June Senate Election Coverage

Stay tuned for voting results updates, as well as panel discussion logs. Candidates in this election are (with only six seats available):
  • Kaboomlandia
  • Zapperzx
  • Dave22
  • Shufordbrian
  • Drecq
  • Kraketopia
  • HEM
  • Brunhilde
  • Shadowlurker
  • Prometheus32

Writinglegend said:
Stay tuned for voting results updates, as well as panel discussion logs. Candidates in this election are (with only six seats available):
  • Kaboomlandia
  • Zapperzx
  • Dave22
  • Shufordbrian
  • Drecq
  • Kraketopia
  • HEM
  • Brunhilde
  • Shadowlurker
You're missing out Prometheus32.

The Panel discusses possible reforms.
[20:45] <Sopo> o/
[20:45] <ShinTwoPointOh> Ello Sopo
[20:45] <Sopo> hey RZMSHIN
[20:46] <Writinglegend> Hey Sopo. Discussing possible legislative agenda for the next Senate and what they should work on.
[20:46] == Sopo has quit [Client Quit]
[20:47] == Sopo1 has joined #euro
[20:47] <ShinTwoPointOh> See! Legislative work scared him off.
[20:47] <ShinTwoPointOh> Bah
[20:47] == Sopo1 has changed nick to Sopo
[20:47] == mode/#euro [+v Sopo] by ChanServ
[20:47] <Writinglegend> D:
[20:47] <Sopo> sorry
[20:47] <Sopo> been having issues with mibbit
[20:47] <Sopo> finally resolved
[20:48] <Writinglegend> We are discussing possible legislative agenda for he next senate/what they should focus on.
[20:48] <Sopo> I think reform is going to be a big topic this term
[20:48] == CptCarrot has quit [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client]
[20:48] <Sopo> HEM has promised to bring it up and I think there's an appetite for it more than ever
[20:49] <Sopo> with Presidents expected to take on more and more and with the Senate having less and less to do, I think it may be time to take a look at how power is divvied up in Europeia
[20:50] <Sopo> it's been mentioned before, but possibly having two executive officials, one for domestic and one for foreign policy, might be something we should consider
[20:50] <Writinglegend> Any ideas for possible reforms?
[20:50] <Sopo> the position of president is really more than one person can handle these days, imo
[20:50] <Brunhilde> Doesn't TNI have a system like that?
[20:50] <Brunhilde> Or, at least, they did before
[20:51] <Shadowlurker> Ainur uses a system like that. I believe.
[20:51] <Sopo> my personal thought would be a Westminster system with a Prime Minister for domestic policy and then a popularly elected president for foreign affairs, military, etc.
[20:51] <Sopo> that doesn't really help my case since neither of those regions is doing well :p
[20:51] <Brunhilde> No region with those systems are doing well.
[20:51] <ShinTwoPointOh> I think the new system that Mother Dearest is utilizing in Balder has some merit. :3
[20:51] <Sopo> heh
[20:51] <Writinglegend> heh
[20:51] <Brunhilde> The British regions struggle with the Westminster system.
[20:52] <Sopo> it's true
[20:52] <Sopo> our system is part of the reason we've done so well for so long
[20:52] <Brunhilde> It is.
[20:52] <ShinTwoPointOh> Our system may be flawed, but reforms may make those flaws even worse.
[20:52] <Sopo> but I think there's a lot more stress on presidents these days than there used to be, and there are high expectations
[20:52] <Sopo> a better way to divert some of the workload would likely be welcome
[20:52] <Writinglegend> It can get stressful. :p
[20:53] <Writinglegend> But I think there are a lot of variables.
[20:53] <Sopo> and it is important to have one person in charge, consensus systems don't work all that well
[20:53] <Sopo> see TSP
[20:54] <Brunhilde> In some ways it is meant to be stressful
[20:55] <ShinTwoPointOh> You know what Uncle Ben always said: "With great power comes great responsibility."
[20:55] <Writinglegend> It really depends on your Cabinet, expectations, progress, foreign landscape and events, and other happenings - both internal and external -.
[20:55] <Brunhilde> I think that the problem is that there isn't much of a team feeling. It's all about pushing the individual to prove themselves rather than working together to accomplish a goal.
[20:55] <Writinglegend> And it varies.
[20:55] <Writinglegend> While it is stressful, it's so worth it. :p
[20:55] <Writinglegend> You run for President with the knowledge that it is going to be stressful.
[20:55] <Brunhilde> ^
[20:55] <Sopo> that's true, a lot depends on the Cabinet. great Ministers make it a lot easier, but bad Ministers put too much pressure on the president, and ultimately the president is the only one who is accountable
[20:56] <Writinglegend> I mean, we've seen many President's able to handle the stress.
[20:56] <Brunhilde> I've always believed that bad ministers should be replaced. I know it's rather cut throat, but if someone is holding the team down and not doing their work in the way they are supposed to then there is no point in having them.
[20:57] <Sopo> I agree, but sometimes there aren't enough people to replace them with
[20:57] <Sopo> like with comms last term
[20:57] <Writinglegend> Like I said, people run for President with the knowledge that that is a possible happening. President's choose their Cabinet, so they should deal with the stress of having an ineffective cabinet member.
[20:57] <Brunhilde> The President selects them with trust in their ability and betraying that trust with an inability to do your job is more than enough reason to be replaced with someone that will try harder.
[20:58] <Writinglegend> Sometimes ineffective Cabinet members just need a kick up the ass and a good talking to. Other times you just can't fix them.
[20:58] <Writinglegend> Overall, it is the President's job. They picked them, put their trust in them, and need to determine when that trust run's out and they have to replace them.
[21:00] <Sopo> but this is also supposed to be a game, and a lot of our members wouldn't have the time to do an adequate job as President. it takes up more time than a part-time job, and you're more or less always on call if something goes south. it's hard to prepare yourself for such a job, and many people who might be capable just don't have the time
[21:00] <Sopo> I'm not saying this means we need to change, but these are obstacles
[21:00] <Sopo> and this is all new to the past 1-2 years
[21:01] <Sopo> its really ramped up
[21:02] <Sopo> and maybe I'm especially sensitive to this because I wasn't able to meet the expectations of the office myself, but there were extenuating circumstances as well.
[21:02] <Sopo> it's just a lot of time to put in to a hobby/game
[21:03] <Sopo> but I suppose as long as people are willing to do it and are succeeding, it's not a real problem
[21:03] <Sopo> regardless, I'd like HEM's self-electing Senate to be considered :p

