If specified, this will replace the title that dis
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
Opinion - "Modern Senate Act Increases Participation and Incentivizes Quality"
Written by Sopo
Opinion Editor

Yesterday, Senator Common-Sense Politics proposed the Modern Senate Act (2015) on the floor of the Senate. The Senator argued that the MSA would "both increase the quality and diversity of the Senate as well as serve to bolster activity." I agree with the Senator's assessment of his proposal and would like to further explain why the MSA is the most practical way to reform the Senate at this juncture.

Back during the summer, Europeia held a Constitutional Convention which discussed a number of reform proposals for the legislature, none of which gained much traction in the Citizens' Assembly or the Senate. At the time, I proposed my own idea for a grand reform in the legislature, which would have made the Senate and CA two houses in a bicameral system. Although the proposal received an admirable amount of constructive feedback and generated discussion, the CA ultimately rejected a similar plan on its own floor. I admit that the proposal may have been too ambitious. Prominent CA members at the time argued that it would strip the CA of its "purpose" as a training body. I understand that there is little or no will to incorporate the CA into the enshrined legislature, and I now agree with the critics that the proposal may have been unsustainable and could have had unexpected repercussions for the CA. All the same, many Europeians eagerly engaged with the idea of legislative reform, which is more than could be said of most past attempts. Now we need a reform that truly accomplishes what we have an appetite for; that is, a reform that increases newcomer/citizen involvement in the legislature and increases the quality and efficiency of the Senate. I believe that the MSA is that reform.

Already, CSP's proposal has received some criticism from his fellow Senators and from some Assembly members. For the most part, this could be a knee-jerk reaction. I am unsure if some of the Senators who commented actually read the proposal in its entirety, or if they just conveniently passed over CSP's request to "help me make it the best it can be before we move on to deciding whether or not you support the concept overall." Nonetheless, I hope to engage the larger criticisms here and flesh out some of the positives of the proposal as written.

-The objective of this measure is to allow for two Senate elections, one in which the full Senate is elected together where one half is granted a full 70 day term (top vote getters) and the remainder to a 35 day half term; and another where the offices made vacant after the 35 term are filled for the remaining 35 days at which time the process repeats itself.

-Why do I want to implement this scheme? We occupy a time in history where there is, more than ever, diversity in the type of citizens who seek a seat in our Senate. In my view, the Senate term as currently constituted (one size fits all) does not represent a system that maximizes citizen participation in elected government or then by extension, a legislature that maximizes its potential effectiveness.

-By creating two term lengths, we accomplish multiple goals I think we all can agree have their merits. Different kinds of citizens have an easier time getting elected to the Senate. This will serve newer citizens, returning citizens, citizens who have great ideas but can't/won't commit to a full 70 day term. We also increase the profile of Senate elections and the Senate itself by increasing the frequency of election. I think this will both increase the quality and diversity of the Senate as well as serve to bolster activity.

For ease of access, I have provided CSP's objectives above. To summarize, they are: 1) split the Senate into two groups, a group of 70-day term Senators and 35-day term Senators; 2) maximize participation in the Senate and Senate effectiveness; and 3) allow citizens to seek election to the Senate more often and allow citizens with less than 70 days to contribute to the Senate the opportunity to seek the office nonetheless.

The main objections from within the Senate and from the CA seem to indicate that the division of the Senate into two groups will somehow make the group with 35-day terms lesser Senators. Multiple people have pointed out that in the last election, Drecq would have been one of these "lesser Senators." To imply that Drecq would be looked down on in the Senate is ridiculous. Drecq is one of our most established and brilliant legislators, and it is incredibly unlikely that he would be taken any less seriously as a Senator because of the length of his term or because he received less votes. He would still be one of the brightest minds of the Senate and treated as such. The same goes for any first term Senator with a good head on their shoulders. Senators are considered better or worse because of their performance and their contributions, and there's no reason to believe it would be any different under this new system.

