former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - Kraketopia edges ahead of Drecq, but race remains TCTC
Written by HEM Tiberius

As the Presidential race approaches the final three days, polls suggest a very close race between Foreign Affairs Minister Kraketopia and Speaker Drecq.

"Both candidates have had strong suits, and both candidates have had mis-steps," ENN contributor Jay Leno says, "This will be a close race. This will be one to watch."

A poll commissioned by ENN -- the first ENN poll this cycle -- confirms earlier polling that showed Kraketopia was a slight lead. 54% of respondents said that if the election were held today, they would be casting their vote for Kraketopia. 38% said that they would vote for Drecq, and 8% were undecided.

"This is good news for Kraketopia," Princeton economics professor Paul Krugman says, "Don't get me wrong, this is very good news. He is above 50%, and that's exactly what you want. That being said, this poll is sampling only about 50-70% of the people who will eventually vote, so this thing is still anybody's game."

Kraketopia has a larger base than Drecq, with 35% "strongly" supporting him, and only 19% "strongly" supporting his opponent. Both candidates have 19% of the electorate "leaning" toward them, and those voters could be kingmakers in this game.

"Even consider these 25 people are the only ones to vote, all Drecq has to do is win the undecideds and peel away 3 votes from Kraken's 'leaning' column, and he wins," former UK Prime Minister John Major contributes, "Kraketopia has the best position going into the polls, but he is not a lock by any extent of the imagination."

When voters were asked how they would vote if incumbent President Anumia was seeking re-election, the entire race was thrown into the fire.

31% would support Anumia, 31% would support Kraketopia, and 27% would support Drecq (with 12% undecided).

"Would've been a helluva election," An anonymous Europeian contributed sadly.

In terms of the current field running, 69% of Europeians are satisfied with the field of candidates. Among those who are not, names like "Common Sense Politics", "PhDre", and "Lethen" came up the most often as people the 31% wished had run.

ENN recently published a piece that spoke about the progress made under President Anumia's tenure that also spoke about the changing political climate. 54% of respondents said that they wished for a return to a more "dynamic" political culture, with only 15% preferring the current state of affairs. 31% said they were unsure or not decided.

54% of Europeians feel the region is going in a good direction, with 42% feeling it has stagnated, and 4% feeling we are on the wrong track.

This generally optimistic sentiment reflects in President Anumia's final approval rating, which clocks in at a very strong 74%.

Some very telling results, all in all.

31% would support Anumia, 31% would support Kraketopia, and 27% would support Drecq (with 12% undecided).

Well now I wish Anumia was running again. That would have been an interesting election indeed. :D

modernsin said:

Well now I wish Anumia was running again. That would have been an interesting election indeed. :D
That it would have been, that it would have been...

HEM said:
modernsin said:

That it would have been, that it would have been...
Can we expect a follow-up article on why it's Anumia's fault elections aren't more interesting? :p

So Anumia has a 74% approval rating, but only 31% would have voted for him if he sought a fourth term? Something doesn't add up.

One can approve of the job I have done while still wanting to see someone new in office, I suppose...pretty damn solid exit poll after seven months though, I must say. :)

Skizzy Grey said:
So Anumia has a 74% approval rating, but only 31% would have voted for him if he sought a fourth term? Something doesn't add up.
I feel like there are a lot of factors you're not acknowledging. Maybe voters who like Anumia just like Kraken or Drecq better. Maybe they are less inclined to vote for a three-term incumbent than a new candidate. Maybe their minds would have changed if they actually saw a fourth platform they could compare to the current candidates' platforms. Maybe I rigged the votes. Who knows :ph43r:

modernsin said:
Skizzy Grey said:
I feel like there are a lot of factors you're not acknowledging. Maybe voters who like Anumia just like Kraken or Drecq better. Maybe they are less inclined to vote for a three-term incumbent than a new candidate. Maybe their minds would have changed if they actually saw a fourth platform they could compare to the current candidates' platforms. Maybe I rigged the votes. Who knows :ph43r:
It's not hard to figure out -- if Anumia ran, the election would have been a referendum on his performance, as elections with an incumbent running generally are. And he would likely have won -- though it's worth mentioning that his opponent would, of necessity, have been more critical of him than either Krak or Drecq has been during this campaign.

I thought it was a dumb question to ask x) If Anumia ran, hed have my vote, but in the poll I said Id vote for Kraken haha. What ifs dont make for good polling.

Zenny Anumia said:
I thought it was a dumb question to ask x) If Anumia ran, hed have my vote, but in the poll I said Id vote for Kraken haha. What ifs dont make for good polling.
Almost all polling is made up of "what ifs...". They are almost the point of polling altogether :p

Zenny Anumia said:
Might as well added me to that poll then :eek:
While I'm sure everyone's dying to know how your candidacy would have impacted this election, I think showing Anumia's hypothetical polling numbers raises more interesting speculations.

This election has frequently been framed as a "who is worthy enough to be Anumia's successor" or something (no surprise there), and the percentages HEM pulled might suggest the answer to that is...Anumia himself. :p Could Anumia have secured a fourth term if he had wanted? Just because it's a hypothetical question doesn't make it an invaluable one.

Well when I brought up that hypothetical in chat, not everyone seemed very interested x) But if theres a poll, DAMNIT ZENNY, WE NEED THIS
xP

I'll never understand why people want me back in Goldenblock when I'm so adamantly against the idea (and I'm not the most qualified for the job nowadays).

Lethen said:
I'll never understand why people want me back in Goldenblock when I'm so adamantly against the idea (and I'm not the most qualified for the job nowadays).
Don't worry. I wouldn't vote for you. :p I feel the same way though.

Lethen said:
I think because you served as President in the past, and there's always something cool about an "old guy" returning to do it again.

Zenny Anumia said:
Zenny for President! flail.gif

Back