Formatted Debate Transcript

Probably still not perfect for reading, but thanks to Hy for doing this. :)

Sopo Let's go over the rules
Mousebumples and someone is planning to save/post a transcript?
Sopo Firstly, only participants and the moderator are allowed/able to post in this chat
Sopo yes
Sopo I'll save it
Sopo If anyone has any questions, feel free to send them to me on skype/IRC pm/ or forum pm, though I'm more likely to notice quickly the former two
Sopo The debate will consist of foreign policy and navy questions first, followed by a brief intermission (if needed) and then domestic questions
Sopo each candidate will have an opportunity to answer each question. once your answer is complete, please follow it with (done)
Sopo once all candidates have answered, there will be time for discussion among the candidates, structured as need be
Sopo any questions?
Mousebumples are we answering the questions in any particular order, or - to save time - is it something of a free for all?
SevenDeaths Negative bossman.
Mousebumples (i.e. SD, Noto, then Mouse, or vice versa, etc.)
Sopo there will be an order, otherwise answers could be jumbled
Notolecta Can I be last or first.
Sopo would you prefer for the order to stay the same the whole time or changed per question?
* Mousebumples doesn't care
SevenDeaths I've no hard feelings either way
Sopo for the sake of simplicity then, for the first section, we'll go Noto-Mouse-SD
Sopo fair?
Notolecta that works
Mousebumples works for me
Mousebumples order of standing
SevenDeaths Aye, tis fair
Sopo ok
Sopo unless anyone has any further qualms, we can begin
* Mousebumples approves
Sopo ok
Sopo let's begin!
Sopo Firstly, thank you all for being here. Good luck.
Sopo I'm going to start with a question from the gallery.
Sopo The GAP has been a, rather, large controversy in previous elections about whether it "drains our resources" or whether "our resources are put to good use". What will you do with the GAP, and why do you feel this is the best course of action?
Sopo again, the response order is Noto-Mouse-SD. Please include (done) at the end of your answer so the next candidate knows to begin
Notolecta As I've stated previously I plan to remove the GAP name and move away from the focus on region building the GAP has while continuing to nuture and build relationships with younger or smaller regions. I like to think of this as deformalizing the GAP, and believe this will allow us to continue getting the benefits of relations with young regions without the negitives of a region building project.
Notolecta Done.
Sopo Mouse is next.
Mousebumples I talked about this some in my platform, but I'll happily recap it here. I think the GAP is appropriate where it currently is - within Foreign Affairs. I view the GAP (and the assigning of an architect to a region) as a slight off-shoot of current procedure for regions that we send ambassadors to. Just, in this case, we're sending a specially qualified ambassador to the region to help them get things off the ground,
Mousebumples so to speak. I don't plan to specially seek out any new GAP regions during my term, but I am open to discussing possible GAP agreements if they arise through other methods. (i.e. a region contacts me, my MoFA, an ambassador, etc., about possibly having some help with that sort of thing) I don't know that this method would use much of our "resources," so I think saying that it "drains our resources" is an
Mousebumples overstatement. I feel that serving as an architect for a region is a good way to be friendly and helpful to the outside (NationStates) world and build up our reputation abroad. (done)
Sopo and now SD.
SevenDeaths GAPs are meant to be filled and my tenure as President would see just that. When the GAP first popped up, it received mixed reactions, but had been able to show everyone it's usefulness. At least for the time being. I believe that usefulness has long since passed. Yes, we reached an agreement recently with a fledgling Empire, but that is by no means a rationale for something that has seen no real success other than that. I wil
SevenDeaths (done)
Mousebumples (your message was cut off - are you really done?)
SevenDeaths Where did it cut off at? It shows the whole thing for me.
Mousebumples "I wil"
Sopo (I wil...)
SevenDeaths I will close the GAP and shelf it.
SevenDeaths (done)
Sopo ok
Sopo If anyone would like to rebut, go ahead, in the same order for now
Sopo so Noto first
Mousebumples can i ask noto to clarify? or is that a "rebut" thing?
Notolecta I would assume we can ask questions of one another during our own turns.
Mousebumples ok
* Mousebumples will wait for her turn then
Sopo Noto is correct
Notolecta I don't believe me and mouse are that far apart, both of us are willing to continue aiding smaller regions, but I have a feeling that interactions with smaller regions will remain focused on the region building aspect. She can clarify otherwise now if she wishes before I touch on SD.
Mousebumples that was more my question for you
Mousebumples Noto, what do you view as the difference between “region building” and “nurturing and building relationships with younger or smaller regions” ? What do we do now that we wouldn't do under your plan?
Mousebumples to me, it seems like you'd continue everything, except you maybe wouldn't call it "GAP"
Mousebumples so if there's anything in particular that you were planning to discontinue, i wanted to clarify that
Notolecta To me region building is more focused on helping that region grow and on internal matters. I would simply treat them more like other regions(of course they are still going to get treated individually as we would with any region).
Notolecta Ultimately none of the current practices would be off the table, but they would be set aside for regions that request them rather than approaching regions for the purpose of helping them in such ways.
Mousebumples okay, and the big difference i see there is that so many smaller regions don't know what to do and how to conduct matters to grow their region. that's why i think the GAP is useful, even if we call it something else. if a smaller region comes to us and wants to establish forum relations, if their forum/region goes poof in 2 months, why did we not try to help them succeed rather than avoiding the region building
Mousebumples aspect on principle?