I believe that CSP has done a good job addressing most of the secondary concerns, so I will instead take this opportunity to mention a few other highlights that have thus far been overlooked. The first is that the MSA system would compel even the established, experienced Senators to campaign hard and work hard. One trend I dislike in Europeia is that well-regarded Senators often forgo a platform during elections or fail to put any significant thought into a platform if they do post one. Since Senators will be divided into two tiers under this system, experienced Senators will be more likely to go the extra mile in campaigning not only so they win, but also so they don't have to run again in 35 days. The same applies to their work throughout the term. Because of tougher competition for full term seats, all Senators will need to work harder in the Senate to get as many votes as possible. Coasting will be a much less appealing option.

The second is that more opportunities to run for Senate means that more people will be able to contribute more often. Yes, CSP highlighted the advantages of more frequent elections, but I want to emphasize that point even further. More elections mean additional opportunities to build platforms, to propose ideas, and to discuss legislation as a region. They also mean that newcomers will be able to jump in sooner after joining. Plus, the added benefit of seeking a 35 day term will allow citizens with a more limited time frame to seek election (I do realize however that running at mid-terms means one could be elected to either length term, but the option is available at general elections when only 35-day seats would be elected).

Finally, I want to stress the benefits for newcomers. The MSA does not confine newcomers to 35-day terms. After all, in the last election NK would have been elected to a 70-day term on her first Senate run. A newcomer with a quality platform, strong activity, and experience in the CA or otherwise would be just as capable of winning a full 70-day term as a more experienced Senator, as the Drecq/NK example shows. At general (Presidential) elections, when only 35-day terms are up for election, the electorate may be even more likely to take a risk on an unestablished newcomer, given the shortened term length. The MSA is an encouraging development for newer members, providing more opportunities for and increased likelihood of election.

The system that we have developed over the years works well, but it could work better. As we seek new ways to better incorporate newcomers into the region, we need to be looking at the Senate and its relationship to the general populace. The Modern Senate Act will provide new and ample opportunities to newcomers to seek election to the Senate, and it will discourage complacency among more established Senators in regard to their legislative work and their campaigning. All in all, the MSA is exactly the kind of reform that Europeia needs right now: pointed, simple, and effective. I fully endorse the MSA and hope all Europeians give it the consideration it deserves.

I haven't really taken an interest in the discussions around the MSA (been really busy this week), but if this article is to be believed, then this is a great idea and something we should definitely implement.

My brain for some reason read the title as "Modern Sin Increases Participation and Incentivizes Quality" and I was really excited for a second.

Senators are considered better or worse because of their performance and their contributions, and there's no reason to believe it would be any different under this new system.
This is not really true of the system proposed under this bill. Let's say that I'm a less-known member and I win election to the Senate, but I'm in the lesser tier. Then, when I'm in office, I kick some serious ass. When the mid-term election rolls around, literally everyone votes for me and agrees that I did an amazing job. Then I still have to run in another 35 days again. There's no incentive for these Senators because they can't escape the cycle of 35-day terms except once every 70 days. One bad election dooms you to have to deal with two election cycles in two months.

But man, if you guys can talk the region into this one, I'll be pretty impressed.

McEntire said:
Senators are considered better or worse because of their performance and their contributions, and there's no reason to believe it would be any different under this new system.
This is not really true of the system proposed under this bill. Let's say that I'm a less-known member and I win election to the Senate, but I'm in the lesser tier. Then, when I'm in office, I kick some serious ass. When the mid-term election rolls around, literally everyone votes for me and agrees that I did an amazing job. Then I still have to run in another 35 days again. There's no incentive for these Senators because they can't escape the cycle of 35-day terms except once every 70 days. One bad election dooms you to have to deal with two election cycles in two months.

But man, if you guys can talk the region into this one, I'll be pretty impressed.
I don't really see how that's particularly terrible, or even really a bad thing. The Senator in this scenario would have done good work, won a re-election bid handily, and would be well-positioned to win a 70-day term in the next midterm Senate election.

Thanks for writing this, Sopo. I think it's a great assessment of what I'm trying to accomplish with the MSA. It's refreshing to get some thoughtful feedback.

