Executive End-Of-Term & Senate Midterm Approval Poll Analysis

Executive End-Of-Term & Senate Midterm Approval Poll Analysis

Solid Executive ratings despite dissatisfaction with uncontested election; Senate considered competent but below optimal activity

Written by Maowi and Chipoli, and edited by Seva and Westinor

For over 48 hours starting on Sunday October 22, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) ran a poll regarding satisfaction with the performance of the executive government under President JayDee and Vice President Pichtonia, as well as JayDee’s prospects for this Friday’s presidential election in which he is running unopposed alongside Rand, in addition to satisfaction with the 91st Senate’s performance as it approaches its halfway mark. The poll was advertised on the forums and in the Europeian Discord server, and garnered 29 responses in total.

Section One: Outgoing Executive satisfaction

As the administration closes out a turbulent term in which they have had to face a series of Cabinet resignations as well as three war declarations, ratings of their performance send mixed messages. While the numbers are encouraging, the comments often portray a divide in opinion – in many cases due to some respondents being unaware of the official in question’s activity. This hints that overall ratings may have taken a hit from dissatisfaction with communication from the Goldenblock, particularly affecting the more internal-facing positions, such as director of the Government Accountability Office and the Chief of Staff.

Executive branch overall - 82.7% satisfaction

solid!

Lackluster and void of direction or purpose

Overall pretty good, though it suffered a lot from constant ministerial departures and a feeling that some ministries had given up a bit by the end of the term.

We have done a great job in light of the hardships we have faced this term.

Bloated executive with some gems in cabinet, hyperactive but not super efficient president, active region but no idea if admin caused that. A shame nobody has challenged the incumbent, they could easily beat him

Overall, we’ve gone from a place of strength at the end of Pland’s term to a place of weakness now.

The Rand and Pland terms were phenominal. JayDee's term was a disappointment, overall, and I think there would be a lot more criticism if we weren't currently at war.

The JayDee administration’s work has gone down well overall with poll respondents; their strong satisfaction rating is just about higher than the last time the EBC posted an executive approval poll in print, which was at the midterm point of Pland Adanna’s presidency. Those rating the administration poorly are overrepresented in the comments, citing a lack of “direction” and a sense that the government started losing steam towards the end of the term, with the focus on war efforts distracting from problems on the domestic front. Others note the unavoidable setbacks the government has had to deal with, particularly the multiple ministerial resignations, which may have contributed to some of the disapproval. Clearly, though, a majority of our sample of the Europeian electorate believe that the administration handled these setbacks well and managed to have an overall positive term.

President JayDee - 72.4% satisfaction

great

Has left domestic affairs adrift.

JayDee has been a great President, he has demonstrated excellent leadership in light of the BoM and TCB drama.

I think he did good

He's shown great leadership, I am impressed

I don't know. He's made questionable executive appointments, started a war with LWU for no reason to make us fight on 2 fronts... but lately the region has been active (more than first half of term) and we did score impressive victories in the other way more logicaĺ war. So his activity has been impressive but not always directed at the right things. And I want presidents who use their energy efficiently and don't create the impression that this job is impossible to do without spending multiple hours a day. I want to believe it doesnt have to be that time demanding, and efficiency is the one way to achieve that

Energetic all the way through. Great job

While the president’s total satisfaction lags a little behind that of his overall administration, JayDee received the second-highest “Very Satisfied” rating of any member of his government, with over fifty percent of respondents selecting this level of approval for him. Commenters praised his “excellent leadership” and high energy throughout the whole term. Indeed, the term has been chock full of Foreign Affairs action: one treaty repeal, two proscriptions, three declarations of war, and the largest anti-raider offensive operation in history. On the flip side, one commenter suggested that the domestic ministries have been left “adrift,” reflected in each of them receiving lower satisfaction ratings than all of the foreign-facing ones.

Vice President Pichtonia - 79.3% satisfaction

good

Pichto has done a great job, shame he couldn't do a second term.

nice work

Rl seemed to take him away but he was fine as a VP

I love Pichtonia

With Forillian, we had a vice president that was exceptionally active in various executive ministries, and it's unfortunate to see us return to having no clue what the VP is doing at any given time. That said, Pichto did an okay job, I suppose.