The Panel discusses HEM's proposed reforms.
[21:04] <Writinglegend> What do we feel about the change HEM is proposing with the CA getting a vote in the Senate?
[21:05] <Shadowlurker> It's defiently interesting. I may be for it, given I know some more details.
[21:05] <Sopo> I don't like the idea of giving the CA a vote
[21:05] <Sopo> not sure what that's supposed to accomplish
[21:06] <Writinglegend> I've always held the opinion the CA held an invisible vote.
[21:06] <Sopo> if people in the CA want a vote they can run themselves
[21:06] <Writinglegend> The invisible vote is used via persuasion and voicing their opinions in the Grand Hall and subforum for Senate Affairs.
[21:06] == Zapperzx has joined #euro
[21:07] <Writinglegend> They don't need a physical vote to change an outcome and make their mark.
[21:07] <Zapperzx> Hello
[21:07] <Writinglegend> Hey Zapper, discussing HEM's proposed change in giving the CA a vote in the Senate.
[21:07] <Zapperzx> I like that
[21:07] <Writinglegend> As a former Senator, I can tell you it's not really necessary.
[21:08] <Writinglegend> I feel an invisible vote works best.
[21:08] <Zapperzx> What about when you have inactive members?
[21:08] <Writinglegend> Used via persuasion.
[21:08] <Zapperzx> and given that the CA is the majority then they should be given a say in laws etc..
[21:09] <Writinglegend> They can have a say in laws.
[21:09] <Writinglegend> They can run for Senate, voice their ideas and opinions in the Grand Hall, and voice their feelings in the CA subforum on Senate Matters.
[21:09] <Zapperzx> I mean they could be the tipping point for a law to be passed or declined
[21:10] <Writinglegend> They can also propose amendments and other legislative ideas to the CA itself.
[21:10] <Writinglegend> The same holds true for using an invisible vote.
[21:10] <Writinglegend> They don't need a physical vote to make their mark.
[21:12] <Sopo> the Senators are already supposed to be representatives of the people
[21:12] <Zapperzx> I guess
[21:13] <Zapperzx> I feel that if the whole CA isn't given a vote the chair should be allowed to vote like a senator as they are head of one of the houses of the legislative
[21:13] <Sopo> if we're going to reform the Senate, it should be something more meaningful... I've only had bad experiences with direct democracy, and don't really want to incorporate elements of it into our legislature
[21:13] <Brunhilde> A house without legislative power.
[21:13] <Sopo> beyond what the CA already is
[21:14] <Zapperzx> What would be a more meaningful reform?
[21:14] <Sopo> self-electing Senate? :D
[21:15] == Shadowlurker has quit [Quit: Web client closed]
[21:15] <Sopo> I really want HEM to give his whole bit on that
[21:15] <Sopo> it's an interesting and somewhat unusual idea
[21:15] <Writinglegend> Self-electing Senate?
[21:15] <Zapperzx> Are you being serious about that?
[21:15] <Sopo> it basically means that the Senate itself elects in new members, but it's more complicated than that
[21:16] <Brunhilde> That'd be terrible.
[21:16] <Zapperzx> Essentially the senators vote for the new senators?
[21:16] <Sopo> I don't really remember the details though so I'm not the best person to defend it
[21:16] <Sopo> HEM last mentioned it to me a few years ago
[21:16] <Zapperzx> taking the power out of the hands of the people and into the government
[21:17] <Brunhilde> We've already viewed as elitist, that would only make it worse.
[21:17] <Zapperzx> That is correct
[21:18] <Zapperzx> The same people would be elected all the time, people like Drecq and Kraken would stay in the senate forever and newbies wouldn't have a chance
[21:19] <Sopo> that sort of depends on how it actually works, I don't think it's quite that simple
[21:19] == erebos has quit [Ping timeout: 204 seconds]
[21:19] <Sopo> but I don't remember, so might as well move on

