Interview: Senator Lethen

Delvetia

E-News Network - Interview Edition I

Editor: Delvetia J. V.

E-News Network: Greetings, Senator Lethen, how are you?
Lethen: I am doing well, thank you. And yourself?
E-News Network: I'm fine (although you don't consider it a feeling). *laughs*
Lethen: No I do not. Anyway, shall we move on?
E-News Network: Yes sir. What was your inspiration for the Europeia Nationalism Act?
Lethen: A few candid and private conversations with Supreme Chancellor HEM on the topic of illegal recruitment. We've both seen our fair share of it in Europeia and other regions.
E-News Network: Would the advertised region be notified about the 'advertiser' in the Europeian territory?
Lethen: In the bill, they would only be notified if the 'advertiser' were a foreign dignitary representing that region. However, I would not be surprised if the issue was sdiscuseed in private between regions.
E-News Network: Right. It looks like the Senate approves the act very well. Were you surprised about it?
Lethen: Very, actually. I expected some outcry and debate because the act touches a sensitive part of regional life. Countless regional references have been made over the past few months, and to silence them suddenly would most likely be noticed.
Also, those bleeding-heart libertarians would start nipping at my ankles because the act limited free speech a bit more and in some cases possibly removed protection reserved for Foreign Dignitaries.
Turns out I was wrong.
E-News Network: As you said, the act touches a sensitive part of Europeia life. Do you think this act should be directed to a public discussion before its approvement?
Lethen: In a perfect world, yes. But in this world, things aren't perfect. The public is very quiet, and inactive, when you think about it. They let two attempts at public legislatures die. They don't care enough to argue bills. Well, except Hyanygo. *winks*
E-News Network: Senator Lethen, what do you sincerely think about this inactivity period?
Lethen: Mixed feelings. On the one hand, yes, I understand people being busier, but on the otherhand, I wonder why, if people have become busier, they have not made attempts to find suitable men to sit in their place or serve in their office while they are away.
Quite candidly, the inactivity of Cabinet is to blame on the Cabinet ministers, myself included. We all acted more lax. The Senate activity, however, is the one that should not be frowned upon. With the lack of legislation, the Senate had nothing to do, and really shouldn't be blamed for any inactivity.
Also, I'm very displeased with the inactivity of newer members.
They are supposed to reinvigorate regions, but it seems to me that the new NationStates player cares less and less about forums and their region's innerworkings.
E-News Network: Indeed. How do you evaluate the current government? Senators, President, and Ministers?
Lethen: The President has been doing a good job and still has my loyalty and respect. I blame his woes moreso on Cabinet ministers, myself included, than I do on himself.
The Senate has done well when it has been presented with bills, but I am worrying about the freshness of the body. It is too agreeable, complacent. Regardless of who writes a bill and how nice it looks, it should still be debated and argued and inspected and ripped apart.
As per the actual government, it has been functioning, but very inconsistently. I really expected more out of Culture and Immigration after the first few days, but those hopes were dashed. The only satisfactory Minister in my opinion has been HEM, who has led the Navy successfully this term.
E-News Network: That's right. Thanks very much for the interview, Senator Lethen. Would you like to leave any message to the readers?
Lethen: Hmm...yes, I would. When you go to vote in a few days, I urge you to vote for newer members, break party lines if you must. Such things are fickle anyway, and young new blood is needed in the Legislature. And I know I am beating a dead horse and playing the part of the hypocrite, but please try to find time to recruit.
You're welcome for the interview, sir. May I inquire what paper this is for?
E-News Network: E-Network.
Lethen: Isn't that owned by Supreme Chancellor HEM?
I wasn't aware I was interviewing for that rag. *chuckles*

:creepy: <---Lethen

Not a rag then?
What part of me saying "Yes" to you saying "Rag?" makes you think that I said it isn't a rag?

Back