IMPORTANT: Harassment Investigation Findings

Malashaan

Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
They/she
On December 13, 2016, Attorney General Trinnien announced an open investigation into allegations of harassment. The Administrative Team quickly moved to take over that investigation, due to the nature of harassment as a violation of the forum Terms of Service. With the initial investigation now concluded, and as a result of our findings, we have decided to issue forum member Anumia with an indefinite administrative ban, lasting until at least January 2018, with the possibility of review following that.

It is important, first, to address why it was necessary that this investigation be carried out by the Administrative Team. It is commendable that the Roleplay Government of the region took the initiative to draw attention to these harassment allegations. However, harassment is a violation of the Terms of Service, which the Administrative Team has both a legal obligation and a legal authority to enforce. Addressing issues with serious real world implications should not be subject to the trivialities of our roleplay politics and to the limitations of our roleplay court system. Additionally, an investigation such as this requires handling evidence coming from witnesses and victims who are unwilling to or may be further traumatized by being required to testify in public. Therefore, the investigation is best performed within a forum administrative framework, which provides the most flexibility for observing such privacy considerations.

Since taking over the investigation, the Administrative Team have received testimony from over thirty people, including individuals from outside Europeia, and spanning nearly a decade. We have identified at least ten victims who have been treated unacceptably. In all cases, the people providing testimony directed us, on their own, towards Anumia as the source of this treatment. We do not feel it is appropriate to share the details, but we identified a clear pattern of behavior that led female players to feel pressured into engaging in sexually-charged activities that they were not comfortable with. Of particular concern was the power dynamic involved in many of the statements we received. We encountered consistent themes of unwanted advances arising out of purported mentoring or a NationStates family relationship, and also of victims who were relatively young and new to the region.

Anumia stated he was unaware that anyone took issue with his behavior, that it was never his intention to make female players uncomfortable, and that he will immediately stop such activity. However, regardless of his intentions, the fact remains that his actions have resulted in many female players, over the course of many years, feeling threatened within our community. A fundamental duty of the Administrative Team is making sure that Europeia is a place where all players feel safe. Therefore, we view actions that violate, intentionally or not, our members’ right to such a safe environment as completely unacceptable. Moreover, beyond simply taking punitive measures against such actions, we consider it critical that we minimize the risk of them occurring again.

In view of this, we determined that removing Anumia from the forum community for a minimum of one year was the only appropriate remedy. After this minimum period expires, and if Anumia wishes to return, the Administrative Team will review all of the information available to determine whether his return would no longer create unacceptable risks for members of our community.

We want to stress that our investigation is not closed. We received several unverified accounts and suggestions of people to speak with whom we could not reach. We will continue to investigate and, if more information comes to light, we may revise the terms of the ban. In particular, if you or anyone you know believes the harassment is continuing (e.g., through Skype or Discord) or feels that someone has been the subject of retaliation, please let us know immediately.

Additionally, we would like to ask our members to respect the anonymity of those that came forward. The nature of harassment allegations is such that victims are often nervous about speaking up. Please respect the sensitive nature of this investigation, and refrain from speculating about the identity of victims or approaching potential victims to ask them about their experiences.

Finally, this incident has highlighted is that the Administrative Team, and the region at large, were ill-prepared to handle allegations of this kind. Chief Administrator HEM will, in the coming days, be announcing a new anti-harassment protocol, to ensure that there is a clear system in place for reporting and investigating future complaints.

Thirty people. Unbelievable.

Glad to see the administrators take a hard-line stance on this matter.

I want to thank Malashaan for leading this investigation, and everyone who works to make Europeia a fun, safe place for all.

Thank you to the Admin Team for taking action on such vile behavior from such an individual in our community. It is important to highlight that such actions to females are not tolerated in this community in any form. To those that came to Administration anonymously and were victims of Anumia's disgusting actions, stay strong. What Anumia did was disturbing, and no women deserves to be treated in such a manner. You are all people I now look up to, because of the courage and strength you displayed in reporting these actions.

Admin team, from my heart, thank you for taking such a solid action.

My heart goes out to victims of this behavior.

Thank you administrators for your work on this issue. Appointing an Associate Administrator for Advocacy is good first step. Sexual harassment (or harassment of any kind) has absolutely no place in Europeia or Nationstates and Euro needs to be a safe space for all players.

Unbeknownst to many of us these victims can be (and often are) our friends-- people we interact with daily. You'd never know it because it's not something you talk about.

I want to applaud the women who had the courage to come forward and make statements. I simply cannot fathom how heartbreaking, scary, and just uncomfortable it must be to be in that position.

I also want to echo the President's sentiments in thanking the Admin team: your transparency and final decision are truly representative of the view we all share in keeping Europeia a place where all of our members can be safe and have fun.

This truly is a shocker. I want to offer my deepest sympathy to the victims and I applaud the actions the administrative team took. It was absolutely justified.

I heard whispers about Anumia behaving inappropriately, but I had no idea of the substance or scale of the situation. I'm glad this behavior is being brought into the light and punished.

I'll be making a run through of everywhere I have admin powers to ensure he isn't present in any community I curate.

Thanks for being very deliberate. This news is deeply upsetting.

As I stated when I made the statement in the AG's office, how seriously this had to be approached. I am grateful to the Admin team, in particular Malashaan, for their assistance as we transitioned this nearly from the get-go from my office into their capable hands.

But most importantly was that those involved in investigating was that we all took this with due diligence and with open minds. We cared that all were treated fairly and justly. It is important that our citizens, friends, and forum-goers, can trust in our Administration team and I applaud their fairness and the seriousness they handled this matter.

This is truly surprising to me, and horrifying. I am glad it was dealt with professionally and fairly.

Malashaan said:
In view of this, we determined that removing Anumia from the forum community for a minimum of one year was the only appropriate remedy. After this minimum period expires, and if Anumia wishes to return, the Administrative Team will review all of the information available to determine whether his return would no longer create unacceptable risks for members of our community.
A year for a decade of harassment of thirty female individuals, which makes up a large population of the active meta ns female population?
A bit of a slap on the wrist in comparison no? There are other known harassers that Euro would surely have issued a permanent ban for in such an instance.
How exactly does a former victim, residing in Euro or abroad, just get over this behavior after a year?
These are questions that should be addressed.

I do applaud the swift work of the admin team in dealing with this situation, and of course extend sympathies for those who were assaulted.

As Prime Minister of United Kingdom, I would like to extend our sincerest thoughts to those who have been affected by the behaviour of Anumia. The Government and People of United Kingdom support the actions of the Administration Team in their investigation, concluding thoughts and subsequent actions in banning Anumia for his actions.

An incredibly chilling revelation from the Europeian administrative team, but one whose conclusion will hopefully help with both closure for all of the victims and the overall safety of both Europeia and the Nationstates world as a whole. Such actions should never be tolerated amongst our Nationstates community and even as we see a resolution to this investigation, my heart goes out to all those affected.

Back