Mousebumples and, yes, we're the same in that regard - i'm not planning to actively seek out any such relationships, but if someone comes to us and asks for help (not that they have to say GAP ME, PLZ), that's when i would look to establish a new GAP agreement
Notolecta Because of a certian attitude that what I am calling region building presents.
Mousebumples but then you said that you would do said region building if approached to help with that?
Mousebumples or is it all a "term" thing? you just wouldn't call it region building because the terms we use make that much of a difference?
Notolecta When that is our main intent in our dealings it causes us to target regions that are in bad shape.
Notolecta I trhink you are misunderstanding.
Mousebumples but if we're not _targeting_ regions - they're coming to us - why does it matter whether it's called "region building" or something else?
Notolecta I am talking about when that becomes the focus of our relationship with the region, when the relationship itself should be the focus.
Mousebumples do you not build a relationship through helping a region build themselves up?
Notolecta I don't think we are far off from one another, but we are off from what is current.
Mousebumples yes
Mousebumples okay, let's focus on SD's response so he doesn't feel ignored?
Sopo go ahead
SevenDeaths Yes, hit me.
Mousebumples SD, do you mean that you will void or not honor the agreement with the latest GAP region? If yes, how do you think such an action will reflect on our region internationally?
Sopo but let's try to wrap this up quickly so we can move on
Notolecta So for SD my concern is why should we not keep the option open?
SevenDeaths @Mouse. I mean that I will, from the day I win, cease making GAP Agreements. Any made before me shall still be considered valid.
Mousebumples ok
SevenDeaths @Noto. GAP as an institution hasn't been all that effective. If there were such a great call for it, perhaps we'd be rolling around in GAP agreements, but we aren't. If someone asks us for help and we think, as an Administration we can provide it, then why not do so because we can and no because there's a GAP.
Mousebumples so you're not opposed to providing architect-like guidance from your administration - you just wouldn't call it GAP and wouldn't reach out to regions yourself? (i.e. as an administration)
SevenDeaths Any follow ups?
Mousebumples if that's the case, i really don't think we're far off at all
Sopo SD, do you have anything for them? if not, we'll move on
SevenDeaths Yeah, basically. But only if they ask and if they ask, we'll handle it. But GAP is just not working.
SevenDeaths I'm set
Sopo Ok, next question
SevenDeaths Nothing from me.
Sopo President Malashaan recently pulled away from the idea of an "international paper" in favor of focusing on EON to distribute media abroad. Would developing an international paper be a focus during your term? How do you plan to develop EON?
Sopo again, Noto-Mouse-SD
Notolecta I feel Malashaan made the right call. We do not have enough authors familar with internationally revelevent matters at this time to run an international paper.
Sopo finished, Noto?
Notolecta For the EON my main focus at least early on would be reaching out to potential authors foreign and domestic that either already are familar with international matters or are willing to take a shot at keeping up with such matters.
Notolecta (done)
Mousebumples I was obviously involved in that decision making, as a part of Mal's administration, and while I would like Euro to have an international paper, this next term (for me, if elected), will be about setting the groundwork for an international paper in 2015. Whether I run for a second term, or only have one term and someone else follows me, I think we need to do work before we can successfully produce an international
Mousebumples paper.
Mousebumples We haven't produced a Foreign Update in _months_. That's not to say that a Foreign Update is the same as an International Paper, but if we can step up our Foreign Update frequency in the coming term, that will help. I also hope that the continued development of EON will benefit our foreign newswriting staff, to help us develop the skills and talents of writers that would contribute to an International Paper.
Mousebumples I want to see an International Paper, and I hope that we can make strides in the coming term to come closer to being able to successfully produce such an endeavor in the future. A large part of this depends on how responsive the Europeian public is to producing articles with an international flavor. In Europeia, we tend to be very focused on regional matters on the Europeian forums and the like. That's great for our
Mousebumples internal affairs, but less helpful when we're trying to make a splash on the international stage.
Mousebumples If elected, I plan to challenge the editors of Private Media (and citizens without newspapers) to cover both national, regional, and international matters to help us better develop our skills regarding foreign affairs moving forward.
Mousebumples (done)
SevenDeaths Rach and I have talked. We've decided that we'll tempt Unibot over to our side with bacon and syrup and have him work together with Rach to create an International paper that not only rivals TRT, but beats it in the number of bikini pics it contains.
SevenDeaths (done)
Sopo anyone wish to rebuttal?
Notolecta I would like to adress rachel's comments on foreign updates.
Mousebumples i wonder if SD has a serious answer he wishes to put forth?
Sopo Noto, go ahead
Sopo then we can address SD
Notolecta Foreign updates are a seperate matter from an international paper due to the focus of content being on internal matters rather than external matters, The two are not really comperable for that reason.
Mousebumples And to clarify, on my end, the reason i referenced foreign updates is because i don't think that we can be expected to publish frequently re: international issues if we can't even write about ourselves more than every 3-4 months
Notolecta We can now move on to SD, who I would also like a serious response from.
SevenDeaths In all seriousness, I don't see much difference between the International Paper and EON. If we can't do one, how can we do the other? Both would put major focus on International news over regional so if the only difference is that the EAAC has to play committee for a paper, leave the EAAC out of it and go with the paper.
SevenDeaths Sorry, that was all I had.
Sopo any more for rebuttals? I will address foreign updates in the next question
Sopo Hi prometheus