Pichtonia gained more approval than his colleague in the Goldenblock, perhaps escaping some of the flak for the administration’s more controversial decisions. A couple of commenters wanted more activity from the vice president, but for the most part he has avoided the visibility issues that have historically plagued his position. Respondents have been appreciative of his work, for example in the Ministry of Outreach, being present on the Regional Message Board, and in general being an enthusiastic cheerleader for the government.

Grand Admiral Vor - 96.6% satisfaction

Vor has done a great job on the field of battle, especially Solidiarity.

BLESSED BE VORHOLLAH

vorsome work

Stellar, nothing to add

Still owes me a jetski

I don’t think Vor lives up to Maowi, but he’s been a very strong GA in his own right.

Vor’s long-awaited first term as grand admiral was obviously worth the wait; he has received the highest approval rating of the entire poll, missing out on the perfect score by one single “Neutral” response. Between the liberation of Magna Aurea, responding to the North Pacific’s delegate bump, and Operation Red October in Solidarity – as well as other shorter large-scale operations – the Navy has been kept busy this term. Nevertheless, Vor was also able to make good on other campaign promises from JayDee, such as using the Civilian Service to help with marshalling and having sailors set up sleepers.

Minister of Gameside Gem - 48.2% satisfaction

he did a lot behind the scenes so good job

Don't know enough to judge

Not super visible

Gem's ideas for gameside were great. I wish they would have done more to actually accomplish them, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when they say they couldn't find the time or energy for it.

Gem is one of a few ministers to suffer from a large share of “Neutral” responses. In his case, the comments indicate that visibility was the issue. One of the comments makes reference to Gem’s remark in the Discord #grand-hall channel that they did not have it in them to accomplish as much as they would have liked; however, they additionally had to contend with the fact that their work is based in areas of Europeia that are less frequented by the typical EBC poll-taker, which cannot have helped visibility.

Minister of Communications Phoenix - 51.7% satisfaction

phoenix is okay

Not too present, but it's such a tough job that it's not easy to be. Will let him off as a first time minister

The trend continues of going from a place of strength to a place of weakness. We went from a great MinComm in Pland, to a good MinComm in HEM, to an absent MinComm in Phoenix.

Alongside Minister of Outreach ICH, Phoenix is one of the two first-time Cabinet members from JayDee’s original slate of nominees to have made it through the whole term. Tasked with the notoriously demanding role of Minister of Communications, he has scraped past the 50% approval mark. The EBC has seen a drop in the number of articles posted compared to last term, matching the general trend identified by poll respondents of relatively poorer performance in the domestic departments.

Minister of World Assembly Affairs SkyGreen - 82.8% satisfaction

IFV are coming out, a bright spot in this Administration

SkyGreen has done a great job revitalizing the WA ministry after it went through multiple ministers this term.

My first big success was not resigning, from there it was smooth sailing

Not enough time

Sky seems to be doing a good job in what time they've had, but I think Gem and Vor deserve more credit for running the ministry in the time between when Lime went AWOL, and Sky got confirmed.

After stepping up to fill the World Assembly ministership when PaleLand resigned last term, SkyGreen has once again proved his reliability this term, taking over from Lime during the last two or so weeks of term. His performance has been well-received, and like three of his peers he has received no “Dissatisfied” or “Very Dissatisfied” ratings at all. While the ministry has occasionally struggled to release timely IFVs recently, SkyGreen's knack for organization has resulted in a course-correction and appears to have gone down well.

Minister of Foreign Affairs sanjurika - 89.7% satisfaction

love sanju's work

Lots of initiative and engagement

I don't agree with Sanju's choices as MoFA, but I approve of his approach, and I approve of his

Second only to Vor on overall approval – and to none when it comes to “Very Satisfied” responses – Europeia has responded enthusiastically to Sanjurika's accomplishments this term. Historically, this ministership has suffered in polls due to respondents being unsure of what work is done in the role, so the prominence of Foreign Affairs during this term has likely helped him avoid those woes. Having held this position last term, when it was more of a junior partner to the Foreign Affairs Advisor, Sanjurika has now risen to the challenge and proven his ability to shine with the role’s full responsibilities, acting as a great asset to Europeia’s presence abroad and engaging ambassadors with regular assignments.

