former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - "President Earth looks strong"
Written by HEM Tiberius

Normally many politicians have suffered from voter fatigue this far into the term, and President Earth22 is no exception. Where the exception lay is in how little her numbers have dipped since the last election. Currently her approval rating sits at 72% which is certainly a vast contrast to the approval rating of the Europeian Senate which is only at a soft 48%, with the bulk of the results in between 30 - 60%.

"This time last year, the extent to which partisan politics would have played in these polls is astronomical," Professor Paul Krugman says, "The changes that have occurred in Europeia are amazing. And I doubt there has been such a turnaround since the United States' Republican Party abandoned moderatism and reason in the early 1970s."

Running against a generic opponent, 68.5% of Europeia would vote to re-elect President Earth. 21% are unsure, while 10.5% would definitely vote for someone else. "Having only 11% or so of the population solidly against you is...not a bad base at all," Wolfe Blitzer comments, "It's clear that there is a natural affinity that the region has for the President, and that translates in this polling sample."

When placing her name against anyone else though, Earth does perform poorer at the polls. She would only narrowly beat recently retired Grand Admiral Oliver Dion Grey in a 53-47 race. Polls have he beating former President Common Sense Politics by a 58-42 margin, and she creams former Presidents Anumia and PhDre in 74-26 and 79-21 races respectively.

"When we aren't sure who will run," Blitzer says, "It's easy to place her up against former holders of her office. These statesmen are generally known and it can gauge how people feel about her compared to her predecessors. All in all, very good news for the incumbent."

The only politician who would beat Earth, actually isn't a former President at all. Skizzy Grey would defeat Earth22 with 58% of the vote compared to 42% of the vote. Though this matchup is not considered that likely.

"I don't think her own Vice President would run against her," former United Kingdom Prime Minister and ENN contributor John Major says, "I don't think Skizzy Grey runs against her. I don't think that most of the former retired crustacean Presidents run against her. I think what her opponents should worry about is that these are the big leaguers -- the elder statesmen and such -- and by and large they are being kicked around the softball field by her."

Perhaps there are two cautionary tales with this data however. "I think two arguments to be made are margin of error and the current political atmosphere," Krugman continues, "People have a few complaints with the executive but they are not being magnified to the extent that they would have been a year ago. I think that most anger is being directed at the polarizing legislature at the moment, and that despite...not really being active communicators, the Goldenblock has gotten away with a free lunch because the ship has been sailing. When we get closer to elections opponents will raise issues, and they will have their own platform. Essentially, we have an incumbent name -- a big one -- running against other names on pieces of paper."

"I actually agree with Krugman here," Major says, "I don't think Oliver Grey came close to earth because of his work as President, but because of his current work as Admiral. It was a visibility contest, and no matter who runs against her, I doubt we will see these kind of margins."

Indeed, two factors that help Earth is an easier political atmosphere (1) and lack of a constant opposition (2). As an opponent defines themselves, these numbers should come back to...dare we say it...'earth'.

"Margin of error is another discussion," Professor Krugman adds, "This poll had 19 responders, which could be about 1/2 of the electorate. We don't know who voted and who didn't. Indeed, there are numbers later in the poll including the viability of a new forum issue, or how legalistic Europeia is, that makes a big case for this poll being made up of older and more veteran members."

On other issues, 58% of Europeians see the region as stronger than 6 months ago. 32% see the region as stagnate while only 11% see the region as worse off.

58-42 the region believes that new ideas are generally not accepted within the region although 42-32 with 26% unsure the data suggests that Europeia does not think it is too complicated or legalistic for new members.

Perhaps one of the most controversial issues, 37-37 the region is split as to whether allow the City Council to have one Senate vote as proposed by Councilor HEM. 26% are unsure on the issue.

79-21 the region believes that Europeia should not consider zetaboards, while none polled suggested changing to a forum where posts could not be retained.

Finally, in one of the most pressing issues of the day, 21% of the region misses former Autokrator and Europeian Emperor, Joseph II. 37% do not, while the remainder issue some sort of bizarre profanity at the suggestion of the question.

Hallelujah, a News network. :wub:

I think one of the problems we actually are really having is "Obsesive Election Syndrome'. It's not the same form that we used to have when say, Falconias, was running but a new kind where people care enough to debate the issues but then when the term actually starts are not willing to help the administration on achieving the goals. One of my favorite quotes is "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" from Ghandi and I feel like this applies now. You're willing to be part of the community but not willing to put in even the slightest bit of effort to better it or make the changes you want to see happen.

I do wish you had gone a bit out of the box on this one, though, HEM on the political runoffs. Especially as I have not said that I'd run again. ;)

But yay for news and yay for polling, hallelujah.

True Earth, true. Ever notice how we always have great ideas and vigor at election time, and then it just sort of dies out?

My vigor for change hasn't died out personally, I'm just rather annoyed that people rant and rage and then when I ask them to help they're suddenly busy or just flat out can't.

When President Oliver Grey asked me well over a year ago to be his Foreign Minister I didn't say "No." Perhaps some say that I should have back then but the fact is holding that position even though it was short-lived helped me enter Europeia. And even back then I felt inside me that when the President asks you for something that you can do, you find a way to do it. It's what's best for Europeia, not "Let's poke holes in this administration so that we can knock it out in the next election." That's not what makes a community. Just..really, this stuff matters. Be a JM, recruit 10 nations in your spare time, great people on the forums. If you like legislation, be a Senator. And god darn it, stop getting "old-timers disease"!

We can retire if we want to. :ph43r:

But I know what you mean...I can't tell you how many times Presidents have come to me for advice on an appointment because the good choices have all disappeared thanks to various factors (in and out of our control).

I think that former Presidents are always too eager to retire, while new members are never too eager to take the first steps into public service.

Aurora's resignation got me thinking about this article. I don't think we realize just how damn good Earth is doing right now, with almost all of her Cabinet having fallen apart.

Back