Sopo Let's take a quick break so I can explain the rules to him
prometheus3 Hello, huys.
Sopo OK, welcome to the preisdential debate. We've already covered a few foreign policy issues, and we'll continue once I explain the rules.
Sopo Only candidates and the moderator (me) are allowed to post in this chatroom. commentary occurs in #euro
Sopo we are first covering foreign policy questions, and then domestic questions
Sopo each candidate has an opportunity to answer in the order of Notolecta-Mouse-SD-prometheus
Sopo once your answer is complete, please include (done) so we know
Sopo after all answers are given, I will provide an opportunity for rebuttal
Sopo any questions?
prometheus3 No.
Notolecta do we want to give prometheus a chance to answe the two questions already covered?
prometheus3 How?
Sopo That sounds fair
Mousebumples why don't we send him the questions via PM
Mousebumples and then they can be edited into the transcript
Mousebumples just to move things along more so SD can get to work on time
Sopo I don't really want to hold up the debate though
Sopo yeah, he can answer them afterwards
prometheus3 SOunds good to me.
Sopo OK
Sopo next question!
Mousebumples is prometheus3 going at the end of the line?
Notolecta Yes he mentioned that above.
Sopo There's just been some discussion of foreign updates in the peanut gallery. We've had issues putting them out consistently. How often can we expect you to put out a foreign update during your term? What is the importance/significance of the foreign update? Are there any changes you would make to how we currently draft and deliver them?
Sopo Noto-Mouse-SD-prometheus
Notolecta As mentioned in my platform unde my administration the Foreign Update would be under the lead of comm which I expect will increase the quality of the content snce my Comm minister will be someone specializing in writing.
Notolecta Further I intend to have a specific or multiple specific AM's assigned to work on the Update since I believe a large factor that contributed to the lack of updates recently was the fact that it was not properly delegated to other individuals.
Notolecta My hope is that if individuals are assigned certain articles it will be easier to produce content on a regular basis than having one person do it, especially when that person has recently also had a lot of other matters to tend to.
Notolecta (done)
Mousebumples I plan to aim to have at least one Foreign Update a month, at minimum. Optimally, I'd like to have more, but I also don't want to make promises that my MoFA will then have to keep.
Mousebumples One of the big changes that I plan to make is to also publish the foreign update via Dispatch, to allow us to notify regions that we're not currently affiliated with of what's all going on. Further, a lot of the materials that we currently dispatch (through MinComm) are appropriate for the foreign update … just perhaps with a bit less GIF'ing or inside jokes about Taylor Swift. (sorry Calvin and Haley) If w
Mousebumples e repurpose content that we're already producing at a steady basis, we have the base content for our Foreign Updates already.
Mousebumples Additionally, we don't need to have super-long Foreign Updates. I'd be happy to distribute a Foreign Updates that contains maybe a good account of one or two important events. Similar to the international paper, by the time we get enough “stuff” ready to publish, a lot of it may already be out of date. We also have a number of ambassadors in the FA program that could be tasked with writing articles or profi
Mousebumples les or … whatever other content that could also be used in the Foreign Update.
Mousebumples As to “what is the importance/significance” - it's a good way to distribute information about the opportunities and events on-going in Europeia. I'd hope that there is some feedback and commentary in the regions we post the updates in (although, I'll admit, that may be too much to hope for), and that more frequent updates give our ambassadors more opportunities to engage and interact with the natives in whate
Mousebumples ver region(s) they're assigned to.
Mousebumples (done)
SevenDeaths FA Updates are more of a token gesture of activity. You'll get the rare person or three who actually reads them, but for the most part they go unnoticed. For instance, I'm looking at the last Euro FA update from the sixth of this month and it's nothing but Senate election and a list of raids.
SevenDeaths Stuff that is already known by anyone who cares. FA Updates can be a useful recruitment tool if used correctly. So, I'd aim to get one out at least once a month(that's been a good time frame that's always worked for Albion) and focus more on things that would be of interest instead of making an entire update out of raids and elections
SevenDeaths I should mention the small bit about EPR at the bottom of it, which should have been center stage
SevenDeaths That's what I'd focus on. (done_
Sopo now prometheus
prometheus3 The FA Updates are good updates to have on FA's. Unfortunately, most people won't read them much.
Mousebumples (when you're done, remember to say (done))
prometheus3 What I aim to do is to put them in a format that catches the interests of the majority, and write down the important points in the dispatch.
prometheus3 I will post at least one update a month (done).
Sopo any rebuttals? starting with Noto
Notolecta For both SD and prometheus, how do you intend to increases frequency. I agree with SD that a better variety of topics would be good, but it doesn't adress the problem we've actually been having which is freqeuncy.
SevenDeaths Writing a Foreign update isn't hard. If you make it out to be something it is, than it will fail. One person can write an update over a period of a few days with little stress.
Sopo Prometheus?
SevenDeaths Also, short on topics? Make up some funny stuff. Drop some Faux News in there
Notolecta Then why haven't we been getting them out? If there is nothing wrong with how we are doing it now, why isn't it working?
SevenDeaths Clearly there is something wrong with what we're doing now. If it's a lack of leadership on the Minister's side, I don't know. I'm not an Ambassador at the moment and not privy to that.
SevenDeaths It's also possible that the lines between Dispatch and FA Update is blurred and we're possibly spending a bit too much time on Dispatches.
Mousebumples But they're done by different areas. Right now FU is under FA, and Dispatches are Comm. Why would one affect the other?
