Kazaman the Early Favorite In Opening Days

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
From August 11 - 12, I conducted a poll in the Grand Hall that garnered 26 responses. During the time this poll was open, a fourth ticket announced their run for the Goldenblock, but did not release a platform. That ticket will be included in the next poll. For now, let's get into the results!

Platforms

Screenshot 2023-08-12 131106.png

[list[][*]I still need to read all of the e-books or listen to their audiobook.
[*]It has actual ideas that go beyond just keeping the ministries going. The Commissions are a unique idea and I want to see them work
[*]He's clearly eager to be president, which is steep one, but there were a lot of words with only a medium density of actual ideas.
[*]Can't get through it honestly[/list]
Screenshot 2023-08-12 131124.png
  • I still need to read all of the e-books or listen to their audiobook.
  • A lot of their FA and ERN plans seemed to be "do what we're doing but ... better."
  • Too long, not clear
  • Seems over ambitious for a junior ticket
Screenshot 2023-08-12 131135.png

• I still need to read all of the e-books or listen to their audiobook.
  • It was a bit short, but lots of ideas and they seem to know what they're focusing on and what they aren't
  • Seems under ambitious for a senior ticket
  • Very interesting platform split between President and Vice President.

As it stands now, with many respondents admittedly not having read the platforms due to their length, Gem's platform is viewed the most favorably (77% favorable), followed by Kazaman's (54%), and then JayDee's (42.3%). Other notable stats: Gem's platform has very few neutral responses, JayDee's has by far the most unfavorable view of it (35%), and Kazaman's has the highest neutral numbers, likely due to this poll being released right after the platform, so many had not yet read it.

Important Issues, According to Voters
  • Outreach/Gameside reform
  • Continuing to adjust to the Frontier update and improve our status with Aegis
  • FA
  • WA population management, Endorsements on Delegate and RSC, Engagement with new nations.
  • WA population, WAA timeliness, plan for both indie and defender alliances
  • FA, Activity, WA Affairs, Culture
  • Activity, Foreign Policy, Integration and Tools
  • Given what happened this preceding term with the Senate and Foreign Affairs generally, I want to make sure we've got someone as President who is going to have some level of testicular fortitude and actually show a spine. Unfortunately that immediately eliminates one candidate.

Here we see the usual suspects: FA and activity. However, people also are tapped into the struggles of World Assembly affairs, and Gameside engagement.

Field Satisfaction
Screenshot 2023-08-12 132646.png

With three platforms and four tickets standing, the vast majority of respondents are satisfied with their choices for the next president. Makes sense.

The Horserace
Screenshot 2023-08-12 132831.png
Screenshot 2023-08-12 132840.png

• This has the -potential- to be one of the most turnt presidential election in history. Don't blow it!
  • I think a lot of these candidates could be amazing Presidents in a couple of terms once they've built up some experience, but right now a lot of them are extremely inexperienced and would benefit from more time in the Cabinet. It's also a curious move by a candidate who's very likely to be found to have broken the law and could be facing criminal charges soon to decide to run for President.
  • Glad it's got a lot of good tickets!
  • JayDee and Pichto are good names but the platform is hard to digest. Kaz and Gem are like polar opposites.
  • Seems like a very dynamic field!
  • After McEntire's post in his paper. . . I really dont see how anyone can consider him to be a serious candidate. When your takes are so bad you drive NES out to post a wall of text, you know it's bad.

It's early days on the campaign trail, so "Unsure" leads the pack with roughly 30% of the vote, and everyone else bunched around 20ish percent, with Gem having a slight lead. However, removing "Unsure" puts the Kazaman/Comfed ticket very close to victory with 50%. Gem only captures some of the unsure, while JayDee captures none. Obviously, there's a lot of time left in the race, as well as a whole new ticket that could disrupt things, but it seems all the tickets have ground to make up if they want to avoid a runoff, and JayDee's ticket in particular should strive to make their message more appealing to those on the fence if they hope to be competitive. Kazaman, meanwhile, is clearly in the best position, but with so much support not solid, nothing can be taken for granted.

