FAQ: Coding BBcode

Mousebumples

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
This is almost entirely pulled from my NS-side Technical FAQ, but I tried to adjust things for Euro-specific coding as is appropriate. If I goofed something (or if you want to know how to code something I don't have included here), let me know, and I can try to edit it in.

CODING
How do I code X, Y, Z?
There is this BBCode guide. However, I'll run through some of the more common/frequently used codes here, as well. (If there are others you'd like to see added, please reply with what else you'd want added, and I will happily do so.)

BOLD
[nocode]BOLD[/nocode]

ITALICS
[nocode]ITALICS[/nocode]

UNDERLINE
[nocode]UNDERLINE[/nocode]

STRIKEOUT
[nocode]STRIKEOUT[/nocode]

RED BLUE GREEN (You can also use the Hexadecimal RGB color code, if you're familiar with those. A list of codes for those colors can be found here.)
[nocode]RED BLUE GREEN[/nocode]

LINK
[nocode]LINK[/nocode]

Mousebumples (Use the name of the nation in question where I have my nation name inserted.)
Code:
[nation]Mousebumples[/nation]

Europeia
Code:
[region]Europeia[/region]

Horizontal Line:

[nocode]
[/nocode]

How do I change the size of my text on the forums?
Font size is determined based on a numbering system. 1 is "normal" size. Smaller numbers shrink the font size. Larger numbers enlarge the font size.

[size=-5]This is size -5.[/size]
[size=-3]This is size -3[/size]
[size=-1]This is size -1.[/size]
This is size 1.
This is size 3
This is size 5.
This is size 7.
This is size 10.

Code:
[size=-5]This is size -5.[/size]
[size=-3]This is size -3[/size]
[size=-1]This is size -1.[/size]
[size=1]This is size 1.[/size]
[size=3]This is size 3[/size]
[size=5]This is size 5.[/size]
[size=7]This is size 7.[/size]
[size=10]This is size 10.[/size]

Euro forums also lets you use Big and Small tags (and combine them) to change the size of your font.

Big
Bigger
Biggest

Small
Smaller
Smallest

Code:
[big]Big[/big]
[big][big]Bigger[/big][/big]
[big][big][big]Biggest[/big][/big][/big]
[small]Small[/small]
[small][small]Smaller[/small][/small]
[small][small][small]Smallest[/small][/small][/small]

How do I code images on the forums?
Place the url of an image in between the [/nocode]

How do I code to align my text in a certain way?
There are 2 alignment options (left is default and does not need to be coded) -
RIGHT​
[nocode]
RIGHT​
[/nocode]

CENTERED​
[nocode]
CENTERED​
[/nocode]

How do I code spoiler tags?
Hidden text
[nocode]
Hidden text
[/nocode]

Hidden Text
[nocode]
Hidden Text
[/nocode]

You can hide a spoiler tag within a spoiler tag. One needs to have the custom text, and the other cannot have the custom text.
Nested Spoiler Tag
More hidden text
[nocode]
Nested Spoiler Tag
More hidden text
[/nocode]

Euro forums also have "hide" tags that work about the same, but they look different:
[hide=Click to see!]Hidden text. Oooooh. Ahhhhh![/hide]
Code:
[hide=Click to see!]Hidden text.  Oooooh.  Ahhhhh![/hide]

How do I quote another person's post?
Quoted text
[nocode]
Quoted text
[/nocode]
Moderator said:
Moderator quote
[nocode]
Moderator said:
Moderator quote
[/nocode]
The other obvious option is to click the "quote" button in the bottom-right hand corner of each post.

How do I create a list?
  • List
  • List
[nocode]
  • List
  • List
[/nocode]

Alternate options include:
Numbered lists -
  1. One
  2. Two
[nocode]
  1. One
  2. Two
[/nocode]

Lettered lists -
  • A
  • B
[nocode]
  • A
  • B
[/nocode]

Roman Numerals -
  • I
  • II
[nocode]
  • I
  • II
[/nocode]

You can also combine lists to make a multi-level list:
  • I
    • A
      1. 1
        • a
          • i
        • b
      2. 2
    • B
  • II
[nocode]
  • I
    • A
      1. 1
        • a
          • i
        • b
      2. 2
    • B
  • II
[/nocode]
Just make sure to close out each of the sub-lists you create. Otherwise, it can cause some weird indentation for your text that follows the list.

Anything else you want a walkthrough on learning how to code?
Let me know!

Drecq said:
Meep. Didnt see that... . :(
It's all good. And that covers most of this ... but not everyone looks at that, I've found. :)

NS forums have a similar page, but the number of posts in the Tech forum asking "how do I add an image to my post" is ... ridiculous in their frequency.

Also, bg color! And border! Combined with bold and white text, you have Mod Warn Code!

Code:
[bgcolor=#ff0000][border=#000000][color=#ffffff][b]***WARNED FOR DOUCHEBAGGERY***[/b][/color][/border][/bgcolor]
[bgcolor=#ff0000][border=#000000,1,solid]***WARNED FOR DOUCHEBAGGERY***[/border][/bgcolor]

But seriously. Border and bicolor are some that aren't included in your post, me thinks.

New code - thanks to r3n's awesomeness ... for mid-page bookmarks!

Code:
[bookmark]xyz[/bookmark]

This allows you to link to a particular part of a page - i.e. the above would be linked to by appending #bookmark-xyz to the end of whatever link you were working with.

[bookmark]xyz[/bookmark]

Link with: http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/8898842/1/#bookmark-xyz

I may edit the above post at some point - when time allows - to work in some of these bookmark codes for easier reference. But ... this code is now a thing. *beams*

Elias Greyjoy said:
Pretty sure that's already native to ZB.
That's what I thought, but I tried it several times when writing my two church services over Easter and I couldn't get a single hymn to show up from youtube or otherwise using various combinations of the [flash] codes that I have used many times before.

I honestly don't know, but hopefully r3n will nose in here at some point and give us/you a definitive answer on this ...

If I recall correct from last time it was asked, it was to cut down on page loading times and video spam.

Although that was back on IF so I'm not sure if those issues remain the case with ZB

Loading time is not that big an issue. However, allowing external flash content to be displayed on the forum is a serious security risk. Furthermore, as Vinage said, the FLASH code tends to get abused for video spam.

r3naissanc3r said:
Loading time is not that big an issue. However, allowing external flash content to be displayed on the forum is a serious security risk. Furthermore, as Vinage said, the FLASH code tends to get abused for video spam.
Okay then. I understand the wish of administrators to ensure that spam does not take place or the supposed apparent security issues of allowing a flash link, however I would note that no other NS forum allowing flash embedding has ever suffered a security breach as a result of flash videos. However I'll press the matter no further, it's just a real shame.

The fact that very few such attacks have happened does not mean that they cannot take place, and the potential damage in such an event vastly outweighs the low likelihood of occurrence.

The practices of other NationStates forums are hardly relevant. NationStates regional forums are notoriously badly run in terms of security.

Can I ask, what particular use do you have in mind that cannot be facilitated by just posting a link to a youtube video instead?

Back