SevenDeaths I'd answer by asking how much overlap there is between the two ministries? Is it easier to write for a Dispatch than for an Update? People will choose the easier path every time.
Sopo quickly wrap up any rebuttals so we can move on
Mousebumples i think dispatch content can easily be repurposed to FU content and used for both, as i stated above
SevenDeaths Great. Then do it.
Sopo Ok, let's move on
Sopo The Navy has seen an uptick in recruitment and actual raids this term. How do you plan to utilize the Navy during your term? What plans do you have for training and recruitment?
Notolecta My main goal for the Navy is to see an increase in cooperative operations if possible, especially one's with us in the lead role. I would also like to greatly bolster our volunteer numbers to allow for us to participate in holds and have active operations at the time.
Notolecta I have multiple plans for increased recruitment efforts, however making them clear may allow for easier infiltration, so I will avoid specifics for now.
Notolecta Continued efforts to train sailors to lead operations are definitely needed and I believe that our current course, which has produced two new sailors with those abilities is the right one in that effect.
Notolecta (done)
Mousebumples I'd like to see multiple commanders within our Navy leading missions, continuing to reinforce the skills they've already learned and ensuring that we will not be dependent on a single commander in the near future. I've also talked with my GA nominee about continuing the training that Kraken has started this term.
Mousebumples We will also work on refining our liberation skills as well as the more raiding-focused skills. Yes, most of our allies tend to engage in raid-style efforts, but we are an independent region and should not be limited in what sort of missions we can engage in by our limitations in skills and training regarding defender-related skills. I don't plan to make liberations our primary focus, but I would like to see some
Mousebumples further development in this area. Of course, we would not work to liberate regions that are held by our allies, but we need to ensure that we have a military force that is capable of acting with defenders or raiders, depending on which side best serves our interests, internationally.
Mousebumples So far as recruitment goes, I'd like to see a Navy-related portion added to the current dispatch re: WA FAQ that's pinned below our WFE. I'd also like to see more dispatches published about the Navy, similar to the posts posted in the Octagon after a successful raid. We've also had a number of nations in the region respond positively when asked about the Navy in various MousePolls conducted gameside, and I believe
Mousebumples further gameside recruitment will be beneficial.
Mousebumples (done)
SevenDeaths I'd rewrite everything that the two above me said, but that'd just be ridiculous. I want what has been wanted of the navy every term since Raiding existed. More leaders capable of triggering and more joint operations. I'd only want more tags
SevenDeaths as far as they're needed. When it comes right down to it, tag raids are nothing more than training exercises for the bigger fish. The holds of larger more storied regions. Like Canada.
SevenDeaths (done)
Sopo and finally, prometheus
prometheus3 I would like to see a few branches of the Navy specializing in Spec Ops. That way, when we need to liberate regions not held by our allies, they can go in and potentially weaken the grasp the larger region has on the smaller region. I would also like to see more joint operations and better formations to defend and attack, when the need arises.
Sopo done?
prometheus3 As for recruitment, we will want to say something along the lines of, "if you join the ERN, you will be with the x-number of regions taking the fight to make the world free." We need a gimmick to bring in new recruits. Why not have some slight special priviliage for the people in the Navy?
prometheus3 (done)
Sopo Free for all on rebuttals.
Sopo Just go for it.
SevenDeaths Prometheus, could you explain your experience with actual R/D gameplay?
Mousebumples SD: you seem very raiding focussed. do you plan to change our FA focus from being an independent region to being a raiding region, if elected?
prometheus3 I have little R/D gameplay, unfortunately.
prometheus3 ALso, SD, why do you lean more on raiding?
SevenDeaths @Mouse: That's an interesting prospect, but I believe such a step coming off the heels of the Independent Conference would be a horrible idea. Independence works for Euro and my experience lies with raiding so yeah, I'm raiding focused.
Mousebumples okay, that makes sense
prometheus3 Good point.
Mousebumples next question?
Sopo Ok.
SevenDeaths @Prom: I've never been anything else. I started R/D in Euro which, while being Independent, never taught me anything other than raiding. My only other experience comes from being in the UIAF which is obviously Imperialist. Plus, raiding is just more fun.
Sopo quick poll of the candidates, would you like another FA/Navy question, or move on to domestic?
prometheus3 Domestic.
Mousebumples i have no preference, but i think SD needs to go in a little over an hour
Sopo probably best to move on then
Notolecta If we have any other significant FA/navy qeustions go with that
SevenDeaths Aye, an hour and seven minutes to be exact. I'm good with either
Sopo ok.
Notolecta FA/Navy is far more varying than domestic affairs and a stronger topic of importance in elections.
Mousebumples we can always continue some domestic questions after SD leaves and ask him those over PM, i suppose
prometheus3 Yeah, I agree.
Sopo Final FA question from the gallery: With Sopo recently publishing an article on our foreign affairs, what will you do to ensure more foreign information is public, and discussed as a community? What do you make of his proposals?
* Mousebumples goes to find sopo's official proposals
Sopo http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/8923497/2/
Sopo for reference if you need it
Sopo and the question was from WL. Feel free to focus on the broader first part of the question rather than my specific proposals
Notolecta I fully intend to have the EAAC release some public statements, largely in the vein of making sure our positions on matters of Foriegn Affairs are clearly understood. I also have long agreed with the concept of expanding the variety of veiws in the EAAC, and fully intend for that to occur.
