Malaise Abounds as Senate Standing Opens

Malaise Abounds as Senate Standing Opens
May 2017 Pre-Standing Poll Results
Written by McEntire

(Europeia - May 5, 2017) - With Senate elections now open, the EBC polled to determine the mood of voters and we found a general sense of low expectations. 23 citizens participated in our poll, of which 43.5 percent were older members (those who joined before 2015), and 56.5 percent were newer members (those who joined in 2015 or later). The poll includes a section on the current Senate, a snapshot of the current term, and finally peoples' views on the election now underway. To the results!

Current Senate

The current Senate holds a middling approval rating of 39.1 percent, with 30.4 percent disapproving and 30.4 percent unsure. This represents a high level of uncertainty at the end of the term, and is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the current Senate's work. While the entire Senate may have received lukewarm ratings, our poll showed that approval ratings for individual Senators came in all over the map.

While voters didn't give the Senate very high marks, they seemed to appreciate its leadership. Speaker Malashaan received the highest approval rating of any senator by far, with 82.6 percent approving of his job performance. One disgruntled voter, who registered as "other" in our poll, said of Malashaan, "Mal will get a good review for being Mal not for being a Senator." But generally among the electorate, the Speaker is in a good position.

Both Senator Cerian Quilor and Senator Isaris were reasonably popular, with 60.9 percent and 47.8 percent approval, respectively. Senator Quilor may be more highly approved of, but both of these Senators have disapproval ratings near 20 percent and a relatively high number of poll respondents "not sure" on their performance.

The newest addition to our legislative body, Senator Seven Deaths, appears not to have made an impression on voters yet, or at very least not a good one. More than a quarter of poll respondents rated him negatively, and nearly half say that they are not sure about his job performance. Those who voted "other" made remarks that his short tenure left them unable to judge him.

Finally, the most polarizing of the group is Senator JayDee. Tied with Malashaan for the lowest number of respondents "not sure", almost everyone in the poll registered some opinion on JayDee's term. While only 30.4 percent approved of his performance in office, that is not too much lower than the approval for the Senate overall. Had JayDee chosen to seek re-election, he may have had problems with the electorate given that his disapproval sits at a sky-high 56.5 percent, double that of the next-most-disapproved Senator. Comments on JayDee note that he may have been too harsh on Cabinet nominees.

When asked about the greatest achievements of this Senate, voters tend to say three things: nothing, CAIN 2.0, or working with the Citizens' Assembly. When asked about failings, they identified a lack of real progress and the process of Cabinet nominations. In terms of additional comments, a couple of folks praised JayDee for his effort as a Senator and contributing to discussion.

Ratification of CAIN 2.0

Chair Elections Corrections Amendment (2017)

Cain 2.0

None

Getting started on a rewrite for the Judicature Act

Activity and discussion.

Not sure

Working with the CA

Passing CAIN 2.0.

I don't know if there's been a singular accomplishment, but there have been a number of interesting discussions driven by a small group of Senators.

I can't say I've really seen much to rave about from the senate this term.

Nothing

CPAA

Executive Order 95 .10 :p

Wait the senate accomplished something? Beyond routine confirmations and a few treaty ratifications that always pass regardless and are already written, the only thing that has been done is a handful of tiny edits that while nessarry aren't significant accomplishments.

Replacing Grizz

Not sure

Ratification of CAIN

The Political Ethics Amendment. While the bill itself isn't very impressive, the process which created it shows precisely how the interaction between the Senate and the Assembly should be.

Approving the CAIN treaty, I guess

It hasn't passed much or anything but it has laid a lot of ground work for the next Senate. I think it's done a lot of good work just only people who view the Senate discussion will see that good work.

Prefer not to answer

Making the WA Deputies accountable to the Senate, which was actually something started in the last term.
Activity

Tedious questioning from Senator Jaydee regarding Calvin's nominees

Judicature

Everything

Lot's of activity at first, but all that momentum went away after the Presidential elections

Confirmations of the cabinet.

Not Sure

Confirmations

Malashaan and Isaris are the workhorses.

HEM's resignation, Grizzli's absence, and Isaris's focus on other endeavors left the Senate pretty inactive for awhile in the middle.

A lack of progress.

Personal quarrels

Consistency.

The lack of any real progress or work getting done.

