My Job as World Assembly Delegate

Recently, The Dark Star Republic stated on the NS Forum regarding the failure of Ban of Perfidy in Warfare, and suggested to the author of this resolution

There is one possible option available to you: kiss a metric buttload of Europeian ass. Do that, and you might get traction on your proposals.

So, as World Assembly Delegate, what do I do to maximize Europeia’s voice in the World Assembly?

If you have, or have had, a WA nation in Europeia, you have probably been endorsed by me and have been asked to endorse me back. I expect that you also would probably have endorsed me – thanks for your support! In terms of NS game mechanics, the delegate is the WA member nation in the region with most endorsements; the delegate must therefore hold as many endorsements as possible.

Why is this important? It is because the game mechanics of NS, as far as World Assembly votes are concerned, has a special effect for delegates. The number of votes that the delegate holds is equal to the number of endorsements, plus one. These votes can therefore be equated to regional WA power. This is especially true when we use these votes early on during the voting period for resolutions. Many people vote based on which side is winning on the vote tally; therefore, by voting early and having those votes seen on the tally board, we can persuade other individual voters and some smaller delegacies to vote on our side. I shall also point out that many members of our non-forum community vote based on how I vote. This has, as my opening quote mentioned, led to recognition of our power within the World Assembly.

My main job is therefore to vote in accordance with the standards set by World Assembly Act.
(9) The World Assembly Delegate shall exercise his vote in matters of the General Assembly such as to reflect the views of the Europeian citizenry as made known to him.

(10) The World Assembly Delegate shall exercise his vote in matters of the Security Council such as to reflect the directive of the President, or if there is no such directive, to reflect the views of the Europeian citizenry as made known to him.

This is why I post every resolution that’s coming up that looks like it’ll make it to vote in the Department of World Assembly Affairs. The vote there both allows Europeians to discuss it amongst each other, and also determines how I vote most of the time. Citizens are strongly encouraged to weigh in on the poll; others are also welcome to weigh in, although they do not have voting privileges.

For Security Council votes, I often also alert the President and others involved in foreign affairs to key votes that may affect Europeia or her allies, or concern topics on which Europeia needs to take a firm stance. As mentioned in section 10, the president is able to override the public poll – which he typically does when a vote is critical to Europeia’s foreign interests.1

In order that our votes are as influential as possible, I believe it is my responsibility to vote as early as possible. This is why the Europeian poll starts typically a day or two before the vote itself. Furthermore, while I will change my vote if the direction of the poll changes after I’ve applied my vote, it is much less effective for me to change my vote after-the-fact when the gap in the NS-wide vote is already a thousand or more apart; our votes will be less effective at closing that gap at that time, since many others will vote simply based on who’s winning. This has led to some recognition of our power in the GA, as mentioned in that quote above – there are several delegates, most notably the feeders and 10KI, who have more votes than us; however, we are able to maximize our voice in NS as we often form a significant portion of the initial vote count, if we vote in the first hour or so.

As delegate, I also have the power to approve resolutions; resolutions require around 80 (depending on the number of delegates there are across NS) approvals before they will be put to a vote. I will discuss this in a future article.

1 Europeians typically vote in a manner that reflects her overall foreign affairs policies, and hence this power has historically been used sparingly. The one occasion I recall (May 2012) was during Skizzy Grey's tenure as president and when Vinage was delegate. That was definitely a unique case though, where the vote clearly didn't reflect what was appropriate for Europeia's foreign affairs interest after the region targeted for liberation was liberated by various military forces (led by LKE with ERN support) while the resolution in question was at-vote, after most Europeians have already voted based on the theory that the resolution was needed to undo the password.

Very good read. I think I can speak for the rest of the region when I say thank you for all the work you do for Europeia.

Back