Notolecta Other points of the proposal specifically having a member of the EBC on the EAAC and having the grand hall go private so we can discuss more sensitive FA matters sound good, but aren't entirely practical.
Notolecta If there is an EBC member that has value as a FA adviser he should be on the EAAC of course, but I don't believe we should put a member of the EBC on there out of a rule of some sort.
Notolecta On expanding some more sensitive matters to the GH, the problem is citizenship is not hard to obtain, so the risk of leaks would be great.(done)
Mousebumples I would like to see more discussions in public, and I would hope that the publishing of EON articles (with a decidedly more international flavor) in the region will help, to a point. However, I like the recent FA-related discussions that we've had in both Sopo's paper and in the Grand Hall. I can understand that the individuals in charge at that time don't appreciate being questioned on such decisions in public, but
Mousebumples I think that the discussions as a whole will be moving things forward FA knowledge within the region.
Mousebumples I'd like to see similar discussions in the future – although, I'd obviously love to hope that my term, if elected, won't have any controversies of that nature that need to be brought to light. Still, I think it would be useful to have discussions about the historical nature of some of our relationships with regions to give the average citizen more insight into _why_ we have a close relationship with Region-A.
Mousebumples I hope to add a new voice or two to EAAC, if elected, and I'm open to sharing more information (re: public statements) as well. Similar to Noto, I don't believe in appointing MinComm to EAAC because he's MinComm. However, I would work with the members of EAAC to perhaps nominate an individual in EAAC to be in charge of determining what can be disseminated publicly – or, what should have a Canada-style threa
Mousebumples d started on it within the Grand Hall.
Mousebumples I also plan to start a thread regarding “where should public FA discussions happen?” in the Grand Hall, if elected. I would be open to creating a new subforum in the Oval Room – with masking to allow citizen posting and viewing only – if that's the preference of the region. Of course, it's not difficult to get citizenship, so it's possible we could also have some external infiltration in such discussio
Mousebumples ns. As such, I don't expect to do away with the EAAC entirely by any means and would strenuously resist such attempts during my administration.
Mousebumples (done)
SevenDeaths Having relied on the EAAC in the past, I was incredibly grateful for the wealth of knowledge and insight that we had all in one group. I believe that there are some FA aspects should be discussed more openly however. These would include
SevenDeaths such items that affect the entire region as a whole. Public items such as the Canada thing that are easily picked up on through FA Updates from other regions or a brief perusal through GP.
SevenDeaths That's not to say everything should be made public but the MoFA and EAAC should be able to figure out what exactly can be made public and what can't, like the release back in July. As for appointing someone to the EAAC to "represent" the EBC, I'm torn.
SevenDeaths On one hand, it isn't a terrible idea, but on the other, if their only motivation is to dispense approved FA topics to the region at large, the EAAC with the Prez can handle that already. (done)
prometheus3 I won't expect to dissolve the EAAC or EBC. They both are beneficial to our region.
prometheus3 First of all, there will be discussions that will be public. I will make sure that the FA discussions that should be under wraps remain under wraps.
Sopo done?
Sopo As a follow-up to all candidates?
prometheus3 As for the issue with the citizenship being a way for leaks to occur on more sensitive FA discussions, the way to obtain citizenship should be slightly more difficult to obtain. Before new nations become citizens, they should take an oath saying that they will not leak any info on sensitive FA issues (if they
Sopo oh. uh. sorry. that's not a question
prometheus3 I actuallly wasn't finished.
Sopo sorry about that
prometheus3 In conclusion, nations that leak sensitive information should lose citizenship for a month or two.
prometheus3 (done)
Sopo As a follow up to all candidates, does the controversy surrounding TSP and the Independence Convention fall into "EAAC-only" or "public discussion?" If another such issue arose, how would you handle it?
Mousebumples in order again?
Sopo yes
Notolecta I think handling the matter is largely up to the EAAC, but the REgion should have been better breifed so it could have had discussions if it wished. I'm not going to say how I'd handle a similar situation because even small detials could affect how such a matter needs to be handled.
Notolecta I also was not directly involved and do not have a perfect picutre of eactly what went down since it's unclear what all infromation that is floating around is accurate and what hasn't come out.
Notolecta (done)
Mousebumples Agreed with Noto. It's hard to say how I'd handle a “similar situation” because in NS FA affairs, no two situations are alike. I understand why Kraken didn't broach the issue with the region when the Convention was on-going, and it's possible that there were more factors in play that I was not (and am not) privy to, as I was not President at that time.
Mousebumples As stated above, I'd like to have more regional discussions on FA, and if a similar event of some nature were to happen, I would hope that there would be some material that I could disseminate, publicly. (done)
SevenDeaths I'm going to be entirely honest, I have no idea what the controversy was surrounding, aside from the brief details I received after the question was asked. However, I'd echo Mouse's comments and say that I hope there would be something to give to the the rest of the region to mull over.
SevenDeaths But, I'd definitely try to keep the situation from boiling over as much as possible. (done)
prometheus3 Agreed with Mouse. However, if another issue arose, and the EAAC is unable to decide on an issue, it should be the public's decision. But, the situation should be taken care of in the most peaceful way and use violence as a last resort (done)
Mousebumples i have no rebuttals or followups, btw