That does it for our initial polling coverage in the August Presidential race. I'm sure we'll have much more to discuss in the coming days as we approach election day next Friday. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, listening to an audiobook.

Thank you for putting this together, Calvin! Obviously not the results we're hoping for, but very insightful. I know our platform is long, so please feel free to reach out to Pichto or myself!

And be sure to join us tomorrow for the Town Hall at 4PM EDT!!

Interesting results! Thank you for the delightful poll, Calvin!

Given what happened this preceding term with the Senate and Foreign Affairs generally, I want to make sure we've got someone as President who is going to have some level of testicular fortitude and actually show a spine. Unfortunately that immediately eliminates one candidate.
This made me cringe.

Great article Calvin, I really enjoyed reading it

Given what happened this preceding term with the Senate and Foreign Affairs generally, I want to make sure we've got someone as President who is going to have some level of testicular fortitude and actually show a spine. Unfortunately that immediately eliminates one candidate.
This made me cringe.

Same

Great article and a good early indication of the race.

To be honest, I feel like JayDee’s platform picked up unwarranted “bad vibes” over the debate between whether we are “Defender” or “Independent” which is a basically irresolvable question that doesn’t have a huge bearing on the brass tacks of being President. I’ve read his platform pretty thoroughly now, and he presents some really interesting ideas (though other areas are admittedly a little more thin).

though other areas are admittedly a little more thin).
I figured this would be the case! I’d love to discuss with you in DMs or in the platform if you’re open to it :)

I like all of the candidates as people and as civil servants and this isn't a dig at any one candidate but I'm concerned with how long platforms are getting these days.

I like that each candidate has laid out their vision with a good amount of detail but ill be honest I'm not gonna spend 40 minutes reading anyone's platform.

Good luck to everyone running

This made me cringe.

Nothing like some casual awfulness to let you know it's election time in NS.

This made me cringe.

I mean that comment may be harsh but it's not exactly mean or even awful

This made me cringe.

Fully agreed with this -- Saying that one of the candidates doesn't have a spine for politics is probably one of the softest hit jobs I can think of. We're not a love-in here, we're a political simulator. As long as the jabs are political and In-Character, it's all good by me.

To note: I don't actually know who that comment is referring to, so I'm not saying I agree with it.

Yeah I also don't know who it's suppose to refer to - every candidate in this race has shown themselves to have a spine, indeed if anything I'd have thought the best attack on each candidate is perhaps that they have too much of a spine and at times can be stubborn!! (Coming from love from a person who can also be stubborn at times! :p)

I agree with Prim here and think that saying that someone is at times weak is a perfectly legitimist attack line to use against a player in a political simulator. The way this person chose to frame their comment was weird, and it took all the venom out of their attack and instead people have focused on the weirdness of their comment rather than the attack. So I think the lesson here is that legitimate criticism and political attack is acceptable, and probably even healthy!! But trying to be too clever about it or crossing a line isn't going to be effective.

This made me cringe.

Agreed.

Thanks for this Calvin

This made me cringe.

Fully agreed with this -- Saying that one of the candidates doesn't have a spine for politics is probably one of the softest hit jobs I can think of. We're not a love-in here, we're a political simulator. As long as the jabs are political and In-Character, it's all good by me.

To note: I don't actually know who that comment is referring to, so I'm not saying I agree with it.
I mean, sure. I guess. I don't think 'testicular fortitude' is a 2023 phrase. I think submitting comments like this under the cloak of anonymity is kind of a chicken shit move. I also don't know who it's referring to so add 'ineffective' to my list of criticisms of that comment. :p

Yeah I gotta agree with csp, it is both anonymous and unclear, which is just unfortunate because if there are realistic concerns about one of the candidates in regards to foreign affairs or whatever Id like to know more about it.

Hiding shitty criticisms behind the veil of anonymity is not a behavior that we should be downplaying or encouraging. If you are afraid to attach your name to your opinion, maybe you are lacking in testicular fortitude.

Back