Ideas

Anumia said:
Private media was always regulated by the Ministry of Culture. It has never been under MinComm. Before MinComm existed, the EBC was -also- under Culture.

It was never actually about ideology, but it is convenient that it works out like that for some extra balance anyway.

...and, why should the MinComm be, to paraphrase, "managing the media but waiting for the MoC to move"? The MoC does the management. MinComm doesn't come into it. The Ministry of Communication is about communicating to the public (and abroad) about what the government is up to: the EBC, and foreign updates, in a nutshell. The Ministry of Culture is essentially all things cultural, with MinComm's duties now subtracted out of it: this includes the regulation of private media, which has always been under the Culture portfolio.
Seems legit. And that last phrase of mine wasn't sarcastic, I meant that :p

Now if you excuse me...

*runs off crazy eyed for the Ministry of Culture to rant about private media*

Not sure if we cover court cases but Europeia v Zenny is in recess until Monday, the case is relatively fresh and from the evidence and defendant my assumption is most of Europeia is interested in the case. President Anumia will be selecting architects and or calling for volunteers so that could be followed up on. A Thanksgiving/Holiday season article could be in the works though that sounds more in the area of a human interest piece.Perhaps an interview with our official, new WA delegate. There might be boring but important stories to cover, maybe the agreement with Lazaru expiring. The birth of the new wing in court services, the Law Review Commission, could be covered. There's a lot to take advantage of this time of year. The end of a year permits synopsis and looking ahead; with the GAP forming our future is bright. .

I was hoping someone would say those ideas so I wouldn't have to :p You're absolutely right Toasty. I'm being cautious in how the EBC handles Europeia v Zenny, as any wrong step could result in EBC in very hot water on either side. Besides covering the absolute facts of the case, I think the more opinionated coverage for it should be done by the private media. I've tried to keep the region up to date on the facts of the case through the Wire. The GAP is incredibly important, and hopefully we'll get all the major aspects covered in the series of pieces you're currently writing. I like the idea of the Thanksgiving piece, and an interview with EW would be beneficial to the region. I can handle that one personally.

Good thinking toasty!

Problem with Europeia versus Zenny is indeed picking a side.. It would be interesting to review the eventual outcome and possible responses by europeians? Ask several Europeians their opinion about the case, how it was handled and how it ended. Documentary-like. If I find the time (no promises for now though), I don't mind writing this.

Huxwells Shaw said:
Suggestions:

- clean out the MinComm and EBC forums of old threads (but ask the admin's to create the necessary archive folders)

- clean out the private media (do ask them if they want to keep it, but if they don't reply in say 48 hours, just remove it. Also, if they wish to keep it and don't post in 7 days, remove it. That includes me :p)

- As I talked about it with Kraketopia, the possible directory he/we had in mind for the EBC was to focus on three themes: EBC wire (with it's pinned thread for flash news, but also possible extended articles for important news), The Onion-like news (trolling) and Sexiest Europeian (which will perhaps also have its separate threads). I think it's a good choice to stop the reviews of movies and the like, as those belong in private outlets and blogosphere more. :) In concreto: we need to keep thinking out ways to diversify ouselves from the private media. As I told Krak, the fact that it's government-run, gives us access to certain information that private media don't. Use this!
EDIT: getting some foreign reporting would be a great idea too. Perhaps compile something out of the ambassadorial reports for easiness?

- Chose one fallout base to work from: the EBC staff room or this one. I had a talk with Kraketopia and it appears that this room seems to be better as a general fallout base. Also, I wouldn't work with separate EBC and minncomm staff.

- Get rid of the Opinion Page in the EBC (i think that's perhaps more for the private media), and consider what to do with the radio subforum. Perhaps you want to keep audio interviews and the like in there?

- I think the TG suggestions made by Mal are solid. We can see when interesting other things pop up to TG about :)
I was wondering, how are my ideas being looked into thusfar? :p

1. how's the cleanup going?
2. I'll go harras SD with questions about private media
3. Where's the sexiest europeian interview staying?
4. Did we abandon the EBC staff room for this one? If so, shouldn't we archive that staffing room?
5. Get rid of the bloody opinion page! :p
6. Haven't been following up, but I thought TGs were being looked into, right?

1. The cleanup isn't going anywhere due to admin beliefs that MinComm/EBC don't need archives. 2. Don't let him get you in that Seven Minutes closet. 3. The Sexiest Europeian Interview will occur in a new thread each time one is conducted. The current interview is being held up because it's impossible to interview the person selected. 4. We did and we didn't, and I don't think the EBC staff room needs an archive, nor should it be completely abandoned. 5. Why? 6. Artimis and I are basically handling the TG's ourselves. Anyone who wants to help out can get involved by PM'ing me.

Yeah, admins don't like it when you fuck around with stuff like that. And I've already moved on to another, don't try to tell the minister how to do his job :p

How about someone holds an interview with MD on his elections for WAD and MoFA? I think the combination is unique, especially given the fact that MD is relatively unknown in Europeian spheres.

I did have one new idea that I brought up with Krakotopia this afternoon: doing a follow up on how the Europeian University is coming along. For those that aren't up-to-date: When I arrived as a newcomer, I decided to focus mainly on reforming and revitalising the university, whilest the university had been a problematic subforum ever since Europeia came to life - it always faced likewise issues. I gave it a shot but in the end I decided to quit it as I didn't feel like I was having fun with it anymore. After that, (the brilliant) Hyanygo was assigned to the University. He posted some promising updates in the MoC, yet we haven't seen much movement after that.

I thought it would be nice to draw up a short history on the University and perhaps do an interview with Hyanygo on how things are going? Perhaps include some personal thoughts on it? As I am obviously biased in writing such a repot, I thus propose it here so someone else could write such a thing. Of course, if you like, am I as well available to make comments or answer possible questions on the subject. :)

This idea interests me. Huxwells' resignation came only a few days before my joining and the University was instantly a facet of intrigue here in Europeia. I can start researching the University's history tomorrow (later today) if I can have the interview with Hyanygo and, of course, lodging questions at Hux will probably occur (this certainly calls for a quote(s)).

Back when I was Dean, Hy had assembled a list of links to relevant posts and articles concerning the University's history. I still have viewing access and could copy-paste it, but seeing I resigned as both a Dean and a professor, that would mean breaking the law :p Nonetheless do I suggest that you ask Hy for that list, so you don't waste unnecessary time. Send Hy my greetings, haha.

Well first off, let's make sure we get the Minister's approval in writing for said project before we start engaging in said project :p I did agree it was a good idea, but there are a number of good ideas floating around in my head, and I choose carefully which ones to follow up on. That being said, I do think this is a good idea that should be covered by the EBC. I will let Toasty continue researching this project, and depending on what is found, will decide then whether or not we should publish an article about the university.

Back