Sopo Ok. I'm going to skip the rebuttals and move on to the domestic questions.
Sopo The new order for responses will be SD-prometheus-Mouse-Noto. acceptable?
prometheus3 Yes.
Sopo (SD, leave when you need to, we'll send you the questions afterwards)
Mousebumples works for me
SevenDeaths Works for me. I have about a half hour, but I'll drop a line when I leave.
Sopo ok
Sopo We'll start with this fun little diddy from Rachel: Given the lack of charisma and personality in the Oval Office currently, will you be more inspiring as a leader should you be elected?
SevenDeaths Well, as everyone knows I have quite the charming personality. ;) I'll be a fun and youthful voice in the Oval Office throwing manic parties on the weekdays and sleeping in on the weekends. People will want to follow me not just because I'm President, not just because I have beer, but because I am awesome.
SevenDeaths (done)
prometheus3 I will aspire to be more inspirational. I won't be a ROnald Reagan, JFK, or FDR, but I will be more into the now. I will be strict when I need to and relaxed when I need to.
prometheus3 (done)
Mousebumples *wonders if she should consider Rach's question an indictment on herself personally or on Mal individually*
Mousebumples Anyhow, I don't think I've been “uninspiring” as a leader in the Vice Presidency, as one of my speeches encouraged multiple newcomers to run for the Senate in the last Senate elections. Since it's a poorly worded question meant to make the respondent accept the mistaken premise of the question, that the current Oval Office occupant(s) have lacked charisma and personality, I reject the premise and will instead
Mousebumples say that Mal and I will continue to lead and inspire Europeia, if elected, in the coming term.
Mousebumples (done)
Notolecta I lead by doing not by saying. I'm going to focus on getting shit done and if people don't like that because I'm not charismatic enough, I really don't want to see the region they want where only charisma and personality matters.
Notolecta (done)
Sopo I don't think rebuttals are necessary here. Moving on
Sopo WL asks, Integration has been a large concern this past term, and we are seeing newcomers gradually become inactive. What will you do to ensure newcomers are integrate and become more involved within Europeia? What will you do to ensure they have a better chance of staying active?
SevenDeaths The only thing one can do to ensure newcomers stay active is give them stuff to do. Fun stuff. People don't always join a forum just to talk and in some ways, Euro is a region for those already integrated. I really enjoy the weekly games that have cropped recently and I think
SevenDeaths those are excellent ways t start. Indeed, they have even brought people to the forums. Making new members seem welcome and giving them a wide variety of stuff to do is by far the way to go here. (done I suppose)
prometheus3 I agree with SD, but there should also be weekly contests for newcomers and veterans. Maybe there can be a contest in which the winner can be the president's adviser for a day? Although, now that I think of it, maybe the contests will be more spaced out. (done)
Mousebumples I've mentioned this in my platform, regarding my proposed changes to the AM/JM/whatever you want to call it system.
Mousebumples I'd like to see my appointed Ministers working more closely with the AMs to assign specific jobs and tasks, in line with the stated interests and skills of the AM in question. I'd also like to see my Ministers sending out PMs on occasion to their assigned AMs when there is a new event or project that needs their attention.
Mousebumples Lastly, this is not under the purview of the Pres/VP, but I'd like to give a special shout out to Calvin. He has done a great job of reinvigorating the Citizen's Assembly this term, and I've seen a number of newcomers get involved there and then spread their activity out in other parts of the forum. It's possible the two or three newcomers I'm thinking of would have gotten involved regardless, but I think that all
Mousebumples aspects of Europeia need to work together (not just the executive) to get Newcomers to get involved and stay involved going forward.
Mousebumples (done)
Notolecta I agree with Mouse on giving AM's specific assignments to encourage them, but I also think more can be done. I plan to have interior focus more on matters of integration and work closely with all ministers as well as the CA on ways to help newcomers more easily intergrate, such as deciding good starting point tasks to assign.
Notolecta I also plan to break down the walls between ministries so that AM's can if they want explore other ministries to see what they want to get involved in since not everyone knows what areas they want to work in when they first join the region. Of course there would be no pressure or requirement to work in any area you aren't offically a part of, just acess.
Notolecta (done)
Sopo free for all rebuttals
Mousebumples Noto and I can duke it out on our differences, if you want, but we already had this debate on skype between us a few days ago, so i know we won't make progress or convince each other
prometheus3 I'm good.
Notolecta SD: Most of what you mentioned was non-political, how do you intend to bridge the gap into political involvement.
SevenDeaths Newcomers just need to be aware of the starting positions available to them(such as AM, CA, etc) and if they want to get into politics, they'll get into them. Euro's political game has always been one that you need to want to participate in or else you'll just get #rekt.
Mousebumples Noto: One of the comments/complaints I get most frequently from Newcomers (on surveys, via PM/TG, etc.) is about how much there is to see in Europeia and how many forums there are to explore. Most newcomers get overwhelmed. Why do you think giving newcomers MORE access to MORE areas will help integrate them better and not confuse them further and possibly drive them away, if they're wholly overwhelmed?
Notolecta I believe if we help guide them through the many areas they have access to we can overcome that challange, and once we overcome it the benefits will be much greater than simply avoiding it.
prometheus3 Noto: should there be a veteran nation or two to help the newcomers?
Mousebumples How will you help guide them through that we're not already doing/haven't already tried? What new ideas do you have in this area, to help them navigate the complicated forum structure that we have?
Mousebumples @prometheus3: We already have Patrons assigned to Newcomers to try to help with that, yes
Notolecta I think that the patron program can be utilized to do that, and I can't say for sure exactly what changes to it will help, but I have several I am considering and without a final descion would not like to commit to any one specific strategy at this time, but I know we can do it. At the very least we need to try because our current strategy needs to be improved if it can be.
Mousebumples (i'm good to move forward if everyone else is)
Sopo ok
Sopo Another from WL, "Interior and Foreign Affairs have been quite lately, with no updates coming out from each. How do you expect to change this, and make them more transparent, if possible? "
SevenDeaths Simple answer is weekly updates like Calvin and WL have been doing. Though I think that's the answer WL was looking for. (Stop seeking praise! :p) If the Ministers aren't showcasing what they're doing, it's difficult to think they're doing anything and the President should step in to fill that communication gap.
SevenDeaths (done)
prometheus3 I agree with SD. If there is some sort of problem with putting out the updates, it should be the responsibility of the President to push out the updates. (done)