Minister of Culture Spagtop: Tokyo Drift - 58.6% satisfaction

Seemed great, though the uselessness of Commendation Day didnt help with engagement

really minimal activity from culture this term. What I saw I liked, just wish we had more of it.

Spagtop’s return to the Ministry of Culture after Martyn Kiryu’s resignation was received fairly well, though the “Neutral” portion of his results is sizable. Under his ministership, Culture has produced a successful ovation celebration for Rand, followed immediately by a Commendation Day festival that received less engagement and was archived very quickly. Spagtop has also hosted or encouraged Discord game sessions in voice chat after radio shows, making use of the audience already present. There are not enough comments to make reliable inferences, but it seems that respondents may have simply wanted to see more activity from the ministry.

Minister of Radio Provian Bee - 27.5% satisfaction

responsive

not enough time on the job to rate. but the administration's lack of support for radio has been disappointing after talking a big game last election.

Not enough time

not enough time to prove themselves

Almost certainly as a result of his very short tenure in the role, Prov received an enormous 62.1% swathe of “Neutral” respondents. The Ministry of Radio has been plagued by two resignations this term as well as a small pool of people being burdened with the ministry’s workload, and Prov’s nomination thread subsequently sparked discussion about the sustainability of the region’s current expectations for the ministry. However, the consensus appears to be that this litany of difficulties cannot be attributed to Prov as he takes on his first Cabinet job in these less than auspicious circumstances.

Minister of Outreach ICH - 72.4% satisfaction

Simply amazing. Crime if he's not renominated.

where art thou?

Though brief, the comments on ICH’s performance are an excellent summary of the reception to many of the domestic ministers this term: enthusiastic support from some, and a perception of inactivity from others. This once again suggests that any issues in public opinion stem at least in part from ineffective communication. This term, ICH has run some creative incentives – most successfully the Road to 270 recruitment bonanza – and launched the newcomer badge program; this work has secured him the highest approval among the domestic ministers by a clear margin.

Director of the Government Accountability Office upc - 48.2% satisfaction

no idea what was supposed to happen here or frankly if anything did.

No. Never convinced me. Totally absent at least publicly. Useless role. I literally forgot it even was a role

Let's be honest here. For all intents and purposes, UPC was the vice president this term.

upc has a large number of “Neutral” responses, with around a third of respondents voting that way. This is likely due to the behind-the-scenes, internal nature of the office that he currently occupies. Despite many commenters not seeming to know what he is up to, upc achieved a nearly 50% satisfaction rate, which is respectable given the circumstances, and the administration has also recently emphasised the importance of his contributions as noted in the next section.

Chief of Staff Rand - 31.0% satisfaction

what was supposed to happen here? maybe the chief of staff could have noticed the region's domestic failures and directed resources there

Genuinely have no idea what he did all term

i can't really tell rand did things

Not in cabinet, so don't know what he's been doing behind the scenes

No idea what he did. Same as upc. Had no idea he was even employed

What exactly has Rand done? Feels like UPC has been doing their job for them.

JayDee’s vice presidential candidate Rand is in a similar position to UPC when it comes to visibility and “Neutral” responses. On Discord, Pichtonia defended both Rand and UPC against questions about their activity in their respective roles, asserting that “[t]hey've both done a lot of work behind the scenes”, and expressing gratitude for their contributions. JayDee has also stated that the positions will not be carried through into next term should he win re-election, reaffirming that they “were an asset to this term,” but “they were designed to fill a niche role and [...] their purpose has been fulfilled.”

Attorney General Forilian - 58.6% satisfaction

needs more humourous posts as AG but otherwise ok

Not enough info

Unfortunately, we're back to an AGO that doesn't do much. That's not Fori's fault, they just didn't get sent a ton of bills, and didn't get to prosecute a bunch of cases like Lloen or Rand did.

