HIDE and SPOILER tags

r3naissanc3r

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Please, do not use the HIDE tag anymore. Use the SPOILER tag instead, which does the same thing but only differs in appearance.

HIDE was something I had added while we were still using InvisionFree, because IF did not support a native SPOILER tag as Zetaboards does. It became redundant once we transitioned to ZB. I am not removing support for the HIDE tag because so many places in the forum are already using it. But it should be considered deprecated code, to be replaced with SPOILER everywhere.

In particular, the use of HIDE slows down page loading, and makes page rendering much worse for those that view the forum with Javascript disabled.

Um, whoops? *goes to change hide tags where she remembers having used them ... which is a lot of places*

Elias Greyjoy said:
Who uses the hide tag anyway? Bunch of peasants. :p
Anyone that would rather click once than type out a bunch? :p

Lethen said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Who uses the hide tag anyway? Bunch of peasants. :p
Fair argument. Doesn't remove your peasant status. I guess I'm just used to spoiler since that's the standard on the NS forums.

r3naissanc3r said:
Lethen said:
Good point, I should remove it from the list of clickable tags.
Was actually going to suggest that to you over Skype later today. :baghead:

Lethen said:
r3naissanc3r said:
Lethen said:
Good point, I should remove it from the list of clickable tags.
Was actually going to suggest that to you over Skype later today. :baghead:
Lethen...did something good for the region :O

HEM said:
Lethen...did something good for the region :O
[me]leaves the region forever.

I was going to make a snide joke about how useless it is to say something is deprecated and not having it enforced...and then Lethen goes and spoils everything with a sensible suggestion. GAWD.

The only way to enforce this would be to completely remove the tag, which would make several forum pages impossible to read. So, it is hardly useless. In fact, declaring features as deprecated yet continuing to support them for legacy reasons is standard practice in software development.

The fact that I remove the tag from the clickable list does not mean that it will no longer be usable. There are several tags which are not in that list, yet are perfectly usable.

Back