Military Alignment Poll Results

Military Alignment Poll Results
By zapper

Eight days ago, the EBC released the second military alignment poll which studied the Europeian public's views on the Europeian military. Interestingly, this poll had the exact same number of responses at 22 that the previous poll had four years ago, this is an interesting topic to look at and the responses are interesting. So here are the results.

PART 1 - IDENTITY

The first section of the poll dealt with the identity of participants, rather than their attitudes.

Question 1: How satisfied are with Europeia's current stance on military issues?
Other responses said:
I am highly anti-military
This data seems to support our original hypothesis that Europeians support the military completely, with not one person saying that they were dissatisfied and the majority of participants saying that they were very satisfied with the way that the military is handling issues. This shows that there is a large amount of support for Grand Admiral Writinglegend.

Question 2: How do you identify yourself, in terms of the raider-defender scale?
Other responses said:
Phychologist/therapist (this is serious)
This is not an unusual result. The majority of participants said they were independent and this is the position that ERN and the Europeian government takes when it comes to gameside activities. Three of the participants voted with being a raider of some sort and this is not surprising as most of the ERN's activity is tag-raiding, one participant said that they were a moderate defender, one said they were neutral and two said that had no place on the scale.

Question 3: Do you or have you participated in raiding/defending activities?

It is interesting to see that a large portion of the participants have not taken part in military activity here or in other regions, if we had the participant data we would be interested to see if this had any effect on the answers that each of the participants gave in the poll. However, the fact that most of the participants have participated in both of raiding and defending suggests that many of the participants have been involved in ERN activities, this shows that people are involved in the ERN and their activities.

PART 2 - ATTITUDES

This second section looked at what people want for the future, and the way they see Europeia in the world.​

Question 4: In detailed terms, Europeia's military stance should be...?
Responses said:
Independent
Independent
Independent
Independent
Independent
Independent.
Independent.
Whatever serves our FA interests.
strong raider region, defending only allies
None.
Best for Europeia
Best for us
[see stock definition of our Independent ideology]
independent
Raiding when it's best for foreign policy, and defending when best for foreign policy. Independent, and nothing should nor will change such a stance. Restricting ourselves to one ideology will only result in a mess and a lackluster Foreign Policy.
Independence.
based on our current needs and capabilities, regardless if its Defense or Raiding.
Europeia should continue to pursue operations in furtherance of it's foriegn policy, including any type of op, while maintaining a professional manner it's in operations.
We should always do what is in the best interests of the region. Pretty ideological alignment could lead to us narrowing our role in NS
Heavily Raider
Independent.
RAIDER
The responses were all remarkably similar, people either answered that they believed that Europeia's military stance should be independent or whatever is best for Europeia and our Foreign policy interests. This helps to demonstrate the support behind the objectives of the ERN.

Question 5: How close should we be to the following groups in general?
Other responses said:
None
Specifically we should ignore nazis, and treat GCR's on a case by case basis
When analyzing Raiders, most individuals feel that we should be friendly or allied with them and only a small minority believe that Europeia should be Actively Fighting, adversarial or apathetic to raiders. This is probably because they feel that raiders are neither a threat to Europeia's interests. For defenders, most believe rather similar views that they have towards raiders, however, instead of a large minority of people believing that we should be allies with defenders more individuals believe Europeia should be Apathetic rather than allied to defenders. People are largely in consensus when it comes to Griefers as nobody believes that we should be allied or friendly towards them and the majority of individuals believing that we should be adversarial and the second large group of individuals believing that we should be apathetic to Griefers. All but three respondents believed that we should be actively fighting Nazis and this was expected as Nazis are universally denounced across the NS community. GCRs are by far the most popular group here with 12 respondents believing that we should be allies, 10 believing that we should be friendly and no respondents believing that we should be actively fighting or be adversarial towards GCRs.

Question 5: Who is our most important ally?
Responses said:
LKE
LKE
LKE
LKE
Balder
Balder
I can't pick 1.
One of the feeders.
This fluctuates in my mind, i am not currently sure
one of the GCRs
I would say TNP or LKE.
The North Pacific
All of them. Not sure what you hope to get out of this.
Hard to say. By what measure?
I'm not sure it can really boil down to just one. LKE, Balder, TNP, Albion, Osiris, and others all play important roles as allies.
LKE, they are one of our best demonstrations of our long term loyalty to our friends..
No idea.
Not something that can be answered in a single question. I defer to the GA and President on this one.
We have several very important allies that all contribute to our region's activities
DEN
Don't have enough of a grasp to tell.
No one. Europeia is great by itself.

It appears that many individuals support and consider LKE our most important ally, with the North Pacific, Balder, and DEN being mentioned by a few respondents. This is due largely in part to the long history between LKE and Europeia that spans back to Europeia's founding. The bonds the two regions have made, in recent years, have allowed them to excel together and ensure a common, reliable ally in NS affairs.

Question 7: Does morality play a role in the military side of NationStates?
Other responses said:
Mostly just against Nazis.
I'm not sure, i definitely think that it should.
Depends.
Only because defenders make it one.
I think it can, and is more evident in Defender regions that view it is a moral imperative to prevent all raiding from happening, ever. I wouldn't say that Raiders/Independents/Imperialists have such a stark moralistic view on military gameplay.
Morality does not; however there is a level of ethics that can be applied to gameplay.
It shouldn't but it does for some.
It seems as though respondents are split on this particular question. While many individuals believe that morality does play a role in the military of NS, several respondents believe it doesn't and others feel as though other factors come into play when deciding morality.

Conclusion
Europeia appears to have many of the same feelings to certain issues regarding the ERN and military gameplay. Whether this is due to an assimilation of ideas or other factors, it is up to the interpreter to determine. The poll has clearly lended support behind the conclusion that the ERN has a strong influence across the region and is supported by most. The EBC is also comfortable concluding that, while there are a few that may disagree, GCR's remain the most important part of NationStates politics and military gameplay. All of these conclusions help to demonstrate the ideal that Europeia is best served by remaining independent and operating within the best interests of the region.

Well, looks like the ERN reflects the populace's military opinion. But which came first? *wonders*

Calvin Coolidge said:
Well, looks like the ERN reflects the populace's military opinion. But which came first? *wonders*
Shower thoughts.

Also, great job zapper. Interesting results when comparing the different groups.

Quick question, do you prefer the slices of data out of the pie or would you prefer it being all together?

Those pie charts are slick!

zapper said:
Quick question, do you prefer the slices of data out of the pie or would you prefer it being all together?
Can you do like a mix of both? With like only the majority slice sticking out? I think that would be cool.
I prefer the slices though.

Kraketopia said:
Great article. It's nice to see the region continue to support the ERN so strongly.

Thanks Kraken.

GraVandius said:
zapper said:
Can you do like a mix of both? With like only the majority slice sticking out? I think that would be cool.
I prefer the slices though.

I don't see why not.

The region's military/FA policy has been in place for quite awhile now, and the continued success of our status quo has seemingly influenced people's opinions to an extent not previously seen here.

Will stop Unibot (is he still around?) from incessantly quoting that half-a-decade-old poll that (supposedly) proved Europeians wanted the region to turn defender.

r3naissanc3r said:
Will stop Unibot (is he still around?) from incessantly quoting that half-a-decade-old poll that (supposedly) proved Europeians wanted the region to turn defender.
Probably not. We all know that polls can be faked, biased, etc., r3n. :p

Kuramia said:
r3naissanc3r said:
Probably not. We all know that polls can be faked, biased, etc., r3n. :p
We pride ourselves at EBC for biased unbiased polls... :p

Back