With rare exceptions when the holder places a deliberate focus on legal education, the position of attorney general tends to be a rather passive one, dependent on external happenings for its own activity. The many “Neutral” respondents, continuing a recurring theme throughout this poll, are therefore understandable, though it is impressive that Forilian has managed to avoid any negative reactions. This is likely a result of his timely and well-written legislative assessments when needed, as well as those of his law clerk PaleLand, and his responsiveness to organisation registration requests.

Section Two: Upcoming presidential election

Presidential candidate field - 34.5% satisfaction

Voting intentions - 62.1% JayDee/Rand

lack of opposition is not good

Wish someone else would run

JayDee is the very clear favorite, I can see why no one wants to step up against him, though I wish someone could.

moar thckefs

can't believe jaydee is smooth sailing because he declared two wars, gotta admit that's some top notch politics

I'd love to see a competitive election!

Please, please stand. Someone. Anyone. JayDee is really not the kind of president that deserves a coronation. No matter how many wars he'll never be FDR

I'm honestly really disappointed with Jay's term, and I'm sad we're not seeing any better options present themselves.

Predictably, disappointment with the field outweighs satisfaction in this thus far uncontested race. Despite favorable ratings earlier in the poll, there is consensus among the commenters that JayDee's performance was not the out-and-out coup that would warrant an unopposed run. However, these results show JayDee and Rand winning out against the option to reopen elections; with possible get-out-the-vote efforts taken into account, the margin is likely to be higher than the approximate 65% majority that this poll might suggest at face value. It remains to be seen whether the impassioned pleading of poll respondents and McEntire of the Arnhelm Alternative for a competitive election will cause any on-the-fence presidential hopefuls to succumb and attempt to launch an upset.

Section Three: Senate satisfaction

Senate overall - 65.5% satisfaction

quiet

Seems like most of the Senators are asleep, and not very fast moving on the very few things they do end up doing

The Senate has done a fine job this term, they've been busy with War Declarations for the most part

Sorry. Not following it much. Honestly it's boring to me, we've passed so many laws that i just get confused. And the region hasnt even changed that much (excluding Frontier Act). PhDre is fun though

Meh. Not super active, unfortunately.

Overall, respondents indicated that they were satisfied with the work that the 91st Senate has done so far, with it grabbing a 65% satisfaction rate, which is a decrease from the perfect satisfaction rating last time out. The comments indicated that Europeians would like to see an increase in activity, noting that the Senate isn’t moving quickly enough on their legislative discussions. Perhaps this drop from perfect approval is a testament to how busy our last Senate was, given the conflicts we faced in foreign policy in addition to some major legislative reform.

Senate Speaker Elio - 75.8% satisfaction

Seems like one of the only Senators actually trying to keep stuff moving

Elio is awesome

satisfied, but communication skills warrant some improvement imo, hope he keeps to his word more and commits to working together with stakeholders

Speaker Elio has received mostly positive reviews this time out, and has remained one of the most vocal voices in the Senate as he continues to build on his successful first term as senator. Elio’s activity is once again a strong point. One critic suggests that Elio should improve his “communication skills” by “working together with stakeholders.”

Senator Lloenflys - 75.9% satisfaction

Lloen is always generally good, but this term he has taken a bit of a dip in activity and general engagement.

Yet another banger, yet another banger by Senator Lloenflys. I'll still never support him for Speaker tho

As thoughtful as always

Lloenflys is one of the more senior members of the Senate and has consistently been among the highest rated Senators whenever he has served. In line with his strong track record, respondents expressed that they he feel he has once again performed well thus far as senator. However, one commenter felt that Lloenflys wasn’t quite at his sparkling best this term, noting that his activity and engagement have taken “a dip.”

Senator PhDre - 82.8% satisfaction

None

PhDre is the highest rated senator of the entire Senate, managing to secure an 82.8% satisfaction rate, with none of the respondents indicated that they were dissatisfied with his performance. PhDre has been a key contributor to the Senate, recently introducing the hotly-debated Weighted Voting Amendment. It may be that whatever comes of this bill will shape perceptions of PhDre’s performance in the Senate this term.