Mousebumples Both FA and Interior have “privacy issues,” where you don't want to give secrets away to our competitors. However, I hope that FA will improve it's visibility through more frequent Foreign Updates, EON (including EPR), and the like. I will encourage my ministers to publish weekly reports, but I don't know that there's much benefit to the region if the report is “I discussed treaties with [REDACTED] regi
Mousebumples on.” If that sort of update would be beneficial, I'm happy to encourage the posting of such things.
Mousebumples So far as Interior goes, I hope that my Interior Minister will have more to publish, with regards to additions to the Newcomer's Handbook. Additionally, more updates regarding Manual Recruiting progress could happen, but there hasn't been much Manual Recruiting from players not named Writinglegend this term. I don't really feel comfortable (for the aforementioned privacy issues) sharing what sort of telegram drafting
Mousebumples projects that we're working on with the public. However, if “We developed a new telegram” or “We adapted an existing telegram” is the sort of generic, non-specific update the region wants, I'm happy to encourage that sort of activity from my MoI as well.
Mousebumples (done)
Notolecta As I've mentioned in my platform updates like the ones we've seen from Culture and comm are something I aim to see from every ministry, but I don't think it is wise at this time to put a weekly frequency as that may not be possible for both ministries. I also intend to attempt to create varying scales for judging the sucess of my ministries which would likely be published, but since many of our ministries aren't easy to pu
Notolecta (done)
Mousebumples you were cut off, noto
Mousebumples "aren't easy to pu"
Notolecta aren't easy to put into numbers that goal is not a forefront policy and may not see success.
Notolecta Sorry about that
Mousebumples happens :)
SevenDeaths I'm bowing out now. Send me any other questions in PM, pls.
Sopo Go ahead with rebuttals as needed
Sopo Thanks for coming, SD
prometheus3 I'm good.
Notolecta I'm not sure they are needed here.
Mousebumples i'm good
Sopo Ok
* Mousebumples waves to SD
prometheus3 Good bye, and good luck, SD.
Sopo From Hy, "Excluding pap answers such as "I'll do what needs to be done and not do what does not need to be done", what is the candidate's overall philosophy?"
Notolecta New order?
Mousebumples or just prom, mouse, noto ?
Sopo ^
Sopo prom-mouse-noto
Notolecta just wanted to clarify
prometheus3 I'm a balanced kind of guy, and I tackle issues in a systematic fashion. I will try to keep Europeia on a path of peace and prosperity. (done)
Mousebumples . rk iNot quite sure how to answer this. I don't really have a “soundbite” response here, but I'd like to see the region engage more gameside. I've tried to encourage this some, over the course of the past term, with various regional polls and the like happening on the main region page.
Mousebumples Also, as was discussed in the recent EBC Wire thread, I'd love to link some relevant NS Forum posts in the Wire. Re: our earlier discussion about informing the region more regarding Foreign Affairs, having a greater presence there (with more nations, not just more posts by two or three nations) will also work in our favor.
Mousebumples I also mentioned above that I'd like to see the region fully embrace independence and will encourage my GA to help train our Navy on both defender and raider skills, to ensure that the ERN is ready to act abroad in our best interests, as a truly independent region should be able to do.
Mousebumples grr to the beginning of that - please edit out, sopo? :(
Mousebumples otherwise (done)
Notolecta There are a couple concepts that will overarch my administration if elected including transparency, exploring new avenues in all areas, and exploring ways to define sucess. I want to keep an open mind to all veiwpoints as president and intend to select my cabinet and the EAAC to reflect that.
Notolecta (done)
Sopo Considering most of this is hashed out in platforms, I'm going to avoid more vague questions about plans for culture/interior/etc. Especially because we're closing in on 3 hours of this. So I have a couple concluding questions.
Mousebumples ok
prometheus3 Go for it.
Sopo The Cabinet has been -mostly- comprised of the same people in the same positions for the last couple of terms. Can we expect that to change, and some switching around/adding of new faces to occur? Additionally, if names like WL and Cal will not be maintaining their current places, do you think you'll be able to fill those large shoes?
Sopo (from WL with my own addendum)
prometheus3 I will see to it that we have fresh blood. We need new ideas and I believe that people who are seasoned in politics should be in The Cabinet, I believe I will fill those shoes.
prometheus3 9done0
prometheus3 *(done)
Mousebumples My preferred Cabinet keeps 2 individuals in their current roles and either moves existing Cabinet members around or includes new individuals. WL and Calvin are among those that I will be moving to a new role, as I believe that they need to stretch their wings and polish up their expertise in a new area.
Mousebumples I have every confidence in the abilities of their “replacements” to keep the Ministries moving along effectively, and I have tried to select Ministers for those roles who are effective at delegating. Paired with my plan to try to engage AMs more effectively, I believe Culture and Communications (and the rest of my Cabinet) will do quite well in their roles.
Mousebumples While I understand that RL interferes with many – and that we're all doing this on a “volunteer” basis – I also plan to hold all of my AMs to account and, like past Presidents, will replace underperforming Ministers, when appropriate. I hope that the diversifying of my Cabinet and the development of AMs will give me (and future Presidents) a number of qualified, capable individuals that can effectivel
Mousebumples y serve in the Cabinet when called upon.
Mousebumples (done)
Notolecta The cabinet will most certianly be changed up under me, and I am confindent that along with my plan to leave projects open to all ministries the ministers I've chosen will prove we can strive in comm and culture under without calvin and WL who have more skills than just those and can be utilized in other ways, such as being vice-president.
Notolecta (done)
Sopo rebuts seems unnecessary here
Sopo Do you anticipate the addition of new Ministries or removal of any current Ministries (including Innovation)?
prometheus3 I anticipate the possible addition of new Ministries. I honestly don't want a Big Brother government.
prometheus3 (done)
Mousebumples I have no current plans to add new Ministries. (although I think r3n will be nominated as an MwP for me, rather than CoS) I also plan to remove Innovation. However, if I determine that the addition of a new Cabinet post would be beneficial mid-term, I am not ruling out that possible late addition. I just have no such plans at the moment.
Mousebumples (done)
Notolecta Innovation is no longer nessarry, so it will be removed. No new ministries will exist; however I expect to have two individuals not directly linked to a ministry, including one CoS(for the prupose of title consistency) and a MwP
Notolecta (done)
Sopo Final question from Asta: If the candidates had to replace one of the colors on the Europeian flag with a different color, what change would they make and why?
Mousebumples euro flag: http://z6.ifrm.com/4812/177/0/p1027404/flag_hires.png
prometheus3 Pale yellow with purple, because it means wealth, and Europeia is fairly wealthy (done)
Mousebumples I'd make the lime green to hunter green. Because Green and Gold always belong together baby. #gopackgo
Notolecta I would like a darker green or darker yellow, to balance the brightness of the whole thing.(done)
Sopo That concludes today's Presidential debates. The transcript will be posted on the forums for all to see. Thanks for playing.