1 hour and thirty minutes into the election and the following is the current voting results:

Kaboomlandia2 (3.4%)
zapperzx6 (10.2%)
shufordbrian0 (0%)
Drecq11 (18.6%)
prometheus323 (5.1%)
Kraketopia10 (16.9%)
Dave220 (0%)
Shadowlurker7 (11.9%)
Brunhilde10 (16.9%)
HEM10 (16.9%)

Anumia said:
Stop pushing reform every time there's a crappy Senate term. Just elect less crappy Senators >.>
no :ph43r:

The panel tries to muster up some enthusiasm.

[23:47] <Sopo> so I think there's supposed to be panel happening
[23:47] <Sopo> any thoughts on the election?
[23:48] <fortunado> hmm. obvious front-runners are obvious?
[23:49] <Sopo> yes
[23:49] <Sopo> still holding out for Dave
[23:50] <fortunado> Well, we haven't heard from Dave since he posted his platform
[23:51] <Sopo> so he meets the qualifications for a Senator
[23:51] <Sopo> wait, he posted a platform?
[23:53] <fortunado> he hasn't... oops
[23:54] <fortunado> either way, I think anyone who stands for senate meets the qualifications for senator. It is more about the commitment to legislate for Europeia.
[23:55] <Sopo> Dave probably isn't committed
[23:55] <Sopo> shufordbrian didn't answer the rest of his questions either
[23:55] <Sopo> probably why both have 0 votes
[23:59] <fortunado> I can chop any number of those to real life issues getting in the way. I do agree that some people have not gotten off to a good start, though.
[00:01] <Sopo> well they both just got a vote

Four hours in:

Kaboomlandia 3 (3.7%)
zapperzx 9 (11%)
shufordbrian 1 (1.2%)
Drecq 14 (17.1%)
prometheus32 5 (6.1%)
Kraketopia 14 (17.1%)
Dave22 1 (1.2%)
Shadowlurker 10 (12.2%)
Brunhilde 12 (14.6%)
HEM 13 (15.9%)

Currently HEM, Brunhilde, Shadowlurker, Kraketopia, Drecq, and zapperzx would make it into the Senate. The next closest candidate, prometheus32, trails zapperzx by 4 votes.