Senator Calvin Coolidge - 69.0% satisfaction

None

Calvin Coolidge is one of the lower-rated Senators this term, but still received a respectable 69% satisfaction rating. He received a large amount of “Neutral” votes, for reasons that remain unclear – perhaps these are related to the general sentiment that there has been a drop in Senate activity. Alternatively, since he has not proposed any legislation of his own authorship, this may have set him back when it comes to visibility compared to his peers Lloenflys and PhDre.

Senator Ellenburg - 48.4% satisfaction

Generally feels like he's not been around this term. Shows up for votes at least but not much else.

Ellenburg has the lowest approval rating of the entire Senate, failing to gain even half the respondents’ satisfaction. Ellenburg had a large number of “Neutral” responses, which is similar to what his results were last term. Along with that, he had the highest number of “Dissatisfied” responses of any senator. These results can largely be attributed to a lack of activity this term, despite the fact that “[he] shows up for votes at least.” The senator has unfortunately been hindered by a real-life related leave of absence, so he should remain optimistic for his chances of converting some of those “Neutral” respondents if he is able to catch back up during the second half of term.

Section Four: Current and recent Senate matters

Declaration of war on the Brotherhood of Malice - 89.7% in favour

Declaration of war on the Communist Bloc - 82.8% in favour

The second and third declarations of war submitted by President JayDee see overwhelming backing from the Europeian citizenry, though interestingly this support is slightly softer when it comes to the Communist Bloc (TCB) than the Brotherhood of Malice. The first large-scale action in this conflict has come in the form of a strike against TCB via the capture of Solidarity.

Order of Eos Amendment (2023) - 72.4% in favour

Authored by Gem and once again sponsored by the president, this relatively inoffensive bill also enjoys solid support from respondents. After Operation Red October against TCB, President JayDee awarded the Order of Eos to Quebecshire as the medal’s inaugural recipient due to his leadership of the invasion.

Sensitive information - 41.4% plurality undecided, Senator Lloenflys’ bill next most favoured

The Senate has been discussing how to address classified information in public posts since early September, when the Darkslayer vs. Kazaman court case came to a close. Of the three main options currently available, the procedure devised by Senator Lloenflys appears to be the most popular, closely followed by no change to the status quo. However, these results are far from definitive given how many respondents have not made up their minds.

Weighted Voting Amendment - 37.9% in favour, 37.9% against

Interestingly, this controversial Senate voting reform amendment from PhDre, fulfilling one of his platform promises, had respondents evenly split between support and opposition with almost a quarter yet to decide their opinion. If the bill makes it through the Senate in some form, its fate is far from certain, but these results do indicate that there could be some appetite for modifying the Senate’s power dynamics.

Good work getting through all the nominations, but wish there was more actual legislation and general activity.

I hope we keep a slow and steady tempo on the voting amendment. I am not really opposed to it but I have a hard time forming a solid opinion on it

I'm glad they can focus on some more exciting legislation now that all the war declarations are done

Not much meaningful conversation

Great write-up! These numbers are a mildly surprising on the executive side, a little lower than I anticipated. Wonder if the uncontested race has brought scores down.

Weighted Voting Amendment - 37.9% in favour, 37.9% against
I think this is hilarious! I look forward to engaging more on this issue (put me on a Radio show folks!) and attempting to address concerns / make compromises to the reform so we can get to a comfortable place.

Thanks for running this poll, Maowi. I am a little disappointed neither of the two polls "re-ran" the JayDee-Kaz-McEntire election! My sense is that poll respondents are the more politically engaged citizens and that skews more towards wanting competitive elections. Perhaps Jaydee is being punished for not having a competitor (part of why I've always said I think that incumbents should welcome a challenger, as grievances can bubble under the surface without a direct challenge). Alternatively, maybe some factors out of Jaydee's control (and others within it) are more responsible for pulling down approval ratings.

Now we just need some more domestic coverage, queue up a radio show or two!