Approving Rand

Communication to others on the laws which have been passed.

JayDee, basically. It's hard to choose between the ridiculous Confirmation Hearings and the failed Judicature Rewrite. A thorough examination of a nominee is understandable, but it just felt like he had something to prove. The Judicature Rewrite is far too ambitious a project for a junior Senator, and the bill is in an unusable state. Will anything come of all that discussion?
Kinda answered above. Good that it's laid a lot of groundwork, but actually passing a bill would be nice.

Seems like a caretaker term, to be honest. PAA doesn't seem to really have done much because no solution for conflicts of interest was put forward, a few loopholes were patched up, and some FA treaty things were done.

Current Term

While it is early in the term, President Calvin Coolidge has a dismal 26.1 percent approval rating, with 34.8 percent disapproving. Even so, Europeians are divided on whether or not the region is headed in the right direction. By a margin on 52.2-47.8, poll respondents said we are headed in the right direction.

In what may be an opportunity for the President, Europeians have much more faith in the Executive branch to make change than they do in the Senate. 60.9 percent say the Executive is more capable of making change, while only 17.4 percent believe that the Senate can, with 21.7 percent believing they are equally capable. The poll indicates that if the President wants to change the minds of the 47.8 percent that believe we're on the wrong track, the region believes that his branch of government is the one to do it.

In terms of what citizens think requires the greatest change, many say the Citizens' Assembly. Surprisingly, the next highest is the Chancellery, followed by World Assembly and Senate in a tie. Those who voted "other" responded that day-today communications and foreign affairs were in need of the greatest change.

It's felt quite lacking in my perspective. Minister level seems to be going smooth for the most part, not sure about what's going on above that but I haven't seen much.

Very disappointed that the President has decided not to go through with the States. As the main issue I voted on, I'll be very determined to see the President out of office at the end of this term if no statement or progress is made on this.

The time has come for a real lower house. Empower the CA!

Senate Elections

Of those who answered our poll, 65.8 percent were not intending to run for Senate, while 34.8 percent were considering it. Not one respondent was willing to say that yes, they were intending to run, which robbed the EBC of getting the exclusive on potential candidates! 30 percent of older members said that they were considering running, while 41.7 percent of newer members said the same.

Unsurprisingly, 90.9 percent of respondents would vote to re-elect Malashaan. Senators Malashaan and Cerian Quilor are the only ones that a majority of voters would re-elect, though. Interestingly, 36.4 percent would vote to re-elect JayDee, although only 30.4 percent approve of his job performance. This may feed the narrative that voters have appreciated his effort, even if they didn't always approve his actions.

Besides current Senators, poll respondents were also asked to identify potential candidates for the current election. Here are the candidates you want to see:

It's a diverse group, with new and old members alike leading the pack. Leading the pack of desired candidates are Drecq, Punchwood, and XIV, with members like Leo Drakan, Aexnidaral, Writinglegend, and Notolecta not far behind. The above graphic shows how there is truly a pool of candidates that voters want to see. Whether those candidates decide to get in this round is another matter entirely.

And that may be why voters are unexcited about this Senate election. Only 26.1 percent say that they're optimistic for these elections, with 39.1 percent pessimistic and 34.8 percent unsure. In general, voters are in a malaise. While many seem dissatisfied and lukewarm on much in the region, there is still some hope that this round of Senate elections will bring a refreshed drive. We shall soon see if that hope turns out to be false.

Something else I wish I addressed before :baghead: The only thing from the confirmations that I regret was my treatment of Rand. What I did during the hearing for him was a terrible and cowardly thing to do. I don't regret how I voted, nor do I regret what I did in the other confirmation hearings. What I did for Rand, however, was unjustified in every sense.

Hopefully I have nothing further to say.

Kaboom said:
And also, will the list of comments under "Other" be fully released? I said "Other" to all but Mal and Cerian because it was the only way I could get my comments in.
I was not planning to release the full list of comments for those who voted "other", rather I tried to fold them into the general narrative and indicate where I thought it was appropriate.

I completely missed taking this poll, unfortunately, but I'd also like to offer an endorsement of JayDee's efforts, as I would probably have rated him the 3rd best Senator - behind Malashaan and Cerian. To have such widespread disapproval shocks me, frankly. I look forward to voting for you in the Senate in the future, JayDee, when you have time to run again.

Back