[me] decided that shadowlurker did not get enough question-based love in his platform, so he gave him some love with the help of the audience:
[23:21] <fortunado> well, now to get rid of the other sloth :evil:
[23:21] <fortunado> where is that zapper so I can... you heard nothing.
[23:21] <Shadowlurker> I hear my dog drinking water...
[23:22] <fortunado> how adorable
[23:22] <fortunado> puppies... so cute, so very cute.
[23:22] <Shadowlurker> Well he's 80lbs and slobbers soooo
[23:22] <fortunado> ...
[23:22] <fortunado> cquestion time.
[23:22] == PhDre [webchat@pool-108-51-153-225.washdc.fios.verizon.net] has joined #euro
[23:23] <fortunado> any questions for the senator shadowlurker?
[23:23] <Shadowlurker> I ain't senator yet :p
[23:24] <fortunado> add in candidate after senator... I make silly.
[23:25] <Shadowlurker> Candidate Shadowlurker, what do you have in mind regarding Brunhilde's "bringing back sexy" platform?
[23:25] <Shadowlurker> Why thank you concerned citizen!
[23:25] <Shadowlurker> I think it is a most excellent platform!
[23:26] <fortunado> wow! that citizen seemed to have the same voice, face, and name as shadowlurker!
[23:26] <fortunado> what will you be doing to help brun, bring back sexy?
[23:27] <Shadowlurker> I will participate in any and all activities we come up with, and maybe we can convince President Writinglegend do a sexy convention.
[23:28] <fortunado> how wonderful! can we also insitute a state house for the ugly!?!
[23:28] <Shadowlurker> Hey, now the ugly have the right to participate as well. They just won't win anythin.g
[23:29] <fortunado> you are a wise man. Now on a less serious note: what do you take on the issue of Discrimination and political parties?
[23:32] <Shadowlurker> I'm not going to lie, I haven't really read the debates or the OP on the whole discrimination thing.
[23:33] <Shadowlurker> But discrimination is...bad...?
[23:33] <fortunado> fair enough.
[23:34] <fortunado> I at least like the sense of humility.
[23:35] <Shadowlurker> My apologies. I will catch myself up with it sometime within the next week.
[23:35] <fortunado> You mentioned being in euro a while back, Is there anything which has "shocked" you since your return?
[23:37] <Shadowlurker> Aye, my NS life/career started in Euro 3 years ago this July. I think the most shocking thing was that Sopo became President again. I was a Minister under him when Notolecta resigned, and Sopo wasn't regarded as a very good president way back when.
[23:38] <Shadowlurker> If memory serves me correct.
[23:38] <fortunado> alright. Things are different, some things stay the same. Right sopo? oh wait he's gone... :p *pokes fun*
[23:39] <fortunado> now for some hardlining issues *chucks figurative fastball*
[23:39] <Shadowlurker> *played baseball for 7 years*
[23:39] <Shadowlurker> :p
[23:39] <fortunado> What is your take on the controversy over Deepest House and Notolecta?
[23:40] <fortunado> could things have been differently?
[23:42] <Shadowlurker> I think Deepest House is getting his knickers in too much of a twist. Yeah, Notolecta cursed you out. If you haven't been cursed out by Notolecta, you aren't doing something right. Notolecta is just...a different person. He puts pressure on you. Not because he likes you or because he's having fun, I think genuinely Notolecta cares for Euro and wants to make sure shit is done right. If he had the time and will, he probably would be a very
[23:43] <fortunado> cut you off there.
[23:43] <Shadowlurker> Huh?
[23:43] <Jone> o.0
[23:43] <fortunado> he probably would be a very *insert whatever was missing here*
[23:44] <Shadowlurker> President.
[23:44] <Shadowlurker> good President*
[23:45] <Shadowlurker> very good President :p
[23:45] <fortunado> And now... for one more question from me.