I also want to thank you for writing this, Sopo, and I'd like to engage the ideas in the piece again in a more thoughtful way that will hopefully be found refreshing by the author of the bill.
The main objections from within the Senate and from the CA seem to indicate that the division of the Senate into two groups will somehow make the group with 35-day terms lesser Senators. Multiple people have pointed out that in the last election, Drecq would have been one of these "lesser Senators." To imply that Drecq would be looked down on in the Senate is ridiculous. Drecq is one of our most established and brilliant legislators, and it is incredibly unlikely that he would be taken any less seriously as a Senator because of the length of his term or because he received less votes. He would still be one of the brightest minds of the Senate and treated as such. The same goes for any first term Senator with a good head on their shoulders. Senators are considered better or worse because of their performance and their contributions, and there's no reason to believe it would be any different under this new system.
I believe that you're right and wrong on this. Besides the fact that your evidence is purely anecdotal, you miss the point of those who are objecting to this legislation. This Senate segregation does not disadvantage Senators by casting aspersions on their job performance. This legislation disadvantages Senators by forcing them to serve shorter terms simply because they received less votes. This is inconvenient, as Senators will have to spend 7 days of their 35-day terms campaigning to be elected again. I know we wish that it wouldn't, but the amount of work a Senator is able to do decreases while they're running for election. I would hate for half of our Senate to be spending a full 20% of their time campaigning.

I will also point out that there are a few Senators who consistently get re-elected no matter what. The top spots, those with 70-day terms, would likely comprise a semi-permanent ruling class, with everyone else forced to duke it out. I mean, even if a new member has a really great term, are we really going to vote for them over Malashaan? It's hard to believe. It's difficult for newer members to break into the upper echelon of vote-getters. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but the evidence points to the contrary. We don't want people to feel a lack of upward mobility, otherwise they'll begin to feel isolated, and that's when we lose people. There's already a sense that we have a somewhat patrician region in the first place, or at least we have in the past, I wouldn't want to exacerbate that.
I believe that CSP has done a good job addressing most of the secondary concerns, so I will instead take this opportunity to mention a few other highlights that have thus far been overlooked. The first is that the MSA system would compel even the established, experienced Senators to campaign hard and work hard. One trend I dislike in Europeia is that well-regarded Senators often forgo a platform during elections or fail to put any significant thought into a platform if they do post one. Since Senators will be divided into two tiers under this system, experienced Senators will be more likely to go the extra mile in campaigning not only so they win, but also so they don't have to run again in 35 days. The same applies to their work throughout the term. Because of tougher competition for full term seats, all Senators will need to work harder in the Senate to get as many votes as possible. Coasting will be a much less appealing option.
I don't believe that these types of incentives work. What exactly stops an older member from coasting under this system? They would win election as easily at the midterm as they would in the general election. This is also an interesting point, because in admitting that there will be tougher competition for full term seats, you admit that half-term seats are undesirable, which seems to give credence to the idea that these Senators are being declared second-rate.
The second is that more opportunities to run for Senate means that more people will be able to contribute more often. Yes, CSP highlighted the advantages of more frequent elections, but I want to emphasize that point even further. More elections mean additional opportunities to build platforms, to propose ideas, and to discuss legislation as a region. They also mean that newcomers will be able to jump in sooner after joining. Plus, the added benefit of seeking a 35 day term will allow citizens with a more limited time frame to seek election (I do realize however that running at mid-terms means one could be elected to either length term, but the option is available at general elections when only 35-day seats would be elected).
This, I believe, is harmful, and will not lead to more newcomer participation. If we take pressure off of people who are holding office, they may feel less weight in their decision to run. I don't want a bunch of older members to crowd out newer members in the rush for 35-day seats. It should be an undertaking to serve in office, and a 35-day term might not be the standard that we're trying to hold people to. I mean, if someone is really totally unable to commit to 70 days, do we want them in office that badly? It just feeds into the idea that holding one of these offices is the only way to contribute to the region. Older members should join the CA, be mentors, join Ministries. We don't want to make it easy to just sit on a Senate seat, knowing that it isn't a long-term commitment.
Finally, I want to stress the benefits for newcomers. The MSA does not confine newcomers to 35-day terms. After all, in the last election NK would have been elected to a 70-day term on her first Senate run. A newcomer with a quality platform, strong activity, and experience in the CA or otherwise would be just as capable of winning a full 70-day term as a more experienced Senator, as the Drecq/NK example shows. At general (Presidential) elections, when only 35-day terms are up for election, the electorate may be even more likely to take a risk on an unestablished newcomer, given the shortened term length. The MSA is an encouraging development for newer members, providing more opportunities for and increased likelihood of election.
Again, I don't think that the data shows this, although you've found one example where it's true.
The system that we have developed over the years works well, but it could work better.
Is the problem with our Senate really that 70-day terms are way to onerous on people? If we have any problem with our Senate, it's that they don't have stuff to do, although the last couple of Senates seem to be doing just fine with that. It seems like we want to do a reform to try and fix the problem, when I don't think that the Senate has a problem. It's very, very functional, and we should be happy with what we've got. As is, it is a mature institution that has fluctuations in activity but is generally stable. We've had so many discussions that come down to the same point: the current state of the Senate isn't perfect, but it is ideal in the circumstances under which we play this game. I don't think that we should screw with it right now. I just don't think it makes sense.