SD Responses said:
From Hy, "Excluding pap answers such as "I'll do what needs to be done and not do what does not need to be done", what is the candidate's overall philosophy?"

That getting work done does not always require a consensus. Sometimes, the President needs to step in and make the final decision as is his right in the position. To often, there's this thought that everyone needs to agree on something for it to get done, but that can't be more wrong. Look at your two most successful ministries of last term, Culture and Comm. Both of which were effectively ran by a single person. I'm not saying we should have ministries of one, but that kind of willingness to just do stuff combined with their stellar work ethic was a wonderful thing to see.

The Cabinet has been -mostly- comprised of the same people in the same positions for the last couple of terms. Can we expect that to change, and some switching around/adding of new faces to occur? Additionally, if names like WL and Cal will not be maintaining their current places, do you think you'll be able to fill those large shoes?

I think that there will be some changes in an SD Cabinet. For sure, the only cabinet position I have filled is Grand Admiral and Kraken will do a wonderful job there. Otherwise, I know that Calvin and WL will stay active in those Ministries even if they aren't leading it so I'm not too concerned about filling their shoes, they'll still be around to prop up any Minister I choose, provided she's active enough to listen.

Do you anticipate the addition of new Ministries or removal of any current Ministries (including Innovation)?

I won't be adding any new Ministries, but I would not be using MinInn again. Mainly because I'm not entirely sure what the Ministry was supposed to do in the first place. I've heard that MinInn was mainly there to make Mixlr a thing and if so, bravo. Otherwise, I didn't see much Innovation.

Final question from Asta: If the candidates had to replace one of the colors on the Europeian flag with a different color, what change would they make and why?

I hate that green. It's always looked to bright. I might replace it with an orange or a soft purple.

Prometheus Responses said:
The GAP has been a, rather, large controversy in previous elections about whether it "drains our resources" or whether "our resources are put to good use". What will you do with the GAP, and why do you feel this is the best course of action?

I would keep it until I have enough evidence to dissolve it, as I want to hear these allegations that the GAP is "draining our resources" and I would not want to get rid of something that later turns out is beneficial.

President Malashaan recently pulled away from the idea of an "international paper" in favor of focusing on EON to distribute media abroad. Would developing an international paper be a focus during your term? How do you plan to develop EON?"

Developing a paper would be my focus during my term, and I plan to develop the EON by slowly integrating it with the paper.

Oh lol you're purple prometheus

Should be fixed now.

Mousebumples said:
I see this was un-heeded: Mousebumples grr to the beginning of that - please edit out, sopo? :(
:cheers:

Calvin Coolidge said:
Mousebumples said:
*siiiiigh* I guess we all make mistakes, and I should just own up to them, then, huh?
Mousebumbles for President! :D
First attack of the campaign? :ph43r:

Added after-the-fact responses from SD and Prommy.

Calvin Coolidge said:
HEM said:
Calvin Coolidge said:
Mousebumples said:
*siiiiigh* I guess we all make mistakes, and I should just own up to them, then, huh?
Mousebumbles for President! :D
First attack of the campaign? :ph43r:
Faux News: Formerly Respected Founder HEM is Desperate for a Story. :gentleman:
ENN Gossip Blog: Notolecta / Coolidge campaign is desperate to cover up mudslinging tactics. Tries to bring down celebrated founder. More at 11.

ThreeEyes: Dementia begins to set in for old-timer HEM

Sopo said:
ThreeEyes: Dementia begins to set in for old-timer HEM
ENN Gossip Blog: Sopo allegedly taken in for treatment at Arnhelm General after taking too many psychedelic mind-altering drugs. Doctors refuse to confirm anything, but one fired nurse called Sopo "unstable" and a "frequent customer" of the rehab ward.

*wishes for a Panel on the Debate*

*cough*

Just saying. If ENN isn't going to do it, it seems like an opportunity for others in Private Media. *whistles innocently*

Mousebumples said:
*wishes for a Panel on the Debate*

*cough*

Just saying. If ENN isn't going to do it, it seems like an opportunity for others in Private Media. *whistles innocently*
I've already given 5 hours of my time today to the Presidential election. Maybe later.

Mousebumples said:
Mousebumples We will also work on refining our liberation skills as well as the more raiding-focused skills. Yes, most of our allies tend to engage in raid-style efforts, but we are an independent region and should not be limited in what sort of missions we can engage in by our limitations in skills and training regarding defender-related skills.
One observation I would make is that the skills involved in 'liberations' are in fact very similar to those involved in raids, which is partly why I prefer to term 'liberations' as counter-invasions, as I prefer to focus on the military function of the type of operation rather than the moralism implied by 'liberation'.

It is true that there are couple of moderate tactical differences, both arising from the fact that a defending delegate is online. First, in counter-invasions/'liberations' you often cross-endorse, in case the defending Delegate is online and ejects the point. Hopefully, however, our sailors are capable of already capable of endorsing additional nations if they are directed to do so, as the process is relatively simple. Second, it's also more important that everyone moves in on time and quickly - of course, these are also imperatives in raids and the best way to improve the speed at which units move in is not major occupations (whether invasions or counter-invasions), which is not the time to be training; it is repeat practice of cascade raiding/tagging multiple regions while leaving as little time to move in as possible.

The other thing to note is that most 'liberations'/counter-invasions run by defender organisations have a significant number of amateur units (otherwise they wouldn't have the necessary numbers), so it's not as if they're trained to the hilt. Of course, those defenders are seeking to 'liberate' usually against very big raids, whereas our 'liberations'/counter-invasions would probably be directed at regions controlled by less significant organisations with no major military capacity. Often their defending delegates aren't actually online, which makes it exactly like raiding, and in practice for these sorts of counter-invasions I would regard the updating cohorts of the major raiding organisations as equally capable (if not more) than defenders despite the former having not practised counter-invasions/'liberations'.

So you will be pleased to hear that we face no risk of being 'limited in what sort of missions we can engage in by our limitations in skills and training regarding defender-related skills'. Indeed, in practice, in the operations where groups like the ERN and UIAF have counter-invaded/'liberated', they've experienced as much success as with other types of operation performed. There is nothing to be gained by training with 'defender-related skills.' Practising raiding essentially gives you the lot.

On the other hand, I agree entirely that we should be prepared to 'liberate'/counter-invade in circumstances dictated by our interests: naturally, as you point out, these would be operations against non-allied occupying powers, although I would also generally look for something more specific to the target region (such as a connection to them or other foreign policy interest) because, as I have explained, there is no general imperative to train to 'liberate'/counter-invade to maintain military capacity.

Back