Great Architecture Project

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
When I think of architecture, one word that doesn't immediately come into my head is "great". In fact, when I do think of architecture, I usually fall asleep soon after. Honestly, the only thing I really know about architecture is that I like big buttresses. Other than that, whenever somebody is pointing to a building, discussing its features and whatnot, I just nod my head and slowly wait for death's warm embrace.

Luckily for me, this article has pretty much nothing to do with architecture. In fact, I'm going to stop saying the word altogether, and start talking about the GAP, created by then-President Anumia, this ministry has seen its fair share of ups and downs. I'll be talking about the goals of the GAP, how success is being defined, and then discuss the current uproar.

First, let's lay out what the GAP hopes to achieve, according to the Foreign Cultivation Manifesto, from January of this year.

- Cultivate close and long-lasting relationships with smaller, younger regions that are still in the learning stages of regional growth to strengthen not only these regions but Europeia as a whole.

- Strengthen the principles of independence and sovereignty amongst regions while simultaneously warding off the negative influence of super-regional organisations and those NationStates powers which seek to accrue hegemonic power while offering nothing of substance to their involuntary subject regions.

- Strengthen Europeia socially, culturally, and politically through the Great Architecture Project and all of its positive side effects, which will see greater activity brought and generated within our forums from engagement with regions and the work of Architects.

- Conclude each voluntary Construction Partnership Agreement with regions that have opted into the Great Architecture Project seeing greater activity, organisation, stability, and knowledge in how to perform as a region, and therein cultivate the growth of the next generation of NationStates regions, many of which will naturally be friendly to the Republic thereafter.

To simplify this, we want to form relationships with smaller regions, spread independence, ward off super-regional influences, bring Europeia good will, and improve the regions we work with. Now, a few of these seem counter-intuitive, particularly the ones that preach the negativity of super-regional organisations, while we ourselves form a super-regional organisation, but you get the idea.

Now that we know the goals, how are we to achieve them? That's where Architects come in. We will again turn to the Manifesto to help explain what their role is.

The Architect will serve as both as teacher and student for these member regions. Those Europeians best suited to the job of Architect are experienced citizens of the Republic that often find themselves in the three branches of government, doing their jobs diligently and well above expectations. These citizens have the greatest appreciation for how we have built and maintained our success and will ideally have an understanding and appreciation of Europeian history and culture. However, this is less a harsh metric and more a general aim in our efforts to hire Architects of the highest calibre.

Architects are expected to have ideally served at least one term in the Senate and some time in Cabinet, and the Ministry of Foreign Cultivation expects all Architects to maintain an active presence on the forums of their assigned region while contributing in various ways - aiding in the drafting of legislation, offering input on executive decisions, etc. They will answer directly to the Ministry of Foreign Cultivation; be responsible to the Council; and must abide by a code of conduct and ethics to ensure the relationship between Europeia and Great Architecture Project regions is not harmed. In addition to a code of ethics, Architects will be provided with handbooks that shall be drafted and maintained by the Ministry of Foreign Cultivation, that offer guidance on how to best engage and aid member regions.

Architects will also be instrumental in serving as the face of Europeia and instructing member regions in various areas such as military training (through membership in the Europeian Republican Navy); recruitment suggestions; forum layout and management; citizenship efficiency; World Assembly classes; media growth and development; principles in legislative, judicial, and executive endeavors; career fairs; basic coding and administrative work; and spreading games and cultural activities.

Again, it looks like I need to simplify. Basically, Architects, who are experienced Europeians, will help the regions do what we do. That includes drafting legislation, helping with executive decisions, offering military training. The idea seems to be that once we have completed our work with these regions, they will be very similar to us, and therefore a better partner for us. Because, as we all know, twins and siblings never fight.

However, this is just one way to look at this. How will we know that we have actually achieved success in these regions? Again, the Manifesto has the answer.

Any regions that have been brought into the Great Architecture Project will be classified based on soft benchmarks like population; active citizen count; forum activity; and military contribution, among other things. Regions which fall out of Good Standing will also be considered unsuccessful ventures with their membership in the Great Architecture Project removed after the proper discussions.

This is actually pretty clear. We have success if we increase population, forum activity, etc. Not a lot of grey area. As far as what a region in Good Standing is,

To be in Good Standing, a region must faithfully participate within the Great Architecture Project; must not surrender their sovereignty to another power; and must maintain an acceptable level of activity during their time in the program. If a region has completed a term in the Great Architecture Project, said region is in Good Standing if they stay close to the Republic and maintain positive relations thereafter.

Regions fall out of Good Standing if they break the terms of their voluntary agreements with the Republic; join or align with unfriendly super-regional organisations or regions that seek to undermine the Republic and her interests; evict Europeian Architects without due cause or good reason; or undergo sudden political changes such as a coup or overthrow that naturally reshapes the region and could adversely affect the relationship between the region and Europeia.

However, should a region have a sudden and dramatic change in government while engaged in the Great Architecture Project, a new Construction Partnership Agreement with the Republic can be redrawn and restructured as a necessary step in maintaining positive relations.

Essentially, a region cannot abandon our attempts to help them, they cannot be inactive, they cannot be align themselves wih a super-regional organisation (except us, I suppose), they cannot force out an Architect for no good reason, and they cannot have a coup. As long as those easy steps are taken, there should be no problem.

Hopefully, we now understand how the GAP is supposed to work. In reality, things don't always work out the way you want them to, so we now have a public debate on our hands about how successful the GAP actually is. The new Foreign Cultivation Minister Ogastein has said, "Let me be clear on this point: the program has been a complete failure. Harsh? Perhaps. Fair? Likely." Now, this does not inspire much confidence in the rest of us that this program is doing well. In fact, if you still believe this program is doing well, stop. Ogastein went on to say, "We entered into construction partnership agreements with three separate regions and I can tell you with confidence that none of those regions is in a better place as a result of our work." If we can't actually improve these regions, then there is no real point, as we know, that is what the GAP is all about.

Perhaps we can still get some good will? Ogastein says, "So are we only getting good will? At this point, yes. I'm working this term to find a region that we can approach that will end up leading to a shining example of the success that can be produced by the GAP." Well, at least that's something. Ogastein went on to tell us, "Until then, we're searching through the hay barrels looking for a needle made of gold. I'm committed to finding one but I, myself, wonder if this is the best use of our time. Especially when our foreign policy could be a lot stronger." Okay, never mind. This program is a roller coaster of emotions, and I'm going to stop trying to have an opinion.

The President's response, early in the debate was, "For me the time to evaluate the GAP will be at the end of this term when we see what it can accomplish, not before we give it a chance." Now, this was before Ogastein's statement, so it is unknown if the President's views have changed. It seems, however, that unless the GAP finds the golden needle, which is looking highly unlikely by the Minister's own admission, this may be the program's last term.

To conclude, this article has talked about the GAP Manifesto, and explained it in a way we can all, hopefully, understand. We've looked at the current state of affairs, and tried to understand it. Obviously, this is a complex issue, with room for much more discussion, that this reporter would love to see. As always, I encourage any reader that wishes to find out more to look at the topic in 34 Goldenblock Avenue, "Great Architecture Project" or the topic in the Grand Hall, "The future of the GAP". Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, simply nodding his head.

Back