La Cave du Vin, Issue 1

La Cave du Vin
- Deepest House -

Welcome to La Cave du Vin, a new Europeian Broadcasting Company series which will explore the world of red wines, focusing on finding great wines, those that exhibit the best qualities of their style, while remaining affordable. Each issue will review a new wine, carefully selected for a maximum Quality Price Ratio, or QPR. Red wines will be the focus of the series, however it’s inevitable that the odd white will receive a review at some point. If there are any new key wine terms, the series will explain them at the start of the article.

Key wine terms for this inaugural issue are Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée/appellation, Bordeaux, Haut-Medoc, Left Bank, Right Bank, and Cru Bourgeois.

Bordeaux is a city in southwestern France, near the Atlantic Ocean, and gives its name to perhaps the most famous wine growing region in France. Bordeaux wine bottles of any quality will identify the appellation, the geographic area, from which the wine originates. The various appellations also have differing reputations, a fact reflected in their price points. The appellation also helps to quickly determine if you are drinking a Left Bank or a Right Bank Bordeaux wine. French law legally and formally defines the borders of the various appellations.

Bordeaux wines are a blend of grapes, with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes dominating the blend, depending on which bank the vintner grew the grapes and fermented the wine. Cabernet Sauvignon grapes dominate Left Bank wines, while Merlot grapes dominate the Right Bank wines. The other grapes often included in the blend are Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec, usually in much smaller quantities than the dominant grapes.

Tonight’s wine is a Bordeaux hailing from appellation Haut-Medoc, on the famed Left Bank of the Gironde estuary. In the 17th century, growing economic demand for French wine compelled the Dutch to convert marshland in the area into land suitable for vines, giving birth to Haut-Medoc. The Left Bank of the Gironde eventually became renowned as host of some of the highest quality and most reputable appellations in the world.

This evening, La Cave du Vin examines Chateau Bibian, a Cru Bourgeois wine from the 2010 vintage. Cru Bourgeois is a classification awarded to quality wines from the Medoc that were not included in the Classification of 1855, a topic this series will save for later. To receive Cru Bourgeois classification, a Chateau must apply and meet a series of rigorous standards. If the Chateau does not maintain high quality standards, it may lose the Cru Bourgeois classification. Looking for the Cru Bourgeois label on wines helps ensure you'll receive a quality wine. 2010 is widely considered a vintage of exceptional class, much superior to the average Bordeaux vintage.

The 2010 Chateau Bibian has a deep violet and plum color. With aromas of dark fruits and jam, a touch of spice reminiscent of pepper trails at the end of the bouquet. Pleasantly fruity on the tongue, the fruits quickly fade away into more subtle and sophisticated accents. Rich and agreeably balanced, the earthy and gravelly accents finish smoothly with tannins clearly present. This is a great wine that embodies the Left Bank, with a bold yet refined Cabernet presence providing the structure. This wine deserves to be enjoyed with smoked meats and cheeses.

At $19 plus tax at the local wine shop, the 2010 Chateau Bibian exemplifies what La Cave du Vin is all about – a great wine at an affordable price.

Brunhilde said:
Don't compare scotch to wine. It's treason.
Indeed - no comparison.

I'm not a Scotch drinker at all.

I like drinking wine out of a sniffer, though.

It has a lower center of gravity, which is good with a toddler. Also provides a bit more surface area for the wine to breathe, and easier to swirl.

It's actually not that different from larger wine glasses, except for the stem.

Update:

While picking a new wine to review this weekend in a different shop, I saw they carried Bibian for $13!

I was tempted to buy all of it (about a case) but didn't.

I mention this because it is really worthwhile to visit and get to know the various wine shops in your area, as wine merchants are often members of the Thieves Guild (at least in my area), and bottle prices can vary significantly from one place to the next.

Back