[23:46] <fortunado> Back on the issue of Beauty convention: What do you think about people who say that beauty is subjective and cannot be viewed objectively?
[23:48] <Jone> Jackie Treehorn is an asshole man...he treats objects like women.
[23:49] <Shadowlurker> Everyone has a different view on beauty. Me and my fiance argure about this all the time; she will find one person attractive, and I won't. This literally happens with anybody she points out. I think it just depends on how you were raised, what you saw on the telly, and what your personal views are. No one is right or wrong. In my opinion, as long as you find someone who loves you, who gives a flying fuck?
[23:49] <fortunado> *claps*
[23:50] <fortunado> alright, Audience participation time: any questions for our candidate who keeps lurking from the shadows?
[23:51] <Shadowlurker> That's actually how I got my name :p I would play Call of Duty and I would just hide in the corner of the map and snipe people :p
[23:51] <Jone> Campers
[23:51] <Shadowlurker> :D
[23:51] <Jone> Alrighty candidate, I gots a question. :D
[23:51] <Shadowlurker> Okey
[23:52] <Jone> What do you see is the biggest concern in Euro at the moment? With a followup, how do you feel your candidacy can address this issue?
[23:53] <fortunado> mother****in campers. Just look at Jone, who waits in the shadows with this question he's been meaning to ask and says it at the most opportune moment. :p
[23:53] <Jone> ;3
[23:55] <Sevway> What is happening in here? O_O People are talking?
[23:56] <Shadowlurker> Honestly, I think I am not qualified to answer that question, due to my short homecoming. But, I will answer it using the past week in which I've been here as my scope. I think President WL has done a good job in the executive. He is active, most Ministers are active, and life is good there. The Judiciary is good. They're keeping busy-ish. Now the Legislative, in the time I've been back, the only thing I have seen pass into their chamber
[23:56] <Shadowlurker> If elected, I would like to go through the more important statutes in the book, and look at them for revision, with all of my fellow senators.
[23:57] <fortunado> you got cut off again: I have seen pass into their chamber (fill blank left here by word limits)
[23:57] <Shadowlurker> their chamber is the SOFA, and it is not even of their origin.
[23:58] <fortunado> ah ok.
[23:58] <Shadowlurker> We would look for outdated parts, parts that could be amended, or maybe recalling the act and writing it anew.
[23:58] <Shadowlurker> As most of our laws are older...
[23:59] <fortunado> seyway: I forcefully began shoving questions down the lurkey candidate's throat and am now watching as others do the same :p
[00:00] <fortunado> any follow-ups? or other questions the audience sees fit to cram into shadowlurker?
[00:00] <Shadowlurker> Oh, and McEntire is inactive. Like why run if you gonna disappear?
[00:00] <Jone> Who are you most looking forward to running against, and who would you want to fill the seats beside you in the senate?
[00:01] <Shadowlurker> Drecq is the only contender who I know well. I know him from other regions and I know he will be a fine Senator, so I look forward to working with him.
[00:02] <Shadowlurker> Zapper is newer as well, but seems dedicated.
[00:02] <Shadowlurker> The others, I cannot say. Just good luck to them :)
[00:02] <Jone> Diplomatic :D
[00:03] <Sevway> fortunado is forceful D:
[00:04] <fortunado> verty *eyebrowsface*
[00:05] <fortunado> good thing I made sure to tape carrot's face for that. The face,,, of eyebrowsface.
[00:05] <fortunado> further questions?
[00:05] <Sevway> video tape, or duct tape?
[00:06] <fortunado> both *eyebrowsface*
[00:06] <Sevway> xD
[00:06] <fortunado> see, it was totally worth it.
*plays footage of carrot with duct tape.*

Back