beginning that if this had been done Democratically, there would be no issue.

2. There is a lot of talk going on there that things were not legitimate in government, however, with the New Constitution, every one in government there was no breaking the law. I've been accused of not meeting the legal requirements to be a Minister, but at the time, there were no legal requirements.

3. I just want this to go away. I entered TKR to start spreading my wings in the NS world, and now this whole thing is being blown up.

4. I stand behind the cancellation of the TKR-Europeia treaty, but only because of the new government didn't come via a Democratic way. Maybe in the future we can smooth over the relationship.

Ok, I'd like to set the record straight, at least in my eyes.

1. It sucks what happened, I don't disagree with the new government, but just the way it came about sucks. I've been saying from the beginning that if this had been done Democratically, there would be no issue.

2. There is a lot of talk going on there that things were not legitimate in government, however, with the New Constitution, every one in government there was no breaking the law. I've been accused of not meeting the legal requirements to be a Minister, but at the time, there were no legal requirements.

3. I just want this to go away. I entered TKR to start spreading my wings in the NS world, and now this whole thing is being blown up.

4. I stand behind the cancellation of the TKR-Europeia treaty, but only because of the new government didn't come via a Democratic way. Maybe in the future we can smooth over the relationship.

I don't share your optimism on #4. Beyond the dust-up that was the proximate cause of the current rift, Euro-Kodiak relations fell into disrepair some time ago.

The person in Kodiak who most prominently championed close relations with Europeia was the Graz. When Graz retired from NS in August, we lost our most influential champion there. Even prior to that, some in Kodiak were unhappy with our decision not to intervene in a high-profile dispute with TNI that led to the rescission of a long-standing treaty between those two regions. I was President at the time and stand by how we handled that situation, but I know some of Kodiak's more prominent defender-oriented citizens weren't happy.

Engaging with other highly active regions is an important part of an assertive foreign policy. Sometimes, new engagements or deepening of existing ties doesn't work out as hoped; that's no reason not to continue to pursue good opportunities when they arise.

Well, this is an interesting article. I can't help but draw comparisons and major contrasts. Was this "Old Guard" oligarchy officially codified into law, or more informal?

Well, this is an interesting article. I can't help but draw comparisons and major contrasts. Was this "Old Guard" oligarchy officially codified into law, or more informal?
More informal, although laws were used to promote this good ole boy system.

And when I became President, I immediately banned them all! :evil: :rolleyes:

More informal, although laws were used to promote this good ole boy system.
Very interesting. We of course had an Old Guard system in place here for the longest time, and used our influence to manipulate regional happenings, but I think where we differed from TKR's Old Guard is in how we approached what was good. Our good focused more on what was good for the region and less for ourselves; unlike TKR's situation, when the tidal shift occured and it became clear that the Old Guard would be less and less tolerated for meddling, we backed down. Had HEM not anticipated and acted correctly, we may have had this same conversation about Europeia's breakdown.

Back