Important: deactivation of remote avatars

How are all you computer-literate people having such problems while I figured out a solution just fine? :lol:

(That works for me at least)

EDIT: Grrrr....this is really irritating now! I get the error "You are not allowed to upload that type of file as an avatar or personal photo" whenever I try to put a photo up from my iPad.
I'm seeing this as well, with an avatar that's 174x160 pixels and a jpg file.
I had that problem. I saved mine as a .png, and then it worked. Try that.
Yeah, problem for me is that you can't choose the file tag for your images when you save them to Camera Roll or convert them in any way without paid apps. I'll have to wait until I get back to my computer (left it in D.C.) on Monday to find a solution before the deadline.

If we use a third party site to post pictures in thread, does that pose the same risk?
Yes, that is true. However, given that there is no reasonable alternative to that (other than enabling file uploads for everyone, which is even worse), we will have to take that.

Also, in that case, the potential impact is much smaller: a hotlinked picture posted in a thread is only accessed by people reading that particular thread. A hotlinked picture in an avatar (or signature for that matter) is accessed whenever people read any thread where the owner of the avatar/signature has posted.
But we'll still be allowed images in our Signature?

How are all you computer-literate people having such problems while I figured out a solution just fine? :lol:

(That works for me at least)
Never, ever use that phrase again :angry:
What, you aren't computer-literate enough to be able to understand what I mean by computer-literate?

Well I, being the greatest and most awesome person, managed to get my avatar to fit 175 x 275 and be less than the KBs allowed.

Go me. For those struggling really badly...

*sighs at this idea though it seems only Gus is struggling*

PM me and I'll try to get it to fit the parameters of both pixel and file size.

If we use a third party site to post pictures in thread, does that pose the same risk?
Yes, that is true. However, given that there is no reasonable alternative to that (other than enabling file uploads for everyone, which is even worse), we will have to take that.

Also, in that case, the potential impact is much smaller: a hotlinked picture posted in a thread is only accessed by people reading that particular thread. A hotlinked picture in an avatar (or signature for that matter) is accessed whenever people read any thread where the owner of the avatar/signature has posted.
But we'll still be allowed images in our Signature?
Yes, for now :evil: ... No, seriously, banning images from signatures would be unreasonable. However, do see my comments in this post.

Regarding those complaing about the 25 KB limit. As I said, it is not something that can be increased. But, it should not need to be increased anyway. 25 KB are enough for an avatar of high enough quality to appear as pleasant as one of a size of a few MB, at the resolution the forum uses.

As for the error about types, that is an IF bug as far as I know. Try converting to png or gif, and you should not have a problem.

Gus said:
Yeah, problem for me is that you can't choose the file tag for your images when you save them to Camera Roll or convert them in any way without paid apps. I'll have to wait until I get back to my computer (left it in D.C.) on Monday to find a solution before the deadline.
We can wait for a day or two if you need more time, it is not urgent.

Finally, I have split the revolution posts into a separate thread in the Republic Square. Please do not spam posts in the Administrative Bureau.

Back