Surprised I even got any approval rating despite my short time in office, hopefully I can get some of the things done in the coming days to weeks

Nice article. Can't say I'm massively surprised about the domestic approval ratings. I think the Wars have taken centre stage recently. I do wonder why this poll didn't conduct questions for ministers that resigned such as Lime and myself? I served the majority of the term, and I think it's a bit unfair to judge Prov when he's only been in the role for a couple of weeks (I think he's doing a great job)

By the way, I'm not complaining. I think my approval rating would have been quite low (deservedly.)

Thanks to all for filling in! Noted the comment about my comments, sticking to my word, and engaging with stakeholders - though I definitely don't think I've broke my word (?) at all on anything, i'm always happy to take feedback to improve! Whoever left this comment, feel free to DM me more details and I'll do what I can to get better

Man, one anonymous commenter is just not having it with the administration :p Also the people who voted that they’re dissatisfied with the presidential field should put their money where their mouth is and vote to re-open elections.

I do wonder why this poll didn't conduct questions for ministers that resigned such as Lime and myself? I served the majority of the term, and I think it's a bit unfair to judge Prov when he's only been in the role for a couple of weeks (I think he's doing a great job)
This is fair!! Maybe it would have been worth having a separate question for minister vs ministry in this poll, like we've done at times in the past. It might have been interesting in Radio especially!

Nice article. Can't say I'm massively surprised about the domestic approval ratings. I think the Wars have taken centre stage recently. I do wonder why this poll didn't conduct questions for ministers that resigned such as Lime and myself? I served the majority of the term,
You raise a good point here Xecrio, there should have been some question for Ministers who resigned and such
I think it's a bit unfair to judge Prov when he's only been in the role for a couple of weeks (I think he's doing a great job)
It’s ok, I think it’s a small win to get almost 30% satisfaction rating!
By the way, I'm not complaining. I think my approval rating would have been quite low (deservedly.)
I would not say so :)

One of the string of comments I genuinely don't understand is the person whose convinced that "war" is as much of a political motivator and calculus in Euro as it is IRL.

I think using us being at war as the crutch for why JayDee has no opponents is weapons grade copium.

Reactions: Vor
Great analysis Maowi!

I did write the comment about being active but inefficient and that is probably because of the war taking a lot of activity that wasn't being used in an "efficient" (domestic) way

I agree we should bring back ministry questions

One of the string of comments I genuinely don't understand is the person whose convinced that "war" is as much of a political motivator and calculus in Euro as it is IRL.

I think using us being at war as the crutch for why JayDee has no opponents is weapons grade copium.
And Aex, I did leave that comment about JayDee not being FDR. I certainly think war shouldn't be people's motivator not to run but it is puzzling to me that nobody is running.

Maybe it's the fact that we're just in a sort of "demographic slump" where not many of our citizens don't want to run for president, especially after Ica's and Lloen's terms, who both for different reasons never want to be president again. It's definitely stressful to be president and many of our current citizens come here to avoid stress.

There is definitely some work to be done to make the presidency and region in general more friendly for women, which I definitely commend JayDee for and hasn't been mentioned enough here imo, but that would also reduce stress for the other genders too because that's how it works

It's still weapons grade copium, imo, to think that a major part of the electorate really factors in war, overall, in their electoral calculus (ie, not wanting to change a horse midstream); war in NS isn't like RL, and the way Euro views war is very different than more "globalized" regions. I find it hard to believe the average citizen really thinks that the next President would fundamentally alter the trajectory of our current wars. Unless someone crops up to run on ending the War and completely changing out overall alliances, which I highly doubt.

The more realistic reason as to why JayDee seems to be able to coast to victory is a much more mundane amalgam which we've seen before: he's not doing so poorly that he has a rush of candidates nipping at his heals, he's rallied a decent enough social circle and political alliances himself and by tapping Rand that there's not really many potential candidates who are motivated to run against him, and this 90 day term overlaps with important holidays for folks all all ages.

The more realistic reason as to why JayDee seems to be able to coast to victory is a much more mundane amalgam which we've seen before: he's not doing so poorly that he has a rush of candidates nipping at his heals, he's rallied a decent enough social circle and political alliances himself and by tapping Rand that there's not really many potential candidates who are motivated to run against him, and this 90 day term overlaps with important holidays for folks all all ages.
I just realized this term runs until Jan 5th 😬

Back