I'd like to see either Sopo or the author of this bill link it to a specific issue that we've had with some data, not just with rhetoric and anecdotes. Otherwise, I don't think I could be comfortable segregating the Senate into two separate-but-equal halves and hoping that a benefit comes from it that we can't foresee now.

McEntire said:
If we have any problem with our Senate, it's that they don't have stuff to do, although the last couple of Senates seem to be doing just fine with that. It seems like we want to do a reform to try and fix the problem, when I don't think that the Senate has a problem. It's very, very functional, and we should be happy with what we've got. As is, it is a mature institution that has fluctuations in activity but is generally stable. We've had so many discussions that come down to the same point: the current state of the Senate isn't perfect, but it is ideal in the circumstances under which we play this game. I don't think that we should screw with it right now. I just don't think it makes sense.
I think we have an - overall - underperforming Senate that even when confronted with legislation to tackle or that needs to be fixed would rather sit back and let others do the heavy lifting. (notably Mal and Drecq over the past 2 years, with others helping on occasion as well)

Over the past year or two (i.e. while I've been active - possibly prior to that), we've largely had complacent Senators. It's easy to say "we're amazing, there's nothing to do, go Europeia!" However, given our high standards for legislation, it takes actual time and research and effort to improve upon our legislation.

There are things that should be improved upon, and there are things that should be fixed. The current discussions on the Elections Act and Judiciary Act demonstrate this, and I'm sure there are other problems that could stand to be fixed.

However, due to the complacent nature of the Senate overall, those that actually do work are too busy fixing problems to look for more. And those that are happy being a Senator are too busy talking about how amazing our laws are to look for things that should be fixed and offer solutions.

Is CSP's first draft perfect? Far from it. I've only first had a chance to read this proposal over this morning, so while I have some thoughts, I want to let them percolate more before making any suggestions.

The Senate does have a problem, and we should expect more from our Senators than I think we have historically. This proposal of CSP's may not be the answer. I'm not saying it is. However, I applaud and respect him for at least trying something to shake up the status quo.

Mousebumples said:
McEntire said:
If we have any problem with our Senate, it's that they don't have stuff to do, although the last couple of Senates seem to be doing just fine with that. It seems like we want to do a reform to try and fix the problem, when I don't think that the Senate has a problem. It's very, very functional, and we should be happy with what we've got. As is, it is a mature institution that has fluctuations in activity but is generally stable. We've had so many discussions that come down to the same point: the current state of the Senate isn't perfect, but it is ideal in the circumstances under which we play this game. I don't think that we should screw with it right now. I just don't think it makes sense.
I think we have an - overall - underperforming Senate that even when confronted with legislation to tackle or that needs to be fixed would rather sit back and let others do the heavy lifting. (notably Mal and Drecq over the past 2 years, with others helping on occasion as well)

Over the past year or two (i.e. while I've been active - possibly prior to that), we've largely had complacent Senators. It's easy to say "we're amazing, there's nothing to do, go Europeia!" However, given our high standards for legislation, it takes actual time and research and effort to improve upon our legislation.

