Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"First Minister Finds Success In Learning From The Past"
HEM Tiberius
Managing Editor

“Earlier this evening I asked the Minister of Radio for his resignation. I want to thank him for his work in the executive over the past few months, but there have been a number of irreconcilable differences over the course of this term. Radio has fallen far behind where it should be and there can no longer be any more excuses.”

The above terse statement was released by President Aexnidaral Seymour on March 1st, 2017 after days of mounting pressure from a restless electorate.

This unenviable Radio Minister who was dumped to public acclaim in 2017 is the same official being credited with spearheading a restoration of Europeia in 2019: Pichtonia.

Then-Minister Pichtonia had a reputation for being in a clique of officials very close to President Seymour. So when he took steps that were seen to limit public discussion of issues, it reinforced an already-existing and negative perception people had about him.

“The Minister of Radio has to strike a delicate balance between serving the Administration and providing a valuable service to the region,” Mixlr and EBC Radio pioneer and media mogul PhDre said in a public criticism to the entire region. “While the Minister says he ‘[didn't] want [Radio] to get too ahead of [itself] in an arguably stressful situation for those involved,’ Europeians also have the right to participate in political discussion, and Radio serves a greater cause than the comfort of an Administration.”

After the resignation of Vice President Brunhilde (long before their administrative ban), PhDre and others wanted to host a show to speculate on who the replacement should be. After Pichtonia vetoed the show, the band of radio rabble-rousers went public.

Only days later, the same coalition of citizens would criticize Pichtonia for failing to advertise a Q&A townhall where citizens could ask questions of government officials, claiming he was shielding the government from potential criticism.

“A lot of the drama surrounding Pichto's replacement as Radio wasn't fair to him. He wasn't trying to protect anyone so much as he felt that because Radio was a government Ministry there should be a wait time on speculation and discussion about Brunhilde's (VP) replacement. I get it, and to be honest, I didn't want to fire him but he told me that if I didn't fire him he'd quit,” then-President Aexnidaral Seymour told ENN for this story.

A figure who served, rightly or wrongly, as a symbol for cliquism and cronyism is now lauded for leading the team that’s actively rebuilding the bridge back to Europeia’s greatness.

“Pichto has to be given a ton of credit, as I mentioned in a post somewhere else yesterday. If there is strong, enthusiastic leadership encouraging ministerial engagement, it is a tremendous boon. Pichto had a vision and has lived it, and the results are inarguable,” Former First Minister Lloenflys has stated publicly.

We spoke to other recent executive leaders, many of whom squirmed when asked what they suspected the secret sauce was for Pichtonia’s success, the implicit suggestion being, of course, that they lacked this “sauce”.

“Summer's a hard time to be successful in, and we've seen a lot of activity from the government this term, so that's something to be proud of,” Former First Minister Rand told ENN.

“Well, I would credit that to the fact that he comes off as energized […] the fact that he can present an optimistic front to the region is commendable,” Former President Ervald said.

But that doesn’t mean everything is perfect.

With back to school and back to campus in full swing, the second half of August has been markedly less active than the first half. This period also mirrored a LOA period for the First Minister himself, perhaps suggesting that improvements in regional life have been driven solely by force of will from Pichtonia, and may prove to be fleeting.

Pichtonia also attracted some momentary criticism for his termination of Deputy First Minister and Minister of Recruitment Whitmark. An opaque announcement quickly gave away to a more transparent statement about why Whitmark was asked to step away from the role.

Still, a source close to the former Deputy First Minister insists that whatever Pichtonia may say in public, the firing still “came out of the blue” to Whitmark. Another concern surrounded the dynamic of one elected official unilaterally ousting another:

“Whitmark had a mandate just like Pichtonia,” the source said.

Still, Pichtonia’s instinct to lean into the criticism and give a fully transparent statement suggests he’s learned from the past, and he appears to be on the cusp of claiming a Lexian place in Europeian history.

Great article, HEM. I'm glad to see Pichto be able to excel in his position, I think he should get more credit for the hard work he does than he has previously; so it's nice to see that credit being given to him now. My term as President sucked, but Pichto was one of the harder working members of my Cabinet and I wish I could've kept him, there were lots of politics being played behind closed doors from people that held the position as MoR previously who wanted it back.

Great article, HEM. I'm glad to see Pichto be able to excel in his position, I think he should get more credit for the hard work he does than he has previously; so it's nice to see that credit being given to him now. My term as President sucked, but Pichto was one of the harder working members of my Cabinet and I wish I could've kept him, there were lots of politics being played behind closed doors from people that held the position as MoR previously who wanted it back.
The more I hear and read about the politics in Euro of yesteryear, the more I think I would have hated it.

One of the first things I remember hearing about former political machinations was your article about the CRP.

I'm glad things worked out for Pichto, that must have been rough to go through.
Good article, HEM. :)

For as "spicy" as things get here over the past year or so, it's never been as bad as previously. Overall, I think the more social climate has actually made things nicer, compared to how scandals would spiral in 09-12 or 15-17

I grinned throughout much of the article, particularly when I felt charmed, because I'm vain like that. :p When I originally read the headline, I thought the article might take a different route (because I often catch myself being a little stuck in old times and thinking), but this is a very interesting article.

Your sympathy humbles me, because I don't deserve it. I was as much a victim of that culture as I was an instigator of it. I played and I lost. But when I returned after a while, the region and its citizens were largely willing to look forward rather than backward and that I am very grateful for. Even Sopo, who was one of those I clashed with the most as Minister of Radio, would be the one to later reemploy me in the same role. To me, that was Euro at its best.

Great article, I always love reading about Euro's history before I got here! Pichto has excelled in his role

The more I hear and read about the politics in Euro of yesteryear, the more I think I would have hated it.

One of the first things I remember hearing about former political machinations was your article about the CRP.

Good article, HEM. :)
I think it's key to not look back with rose-colored glasses, but it's also important to not realize each culture comes with pros and cons.

As to whether Pichtonia deserved the pushback he got back in 2017, well, I'll leave that as a question for history. But a hyper-political scene does allow for accountability by reflex, which creates a market force that keeps productive and active people in office.

Are there negative side effects to that? Yes. For instance, overzealous accountability can drive otherwise productive members out of the region. It also makes for a stressful game and less pleasant experience for some.

But the danger zone, for me, is when friendship and complacency mean that people won't call out the government while Europeia rots. Even in the last year, we've seen a trend of mostly "super veterans" creating accountability threads or calling a government to task. Even when some people have doubts, they resign their expression to anonymous comments in EBC articles.

I think our region is a pleasant space to spend time, but I do think the current political climate that relies on a few big-wigs (a "deepstate", perhaps) to guide the health of state behind the scenes and guard against incompetence. I wish we could tilt the scale a little bit back in the other direction.

Back