GraVandius Boldly Proposes Non-Binding Resolution to Archive States

GraVandius Boldly Proposes Non-Binding Resolution to Archive States
By Writinglegend

(Europeia – November 6, 2017) – The issue of the states program came to a climax today, with former Chair of the Citizens' Assembly (CA), GraVandius, proposing a Non-Binding Resolution (NBR) on governmental archiving of the states.

The states program originated three terms ago as a separate institution where newer members could gain leadership experience without the stress of our professional structure. After the founder of the program, Sopo, left for unforeseen real life reasons, the states fell into inactivity. The states program was one of the many prominent issues in the past presidential election.

Newly elected President Brunhilde has received push-back on her policy proposed with the states, which was to neither devote resources to them or kill them off completely. GraVandius had strong opinions on this policy, calling it a "total cop out" within the CA. XIV would then fiercely defend the new administration, stating that they won on the backbone of not doing anything with the states, and they should not be criticized for following their platform.

The proposed NBR follows the mindset proposed by GraVandius. The resolution boldly proclaims that, "We the People resolve that President Brunhilde should have the states program closed and archived in its entirety."

World Assembly Delegate Aexnidaral Seymour, former Minister of Radio Sopo, Chair of the Citizens' Assembly Vlaska, and Deputy Minister Ervald have all come out in support of the NBR. In contrast, former Minister of Interior XIV has come out against the agreement.

"The government is not wasting resources, it is not taking a course of action that is damaging to the republic," XIV argued, in an effort to defend the goals of the current administration. "Are we planning to start issuing non-binding resolutions every time a forum isn't shuttered in what the assembly sees as a suitable time frame?" He noted that such a path would make the Citizens' Assembly look like a "foolish" body and that the proposal was simply "silly".

XIV received immense push-back for his comments, namely his suggestion that there was similarity between the previous Festival of Marigolds forum and the current forum for the States Project. The Festival of Marigolds was a joint cultural event held between Europeia and Kantrias to celebrate their newfound bilateral relationship. The last administration left it opened for several days beyond its scheduled expiration.

Senator of Europeia and Queen of Kantrias, Kylia, came out against the assertion that there was any similarity between the two forums. "There is a difference between 'The States' and the Marigold Festival forum, XIV."

"I don't contend that there is a difference between the states project and the treaty of marigolds [sic], to do otherwise would be silly," countered XIV, leaving Deepest House visibly confused. "After the states project proved a failure and the festival ended they both became redundant forums that had no real purpose remaining on the main forum."

GraVandius would defend Kylia, commenting that the difference between the States and the former festival was "obvious".

"The states program was created to last a hypothetically indefinite amount of time," he noted, contrasting the states with the festival. "Thus, there is a clear mandate to close the Festival while there not being one with the states program."

GraVandius would continue to contend that the NBR would fill in the open mandate to close the states.

The EBC reached out to the creator of the states program, Sopo, to get his thoughts on the NBR.

"What is the value in leaving a forum to rot when you've outright promised not to make any changes or improvements to the program?" he rhetorically asked, visibly against the current policy by the administration. "I'm a big fan of the idea and still am, but let it die with dignity if you won't save it."

President Brunhilde and Vice President Rach have yet to comment on the Non-Binding Resolution. The administration has not showed any signs of altering their proposed policy for the states.

Or ... “Region Consumed with Gigantic Procedural Circle-Jerk.”

(Is “circle-jerk” supposed to be hyphenated?)

On topic, I’ll probably vote for GraV’s nonbinding resolution, but I won’t be upset if it passes and Brun ignores it. I don’t understand the amount of heat we’re generating on this issue.

Skizzy Grey said:
Or ... “Region Consumed with Gigantic Procedural Circle-Jerk.”

(Is “circle-jerk” supposed to be hyphenated?)

On topic, I’ll probably vote for GraV’s nonbinding resolution, but I won’t be upset if it passes and Brun ignores it. I don’t understand the amount of heat we’re generating on this issue.
So far nothing else has happened to agitate interest.

I don't see a lot of heat. So far all the arguments have been everyone vs. Xiv, who only opposes specifically the the nbr but supports the closing of the states program.

I think the EBC article and subsequent attention stems not from the fact that there is a lot of controversy on the issue but that a Non-Binding Resolution is a rare and unusual occurrence in the region.

GraVandius said:
I don't see a lot of heat. So far all the arguments have been everyone vs. Xiv, who only opposes specifically the the nbr but supports the closing of the states program.

I think the EBC article stems not from the fact that there is a lot of controversy on the issue but that a Non-Binding Resolution is a rare and unusual occurrence in the region.
I pretty much agree with this, but as we've seen before in CA votes with proposals where I'm the only person arguing a side, I tend to have a lot of silent support; so I wouldn't classify it as 'everyone vs me'.

And I'm also not that strictly opposed to it; I just think it's a waste of time. I'm not going to lose sleep over it even if I am the only one who opposes it.

Kylia Quilor said:
If it's a waste of time why argue so hard against it :p
XIV can speak for himself, but I think the broader question is whether debating and voting on non-binding resolutions expressing the sense of the Citizens’ Assembly on matters that our system entrusts to the Executive Branch is a good use of the CA’s time.

Personally, I wouldn’t like it to become a regular thing (because the CA’s role in drafting pre-legislation is important and should be its primary focus), but I’m okay with it in this specific instance. The States Project is at a crossroads of sorts, and GraV sensed that public opinion was in a different place than the region’s leadership, so he’s bringing public opinion on the issue to the fore.

Kylia Quilor said:
If it's a waste of time why argue so hard against it :p
In part Skizzy is right; I don't think NBRs are a good use of the CA's time. In part it was because I wanted to figure out how I felt about the matter, and arguing against it helped clarify that for me. But also part of it was that I was curious why it's a big deal now, when the answer is the same as it was during Brun's campaign and nobody seemed to care much then.

I've figured out where I stand now, I haven't figured out why other people care more now than they did during the campaign.

PhDre said:
Kylia Quilor said:
Boldly proposes non binding resolution - there's nothing bold about an NBR.
I can imagine a bold NBR.
NBR

You're welcome.

Kuramia said:
PhDre said:
Kylia Quilor said:
Boldly proposes non binding resolution - there's nothing bold about an NBR.
I can imagine a bold NBR.
NBR

You're welcome.
I laughed WAY too hard at this. Thank you.

I agree with Skizzy wholeheartedly on the subject. NBRs aren't something that the CA should do regularly, for a multitude of reasons, including that they matter a little less every time we do one, so if they become regular people start to get particularly 'meh' about them. On the other hand, this is the right time to do them. GraVandius feels that The People (in the form of the Citizens' Assembly) wants to send a message to the current administration. This is exactly how to do that.

I'm not as certain Darc, they do provide an interesting source of activity. It would be even more interesting if the Senate were to get involved in such resolution matters. On my phone but it would be interesting to see where we could take them.

The Senate has also flirted with the idea of good progress and relevancy. Doesn't mean we should abandon both.

Back