There are things that should be improved upon, and there are things that should be fixed. The current discussions on the Elections Act and Judiciary Act demonstrate this, and I'm sure there are other problems that could stand to be fixed.

However, due to the complacent nature of the Senate overall, those that actually do work are too busy fixing problems to look for more. And those that are happy being a Senator are too busy talking about how amazing our laws are to look for things that should be fixed and offer solutions.

Is CSP's first draft perfect? Far from it. I've only first had a chance to read this proposal over this morning, so while I have some thoughts, I want to let them percolate more before making any suggestions.

The Senate does have a problem, and we should expect more from our Senators than I think we have historically. This proposal of CSP's may not be the answer. I'm not saying it is. However, I applaud and respect him for at least trying something to shake up the status quo.
I think you're absolutely right on a lot of things. I'm certainly not trying to dismiss this out of hand, and I appreciate the reform-minded thinking. I agree that we have problems in the Senate, I also think that maybe we have the best possible amount of problems that we could have. I mean, no institution is perfect. I disagree that this specific solution solves a specific problem that we have.

We should hold our Senators to higher standards, but I believe that's a question of accountability. I fail to see how this proposal increases accountability. It institutionalizes a system of segregation based on popularity. I am all for accountability. Maybe that means making greater use of the recall of elected officials. Maybe that means electing a CA representative to the Senate. I'm not sure exactly what it means, but I've yet to see all of the newcomers who this will supposedly provide more opportunity to jump to support this. I think that's a telling sign.

So, let's consider this proposal on its merits. I know I will. And if changes are made, I'll reconsider the amended proposal. I do know that I can't support it in its current form, although I do applaud that we're talking about reform now.

Thanks, Mac. That's more my point in "support" of this. It's not that this is perfect or will solve everything (or even anything). But to say that we're "good enough" isn't good enough ( :p ) for me.

I have expressed my dissatisfaction ... elsewhere (perhaps worded a bit ineloquently) with the responses that it's gotten from some Senators within the Senate. (And presumably within Prelim Discussions, although I can't see that, and I don't think that any Senators will break the private areas laws to tell me/us about that, but ... I'm guessing CSP probably has some variant of this there for awhile.)

My dissatisfaction is more with the fact that many Senators seem unwilling to engage in a debate on the merits, rather than dismissing this sort of reform out of hand as being "bad." This variation and proposal doesn't work for you? Fine! Say as much. However, how would you look to address the concerns that CSP said himself in the Senate thread that he was trying to "fix" ?

We need to be able to give relative newcomers more chances in the Senate. We should also encourage the "old guard" of experienced Senators to actually campaign and work for re-election, rather than relying on their name to get them enough votes to be elected - even if it's with the final seat allocated.

This is one attempt at a solution. It may not actually fix anything if implemented, but I would appreciate if the Senate (and the Europeian public) would at least consider the problems and how we can try to fix them, even if they hate this variant/attempt at solution.

McEntire said:
I'd like to see either Sopo or the author of this bill link it to a specific issue that we've had with some data, not just with rhetoric and anecdotes. Otherwise, I don't think I could be comfortable segregating the Senate into two separate-but-equal halves and hoping that a benefit comes from it that we can't foresee now.
I'll try. I want to preface this by saying that I'm using poll results based on what they currently look like where "official" results are not presented in an easily accessible way, so this may not be 100% accurate if votes were cast after polls closed etc.

• In the last Senate election, Fort, Kaboom, and Drecq would have been elected to 35-day seats while Ninja Kittens, CSP, and Mal would have been elected to a 70-day term.
  • In the August Senate election, Anumia and CSP would have been elected to a 35-day term. Rylian (Trinnien), Mal, and Drecq all tied for first. 2 would get a 70-day term; it's currently unclear how that would be decided.
  • In the June election, shadowlurker and zapper would have been elected to a 35-day term while Drecq and Kraken would have been elected to a 70-day term. Brunhilde and HEM tied for the 3rd 70-day seat; again it's currently unclear how ties will be dealt with.
  • In the April election, McEntire and Calvin would have been elected to a 35-day term while Kraken would have been elected to a 70-day term. Another tie between Mal and Drecq for the other spot.
  • Finally, back in January, Kraken, HEM, RZM, and Anumia would have received 35 day terms while Mal, Brun, Noto, and WL would have received 70-day terms.

Just looking at this, a few things are clear to me. We do have a a couple of Senators that routinely get top spots, but they aren't necessarily safe (see: Drecq in this past election, Mal and Drecq in April). Newcomers are also routinely top-vote-getters (see: Brun in January, Trinn in August, NK recently). Furthermore, experienced and tenured Senators are often low-vote-getters (see: Anumia a couple times, HEM & Kraken in January, CSP in August).

Over the past year, there's no solid trend... no one who would be safe in "top spots." Newcomers who are seen as bright and promising rake in the votes. Newcomers who are more like wild cards often still win seats with less votes. I don't know that there's evidence of any hierarchy here, except maybe that Europeia re-elects people who perform well and knocks people down a peg when they don't put in the effort.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of "data" you're looking for, but it's the only thing I could think of.

McEntire said:
This is also an interesting point, because in admitting that there will be tougher competition for full term seats, you admit that half-term seats are undesirable, which seems to give credence to the idea that these Senators are being declared second-rate.

Sure, it's definitely better for the Senator not to have to run again after 35 days, but it doesn't make them any less of a Senator. It's still desirable because it's a Senate seat. People who can't be bothered to campaign every 70 days certainly won't want to do so twice as often.

I still don't see how this would lead to any kind of segregation. At any given time, 35-day term Senators will comprise half or a plurality of the sitting Senators. They can't be ignored or mistreated lest they won't work with their 70-day term colleagues. I like to think we're above that, but if we're not, the voters will have the opportunity to rectify the problem.

One of the questions I have for the opponents of this - is the issue because always half of the Senate (ish) will be only serving a half-term? Would things be any better if a different metric was used to determine which Senators, if any, would only serve a half term?

For example:
  • Any Senator that receives less than 75% of the vote count of the Senator with the highest vote total. (i.e. SenatorA gets 20 votes. Senator B gets 19 votes. SenatorC gets 14 votes. Senator C would serve the half-term, the other two would serve a full term. Possibly all Senators could serve full terms, depe(nding on how the votes were allocated.)
  • Any Senator that does not exceed 5 votes of separation between them and the first candidate who did not earn a Senate seat will serve a half term. (i.e. Non-Senator gets 10 votes. SenatorA gets 20 votes, as above. Senator C gets 14 votes, as above. SenatorA serves a full term, SenatorC serves a half term.)
  • Something else.
Those examples would be less arbitrary (i.e. "always half of the Senate") and we could potentially have entire Senates that are serving a full term ... or an entire Senate (with the latter option above) that is all serving a half-term in a very tough-fought election.

Both of those could encourage some strategic voting - but both would probably also encourage activity and campaigning and the like as well, which would hopefully translate to a more engaged and active Senate. (and that, personally, is my main goal here with whatever avenue is pursued, if any)

Over the past year, there's no solid trend... no one who would be safe in "top spots." Newcomers who are seen as bright and promising rake in the votes. Newcomers who are more like wild cards often still win seats with less votes. I don't know that there's evidence of any hierarchy here, except maybe that Europeia re-elects people who perform well and knocks people down a peg when they don't put in the effort.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of "data" you're looking for, but it's the only thing I could think of.
What I meant was that I want to know how this solves a problem. What problem does this solve and in what ways does it solve it?

Back